Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Terracon XIII 2011 Information Pack
EricH
post Jan 18 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,920

Terracon XIII 2011

Terracon XIII is a Warhammer 40K tournament held in Naracoorte, South Australia.
The tournament consists of 5 games spread over two days, 11th-12th June 2011.
The overall champion (best army) is decided through performance in battle, army presentation, army handicap, sportsmanship and army theme.
Armies must be painted to enter Terracon.

The aim of Terracon is to find, from all the players, an army that has been led by a talented general that has succeeded in a range of missions, that shows all round hobby excellence in painting and background, and has been played in a sportsmanlike manner. This army should therefore best represent the pinnacle of our war-gaming hobby in all aspects.

PAYMENT DETAILS

Cost in 2011 is $45. There are only 100 spots available, and payment secures a place in order of payments received, so get in quick!

Direct Deposit to:
Terracon
BSB: 015670
Account: 532293609

Please put your full name on the deposit reference so that I know who you are.
If for any reason you are unable to pay via direct deposit, then please contact me via PM on WAU.

SCHEDULE

Friday 10 June
3:30pm Set up hall with tables and terrain
5:00pm Soccer club open

Saturday 11 June
8:30am Registration open at town hall
9:00am Player briefing
9:30am – 12:00pm Game 1
12:00pm – 12:30pm Lunch
12:30pm – 3:00pm Game 2
3:10pm – 5:30pm Game 3
6.00pm Town hall closes

Sunday 12 June
9:00am – 9:30am Players choice judging
9:30am Player briefing
9:40am – 12:00pm Game 4
12:00pm – 12:30pm Lunch
12:30pm – 3:00pm Game 5
4:00pm Awards ceremony
5.00pm Close

ARMY LISTS

Armies are to be comprised of 1500 points and follow the force organization chart. Only official codices will be allowed. Armies from Imperial armour, fan dexes, out dated codices, etc will not be accepted.

Army lists are required 2 weeks before the tournament (28 May 2011) to enable a panel to judge the handicap.
To submit your army list, please download the PDF or XLS file from the link below, fill it out, and email it to terracon2011@hotmail.com with the subject title “Terracon – Your Name – Your Army”
For example... “Terracon – John Smith – Eldar”

Click here to download the PDF file
Click here to download the XLS file

I will also accept a list created with Army Builder, providing it is saved as a PDF file.

No other method of army list submission will be accepted. If for any reason you are unable to submit your list via this method, please contact me at least 3 weeks before the tournament (21 May 2011). If your army list is not received by the due date, point penalties will apply.

OBJECTIVE MARKERS

Each army will need 3 objective markers. One of these markers may be on a 60mm or 40mm base, the other two should be modeled on 40mm bases. The objective markers will contribute to your theme score.

THEME

To be able to assess the theme of your army we are seeking some evidence that you have considered this important aspect of the hobby. You may wish to provide an overview of your theme either in written form, electronic form, a web page, a display board, banner, prop or other innovative method that can be assessed easily by the judges. This is due on the day of the tournament.

SCORING SYSTEM

The following is a breakdown of the points that are awarded.

Battle points
5 games each worth 20 points = 100 points

Sportsmanship
5 games each worth 10 points = 50 points

Army Handicap
A score out of 60 = 60 points

Painting
A score out of 20 = 20 points

Theme
A score out of 10 = 10 points

Total
240 points

The overall champion will be decided on the aggregate of the scores. In the event of a tie, count-back will be done by sportsmanship, handicap, then painting, in that order.

MISSIONS

Missions will be designed around the 5th edition rulebook and will all include the special rules for reserves, deepstrike, etc. The missions will offer more variety than the standard missions, but they will still be loosely based on objectives and/or kill points.

BATTLE POINTS

Win: 15 points
Draw: 10 points
Loss: 5 points
Bonus points: 5 points

All missions will have bonus points to give a maximum score of 20 per game.
The requirements for the bonus points will be detailed on the mission briefing.

HANDICAP SCORING

Terracon has always recognised the difference in power between different races and the units available to them. Various ways of taking this power level into account have been tried in the past. Terracon XIII will be using a handicap system to attempt to recognise the capability of different armies and the skill required to use them.

Armies will be scored out of 5 by a panel of 4 judges familiar with your codex. This score will be based upon the power level of the army and its ability to adapt to any opponent or situation that arises in comparison to other armies entered in Terracon. Theme will not be considered when marking the army handicap.

