35 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Admonitions of a Suss Sufferer: Mark 2, all about Mark 3
Angry_Norway
post May 28 2017, 10:10 PM
Post #401

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,012

Test game for OTC practice, seeing how bad Strak2 goes into the Khador mirror, assuming Jack Spam gets dropped.

Karchev1 (WinterGuard Kommand) - 6x Marauder, 2x Juggernaught, WGI (Min) + 3x Rocketeer, 2x WG Mortar, Kovnik Joe

vs

Strakhov2 and bros (Legion of Steel) - Conquest, Black Dragon IFP + UA, IFP + UA, Uhlans (Min), Markov, IFP Kovnik, Great Bears,

Scenario is Take and Hold, so Control Point rush isn't a huge concern. I win the roll, select first to get up the board. I have a large hill on the left, a blob of water in the centre and a wall on the right, not super near my flag.

On the Strakhovy side there's a wall on the far left that does nothing notable, a cloud/forest combo in the centre and a hill on the right near my flag.

The most relevant terrain is the water, which I lack pathfinder options for and the forest which will block LoS to reasonable effect if needed, though it I think it pans out as more about denying karchev that enabling the IFP list.

Going in was a test of if Strak can pull the resources to do enough to stop the jack wall with Precision strike and strategic Last Standing.

Deployments are not super exciting, I split the Juggers either side, have a line of Marauders, Karchev in line for my friendly flag with the various Winter Guard behind him.

Opposition wise the Black Dragons are on the left, Conquest central, normal IFP on the right and an Uhlan unit on the extreme right.

IPB Image

Round 1: Both sides proc their advance moves, I do three marauders spread across the line, while the opposing Pike units both come forward.

I have proxies for daaaays.

Three Marauders and one Jugger run up toward the Strakhov flag, one Marauder gets stuck behind the water, one of the Advance moved fellas gets into the wet and slimey stuff.

Karchev puts Road to War initially, Battle Charged isn't going to be super relevant this early stage and isn't super hard to put up.

Winterguard move up and hang around in a block behind Karchev.

The Black Dragons get Inviolable Resolve, move up and form Shield Wall triangles. They are sure to stay back out of Road to War charge range. The Conquest runs up to be behind the forest, the right oatmeal based diet IFP get Quicken and copy the Black Dragon plan. Uhlans form their own triangle on the extreme right. Strakhov and groupies end up behind the cloud.

IPB Image

Karchev 1: My basic plan is to feed in a few Marauders to pull elements out and set up the friendly scoring. I drop Road to War for some Possuming.

On the left, one Marauder runs up to just barely contest the left flag, Marauders and Juggers then go behind him in a spread out pattern, including the Marauder who was behind the water.

On the right, Karchev doesn't really move to keep his control area constant with my left flank placements. He's outside of the Conquest threat range, some of the Quickened Pikemen can get into him so to counter that I put a marauder/Juggernaught in front of him. I've got plenty of Sac Pawns relative to opposing guns, so I drain his focus to cast two Eruptions to force hard decision for the vanilla ice cream IFP. The first scatters forward like a boss and implodes a triangle, that was unexpected but glorious. The other scatters to the left, so the IFP have a corridor to get through but not an ideal one.

Lastly, the IFP futz around, the three Rocketeers move out to my right edge and explode an Uhlan. The Mortars shoot at the Conquest, one does nought, the other does about 5 or so damage. There's no repair on the opposing side either, so begin the plinking!

IPB Image

Strakhov 1: The Alpha strike comes in. The Black Dragons and normal IFP both pop their mini feats and charge in, they do scattered damage, badly hurting a Mauler on the left and Jugger on the right (Jugger also gets crit knocked down). The left injured Mauler then gets finished off by the Great Bears.

Strakhov moves up, pops feat, does his AP shooting into a Mauler before Repositioning back. The Conquest toes into the forest for Line of Sight, shoots one of the left side Maulers but rolls poorly, fails on the crit fishing boost to hit.

Back on the right the Uhlans go into the knock downed Jugger and put more damage on him, he just has his left arm, movement and some armour boxes at this point. They then Repo back a bit.

At some point a WGI Rocketeer dies this turn, though I don't recall what did it.

IPB Image

Karchev 2: The IFP aren't super worth trying to kill this turn with the various buffs up and the Conquest has stayed far enough back to not be in Road To War murder range. I plan to pick off non-IFP units, jam the left unit and kill the IFP Kovnik on the left to let the Sunder knockdown spray nullify a good chunk of the vanilla IFP unit.

I load up one of the left Marauders, who goes into the Great Bears. tough and 7's to hit cause me some grief, so I only kill one and end up charging another Marauder in to kill another one, though I ensure that he engages the right most IFP to limit the odds of Black Dragons trying to come over to the right side where I feel I have less Jack models to pull through with.

The Jugger on this side hangs back to be the next wave, the other Marauder on this side runs most of the way through the water, pinching off the Conquests ability to get a landing spot near Karchev with the flag and to threaten the Colossal with Weaponmaster feated death if he doesn't back up.

On the right, the Juggernaught gets up and lumbers forward, blocking IFP line of sight so a Marauder can charge and kill the remaining pair of Uhlans.

The Rocketeers get boosts to hit, then alongside the Mortars they try to kill the IFP Kovnik. It doesn't work out, they would have been vastly better spent just plinking the Conquest some more.

Karchev tries to spray, achieves nought. He throws an Eruption toward the Black Dragons, hoping again to deter the unit from coming across. It scatters forward, ends up in the middle of the IFP lines, kills nought but is placed annoying for Strakky.

Last I have a Marauder on the right with an extra focus on it going into the Vanilla IFP, gets into Melee with three of them and chews them up and spits them out like they were sauerkraut.

IPB Image

Strak 2: Around the Strakhov flag the Black Dragons wrap around the two Marauders engaging them alongside the single remaining Great Bear. They attack the more damaged of the two, leave it with just its left arm and movement remaining as well as being knocked down. The other Mauler is untouched.

Strakhov and boys move back a bit, wing the Marauder in front of Karchev, mess it up quite a bit then reposition into the backfield, again out of Road to War murder range. Markov also runs in the backfield to the back right of the field.

On the right, the regular IFP do those weird side charge that happen in warmachine mosh pit melees. They do some damage and knock down the Jugger and a Marauder. Maxed out Conquest then charges in, kills the Juggernaught and two Marauders on the right, essentially clearing that flank off all jacks that started over their.

