> Historical gaming 2017, A listing of possibles and probables
b20f08
post Sep 30 2017, 04:19 PM
Post #21

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Good turnout expected tomorrow At least seven confirmed from our historical gaming group (plus hangers-on). Lol. FoGN, Rapid Fire, X-Wing, boardgames. Usual outing report to follow. Cheers.

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all." Yip Man and anyone else

My Blogsite
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Oct 2 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #22

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Last-minute cancellations and family emergencies did not deter those who did show up today. FoGN, X Wing and Rapid Fire were gamed at the get-together. Good to see Angus who took time from his busy work schedule to make an appearance. Keen to try out his Perry's travel battles when he has a spare time.

He and Simon had an engaging time playing one of the scenarios from the event scheduled for late October. From a casual observer viewpoint, the game ebbed and flowed as Angus' Swedes repeatedly tried to break through Simon's French lines. But the Swedes weren't able to penetrate as the French line buckled but did not break. The Swedes/Finns proved to be good as a firing line (10 dice in extended line is nothing to sneeze at, as Simon repeatedly found out) as they continually caused Simon's infantry pain, especially on the hill overlooking the farmhouse. And Angus' lone cavalry unit superbly held its own against the two light cav units of Simon's mixed division, keeping at bay. But it became obvious that it was a tipping point that would turn the game, and Simon's flanking heavy cavalry who would provide that push. However, in saying that, Angus' defeat was more an orderly withdrawal, a gentlemanly conduct that would see these two opponents prepared to "fight another day".

While the FoGN took a leisurely stroll down the morning and afternoon, Glynn showed up rearing for some dice gaming. He kindly took over an X Wing game I was in the middle of with my grandson, managing to eventually emerge victor. For me, it's a good intro from my grandson who likes X Wing and is keen to learn. At the age of nine he gets exposure to playing someone else other than his grandpa who tends to be a cranky old impatient fart. Thanks Glynn.

As I was busy rushing around to assist in providing a decent feed for my guests, I wasn't able to play a game for a while. But when I was finally free, Glynn and I had a very quick game of Rapid Fire. His Germans versus my hapless Kiwi battalion. I had laid out a "busy" table with my Kiwis crossing the stream edge (on my side) while Glynn rushed forwards to the castle in the centre of the table. Its prominence dictated the game's tactics as I also made for the castle. But my run was perilous as my company and company HQ were quickly suppressed by the Pz IVs lurking on my right flank who rushed over to assist their own infantry's attempt to reach the castle. Unfortunately, the entrance was closer to my side of the table and my two companies were likely to reach it first. Except the German artillery (two Wespe and a Hummel) laid down such an accurate fire that they managed to destroy one of the transports. Debussing like ants from an anthill, my guys were mowed down Jerry small arms fire.

But I was able to retaliate with my own 25 pdrs and advancing Shermans who rushed over to assist. But one of them was knocked out by the Pz IVs who mowed down the survivors after another withering artillery bombardment. By this time, it was game over as I had lost well over 20 guys forcing me to take a moral test, which I failed causing all my infantry to rout! A kick in the guts while down. Nasty!

My other infantry were taken care of by the enemy PAK-40 (75mm) as it knocked out the lead truck, causing my infantry to debuss into heavy small arms fire from Jerry hiding in one of the buildings. My Bren gun carrier company was making a dash through cover on my right. But it had a hidden MG post to contend with. And somehow I thought I wouldn't make it anyway.

It was a good revision of a game. Took roughly an hour to complete. Even though I got smashed, I love this game because it's less tank-centric than other more popular systems; the infantry still count on the battlefield. As an ex-infantiere, this bias toward mechanised warfare in gaming cries out as an abomination (lol) to someone of my ilk. But the awful truth is the life of a foot soldier on the battlefield back in the 80s was measured in seconds, so I was taught many times by my superiors and published facts at the time. Nowadays, those odds are probably still the same or worse, but I wouldn't know because I'm no longer involved in the military. Besides, technology these days plays such a pivotal role in warfare these days - spies planes dictating who or what gets taken out, etc. Very high-tech and therefore very much out of my league to understand. So, naturally, I will gravitate towards games where the foot slogger still mattered, as with Rapid Fire. Even though I "got wasted", the fact that the break point is determined by the infantry makes this game very appealing to someone who likes to throw stones at the spaceman. armata_PDT_34.gif Rant over.