The panel of Judges have been given the following instructions in order to mark your handicap...

5/5
This army is very weak. It is mostly comprised of units that are bad value for points, and the army has a significant weakness that can be easily exploited. I would expect this army to be lucky to win a game.

4/5
This army is fairly weak. There are some effective units, but a majority of the list is comprised of weaker units. The player will be at a disadvantage, but with good tactics could do ok.

3/5
This is a fairly typical army. It has a good balance of powerful and soft units, and a good balance between strength and weakness. I would expect this army to win half of its games.

2/5
This army is fairly strong. It is comprised of mainly effective units, and its weaknesses are harder to exploit. While the army isn't too overpowered, it is still a solid force and should do well.

1/5
This army is very strong. All of its units are very effective and good value for points, and the army has no real weakness that can be exploited. This army will be hard to beat.

The scores from the 4 judges are totaled then multiplied by 3, resulting in a score between 12-60.

The aim of the system is to create an even playing field where a weak list has an equal chance of winning as a powerful list. By doing this, the “Best General” should reflect the player who displays the best tactical genius over the weekend rather than the player who took the most powerful list.

PAINTING

Painting scores will range from 0-20, depending on the skill and attention to detail that is displayed.

A minimum standard of painting is required to be able to field an army at Terracon. This will be enforced and armies or models that do not make this standard will be removed from the table. Three colours as a minimum is a guide only.

The painting marks will be determined by a check-list as follows:

Army painted to a basic standard using sloppy techniques, evidence of paint splatter etc with no effort invested other than to claim it is actually painted. Bases not attempted.

1-5
Minimal Effort has been invested in the army so that the painting is at least neat and "within the lines". Paint has been applied appropriately to all of the models. Bases have been painted.

5-10
Adequate Effort has been invested in a colour scheme or otherwise to distinguish the army, give it a sense of whole and look cohesive. Faces have been painted. Bases have been flocked or had some other technique applied to them.

10-13
Extra effort has been invested in techniques that lift the look of the army to give it a realism. Washes or dry-brushing, elementary shading techniques or use of colour combinations. Faces may have been done with a wash and a dry brush. Bases show evidence of individual attention and conversions sympathetic to the army are evident.

13-16
Extensive effort has been invested through the use of advanced techniques like blending, careful dry-brushing and fine detail, such as eyes and face detail, simple banners and unit markings, skilful use of decals. Conversions that enhance the look of the army and that require effort and planning to complete might be apparent. The Bases are to a similar high standard.

17-18
The army is an example of extensive conversions, fine painting skill using a variety of techniques that would be considered above average and requiring skill and time to execute.

19-20
The army is excellent and worthy of consideration for players choice. Only players scoring 19 and 20 will be eligible for player votes in deciding "Players Choice".

THEME

The creation of a theme for your army, consistent with the 40K galaxy, is an important aspect of the hobby which makes the models more than just injection molded plastic that have been painted. To encourage this aspect of the hobby, 0-10 theme points will be added to armies that add to the vibe of the event. An army which displays uniformity in theme, has a basis in the 40K universe and is more than a selection of random models will earn 5 points. If your theme has been expressed in written or some other form, then extra marks are available up to a maximum of 10 points.

SPORTSMANSHIP

As a TO my aim is to make Terracon a friendly and enjoyable experience for everyone. For this reason, sportsmanship will be worth 10 points per game, totaling 50 points over the 5 games. The aim of this is to make sure that players put in that bit of extra effort to make the game enjoyable for both players. Sportsmanship will be judged by your opponent after the game.

10/10
This player was a perfect sportsman. They were very polite, they knew all the rules, they were always fair, they didn't waste time, and they really put in the extra effort to make the game enjoyable. I would be more than happy to play against this person again.

8/10
This player was a good opponent. They were very kind, well educated on the rules, and made the game enjoyable, however there were 1 or 2 minor issues but nothing major. I would be happy to play against this person again.

6/10
This player was an ok opponent. They didn't take the fun out of the game completely, but there were several things that were an annoyance. If I had a choice, I probably wouldn't play against this opponent again.

4/10
This player was a terrible opponent. They constantly had to check rules, were absent from the table on occasions, wasted time, and completely took the fun out of the game. I would rather not play at all than have to play against this opponent again.