IPB Image

Karchev 3: I'm down to three and a half jacks at this point, but feel no attrition pressure. The conquest is eminently killable, after that based on the previous rounds I don't have to fear the damage output of the opposing list all that much.

On the left, the damaged Marauder, his healthy bro and the remaining Juggernaught make attacks into Black Dragons, they kill the last Great Bear and otherwise stomp around. I'll never score meaningfully on that side, neither will Strakhov.

On the right, the Mortars and WGI CRA's kill off the IFP Kovnik, remaining Vanillarites and Markov.

Karchev then feats and charges the Conquest, he burns his Fury stack to leave it on half a doxen boxes, a fully loaded Marauder then goes in and one shots it while blocking the Strakhov charge on Karchev.

I go to 1 CP, clock is also very much on my side at this point as I've made many less attacks over the course of the game, though this turn was long and narrowed the gap considerably.

IPB Image

Strak 3: Strakhov and bros shoot the Marauder that killed the Conquest, as Karchev has three Sac Pawn targets in his vicinity. The IFP Standard Bearer runs in to contest.

The Black Dragons on the left take out the healthier of the two marauders Cortexes.

IPB Image

Karchev 4: I'm ahead on all relevant victory vectors, so I just do some screwing around. karchev puts up Road to War, hangs on the flag. WGI kill the contesting IFP standard bearer, allowing the Conquest Marauder to advance and charge Strakhov. I roll absolutely unreasonably and kill him through Focus camp (Trip 6 for the charge damage, trip 6 to hit the other initial attack).

It......ain't Strakhov's game. Sac Pawn lets Karchev drop his focus pool doing whatever he wants with his ease, Eruption was amazing being cast without consequence. I never felt the need for Countercharge, reach was firmly present on the opposing side whilst distances simply weren't an issue once I had contesting range on the Strakhov flag.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 28 2017, 10:17 PM
Post #402

OTC practice, testing of Kapitan's Butcher into my pairing. I didn't especially feel like Drudging and the amount of Heavies was going to be fairly involved, each needing multiple Adrenal Drudge charges whilst Ruin mucks up the Telekinesis plan so dwarfdom it is.

Gorten1 - 2x Drillers, 2x Blasters, 2x Gunners, Wrongye/Snapjaw, Rorsh/Brine, Ragman, Tinker, 2x Eliminators, Acosta

vs

Butcher (Winter Guard Kommand) - Ruin, 2x Juggernaught, 2x Mad Dog, 2x Mortar, Field Gun, WGI + UA, WGRC + 3x Rocketeers

I lose the roll, Khador take first. Talked it out after the game, I consider this the primary mistake in the matchup, as the Butcher list doesn't get up the board offensively enough to force me to feat on the defence, so I can save it to try to win out the scoring game. I'm not super down for attrition in the matchup, as Butcher is one of the rare dudes the Dwarf doesn't want to go toe to toe with. Lola says no.

Scenario is Outlast, in that convenient middle ground that is neither The Pit nor Incursion.

Terrain wise, the Khadoran left zone has a blob of water, a small hill in their Advance Deploy line, then between the zones a blob of Rubble, lastly an obstruction on the top edge of the right zone.

On my side of the board, the left zone has a large forest on the bottom right "corner". Across from the forest on the same point of the right zone is a pair of walls in a T formation, some of the wall poking into the zone. The extreme right edge of said zone has a Trebor style trench (As in, it's a combination of Trench and Water).

Deployment wise, the Mortars go either flank with the Field Gun in the centre. The jacks evenly spread out, Ruin in the centre then a Juggernaut either side, Mad Dogs on the left and right edge of the formation. The Rifle Corp go on the left, Infantry on the right.

I essentially select the relevant side as it denies the best anti Gorten feat option, being the T shape wall formation. I swap around my initial deployment plan, as the Rifle Corp will blow up the Rhulic jacks over a couple rounds. Ergo Wrongeye/Snapjaw go on the far left where Submerge will be difficult to deal with, everything else goes on the right. Various bits go centrally (Ragman, kayazy, Gunners, Aiyanna, Tinker), then Gorten and the rest of the battlegroup are placed to only slightly telegraph my push for that zone, Pigs and Acosta go on the far right. The Acosta/Tinker placements aren't especially good, the Gobber should be a bit further right. Acosta is only on the edge in order to not die to an early WGRC CRA.

IPB Image

Khador 1: All the jacks Advance Move. The left most Mad Dog, the one liable to go into Snapjaw, receives Fury. Butcher gets Iron Flesh. Ruin charges up to get into the Rubble, leaning toward the right zone. Everything otherwise just runs forward, the Field Gun goes up on the hill in the Khadoran backfield.

IPB Image

Merc 1: Set up to push for the right zone. Wrongeye moves up and Submerges, I opt to have Snapjaw charges a far right Winter Guard chump, ending up Submerged and part of the Centre group.

Stuff runs up, Red Eliminators stay Central with one of each Rhulic jack, Ragman and Aiyanna behind them.

Gorten, other half of his jacks, Green Eliminators and Pigs move up to the edge of the right zone. Acosta runs into the water logged Trench.

IPB Image

Khador 2: The Fury'ed Mad Dog runs up into the left zone, using the forest to stay out of Snapjaw's charge range. One Juggernaut follows up behind.The Rifle Corp then move up behind them, the Rocketeers along with the right Mortar dings both Drillers for some surface damage.

Butcher toes the left zone.

Ruin moves outside of the Rubble, stays out of Gorten walk and feat range.

The WGI run up, the officer stays in the Rubble, five Grunts go into the right zone as does the other Mad Dog while the Juggernaut on this side toes the zone in the vicinity of the obstruction. The Mad Dog is careful stay just shy of Driller charge range.

IPB Image

Merc 2: Apparently my face went all Duran Duran in the middle of the Khadoran turn based on a mistake being made. I find that a fascinating observation, because I wasn't particularly thinking such at the time, indeed it was at the point prior to more models coming in to contest the right and I thought my initial impulse wasn't doable. Ends up looking manageable though, the ultimate plan being that if I can clear the right zone this turn without feating I've conceivably won flat out, providing I don't make any silly mistakes.