PS: No pictures. Too busy to take photos.
======================================================
EDIT POST: 2 OCT
Next month's get-together is at Bryce's hacienda. I'll be taking X Wing and Rapid Fire. Keen to give Travel Battle a go as well.
EDIT POST: 3 OCT
Just to allay any concerns regarding this upcoming 20mm FoGN event scheduled for 28 Oct at Magic Vault, Alderley. This event is going ahead regardless of turnout. Reasons are varied but the main one is the lack of serious 20mm tournaments in Brisbane, my hometown. With rules catering to 20mm (or 1/72 as it was commonly called in the old days before someone pointed out that it's not 1/72, but who's nitpicking?), there is no reason such events like FoGN or Rapid Fire (scheduled for next year) can't go ahead; all it takes is someone to put their hands up and make it work. While such events will obviously remain small, at least they will exist and therefore offer something for many who have 20mm armies but have no competitive outlet.

On the competitive note, yes, that's essential to playing tournaments. But with my events, the main aim is more towards getting those who don't attend tournaments often out and into a casual social setting and sharing a fun few hours with some incentives at the end for their effort. 20mm armies are more affordable and are an interesting scale in their own right. An examination of historical tactics rather than gaming competitiveness. A tricky objective but nonetheless achievable. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Oct 3 2017, 09:58 AM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski

My Blogsite
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Oct 28 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #23

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

HXIII report in FoGN link. Cheers.
=========================================================
POST EDIT: 5 NOV
Just a reminder that I'm no longer affiliated with QGG. Amicable parting of the ways, or wayz as some people spell it. Until they consider it viable to set up a generic solo wargaming sub forum page here, I'll post elsewhere. But I'll continue to pop in on the odd occasion, and post something irrelevant and maybe irreverent.

Gaming-wise, I have been busy the past two weeks. Firstly, there was HX III which ran well. And then I raced to finish off the last three games of Season Two, Lion Rampant solo campaign in time for the November edition of Quarterstaff, out in the next week or two.

It's been an exhausting but fun time with these last three games seeing some familiar characters die off unexpectedly, like Judoval Candot, Sir Edmund Blakudder, Rudolf von Lemmslauer, and Jersu de Baxal - my main inspiration for doing this narrative in the first instance.

The last three games have really shaped how I play this solo campaign now in ways I hadn't anticipated or expected. I've modified some of the core scenarios from the rulebook, even introducing new ones like my siege scenarios (showcasing these in Season Three next year with siege artillery as well).

The key to many of these recent changes has rested with the character's skill level. The command element has been instrumental in shaping some of the modification of game play whereby the all-seeing God-view of the player is removed or minimised to a satisfactory level. It can present a dry, almost clinical approach to the solo gaming. But that's probably for the better as the narrative has always been paramount with me, i.e., you write a story and then game it!

And I've really had fun creating and often expanding on these narratives, as some fans may attest.

Of course, this will be covered in greater depth in the next few issues of Quarterstaff which I've decided to make available by email subscription.

I will also be using the links in my signature to add some details of what's happening with some of the Lion Rampant narratives and campaigns. But the full description and analysis will all be contained in Quarterstaff. Most of the photo reports will feature there as well.

Once again, thanks to the guys at QGG - Steve and Jason and others - for making me feel like part of a family. Happy gaming. Cheers.
EDIT POST: 15 NOV
Quarterstaff Nov 2017 issue emailed out to those on the mailing list. Moving blogsite at the moment. Busy painting and table making. Will be operating exclusively from blogsite once it's set up. Cheers.

New blogsite now up and running. Will start posting shortly. Just a reminder: Quarterstaff is FREE to anyone who wants a copy. Just PM me to add you to the mailing list. Cheers.
=====================================================
EDIT POST: 16 NOV
Like Ace Levy said in the shower scene from Starship Troopers: "I'm going career. Officer. All the way..." Lol.

Liking my new blog/website thus far. Link. No doubt the problems will arrive some time later, like unwanted party guests. But while it's all cheers and free-flowing refreshments.
=====================================================
EDIT POST: 27 NOV
Updated blogsite. Ran a small campaign of PL tonight. Cuban Missile Crisis 1962. Air Force jocks pulled up their sox and dished it out to them damned Commies. But them fine senoritas and their cigars and salsa proved too good for them good ol' boyz. Had to settle for a reprimand from the base commander for failing to achieve the campaign's goals.

IPB Image
====================================================
EDIT POST: 29 NOV
The Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. Perspective from the USAF who ran a Medium (Long) campaign. Overview here.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Nov 29 2017, 01:22 PM

--------------------

My Blogsite
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Dec 19 2017, 06:36 PM
Post #24

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Happy Festivus...

IPB Image
===================================================
EDIT POST: 19 JAN 2018
New writeup of Season 3: Winter Of Our Discontent is now on the blogsite. Scenario One is called The Ravening. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Jan 18 2018, 01:36 PM

--------------------

My Blogsite
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd January 2018 - 12:08 PM