Traitor Legions Supplement., First Impressions of the new book
Traitor Legions Supplement., First Impressions of the new book
Dec 10 2016, 08:49 AM
Group: Veteran Members
Joined: 9-August 07
Member No.: 4,363
Did a quick Squizz over it last night. Some interesting things in there:
Some general rules for all legions:
- Any detachment with Chaos Space Marines Faction can be from one of the 9 traitor legion detachment. The detachment retains the chaos marine faction, but has additional modifications:
- All units in Traitor legion detachments that can get VOTLW get it for free.
- Units cannot take marks of Chaos in Alpha Legion, Iron Warriors or Night Lords armies. Any units that automatically have marks cannot be taken (ie. Zerkers, Plague marines, etc).
- Units in Black Legion and Word Bearers detachments can get any mark of Chaos.
- Units in World Eaters, Thousand Sons, Death Guard and Emperors Children detachments can only take the mark of their relevant patron god.
- Cannot take Unique characters in Iron Warriors, Alpha Legion, Night Lord or Word Bearer detachments. Rest can only take their legion specific character (ie, Abaddon in Black legion, Kharn in World Eaters, etc).
Each legion also gets its own relic and warlord traits tables, but I won't list that now (will do that later). Also will get to some the new smaller formations for Plague Marines and Noise marines later on too.
Now, on to the individual legions and their rules:.
- Chosen AND Terminators are now troops choices in BL detachments.
- Improved Hatred - now re-roll hits in each round of combat vs Armies of Imperium.
Big Black Legion Detachment
- Fear + Crusader USRs on all non vehicle units.
- lets deep striking units roll to come on turn 1, on a 3+.
- If warlord can deep strike, you can choose to have him come on automatically on turn 1.
- They can get all the formations from the Black Legion Supplement, still exclusive to Black Legion.
Overall kinda meh in my eyes. Some nice buffs, but the big detachment looks like it is going to be rather expensive to field if you want to make good use of the Deep Strike buff.
However, if you ever wanted to do a pure Chaos Terminator list, now you can if you use a CAD.
- Chosen are Troops instead of Elites.
- Chosen, regular CSM and Cultist units have infiltrate.
- If warlord dies, pick another character in the army and it becomes the warlord. Even get to roll a new warlord trait for the new warlord. This can happen multiple times in a game. Opponent can only get Slay the warlord point if they take out every single Alpha legion character in the army.
Alpha's big Detachment bonuses are:
- all non vehicle units get shrouded on turn 1 (similar to raven guard).
- Any destroyed Cultist units come back on a 4+, will count as being part of whatever formation the original cultist unit was part of.
Edit: Okay, I initially misread the cultist buff. The Alpha's formation ability looks like it stacks with the Lost and the Damned rule, so potentially every time a cultist squad dies, you can get up to 2 new squads back on a 4+. Which is pretty nuts.
Otherwise, they get shrouded on turn 1 like the raven guard. Combined with infiltrate and cover, it could be fun to drop a whole army of infantry with potential 2+ cover into opponents half of the table during deployment so the whole army is in range on turn 1.
Personally, I think Alpha's will be better off as a regular CAD army though, since you can make really good use of those infiltrating Chosen troops.
- Units with VOTLW get FNP 6+.
- Oblits/Mutliators are troops choices in Iron Warriors detachments.
- havocs, oblits, mutilators have tank hunters, Add 1 to damage rolls vs buildings (basically same as vanilla codex Imp fists rule).
- IW units with VOTLW get to re-roll all failed hit rolls vs Imperial fists in each round of close combat, but in return, the Imp fists also gain Hatred vs Iron warrior units.
Big Iron Warriors Detachment:
- Ordnance/Barrage weapons can re-roll the scatter dice.
- all non vehicle units are stubborn, If sitting in or on a fortification, they get fearless instead.
Man, where do I start here - Oblits with Tank hunters and 6+ FNP as troops (with Obsec in a CAD)? And Havocs with Tank hunters?? Yes please. Again, like the Alpha's, I'd be sorely tempted to ignore the big formation and just run them in a CAD. Its mean.
Big formation is solid if you want to bring the heavy artillery. Also one of, if not the only Large Army detachment in the game that includes the option to take Fortifications.
- Units with VOTLW get Fear, Night Vision + Stealth.
- Raptors are troops choices
-enemy units locked in combat with Night Lords units suffer -2 Ld modifier for fear checks.
Big Night Lords Detachment:
- units can re-roll failed charges
- you can choose to automatically have night fight on turn 1, all non vehicle models get +1 cover saves whilst night fight is in effect
I really like this one. Fluffy for Night Lords. Fear still sucks against many armies out there, but for those armies that aren't immune, its going to hurt.
Re-rolling charge ranges is a good reason to take the large detachment. Especially if you take that Raptor formation as an Auxillary where they can deep strike + assault the turn they come on. Much more likely that you'll pull off that charge you need.
And for those of you who want to do a Raptor heavy army, now you can.
- Possessed are troops.
- Word Bearer psykers harness warp charge on 3+ when casting 'conjuration' powers
- Friendly word bearers within 6" of a dark Apostle have zealot (so not just unit the Apostle has joined)
- Models re-roll all failed hit rolls in close combat every round vs Ultramarines units. But in return, Ultra's get Hatred vs Word Bearers Units.
Big Word Bearer formation:
- all non vehicle units gain Crusader USR.
- Start of each turn, pick one character model from the detachment, they get one free roll on boon table. You can't choose a character you've already chosen in a previous turn.