Simple plan, shoot down the Mad Dog, kill the five WGI Grunts and use Brine to throw or Slam the Juggernaut out of the zone. Leave Gorten last and feat to score instead if necessary, though I'd really prefer not to I have found not having a backup plan for these single roll make or break things is awful.

Aiyanna moves up, misses the Harm on the Mad Dog. Well, damn. Holt, Gunners, Blasters all do shots, popping off a couple WGI and leaving the Dog on 6 boxes.

Gorten then moves behind the wall, uses a Molten Metal to kill the Dog and pings the Jugger.

One Eliminator unit goes in, kills the remaining WGI in the zone.

Pigs go, Rorsh pops smoke to get Brine up. Big Pig then advances to and throws the Juggernaut toward the right Mortar, outside of Butchers control area.

Left side wise, Snapjaw turns to face the zone and otherwise doesn't move as Wrongeye stays out of Mad Dog charge range. The leader of the Red Eliminators runs into the forest and contests the left zone as the Grunt runs into the backfield to contest in the future.

Mercs go to 2 CP and it's already looking good.

I commit a few errors here. I got greedy with Gorten and didn't time his activation as an appropriate failsafe. Brine could have just Slammed without the Strength roll risk for the Throw, though putting the Jugger outside of the Khador Control Area and knocked down was inherently better.

I contemplated throwing down a wall, decided that my primary lose condition was assassination and camped two instead.

IPB Image

Khador 3: Butcher barely moves, upkeeps the relevant spells and pops his feat.

The remaining Mad Dog in the left zone tramples into the forest over my contesting Eliminator, boosts to hit and easily kills her. The Juggernaut on this side run a up to my edge of that zone, presenting an imminent threat to the Crocs.

The Rifle Corp move up as a blob to be above the forest, combined with the Mortar and Field Gun they shoot a Driller off the board and take out a Gunners movement.

The remaining WGI kill off one of the Green Eliminators, feeding a Soul to Ruin.

The Jugger dusts himself off and walks back, just managing to toe the right zone.

Ruin charges in, toes the right zone as well and obliterates a Blaster.

Scores level at 2 apiece.

IPB Image

Merc 3: By the numbers at this point, feat to clear and delay contesting, win out on control points.

The Green Eliminator walks away from the Jugger, kills the two WGI in the right zone. Aiyanna then harms that Jack, Holt kills two of the Rocketeers. The Movement lacking Gunner shuffles, kills the third Rocketeer. Those guys needed to die anyway, their deaths also conveniently allow Ruin to be feat pushed as desired.

Rorsh with aimed shots, the other Gunner and Acosta all shoot/charge the Jugger and mess it up pretty badly.

Gorten then moves up and pushes Khadoran stuff across to the left, the Jacks end up in a forest/Rubble and will be unable to contest, I also get a bunch of the Winter Guard. Gorten's death being the primary win method for Khador is now hyper obvious so he camps four and keeps Solid Ground ticking over.

On the left I need something to contest and Snapjaw is no longer in the position to be Coy about his involvement, so he gets Ragman to Death Field then charges into the left side Jugger, knocking out the Cortex and right arm. Wrongeye Star Crosses and Submerges. The remaining Red Eliminator runs into the left backfield, her services not yet being required.

Mercs get the leg up 4 to 2.

IPB Image

Khador 4: Khador's leaves have turned Brown, so everything shuffles at best and shoots at Gorten. Rifle Corp CRA, Mortars and the Field Gun take pot shots, Butcher double boosts an Obliteration, Joe fires his Handcannon. When the dust blows over Gorten has spent two focus and taken three damage.

As a last ditch screw you the crippled Jugger and Mad Dog try to kill Snapjaw, it doesn't work out.

Gorten still good, does great against those unable to stop him bullying them. More world shattering news at 9. Few niggling things I'd change, otherwise content. I'd venture that Butcher probably didn't need to feat when he did and should have kept it for the assassination run, though in that circumstance I hopefully have the awareness to run Jacks in front of him to block line of sight. The Driller should have done that anyway, so not super impressed with that decision to have him float around pointlessly.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 28 2017, 10:32 PM
Post #403

Allrighty, been.....17 days since my last game (Aside from a lols Drudges run and die to a returning players guns match) and OTC is rearing it's ugly, awkwardly-timed-in-May head.

Called up one of the local residents, this one likely possessing the ability to look smick in a stovepipe hat and old timey suit. Arranged to try out Gorten vs the OTC Axis list, which I think is good for me but hey, confirmation is a good thing. Threw down Two Fronts, as it's the worst scenario I want to play the short stuff on (Incursions demise leaves me with no regrets, I don't want to play Gorten on that scenario ever).

Ergo, It's Gorten with a battle group of doubles of the good Rhulic Jacks (Drillers/Blasters/Gunners), Ninja Pig, Handbag patrol, Eliminators, Acosta, various support.

The Axis list, in a shocking turn of events for this time period of the game, is in Destruction Initiative! Such wonder. Many wows. The Doge meme is overrated.
Anyway, it's double TEP, triple Donginators, the Shield Guard heavy that cares about nature (Cause he's a Conservator. Get it? GET IT?!), the repair humans, three lots of Dig In/explode Servitors, two lots of flare bots.
This list diverges from local practice by the complete lack of guns on the battlegroup, where Cipher's making Rough terrain and Diffusers have work arounds for Axis' RAT.

Threw out some flags, ended up with a pair of hills, forests, a trench and a wall.
I win the dice roll and make my first piece of failed conjecture, opting for first to alleviate the opposing increased deployment zone. Garbage decision, as one side of the board has a wall and forest near the flag that don't obstruct it, whereas I end up with a forest inconveniently positioned from where Gorten would like to be at the top of 2. Good to know.

Deployment wise, My battlegroup goes centre, Lesser Warlocks go on the left. CoC has the TEPs go to the far left and the Inverters stacked on the right, the various AD Servitors actually deploy behind this frontline, a good response to Shield Guard and my natural desire to plink targets of opportunity throughout the game.

IPB Image
Round 1: Everything runs forward, no need to waste time submerging and popping smoke at this juncture. I put Strength of Granite on a Driller and Solid Ground on Gorten. The Eliminators go out front of the battlegroup with Acosta, they are across from the Inverters so no fear of random death. Habit makes me keep them in Solid Ground anyway. One Gunner runs to the right side of my forest, intending to free up spacing for my attacks next turn.

