Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Now Own A LOT of Tyranid Squigs, More RT Era Tyranid Squigs in One Place Then You've Seen Before
Gorechilds Protege
post Oct 9 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,556

I've been collecting Rogue Trader Era Tyranids and Genestealer Cultists now for over 4 years. Driven by a desire to have a tournament level army of official models that didn't look like everyone else's Tyranids I went old school. 2nd edition tyranids I own quite a lot of but the focus has been the rt era stuff as a lot of it carried over to 2nd ed, at least the genestealer cult stuff did, so I feel posting these here is warranted. Anyways, Tyranid (or ork as same models used) Squigs are some of the hardest to attain models when collecting rt era Tyranids becausethere is this unjust feeling to have them at stupid prices. When we're talking $10-$15 USD for a single squig the size of an epic 40,000 genestealer it's a bloody joke. Up until this huge find and score, I had less then 20 including 7 genestealer familiars I used for padding, and that's from 4 years of collecting. I was resigned to just not having a huge squig swarm prescence...now however...I have a significant amount.

The Original background for Tyranid Squigs aka Ripper Swarms amounts to this:

The Tyranids captured Orks, and genetically engineered them into the squigs/rippers of the Tyranids. Orks hearing of this, stormed Tyranid hive ships to rescue their compatriots. Discovering them transformed as squigs the Orks were enraged but enough of the latent orkiness remained in the squigs that they recognised the Orks and the Orks them, as kin. The Orks gathered as many squigs as they could as they retreated from the hive ships and over many generations cultivated and evolved the squigs towards the Ork squigs of today, whilst the tyranids evolved them to iron our all orky free will and make them distinctly Tyranid!

This is rather awesome and it's a shame that these early squig/ripper swarm origins have been removed from the codicices and overall fluff of recent editions (well even 2nd edition for a large part).

Anyways, the paint jobs aren't mine, but the models are and as time permits the army will get painted and I'll have an army of absolute win to put up here (and then I'll start on my large 2nd ed Tyranid collection haha!). The paint scheme will blend the tyranid reds with the genestealer cult purples and blues to act as a visual link between both forces as one and the same. So without further ado, all of my Tyranid Squigs:

5* Big squig 1 (Grabber Slasher)
5* Big Squig 2 (Large Spider)
24* Squig 3 (Rat Squig)
21* Squig 4 (Squig Hound)
16* Squig 5 (Small Spider Squig)
20* Squig 6 (Stilt Squig)
5* Squig 7 (Mohawk Squig)
14* Squig 8 (Medium Round Squig)
16* Squig 9 (Small Round Squig)
16* Squig 10 (Stegadon Squig)
13* Squig 11 (Slimer Squig)
18* Squig 12 (Tiny Round Squig)

9*Shaggy Haired Familiars/Squigs??
3* Random Squig/Familiars???
9* Running Mouth Open Familiar/Squig???

23* Genestealer Familiars

217 total models

54.25 bases of 4

(so 1 spare model!)

IPB Image

The 27 genestealer familiars at the bottom of the above, in the below pic, the models below are the ones my brother is getting (there are 6 stilt squigs in the one below under the familiars just they are standing up):

IPB Image

SWARM ON THE MOVE!!!

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Gorechilds Protege: Oct 9 2014, 11:15 PM

--------------------
My 'Oldhammer' Tyranids and Rainbow Warriors Blog

QUOTE(Starfire @ Aug 18 2012, 07:22 PM) *

But seriously, I'm amazed by just how little GP has written. On a scale of 1 to Gorechild's Protege, this is nothing. It's like a Heavy Incinerator with which you've just rolled a 1 to wound.

"Don't try to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors, try to be better than yourself." - Faulkner.

QUOTE(Paddlepop Lion @ Mar 21 2012, 10:40 AM) *

All of these things just smash you unforgivingly and theres nothing you can do to stop them. Its completely stupid to take this army the way it is, you will degfinately lose every game no matter how good you are.

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dthrone
post Oct 10 2014, 04:08 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,766

That is one insane collection!!! armata_PDT_11.gif
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Oct 10 2014, 08:15 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15,763

That is indeed more Tyranid RT squigs than I have seen in one place before smile.gif

I look forward to seeing you paint this lot up!

--------------------
+Quote Post
waargh
post Oct 10 2014, 08:29 AM
Post #4

Ruining the hobby

Member No.: 633

pretty jelly bro

+Quote Post
ThatWallyGuy
post Oct 10 2014, 02:18 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 13,305

Dat focus

--------------------
Only The Insane Can Truly Prosper
Only Those Who Can Prosper Can Truly Judge What Is Sane
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Oct 10 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #6

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

That's his trademark. He has the finest collection of out of focus yet to be stripped RT models in the world wink.gif

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Oct 10 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 594

Awesome smile.gif

--------------------
On the Work Bench: Always Quar!!, Now - Napoleonic french!!

