> Kings of War Campaign, Greed and Adventure - Act 1
GuppyShark
post Feb 23 2013, 12:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,730

Greed and Adventure - Act 1
A Kings of War Campaign

Players control small fiefdoms who happen to share one common border - a desert wasteland. The desert is difficult to traverse and has been long considered a secure border by these nations who have been happy to devote their attentions to other, more immediate worries.

While there have long been rumours about an ancient empire long ago buried by the sands, there has never been any evidence to this effect - until now.

An archeologist has returned from the desert with an artifact he claims to have recovered from an entire city built with precious metals. The artifact appears to be a mundane piece of structural support, except that it is made of gold - surely a terrible choice of material to build with?

Suddenly that neglected border becomes of keen interest and kingdoms that have previously never met in battle begin to clash as they search the desert for the lost city of gold....

Rules: Standard rules from the KoW rulebook. Each player begins with a city and two towns. Players may change force lists at any time, however the total points must remain the same and units removed from the list lose any Experience they may have acquired.

The campaign will run for six months, each being one campaign turn. At the conclusion of the campaign, a victor will be determined by group consensus or GM fiat. The winner will then have an advantage in Act 2.

Empires:

Orcs - Gormath

Kingdom of Men - Anc001

Capital City: Consul City
Town 1: Anville
Town 2: Beaverton

First Army (1385 pts)
Current Location: Rofyll
Foot Guard Regiment

Beaverton Garrison (500 pts)
Current Location: Beaverton

Consul City Garrison (1000 pts)
Current Location: Consul City

Kingdom Of Voaand - Dent
A desolate and forgotten land from which rumours of an evil stirring are emerging.
Capital City: Dorgate
Town 1: Witchmoor
Town 2: Redmoor

Forces:

Undead Scourge (2000 pts Field Army) Cmd: Zoárd the Dark
Current Location: Witchmoor
Forces unrevealed

Dorgates Black Guard: (500 pts Garrison) Cmd: Tarcal the Possessed
Current Location: Dorgate
Forces unrevealed

The Dark Omen: (500 pts Garrison) Cmd: Vigor Chaodan
Current Location: Redmoor
Forces unrevealed

Kindred of Ittelrac - GuppyShark
An Elven territory centered around the maritime port city Ittelrac.

Capital City: Ittelrac
Town 1: Ayoelle
Town 2: Rofyll

Forces:

1st Ittelrac Field Army (2000 pts)
Current Location: Anville
Forces unrevealed

Rofyll Garrison (245 pts)
Current Location: Ittelrac
Palace Guard Regiment
Spearmen Regiment (2 XP, +Elite)
Bowmen Troop (2 XP, +Elite)
Bowmen Troop

Ayoelle Garrison (500 pts)
Current Location: Ayoelle
Forces unrevealed

Interested parties please PM GuppyShark for inclusion. smile.gif

This post has been edited by GuppyShark: Mar 4 2013, 04:00 PM

--------------------
Project Tiny - 10mm Tinymans & Uncharted Seas
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Feb 23 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Friendly Cutthroat

Member No.: 2,056

F&%king archeologists, man, always digging up mummies...

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
Australian tabletop game studio launching Mecha Strike Arena, 10mm gladiatorial arena combat
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Feb 24 2013, 11:19 AM
Post #3

Turn 1 - "What makes you think there is even anything out there worth fighting for?"

The player with the most victory points will be approached by the archeologist.

The Siege of Rofyll

It had been a simple plan. Elegant, even.

Launch a pre-emptive strike on the human army camped in Anville. Crush it with numerical superiority, then strike at Consul City, ensuring they could not interfere with the Ittelrac forces searching for the lost city.

One slight problem.

When the 1st Ittelrac reached Anville, the human army was gone....

I hadn't expected our first game of the campaign to be a town siege, so I was caught off guard. As my defending force was so small, I could not afford to upgrade the town walls to stone. So I had two solid units of Elven infantry and two Bowmen troops to try to hold a wooden palisade against the might of a human army.

It was some consolation that this army does not have an artillery train so I was not going to witness the walls be cannoned into oblivion. However, this army had tricks of its own up its sleeve, as I was soon to discover...

IPB Image

The many regiments of human infantry advanced. The majority of blocks carried improvised ladders that they would use to scale the palisades.

IPB Image

Unfortunately, we had to improvise on the table. The Wooden Palisades in the Siege rules are substantial fortifications that can resist substantial damage and can hold entire units on walkways, from which they can either shoot down or defend. In order to deliniate their boundaries, we were forced to just throw down plastic wall sections - but in 'reality' they were high and deep. The gap you can see represents the gate section, which was more heavily fortified than the wall sections.