Convergence broadly just runs forward, the repair dudes each take up a spot behind the Inverters. Conservator goes up to the Convergence flag, everything is careful to stay out of Gorten's walk and feat range

IPB Image
Merc 2: Let the dance begin! My spacing intent is to try to tempt out the Axis feat for not a great deal of gain, which then lets me wait a round to counterfeat and crush it.
Rorsh goes way left on the board, Rorsh hangs back a little. Rorsh is in range of one of the TEPs, IF Axis feats. The Crocs just backpedal, I want them for late game.

Aiyanna sadly didn't move far enough up to get a harm out, so that's something to bear in mind. The Gunners end up plinking down some Shield Guards on the far right Inverter, the Blasters split up, one going a bit to the left, the other dropping back behind the forest for late game. The Eliminators Press Forward, killing a couple repair guys and taking some damage from suiciding Land Mine Servitors. Acosta charges the right most Inverter, has a disappointing charge and so ends up doing 12 points overall. In hindsight this was not a good use of him, he should have run far to the right to be around for the late game or as a potential hitting piece when I feat.
Gorten runs to start getting his way through the forest.

IPB Image
CoC 2: Axis and the Conservator go to the CoC flag, ignoring my feat bait.
An Attunement Servitor flares Brine, who then gets wailed on by a TEP, leaving him on four odd boxes with no Spirit. A couple Reflex Servitors go up on either side of the BE. The other TEP just moves up to the flag as well.
On the right, the Inverters are joined by the Corollary, they have enough boosted attacks to pop the Eliminators and Acosta. I kept one Kayazy back contesting my flag, so she'll have to avenge her comrades.

Convergence go to 1.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Time to wait out feats and counterscore. Not scoring the bottom of 2 is the principal reason for going first being an error.

Rorsch heals Brine and shoots down a Reflex Servitor, the left most Blaster moves up to my sides hill and kills the other that threatened knocking a Big pig aspect out on the Countercharge. A random Attunement fella dies as well.
Brine charges for free, kills it exactly (Thank god for no CID changes for the next tourney....)
I wanted there to be Death Field on it for surety, but alas Ragman couldn't get the distance.

I sadly have to run up a Driller to stop the opposing score, lacking another relevant disposable model. The Conservator charges and takes out a column.
Gorten puts down a wall in front of the Merc flag and charges to get to my flag.
The remaining Eliminator charges a backfield Attunement Servitor, then sidesteps into the back arc of the last mechanic and misses the swing.
The Gunners advance up to suicide positions that deny a landing spot near Gorten for the potential murder pieces, they shoot the right most Inverter after Aiyanna harms it. I roll poorly , doing maybe a third of its health and taking out no systems.
The other Driller moves up to stop the Conservator getting to awkwardly close to the Dorf, the Tinker stays backfield. Wrongeye pops Star Crossed and charges across, trying to get his control area up there. Snappy hangs back and Submerges.

Scores level at 1 apiece.

IPB Image
CoC 3: Axis feats, getting the front edge of my stuff (Brine, the Eliminator, the Drillers and a Gunner) and all the CoC models. He then backpedals hard to deny any assassination, given Gorten will have charge targets shortly.
A Reflex Servitor charges Brine after he gets flared, spikes the roll and kills him. Sadness.
The TEP manages to get over the wall with the speed boost and sprays at Wrongeye, stripping his Transfer but failing to kill him.
All three Inverters charge in, killing the sacrificial Driller, the left Gunner and taking out the Cortex on the right one/mangling the second Driller. The Conservator charges Wrongeye and manages to bin him (Swallow Sadness!).
A couple Servitors hide out in the CoC forest, but I see them Azalea. I see them.

Score remains 1 apiece.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Time to feat and push the scenario. I allocate the Driller extra for him to swing on the Conservator.

Do some mini-bit operations first, the Tinker repairs the Driller, Rorsh moves up on the left and shoots down a reserve Flare bot hiding in the backfield. Ragman runs to a point where he can run and contest the CoC flag if that comes up.

I then screw up by not doing the Driller attacks, as I activate Gorten and feat push back the two Servitors in the forest, the Inverters and the Conservator. Gorten then moves to the far side of the flag to be just shy of the TEP threat range, allowing him to blow his stack putting down a wall that stops the Conservator being able to run and contest. Gorten then does a double shot on the right most Inverter, leaving it on 2 boxes.

Aiyanna harms the Corollary, which is the only model that can contest me next round (Gorten was out of range on it). Holt, the remaining Gun Bunny and the Kayazy all attack, the damage inflicted is sadly underwhelming and my plan seems to be sunk.

The left blaster walks back into control, bounces off the Conservator. The right blaster tries to finish off the two box Inverter but doesn't get it done. Dangit.

The Driller moves up behind the wall to hopefully be usefull next turn, though I expect it get TEPped.

Mercs get up 2 v 1 CP.

IPB Image
CoC 4: The Corollary charges the Gunner, which would put it in contesting range and let is pass focus around.The Eliminator freestrike kills its movement and it gets barely anywhere. Success!

The Conservator runs to engage the Tinker, the Inverters all shuffle around painfully.

The TEP trundles across towards my flag, Kills Aiyanna/Holt and slightly dings the Driller

Mercs go up to 3 v 1.

IPB Image
Merc 5: Rorsh runs into the backfield, Ragman futzes around waiting to be a contesting model.

The Eliminator kills the Corrolarry with a Combo strike. The right blaster moves up and again fails to kill the 2 box Inverter, so I try and fail with the Gunner. I'm going to kill enough to keep Gorten away from a Heavy while scoring, so he backs up, shoots down the super damaged Inverter at least and throws a Molten Metal at one Inverter. The Driller gets repaired but can't otherwise go anywhere without dying to a countercharge, so it sits there to at least force an attack roll on it.

Convergence have thirty seconds to try to TEP kill Gorten which fails.

We play it out after that anyway, I get to four off Ragman running to the Convergence flag when only Axis is on it as I kill all the Inverters, the TEP ends up contesting my flag while the Conservator protects the CoC one. We go to round 8 in which I just can't get the 5th CP, eventually Axis Dominates it out as I flub damage rolls on the TEP.