"I will say this: Uber Kroot is mad. It is the good kind of mad, like your uncle who has a harmonica and breaks into 'Knocking on Heavens Door' at 9:30 in the pub after two glasses of rum and coke." Red Dragon
+Quote Post
Gorechilds Protege
post Oct 10 2014, 05:10 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Oct 10 2014, 03:21 PM) *

That's his trademark. He has the finest collection of out of focus yet to be stripped RT models in the world wink.gif

It was put to me that the reason my hands shake sporadically is as a side effect of large use of the ventolin machine for asthma when I was younger. I haven't followed the science up on it, but my hands do shake to varying degrees and even when they aren't shaking there's a tiny amount in a camera shot. Imagine how frustrating it is to paint models at times 9especially when you're one of those people that actually does care about quality standards of painting!). In any case, at some point, I'll acquire a tripod and stuff will be smoother. however, to be fair, this is a pretty focused, non-blurred (I prefer to think of it as motion captured shots rather then blurred, gives the impression of them being alive! tongue.gif) shot:

IPB Image

--------------------

But seriously, I'm amazed by just how little GP has written. On a scale of 1 to Gorechild's Protege, this is nothing. It's like a Heavy Incinerator with which you've just rolled a 1 to wound.

"Don't try to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors, try to be better than yourself." - Faulkner.

All of these things just smash you unforgivingly and theres nothing you can do to stop them. Its completely stupid to take this army the way it is, you will degfinately lose every game no matter how good you are.

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
+Quote Post
Gorechilds Protege
post Oct 10 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #9

P.S. Chaplain_Fortis,

I'm moving to Melbourne Sunday week and the rt stuff will be heading down with me. Just sayin'. wink.gif

--------------------

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Oct 11 2014, 05:00 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 15,763

QUOTE(Gorechilds Protege @ Oct 10 2014, 04:43 PM) *

P.S. Chaplain_Fortis,

I'm moving to Melbourne Sunday week and the rt stuff will be heading down with me. Just sayin'. wink.gif

He is probably perfectly charming in real life. ohmy.gif

The best thing you can do is get a tripod and a remote to operate the shutter (you could easily get both pretty cheap - less than $50 - I would think).

Even just resting the camera on something (the desk, bracing you arm against a wall, etc etc) when you take shots will help, I have found.

I don't know about the painting though...

This post has been edited by Warburton: Oct 11 2014, 06:38 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Gorechilds Protege
post Oct 11 2014, 02:06 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Warburton @ Oct 11 2014, 06:00 AM) *

He is probably perfectly charming in real life. ohmy.gif

Me or Scott here?

Archon_Cryx here in Sydney when he first met me sort of stared at me for about 5 minutes his mouth slightly agape before stating very bluntly 'I don't get it, this isn't the gorechilds protege/auretious taak we all know from online, you're not an absolute as shole!' - online it's far easier to just state things and come off brash and douchebag like. The general rule is you'll never meet any of those people so why bother with pleasantries? Then you meet people and are like, 'Hurnh.'

The best thing you can do is get a tripod and a remote to operate the shutter (you could easily get both pretty cheap - less than $50 - I would think).

Even just resting the camera on something (the desk, bracing you arm against a wall, etc etc) when you take shots will help, I have found.

A friend whom I'm moving in with has a bunch of camera's he is taking on a riding trip later in the year throughout Vietnam. So that may be an option too (just get him to take the photo's haha!). I just haven't learnt the ins and outs of my camera is all. The manual is like 200 pages and it boggles (I hate reading computer based pdf's!). In any case, bracing of my arm or otherwise doesn't help, hands still shake a bit, But thanks for the advice.

I don't know about the painting though...

I've painted 1 hunter slayer termagant and 1 squig out of the collection. The rest is how it came whn I bought or traded for it. heh. tongue.gif

--------------------

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Oct 11 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,286

Stick it on the little flower symbol, it'll be right.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Oct 11 2014, 04:02 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 594

I like the older nids they look creepier...

--------------------
On the Work Bench: Always Quar!!, Now - Napoleonic french!!