The Elven Bowmen spotted a smaller unit of human infantry with swords and shields that were advancing with ladders. They apepared to be the human elites and so the Elven archers loosed volley after volley of arrows at them.

On the Elven left, however, a bigger threat came to bear - a unit of human light cavalry were equipped with a magical weapon that unleashed a horrific firestorm that blasted over the Elven fortification and devestated the Spearmen defending that flank.

IPB Image

Appropriately it was this elite unit of human infantry who were the first to scale the walls. The Elven Bowmen, seeing the walls were lost, retreated from the walls.

The Palace Guard, roaring defiance, set upon the Foot Guard and slew them.

IPB Image

This heroism was for naught as the human onslaught could not be stopped.

The Palace Guard champion ordered the retreat, and the Palace Guard fought to the last man, holding the human army in place while the surviving Elves retreated to Itterlac.

The town of Rofyll had fallen. The way to Ittelrac was open.

This post has been edited by GuppyShark: Feb 24 2013, 02:54 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Feb 24 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #4

Post-Battle Thoughts

This was a really atmospheric battle, although I grant that the photos seem a little weird because the tiny walls weren't reflective of how imposing the walls should have been. It evoked memories of Total War sieges so I suppose they were doing their jobs!

Battering Rams are very disappointing - my advice to anyone doing a Kings of War Siege is don't go through walls, go over them. Walls are hard to bring down - they're massive.

Strategically, I'm in a really tough spot now. My army is camped in Alex's territory, but he has a 1000 pts garrison between my army and his capital, and I have only what's left of this garrison between his army and my capital. I am definately going to have to just march back home to avoid losing the campaign in the second turn!

EDIT: Oh, so THIS is a seperate post? I have NFI how this forum software works anymore.

This post has been edited by GuppyShark: Feb 24 2013, 03:09 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
anc001
post Feb 24 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,628

The siege mechanics are simple and logical, just like the rest of KOW!
This was the most fun I've had with a fantasy wargame in ages.

I will hope to make some playable walls for next month.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Mar 4 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Added Dent's kingdom, thanks Dent smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Mar 30 2013, 09:10 PM
Post #7

Week 2

Frank was thoroughly bored.

He was sitting in a tree on a hill that overlooked one of the main roads that led to the elven city Rofyll, that had fallen to the human army only recently. As part of the occupation, they were monitoring merchant traffic. A puppet government had been estbalished and things seemed to be going smoothly. The elves were docile and didn't seem to much care that instead of paying taxation to the city of Ittelrac, that they were now paying taxation to Consul City.

Dusk was approaching, so Frank lit a lantern.

That's when everything changed.

He heard someone hiss below him. A man with clawed hands, no hair and tattered rags was at the base of the tree, looking right up at him. The lantern light reflected off sharp teeth.

Frank panicked and fell out of the tree. He hit the ground and scrambled to his feet, drawing his sword. The scout troop leader charged in from nowhere and stabbed the bald man, then yelled at him to flee.

The woods suddenly came alive with moans, hisses, growls, howls - all unnatural.

Not wasting any time, Frank started to run. He had to let the army know what was coming.

The Second Battle of Rofyll

IPB Image

Consul City's army marched in force to confront an invasion force of Undead from the Kingdom of Voaand, led by Zoárd the Dark, Vampire Lord.

The human cavalry was launching a flanking attack to the Undead left, hoping to swing around and neutralise the Balefire Catapults that were routing entire units of human infantry.

As this was happening, a third army arrived...

IPB Image

[ random table edge, I really wanted to come in on the opposite side... ]

The army of Ittelrac, seeking to drive the invaders from their territory - no matter who.

The Elven cavalry on the right smashed through Undead wraiths and wights and other unholy abominations, before finding themselves embroiled in a stand off with Werewolves ensconced on high ground. Some of the cavalry rode on, eager to take out the Undead artillery, while the rest of the Elven army unleashed a barrage of missile fire that hammered the Werewolves into submission.

Ultimately the Undead prevailed - their second wave of werewolves and mummies drove all before them, and the armies of the living were forced to withdraw.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post May 29 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #8

So how is this going, you ask? (You didn't? Oh.)

There were a few scheduling kerfuffles the last few months, so no further official campaign games were played.

However, I am happy to say we have continued to slowly grow the group.

I now have three armies (GW Elves, Mantic Orcs, Mantic Dwarves) so last session we had a large multiplayer game where humans and dwarves allied against the forces of Ittelrac.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by GuppyShark: Jun 15 2013, 03:47 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 10:25 PM