Content that the match is good for me, considerably better in other non-Incursion scenarios. Going to be awful when I screw this matchup at the OTC.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 28 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #404

Random weekend pickup game courtesy of Mysterio (wherein in turns out there practical real name is not what the Government thinks it is).

It's some SR2017, using the last public version of the CID rules (so 12 inch kill box and so forth).

I was locked into Thexus, worried my brief myopia over the game the fortnight before had limited the specific skill set of pushing dollars as fast as possible and hammering the clock.

Thexus, pair of Wreckers/Agitators, loads of Drudges,Alexia and two free units of Overlords.

It's a very different Rahn to the ones that I usually get schooled by, built on an attrition basis.
Rahn - Hyperion, Elara1 + Disco, pair of the Whipsnap Mage solo chumps, three Arcanists, Spears + Eiryss3, Sylyss, Noisy Cricket.

It's Outflank, so two Warrior model circle zone and a pair of central flags for warnouns.

Terrain was just thrown out rather than placed via the method, making it not tournament legal and yet more likely to be worth practicing with. Unfortunate reality of TO's having to set up a large number of tables in limited time (There's an argument to be made that automatically setting up tables for the next round should become a warmachine social norm).

Do you wear a tie like Richard Gere?

There's a pair of walls in the centre of the table, each side has a forest off to the side, then differs by by one having an inconvenient water blob while the other has a pair of hills.
The Walls are effectively neutral to the sides, while the hills are far enough back that it isn't going to help the swarm all that much. Ergo when i win the roll I get first, so I get the side with the water in the way.

IPB Image
Merc 1: My Greylord proxies are finally fare-welled!
Ret has Electromancers (Spell check suggestion: "Elect romancers". In the current international climate this is sadly highly relevant advice) serving as the Spears and some random infantry as an Arcanist and another as Sylyss.

Risen go up front to absorb attacks that would otherwise go on Drudges, I forgo my recent practice of always spawning a thrall turn 1 as it always screw with Alexia being positioned properly to grab corpses. Most of the Drudges run up after them, funneled somewhat by the water and forest. One unit of Benders goes to the left of said overblown garden feature.

Overlords go extreme flank, because it usually works out.

Thexus casts Deflection and just walks up, as do the fueled up Wreckers.

IPB Image
Ret 1: Hyperion moves up into the left zone, not having targets of opportunity (Inadvertent saving graces of speed 5!). The spears go up behind the Ret side's flag, followed by Discoball and Elara.
The Arcantrik goes up toward the right zone, cresting the hill and doing a pinging shot of rough terrain in front of all ma doodz.
Rahn hangs behind the Hyperion, throws out a random Lightning scatter that kills a Risen and knocks down a couple other undead from tough rolls.

Positive Charge goes on Hyperion.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The small centralised footprint of the opposing list that can still contest the zones forces me to drop the ambushers, I elect the right side with the intent of distracting shots from the Cricket (well, hypothetically anyway, given the Arcantrik model resembles an invisible dweeb rather than a chirping insect this game).

Otherwise primary plans is to hide Thexus and begin plan Zulu.

Alexia goes into the trench and spawns a Thrall Warrior, who charges and misses Disco.
Every other model just runs and spreads out, the unit leaders being sure to not be in potential Hyperion Black Hole crit range (Shuddering memory of Dilsharn blipping Alexia out of existence using Greygore last edition....).

One Wrecker runs far to the right into the forest to be a Sac Pawn target, Thexus walks across, casts Decel and TK's himself out of the killbox. The other Wrecker stays backfield but central, in case he's needed to throw damage/arc spells on the Hyperion.

Right Overlords just toe that sides zone, as they are the pieces most likely to be long term scoring/contesting. The left Overlords run up behind the Ret sides forest with intent to murder some Arcanists.

IPB Image
Ret 2: Ah, blurry pic, we meet again. Been good man? Got that promotion yet?
Rahn sticks around in a safe spot behind Hyperion, pops feat and kills some Drudges with some attack spells, then TKing the Cricket.
Elara clears out the Thrall Warrior then falls back, the Spears and Eiryss kill the front few Drudges.
Hyperion and Disco both mulch a bunch of Drudges but spend their focus on attack rolls on Alexia, she ends up taking a damage point and having a single Risen left.
The Cricket contests the right zone courtesy of the distance granted by the TK and throw out rough terrain at the Drudge blobs, the blast damage being insufficient against the Drudges sweet oil aaaaaaaabsssssssss.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Plan is to keep Thexus is super hidey land, score the right zone and kill some support models.

The right Overlords move around and try to spray out two of the Spear members, they need 8's and fail to get a hit. Expected, but would have made other moves simpler.
The Right most Wrecker runs forward, Thexus then arcs a TK to move him up then does another to move the Cricket out of the right zone and spinning it around, nullifying it's Positive Charge nonsense.
Deflection goes up again.

The ambush Drudges charge forward, four go into the Cricket and put it on five boxes.
The right side Drudge units then go, three Slavers get Adrenalled. One goes into the Cricket and finishes it off, the other two get CMA's into the Spear guys. Their DEF proves to be strong enough again, as I only pop one and fail to clear the zone. Oh well.

Left Drudges go, Adrenals happen again, once more they fail to kill the Spear guy though they do pop Eiryss.
The far left Overlords get up and spray down two of the Arcanists and put Sylyss on a couple boxes.

Risen jam up, no Thrall due to Disco's Brain Damage preventing the spell cast.

IPB Image
Ret 3: Elara and the Shiplashy guys kills some Risen. Hyperion and Disco again kill some chump infantry incidentally while boosting attacks on Alexia. She takes a big enough hit that I take all the damage on her and she toughs. One of the Spears leaves melee, survives the pitiful freestrikes with my rubbish non-CMA MAT and stabs her. Spikes really low, just clears out the backfield Risen.
Rahn just kills some of the left Drudges.
One Whiplash dude tries to clear out a Risen, botches it, ends up doing three points of damage to Discordias shield. Ill advised.

That last ditch attempt to kill Alexia leaves no one to contest the right zone, so I gain a CP.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Clocks are low, but to my advantage. This will be the last turn I make serious attacks on attrition, after this it'll just be zone clearing actions and running to engage.

Three of the ambush Drudges charge Elara, CMA and land it. I roll poor on damage, managing one box through the focus spend.