Also only big formation out of the 9 legions that can take the Chaos cultist formation as a core choice.
Have to say, despite it being fluffy, I'm not that impressed with the Word Bearers one. Possessed as troops is okay, but Crimson Slaughter still do it better. Their big detachment is also kinda lackluster, especially after you compare it to every other legion.
The other issue I picked up is that although Word bearers get a boost to casting conjuration powers, they do not get any sort of extra protection against the higher chance of perils non daemon models have when using the Malefic table. Which means unless you're using a daemon prince, there is a good chance of your psykers exploding their own heads every time they try to cast a conjuration power.
On the other hand, they are one of the few traitor legions that can get access to all the marks of chaos, which is probably one of their biggest strengths.
- Models with the 'psyker' cannot be taken in WE detachments.
- Berzerkers are troops.
- Units with VOTLW have Admantium Will, Fearless and Furious Charge
Big World Eaters Detachment:
All non vehicle units comprised entirely of models from this detachment get a free 2D6" move after infiltrators have deployed but before first player takes first turn (roll separately for each unit). (Note: It looks like this also does not prevent said models from charging 1st turn).
- all non vehicle models and 'walkers' from this detachment can re-roll all failed charges.
Very fluffy for World Eaters. As expected they'll be nasty in assaults, with some extra boosts to help them potentially get them into combat even earlier. Slight downside is that a lot of their strength applies on the turn they charge, but drops significantly in subsequent rounds of combat.
I haven't listed them here yet, but as a side note, the World Eaters have got several extremely powerful close combat weapons as relics. WE characters are going to be able to pile on a lot of hurt, most will probably be able to wipe out whole squads on their own. (Honestly, I think they've got some of the best relics out of all legions as there is pretty much nothing on their relic list you wouldn't take).
- Rubric marines are troops
- If any unit with VOTLW is affected by a blessing, increase its invul save by 1 until the start of your next psychic phase.
- re-roll all failed hit rolls in each round of CC vs Space Wolves. Space wolves get hatred vs TS models.
Big Thousand Sons detachment:
- psykers can re-roll the result when rolling on the perils table.
- psykers can cast one more power than their mastery level would normally allow. Eg Ml1 psyker can cast 2 powers, ML2 psyker can cast 3 powers, etc.
Haven't had a chance to look over Wrath of Magnus book, but expecting it to be mostly the same as here. All the new Rubric units, Tzangors, Ahriman and Magnus are available.
As for rules in this book, its about as fluffy as Thousand Sons can get. It's all about casting those psychic powers. Rubrics getting an invul boost in addition to bonuses from other blessings they've had cast on them a pretty powerful rule.
- all units with VOTLW have fearless and FNP USRs, but reduce their Initiative characteristic by 1. Typhus and Plague marines are not affected.
- all units with VOTLW are relentless
- Plague marines are troops.
Big Death Guard Detachment:
- Units re-roll FNP rolls of 1.
- If an enemy unit targets a unit from this formation that is 18" or more away from them, the targeted unit gains stealth whilst that attack is resolved.
Again, very strong legion rules here. Most of the army is going to be running around with Toughness 5 with FNP, bikes up to T6 with FNP. Relentless is huge too. Move and shoot havocs anyone? Also big hordes of troops that can rapid fire their bolters and still charge in the same turn. With Chaos units being able to have a bolter, pistol and CCW, that is going to add up to a lot of damage really quickly. Few armies are going to do the close-mid range combat better than they can.
Very fluffy for Death Guard - they will hit hard and soak up lots of damage. Definitely amongst the best out of all the new legion rules.
- All models with VOTLW get Fearless and 6+ FNP. If unit has an Icon of Excess, FNP goes up to 4+ instead.
- In addition, if a unit with VOTLW is slain in the fight sub phase before it has made any attacks, it can make one single attack at the end of the current initiative step before being removed as a casualty.
- Noise Marines are troops
Emperor's Children Detachment:
- All non vehicle models from the detachment have Combat Drugs. Roll a D6 before the game, apply the result to all models :
3. +1 Initative
4. +1 Strength
5. +1 Toughness
6. +1 Attack
It says all non vehicle models, so even the Cultists units benefit from this one.
Again, I really like this one. Fluffy for Emperors Children. Their big detachment is well worth it for the Combat Drugs - any of the results provides a solid boost for your marine units, although even Initiative boost is good - you'll strike even before most characters unless they are Eldar or Slaanesh units. And as I said before, even the cultists get the drugs, and a couple of those options can potentially turn your cheap Cultist units into real monsters in their own right (+1S or Toughness or attacks).
Overall, mostly solid rules across the board. Death Guard and Iron Warriors are the clear winners, easily some of the strongest rules.
I really liked the Night Lord and Emperors Children formations, both have nice fluffy rules and some strong potential.
Black Legion, World Eaters, Thousand Sons and Alpha Legion all have reasonable abilities as well.
Word Bearers kinda got the short end of the stick on this one. But are still playable.
I'll cover the relics later, but World Eaters and Thousand Sons both got some very solid relics. The Death Guard likewise got some nice fluffy ones as well (including a funky one that lets you effectively turn Cultist units into plague zombies during the game).
As for the other legions, they each get 1-2 good relics whilst the rest are kinda meh, although some will still probably be taken just because they are dirt cheap.
This post has been edited by Spakka: Dec 10 2016, 11:45 AM
Crew Member of Team Pirate Gosford
Clan Nova Cat. Making your victories pyrrhic since 2807.
|Lo-Fi Version||Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 10:17 AM|