2/10
This player deliberately intended to take the fun out of the game. They were rude, didn't know the rules, wasted time, and even attempted to cheat on occasions. If I return the pen with blood on it, you know why.

Deliberately cheating or deliberately taking the fun out of the game is something that will not be tolerated, and in extreme cases may result in a player being asked to leave for the remainder of the tournament. I am sure that this will not happen though, it just serves as a warning to anyone with bad intentions.

If you feel that your opponent deserves a 2 or 4 out of 10 for their sportsmanship score, then please ask to have a word with me about it immediately after the game so that I can understand the reasoning for the score. Anyone found to be deliberately giving a perfectly sportsmanlike opponent extremely low scores with the intention of dropping them down the standings (aka “sniping”) may be penalised for extreme cases.
Don't let this put you off giving your opponent a low score though if they were genuinely a bad opponent.

CONVERSIONS AND PROXIES

In line with the aim of Terracon and theme scoring, the use of other models to represent models in the 40K galaxy is encouraged. Nothing is cooler than seeing conversion work that give an army a feel, a vibe, a uniqueness and theme.

Terracon will not be receiving sponsorship from Games Workshop this year, therefore models from other war-gaming companies may be acceptable under certain conditions, however some restrictions on proxies need to be observed. If the model is not produced by Games Workshop, then it will need to be of equal or superior quality to the model it represents. For example, using a bag of toy soldiers bought from a $2 shop as Imperial Guardsmen will be unacceptable, and you will be asked to remove them from the table.
Models must also be easily recognised by your opponent. Using a Flamer as a Meltagun is unacceptable. Basically, if your opponent cant guess what the model represents without asking you, then it is probably unacceptable.
If you are unsure about whether your models will be acceptable or not, please contact me via PM on WAU and I will let you know.

PRIZES

The value and number of prizes will depend on how many people attend Terracon.
Most likely they will be awarded to the top 3 in each category.
The more people, the more prizes.

Categories will be...
Best Overall
Best General (battle points + handicap)
Best Sports
Best Painted (decided by player vote)

Players will be allowed only 1 prize category each. If they qualify for multiple prizes (say 3rd place in Sports and 2nd place Overall) then they will receive the prize of greater value.

ACCOMMODATION

Accommodation at the soccer club is available for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night.
This will be free of charge for anyone who wishes to stay there.
We do however ask that people behave in a responsible manner and help clean up what they can.

I will get some contact information up soon for the local hotels/motels for anyone who wishes to stay in a little more comfort and privacy.

If there is anything else you would like to know (perhaps i missed something or made a mistake somewhere) then feel free to let me know. smile.gif

This post has been edited by lashytrygontrukk: Jan 29 2011, 08:22 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Advocate
post Jan 18 2011, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Hail His Noodley Goodness!

Member No.: 4,426

biggrin.gif
Sweet.

--------------------
+Quote Post
crash
post Jan 19 2011, 12:50 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,118

can we add packing up into the schedule at the end of the event?
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Jan 20 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,958

QUOTE(crash @ Jan 19 2011, 01:20 PM) *

+1 Definitely important there. Many would be surprised at how few people a lot of the pack-up comes down to (all work put into the weekend to be honest).

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

QUOTE(neil @ Jan 20 2012, 02:15 PM) *

about 10 feet tall, hands the size of dustbin lids. Plays Tau, drinks Scotch. Yep, that's the guy.

QUOTE(dominus nox @ Jan 17 2012, 11:51 PM) *

I'm reasonably sure Hagrid is the world's only Scotch based life form.
+Quote Post
EricH
post Jan 20 2011, 05:28 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(crash @ Jan 19 2011, 12:20 PM) *

No prizes will be given out until the tables and scenery are packed up. wink.gif

The main issue last year wasn't the packing up, it was more so the transportation of everything back to Scott's shed.
We only had 4 people help last year (whos help was very much appreciated).
In the end it was just Scott and I unloading tables at night.

Hopefully this year we should have a trailer to speed up the process.