Right Drudges go, the Benders throw out Adrenals. The Slaver unit kills the Spear that got to Alexia and does a good hit on Discordia, stripping his Shield and doing some damage on the grid.
The left Bender/Slaver team also Adrenal, they however once again fail to kill the Spear member on their side. The various Overlords just stick in zone holding rolls to ensure the round timer win if it comes up.

The Wreckers advance timidly, waiting to clear the right zone if needed.

I go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Ret 4: The last Spear member stabs down a Risen. Hyperion finally rolls less than maximum shots, though manages a crit off his main gun that absorbs the last Spear unit guy and half a dozen Drudges. He then clears off Disco.
Elara kills some of the ambushers.
Discordia moves forward to get Alexia back into range after she backpedaled an inch, takes a free strike from the Drudge that charged it which takes out the Movement and ends its activation. Weird for that rue to come up two games in a row.

Ret concedes, which is utterly fair. I have 12 minutes left on the clock and Ret have no way of contesting the right zone, I can easily fluff my way to a "Mercy" win. Wouldn't feel very merciful though, which is where I feel SR2017 fails badly in comparison to previous scenario packets.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 28 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #405

Last practice game before OTC, AHdude was thankfully willing to heed the clarion call. I thought that hypothetically the Thexus list could handle Fyanna, but wasn't enthused about the prospect of having no practice (Need more local Legion....well, everything really).

It's Thexus with a pair of Wreckers, two Agitators, maximum possible Slavers, 2 units of Benders, double free Overlords and Alexia.

Grabbing one of the OTC lists at random (None of them are that different. Legion things.), it's Fyann2 in Oracles with 3 Neraphs, 2 Angelius, a Seraph, a Raek, 2 Forsaken, 2 Sorceress, double Shepherd, Spell Martyr.

I hypothesized that Incursion was the more favourable scenario (still SR2016 land) for the featherless birdies, so threw that down with a rough approximation of a Sydney table layout off a random stream.
One side gets water, a central trench and outflanking rubble, there's a hill n the centre line then the other side has a forest and a large building. Not technically legal, but the realities of terrain at tourneys works out that way (Concealment only available on one side).\

I won the roll and had an immediate dilemma. I knew the opposing list was fast and I wanted to get up the board, however I also really wanted to plonk Thexus behind that building and use other pieces to make him hard to get to and in a position where he can reasonably effect the board. I end up opting for first. I anticipate the matchup to essentially go with the Legion beasts doing lots of overtakes and threatening Thexus, who will be hanging waaaay back, while I use Rampager to pops the Forsaken and induce frenzies. Most likely win condition I hope to be the clock if I keep Thexus safe.

IPB Image
Round 1: Obviously I get the table side with the less relevant terrain, a sensible decision in opposition alas (though banking on opposing incompetence seems like a bad plan anyway...).

Number of Legion proxies, primarily a choir member serving as the spell martyr, a Vassal of Menoth as a Forsaken, a Menoth light as the Raek and Scytheans seeing table time as Neraphs.

I advance everything forward, Thexus moves a short distance forward (More to have room to backup than anything else) casting Deflection after throwing focus at the Wreckers. A few Risen also go up between the Slaver mobs as acceptable early casualties if that comes up somehow. Overlords super outflanking as per the usual.

Legion run forward, staying fairly central to avoid the Ambushers getting free attacks. Raek is far left, then it's just a line of the winged beasts. No Fury up as it isn't necessary this matchup, Admonition is on the left most Angelius, Iron Flesh on the right.

IPB Image
Merc 2: The Legion beasts have come far enough forward that I can get Adrenalled Drudges in. There is an Admonitioned Angelius as well, which is annoying. I decide there is value to Deflection, which leaves me five focus to play around. I opt to deal with Admonition by Rampaging the Angelius into the backfield and killing one of the Forsaken.
The ambush Drudges move onto the board, the opposing list is mobile enough that waiting for models to come in late game is unlikely to be a good plan.

To create room for the Wrecker to arc, Alexia shuffle around to get some Risen out of the way in the vicinity of the trench, she spawns a Thrall Warrior on the right side. The Wrecker then runs up to be in Rampager range of the Admonitioned Angelius.

Thexus activates, boosts Rampager on the admonitions Angelius, who flies into the Legion back ranks and kills a Forsaken. I then cast Decel.

I then do set up and attacks with the left Slaver unit, starting with the leader of the left Overlord unit running forward suicidally, leaving his unit out of command for the +1 to hit bonus Next the left Bender unit pops out three Adrenal Surges, getting Slaver Drudges into charge range. All three go into the Seraph and kill it.

I had a similar plan on the right, and completely forget to do it, running with the Green Slavers into random spots concerned at how long that left side activation felt. 100% dumb. I end up charging the Thrall Warrior in, he gets lucky and hits a Neraph, spiking to do an excellent damage roll.

The ambush drudges run toward the left flag, intent being to force relevant Legion models to contest.

IPB Image
Legion 2: Fyanna moves up toward the centre flag and pops feat.
The Raek goes into the Ambush unit, killing the leader and a couple Drudges. A Shepherd is int eh vicinity for forcing. The Admonitioned Angelius goes up on the hill near those dudes. Support staff and Hellion riders hang near the centre flag, a couple sprays go off that kill some of my mooks.

The Neraphs and Iron Fleshed Angelius go into the Pink/Green Slaver Drudges, with Overtakes and bought attacks they kill about 8 Drudges, the Suicide Overlord, a Risen and the arcing Wrecker. Ouchies. A couple Pink Drudges stop the centre flag score.

IPB Image
Merc 3: Five Risen spawn. I immediately mark a spot Thexus can walk backwards to and be safe from Neraph/Angelius charges (12 inches without the Seraph). Fyanna has feat up, plan is to surround models and do big CMA's to get some damage out.

Both Bender units Adrenal future CMA leaders. The Pink and Green Slavers each surround a Neraph and CMA off the back, they do good damage but can't one shot (Not even Legion heavies are that soft), though courtesy of the Thrall charge the centre Neraph has only a couple boxes left. The big one I want to kill is the forward Angelius, so I surround it with Risen and charge Alexia in. She ends up burning all bar one Risen for mediocre damage, missing about 5 of her 6 attacks (50% theoretical hit ratio). I then charge a Wrecker in, as not killing this Angel means I'm in severe danger of the attrition loss. The Wrecker lands its boosted Instigated Initials, again I leave it on a few boxes. Dangit.