"I will say this: Uber Kroot is mad. It is the good kind of mad, like your uncle who has a harmonica and breaks into 'Knocking on Heavens Door' at 9:30 in the pub after two glasses of rum and coke." Red Dragon
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Oct 11 2014, 04:32 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 362

GP, I bought a $30 portable folding lightbox off Ebay, it came with 2 lights and a stand for the camera. I set the camera up and use the 10 sec delay function, so the camera is rock steady by the time it goes off. My pics aren't brilliant, but FAR better than they were.

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
Gorechilds Protege
post Jun 1 2020, 08:41 PM
Post #15

Hey everyone.

I'm totally still collecting RT (1st ed) and 2nd ed Tyranids and Genestealer Cult (though mainly Tyranids), 6 years on. I had a year or three where I didn't really acquire anything new, but the past year that sort of exploded.

A few months past, I finally hit my goal of a full 6 troops choices of 30 Hunter Slayer Termagants...but I had 182, and, well, Youc an't be having the odd numbers like that and not full units so, ummm, I may have continued acquiring them. Once the post hits me (thanks COVID-19 postal delays!) I will have 203 Hunter Slayer Termagants.

Yeah...

I might have justa little problem, lol.

Then...my mind sort of was like "Youc an't have more 1st edition Termagants then 2nd edition, that'd be AWESOME but it just wouldn't be right, so ummm, I may have a whole mess of 2nd ed termagants too now...pretty sure the metals outnumber the plastics...nit sure exact numbers. I'm afraid to count.

I sort of lost count after I hit 9 Zoanthropes, I have anywhere between 11 and more...my 2nd edition Biovores are in the same boat, I just sort of managed to go from a handful to a lot really fast thanks to group lots picked up.

Tyranid Warriors...okay, so after a decade of collecting RT era Tyranids, earlier in the year I finally found and won in evilbay auction, a full unit of 3 of the very first release metal Tyranid Warriors (they were the last of the rt era Tyranid sculpts I needed to have at least 1 of every Tyranid Sculpt from rogue trader). They were part of a large mass of 2nd edition tyranids which I mostly won (I know maxo_q was bidding on them too, but I managed to win them so umm, yay! wink.gif ) and there were 4 groups of 3 2nd edition Tyranid metal Warriors for auction as well. It blew my mind that I scored these for around $12 AUD each and the 2nd edition warriors went for about $16 Aud each. It just goes to show how few people understand the rarity of these models. Essentially, they look like the plastic tyranid warriors that everyone knows and loves from space crusade and 2nd edition 40k, plastic with 2 boneswords and rending claws or a death spitter and rending claws, but the metal ones were 2 boneswords and rending claws. They are differentiated firstly by6 being in metal, but also by being slightly larger scaled in height and size with fatter heads. Anyhow, stuff is inbound still, but assuming it all gets here (including my first ever lot from Italy, the bloke was very cool but said how he needed to fill out 11 pages of customs forms to ship internationally from Italy, crazy!) I am estimating in both plastic and metal, to have in the range of 60 to 80 1st/2nd ed Tyranid Warriors.

Yeah.

I Know.

I hit like 7 or 8 Hive Tyrants and a half dozen lictors and lost track of the numbers there.

I thought I only had like 7 gargoyles, turned out i had 34, so with other stuff acquired this year, that jacked past 50 or 60, which, lets face it, is awesome.

Hormagaunts, I was at 154 last count.

genestealers - plastic 1st/2nd ed, 120ish+

1st ed metal purestrains, I will soon have a total of 36. And almost all of them are the first release all metal (metal arms too) models (the 2nd release metal purestrains had plastic arms and were far more common). This is actually insane. Like, stupidly insane.

I am up to 4 Dominators, and I believe I was at 28 mounted genestealer hgybrids including 2 mounted maguses, but I am lacking mounts and whilst I've found the models I want to use for my mounts, they too are long out of production so that's on the 'need toa cquire at some point' list of collectinmg. Also, like 6 or 7 were fake mounted hybrids - the mounted hybrids were literally just on foot hybrids cut at the waist and given the wonky bow-legged horse legs, so lots of paint and awkward angles I totally got duped on 6 or 7 of them but they look near identical so it totally counts.

I was collecting Chaos Snakemen (I am at exactly 40 of these awesome models, all 5 sculpts well represented!!!) to use as Hormagaunt proxies for my rt tyranids, they fit in as the genestealer cult lists allowed the use of beastmen packs with hand weapons, shields, and hafted weapons, all of which the snakemen have. They sort of fit in terms of look alongside the Zoats and the Zoat fluff. Not much has changed with my zoat numberts, I just wish I'd acquired more even half a decade ago, they are expensive these days. I really only need 1 more missile launcher one, as I have 5 of those and another would be 6 for 2 units of Hive Guard proxies. Otherwise, I am at 15 zoats (with 4 dominators to lead them - adding the extra zoat with missile launcher that would be 4 units of 4 zoats and 1 dominator each, so that works out nicely.