--------------------
+Quote Post
deadmuppet
post Jan 20 2011, 07:42 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 9,334

if you do need any more tables i can get them for free at my work

--------------------
Above the tabletop, commission based painting service based in Adelaide SA.

www.abovethetabletop.com
+Quote Post
EricH
post Jan 20 2011, 09:02 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(deadmuppet @ Jan 20 2011, 07:12 AM) *

if you do need any more tables i can get them for free at my work

We should have plenty of table tops for 100 players. Cheers for the offer though mate. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
difsta
post Feb 12 2011, 10:38 AM
Post #8

The Travelling Mexican

Member No.: 9,216

payment made - joshua diffey. Look forward to the road trip smile.gif

--------------------
Community Comp is alive and kicking. Come visit us over at our Facebook Page or out Community Comp Forum and get involved

My Modelling Diaries
ETC 2016 Australian Team Discussion
+Quote Post
Buddha
post Feb 17 2011, 10:58 AM
Post #9

El Bandito

Member No.: 37

Also, payment sent.
+Quote Post
DarkHorse
post Feb 17 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 162

QUOTE(lashytrygontrukk @ Jan 18 2011, 06:09 PM) *

OBJECTIVE MARKERS

Each army will need 3 objective markers. One of these markers may be on a 60mm or 40mm base, the other two should be modeled on 40mm bases. The objective markers will contribute to your theme score.

I still can't use my 25mm "Terracon Veteran" objective markers at a Terracon. tongue.gif

--------------------
Knights of Purity and Valour - Kill 'em all, let the Emperor sort it out!
+Quote Post
EricH
post Feb 17 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(DarkHorse @ Feb 17 2011, 11:04 AM) *

I still can't use my 25mm "Terracon Veteran" objective markers at a Terracon. tongue.gif

Stick it on a 40mm base.
Problem solved. armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
DarkHorse
post Feb 17 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 162

The theme is "I have been to alot of Terracons and all I got were these cool objective markers" wink.gif

--------------------
Knights of Purity and Valour - Kill 'em all, let the Emperor sort it out!
+Quote Post
MarkC
post Mar 26 2011, 02:22 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 1,849

Terracon XIII added to the RankingsHQ tournament calendar. If you need any updates to the tournament calendar, please send me a PM.

Regards

Mark C

--------------------
Currently working on:
(ADLG) 15mm Carthaginians

Would play if I had time:
(FoW) Australian Rifle Company (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Deutsches Africa Korps (EW/MW): 1500 pts / 200+ pts
(FoW) Canadian Rifle Company (LW): 1750 pts
(Saga) Vikings

Packed away:
(WFB) 2600+ pts Dwarfs
+Quote Post
Immrsam
post Apr 1 2011, 02:52 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,009

Are named characters allowed?

--------------------
Note too self, green stuff is NOT chewing gum!!
+Quote Post
EricH
post Apr 1 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Immrsam @ Apr 1 2011, 02:22 PM) *

Are named characters allowed?

Everything in a current codex is legal, including all characters. smile.gif
(Pretty sure it was only 3rd ed that special characters needed permission)

Anything in Imperial Armour, homebrew, etc is not legal for obvious reasons.

Also, i better note that the new Grey Knight codex will be used for Terracon, not the old Daemonhunters codex.
Just stating the obvious really, but figured i better mention it incase somebody submits a list with the old codex.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Demon
post Apr 19 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #16

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Member No.: 218

Any grudge matches? smile.gif

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
zero
post Apr 24 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,038

I grudge Mat.

--------------------
Hello Me, It's Me Again!
+Quote Post
Demon
post Apr 28 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #18

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Member No.: 218

QUOTE(zero @ Apr 24 2011, 11:29 AM) *

I grudge Mat.

stop submarining

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
TsarHagrid
post Apr 28 2011, 05:55 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,958

QUOTE(Demon @ Apr 28 2011, 12:48 PM) *

stop submarining

Captain Appleby volunteering for the SS Failboat again?

--------------------
40K:
Tau Empire

Blood Bowl:
Khemri
Lizardmen

QUOTE(neil @ Jan 20 2012, 02:15 PM) *

about 10 feet tall, hands the size of dustbin lids. Plays Tau, drinks Scotch. Yep, that's the guy.

QUOTE(dominus nox @ Jan 17 2012, 11:51 PM) *

I'm reasonably sure Hagrid is the world's only Scotch based life form.
+Quote Post
Skullcracker
post May 16 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,563

Haha wrong topic armata_PDT_05.gif

This post has been edited by Skullcracker: May 16 2011, 08:07 PM

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ork Freebooter Pirates
Khorne Foot list
Deadzone Getting it done

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 10:51 AM