Thexus activates, arcs Rampager on the low Health Angel, sends it backwards where, being feat turn, it misses the Forsaken who dodges away. Urk. Thexus then backs up and casts Deflection.

The ambush drudges surround the Raek, the Admo Angel triggers itself to move forward a bit. three of them then go on the Shepherd. CRA's in the back kill the Shepherd and hurt the Raek pretty badly.

No points scored or likely to be for me at this point.

IPB Image
Legion 3: A Neraph has a frenzy point, its good Threshold serves it well.

The Forsaken comes up and pulls off the Fury from the frenzy Neraph.
The Raek surrounded by Ambushers makes some attacks, but is out of control and does only munches a couple. The Neraphs chew up some more Slaver Drudges. The Angels come forward, they kill Alexia and the Wrecker. Fyanna clears off the Drudges contesting the centre flag and sits on it. The right most Neraph uses a Sprint move to get to the right flag.

Legion go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Starting to look super bad. Fyanna is on Fury and a bunch of the Legion beasts have super low health, plan is try to get soem damage on Fyanna, hope the Angels don't take pot shots on Thexus which kill him and try to finangle out a win somehow.

The Ambush Drudges surround the Raek again and position to be able to get the left flag. They CMA in the back and easily finish off the Raek.
The left most Overlords advance, land an Influence on a Sorceress who sprays a Forsaken and sadly misses, which in hindsight is for the best given it wasn't legal (The Spray isn't a Basic Attack).
An Agitator charges the Admo Angelius, who uses it to fly backwards behind a pair of Neraphs.
Strategic Adrenal Surges happens.
Thexus moves up a little, feats to move models out of the way, including having the right Angelius poke out of the Trench. It then gets Rampagered, moves up and kills the remaining Forsaken. Thexus then TK's an Overlord into command for reasons.
The Green Drudge charges and kills the weakest Neraph. This frees up room for the two Adrenaled Pink Slaver Drudges to charge Fyanna. The first one hits and does ten damage. The second misses and she dodges out of the way.

I get a point on the left flag., Legions favour at 2 vs 1.

IPB Image
Legion 4: The Sorceress' spray down a line of Drudges. The Neraphs kill a bit more stuff. Fyanna goes to the centre flag, the Naga runs to the flag.

The Angels then advance and shoot Thexus down. Sigh.

The score would be 4 v 2 at the end of the Legion turn, had I survived the random assassination then I mapped/rolled out a scenario play that gets me the win (Thexus charges, TK's the right Neraph out of contesting range, TK's some other stuff out of the way, Agitator runs to score the centre flag, ambushers keep scoring the left, Spray Bender attacks and charging right overlord unit kill the Naga on that side and I go to 5CP.

Things to bear in mind at OTC if the matchup happens:
* Kill the Angels
* Pull models forward with Rampager
* Keep Wrecker in Sac Pawn range until Angels/Seraph are dead
* Don't bother with Deflection, use a hex blast on a turned around Rampagered Admo'd Angel to then get it killed.
* Fyanna's feat is an Aura, use feat to pull models out of her range to drop Defence/Dodge.
* Overlords hit bonus and CMA's vital in the matchup
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 29 2017, 01:09 AM
Post #406

And at last the OTC happens. Gorten with Lessers and Thexus Drudge spam for me.

Our opening opposition is the sweet Tassites. Of note is that scenario/terrain is very relevant for my lists, it wouldn't surprise me if I was the most fluid in my ratings on the day, alas my poor Kapitan.

I have a couple dead matchups (Ghost fleet with double Wraith Engine is a problem, inexperience into Circle), the other three however I put myself as favoured into (CoC, Menoth, Khador). I expected to go into Clockwork Commandos (That's when you go out wearing a partially demolished clockwork in place of undies), sure enough into G-G-G-G-G-Gxis I go!

I pick a table that has some line of sight obstructing terrain, which can give me some options against the TEPs. This is based on the expectation it'll be Axis, which sure enough turns out to be true.

Convergence of Cyriss - Axis OTC
Theme: Destruction Initiative
Armory - Steamroller Objective
Axis, The Harmonic Enforcer - WJ: +30
- Inverter - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Inverter - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 15)
- Inverter - PC: 15
- Conservator - PC: 12
- Corollary - PC: 6
Transfinite Emergence Projector - PC: 19
- Permutation Servitors
Transfinite Emergence Projector - PC: 19
- Permutation Servitors
Reflex Servitors - 3 Reflex Servitors: 0
Attunement Servitors - 3 Attunement Servitors: 0
Attunement Servitors - 3 Attunement Servitors: 0
Optifex Directive - Leader & 2 Grunts: 4

By Gods. I just had to copy paste that and it felt amazing.

Objective: Bunker
(Gorten 1) Gorten Grundback [+31]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
Gobber Tinker [2]
Ragman [4]
Rorsh [15]
Savio Montero Acosta [6]
Wrong Eye [17]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]

From indistinct and hazy records written by the elder ones (You know, those brain cells approaching 48hours of age), it is suggested that Convergence won the roll and picked first. I pick the side of the board with the building, otherwise there's a blob of rubble smack bang in the centre of the zone while the various evil grandfather clocks have some woods that don't do a huge amount.

IPB Image
CoC 1: Reflex Servitors move up a bit, spread out and Dig in. A TEP is on either side, having just lazily advanced up. The battlegroup moves up the centre, Conservator out front. Axis puts Iron Aggression on the far right Inverter and forgets to move (Not a killbox scenario, so this doesn't hurt him to bad).

IPB Image
Merc 1: Everything runs. The Pigs lean toward the left, the intent being for them to kill that sides TEP. The Crocs submerge and go on the right, Wrongeye into the building, Snappy starting his beeline to the right TEP.
Everything else goes up as a blob in the centre, Strength of Granite on a Driller and Solid Ground up.

IPB Image
CoC 2: It's a quite conservative turn from Convergence, four Reflex Servitors run up to jam, one on Brine, another on a Gunner, two on Snapjaw.
The Conservator toes the very back of the zone as the Inverters wiggle their booties behind him.
Axis makes up for lost time and gets up the board (I think Onslaught was up, but not 100% on that one).