The protonid is of course here still, alongside soon to be 2 throned Patriarches (I call the patriarches "Patty") and 5 running Patty's. I was planning on using the on foot Patty's as stand in Lictors for the first ed army, but now that I have so many metal genestealers and broodlords are part of teh modern day tyranid army, well, I have broodlords don't I. But then again itd epend son what edition I run them in.

I have 1 each of the armorcast malefactor, haruspex and Exocrine. I'd love another 2 Exocrines but those are a patience thing as they can be expensive so you just wait. I still don't have the far rarer Dactyliss, that would be awesome and fill out the armorcast aspect of the army nicely.

Finally, I will soon have 15 Screamer Killers.

So yeah...a decade of collecting, not bnad really, it could be far, far worse.

The crap side of all of this is that the past several years I have not had a hobby space, heck I don't even have a desk currently where I live, though I am looking at moving in with a mate from the track (I look after race horses t warwick farm here in Sydney, been doing it for 3 and a half years, I walk an average of 35km's a day 13 days a fortnight most of that leading horses, so I am stupidly fit when itc omes to walking, but don't have a lot of time to game as it's split shifts 4am to 9;30am and 2pm to 4pm each day, throw in taking your horses to the races and that's less time you have free, but I lovbe my job and my horses so that's a positive).

I digress.

i don';t have a hobby space so my hobby has essentially been collecting.

I have collected and continue to collect rogue trader and 2nd edition 40k Tyranids with an insane dedication to it. None of the models have beenc leaned or painted (okay, I did one hunter slayer - people say they have no armour plating but those are the people that didn't pay attention to teh details on the m,odels, as along the entire length of their back and tail are small individual overlapping armour plates...they take a while to clean up,a nd because it's all lead content, you have to do that outside which further restricts hobby ability). So i literally have a ginormous collection of lead right now.

I don't have pics, but I will catalogue this all in the nearish (some time this year) future and decide what i want to work on to get a small force do9ne and dusted and expand on it from there.

I'ma ctually justa little scared of how many models I'm going to have all told, but that's okay.

At this stage, alongside talking to other Tyranid and genestealer cult collectors of rogue trader era models, at least as far as people who are online and have their collections online somewhere...

... I currently have the single largest collection of Rogue Trader Era Tyranids in the world.

It's a big claim, and I'd love to find someone with a larger collection as they are just awesome if a bit quirky, but regardless, at this stage, it appears top be the truth. As I said, a little scary thinking about but someone had to do it.

With 9th edition 40k a month away, it's good inspiration to get in and get some hobby done and hopefully I'll have a tournament level army at some point relatively soon.

Anyhow, felt I needed to update where my collecting/glorified hoarding was at this stage. Pics to follow at some point. smile.gif

P.S. Count Von Bruno - if you are reading this, contact me with how to get in touch with you. I have recently acquired all of the 2nd edition rulebooks and codicies and would love to play against you and your squats and or orks or otherwise at some point. Your collection has always been inspiring, and I'd love to see updated pics of the armies as well as just play vs each other.

This post has been edited by Gorechilds Protege: Jun 1 2020, 08:48 PM

--------------------

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
+Quote Post
Mango
post Jun 2 2020, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 84

thats alot of very heavy metal
+Quote Post
Gorechilds Protege
post Jun 2 2020, 07:26 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Mango @ Jun 2 2020, 05:31 PM) *

thats alot of very heavy metal

I like to think of it in these alternate terms sometimes:

"If a zombie apocalypse occurs, I have enough of a stockpile of improvised lead projectiles to clear a couple of city blocks of the undead."

that said, the metal "alien" hormagaunts make superb caltrops (second only to the old 4th/5th edition WHFB plastic Goblin Spearmen).

But yeah...converting of teh Carnifexes such that I can have a charging phalanx of them lead by Old One Eye (several of the 3rd edition Tyranids I've always liked and will work into the collection too - Old One Eye, The Red Terror {more because I have a few of them, don't ask me how I acquired those I don't even know!}, Raveners (I like these) and the Tyrant Guard (the first ed ones with the spine shield) - these are all quirky and janky enough to still fit the theme and feel of the first and second ed collection), is something I am thinking about. My modellings kills are sweet bugger all, so we'll see where that goes, heh.

This post has been edited by Gorechilds Protege: Jun 2 2020, 07:28 PM

--------------------

Challenge Accepted!

W/L/D = 0/0/1
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th July 2020 - 08:03 PM