IPB Image
Merc 2: Pretty simple plan for this turn, hang back, kill the opposing objective, keep conservative on my clock. TEPs take time, while the Conservator feat push for scoring would net me points I'd then get screwed attritionly, so I'm better off achieving little and just waiting.

Brine, Snapjaw and the Green Eliminators all clear out the jam models and essentially don't advance. A spray bunny advances the bare minimum to thread a spray through those Kayazy and kill a Dug in Reflex Servitor. A Gunner moves to above my objective, shoots the opposing iteration, Conservator takes the Shield Guard. Gorten then toes the zone, fires a POW 16 shot at the objectives, boosts the damage and cranks the roll. The other Gunner easily finishes it off. The Granite Driller goes next to Gorten, the other is further back with some of the support pieces.
The Red Kayazy go, the leader runs into the zone just shy of the Conservator threat range as time waste piece. The other runs way out of command into my backfield, intent being as a late game contesting piece as required.
Wrongeye walks around to the back of the building and Submerges, as did Snapjaw.

Mercs go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
CoC 3: I like to think this pic is how I was seeing the table at the time. Alcoholics go to meetings, so I don't count.

The left TEP advances, shoots down Acosta. Sadness. The right advances, lightly pings a Spray Bunny and kills the Green Eliminators.
The Conservator charges the Red Kayazy in the zone, boosts to hit and bins her hard. The Inverters then move around at the top of the zone in a semi circle.
Various Servitors form a backline behind those jacks, another Reflex Servitor engages Brine, a second goes on Snapjaw, a third goes a few inches from Snappy.

IPB Image
Merc 3: I really like what's being done here. Gorten can charge the Conservator for feat distance, but doing so draws in Inverter Counter Charges that are going to be awful. I could throw focus out, pull the jacks in and try to kill with my jacks, then only one Heavy needs to survive, get speed with Axis feat and kill the dwarf.
I opt to go for the scoring play and trying to pop the Conservator.

Aiyanna misses the Harm on the Conservator. Dammit lady, practice zapping Holt until you do this better!
Holt and the in zone Gunner shoot the Conservator, get some damage on him.
The Strength of Granite Driller charges the Conservator, toes the zone. Gets an Inverter Countercharge, which I just had to accept was going to happen, he lands a mild hit (Solid Ground stops the knock down) that takes out no systems. The Driller lands its attacks, rolls well and lands a massive amount of damage that takes the Vector out.
Gorten then advances up in the zone, feat pushes back all the jacks, one Inverter turns into a blue proxy base, another stays in the zone alas. The Dorf then does a couple shots into the Inverter, which gets Shield Guarded to Servitors.

On the left, a Blaster falls back and shoots Brine. This kills a Servitor and does a couple points to Brine, triggering Pain Response. Rorsh then smokes the Big Pig forward, he charges for free, no Counter Charges trigger due to my feat. I go up to three Fury to kill it.

Wrongeye moves up the left side of the house and submerges. Snapjaw tramples, killing a Reflex Servitor and Submerging. The Red Kayazy runs to this side, trying to draw off the annoying Reflex Servitor that Snappy failed to kill.

IPB Image
CoC 4: Axis Counterfeats and hangs back next to the Corollary, who toes the zone. My outer circle of support/backfield models aren't hit, pretty much everything that matters is.
Two Inverters move up into the zone behind the rubble, the third is further in the backfield and and starts busting a move in Bacon directions.
The TEP moves up and guns down a Blaster and Aiyanna. A Reflex Servitor engages Snapjaw.

IPB Image
Merc 4: I'm 9 minutes ahead on clock, so my only real plan here is to have a reasonably quick turn and make sure Gorten doesn't die. I've screwed up my Croc Fury, not accounting for the Trample of last time. Fortunately he passes his frenzy roll, Brine however was never going to be able to and Frenzies after Rorsh pulls off one Fury. Axis feat stops the charge, so that was that. I keep the fury on him, Rorsh will be doing some gun shots anyway.

We didn't pick up that my speed should have been debuffed on my models. The Strength penalty didn't come up and we played the no charge deal, completely skipped on the -2 Speed, I've only realised that now looking at the Pics. Ultimately it changes where Gortens wall and battlegroup models end up, I'm in a worst position but think the game is still in my favour quite reasonably.

I drop Strength of Granite, Gorten walks back, puts down a wall where the Inverters bases could land. Do a boosted POW 16 shot on an Inverter for some damage. The Gunners toe the back of the zone and shoot said Inverter, as does Holt in the backfield. Damage rolls are not mighty alas. Snapjaw submerges and eats the Reflex Servitor. Wrongeye moves back around the house.
Rorsh moves in, shoots the same Inverter for a bit of damage.
Brine and the Drillers make a line of heavies to the left of the zone.
The Red Eliminator runs up to the right side of the board.

IPB Image
CoC 5: The Inverter I shot somewhat goes into the forward most Driller and kills it.
Back Inverter goes into Brine, misses the charging Macro Pummeler. Hitting with the other harm puts Brine on a handful of boxes. Right Inverter charges a Gunner and misses its attacks, or so I infer from the photo. The TEP goes behind it and messes up the remaining Driller with its sprays.

IPB Image
Merc 5: Still up on time, otherwise keep attritioning it. Keep Gorten safe.

Up on the left, Ragman goes behind Brine and Death Field, one Inverter gets a Counter Charge that misses. Rorsh heals Brine, shoots the Inverter in the zone. Brine then attacks the pair of Inverters next to him, kills one and heavily damages the other.

Wrongeye hides behind the house, pops Submerge and Star Crossed. Snapjaw goes in, easily kills the TEP.

Gorten backs up out of the zone, puts down a safety wall and shoots the forward Inverter. The Gunner toes the zone and shoots the same Vector, as does Holt.
The damaged Driller lost Cortex, so just hangs back and gets Tinkered.

Blaster moves up to Brine, shoots down two of the repair guys.

Red Eliminator runs up behind Axis.

IPB Image
CoC 6/Merc 6/CoC 7/Merc 7/CoC 8: Not many CoC pieces in the endgame, the Inverters kill Brine and Snapjaw, the Corollary contests.

I then kill the top Inverter with the Driller, shoot the Corollary and kill it with the Eliminator Combo Striking. There's still an Inverter left, so Gorten stays back and I get a point for controlling, going 2 v 0.

Axis runs to the right flag, Inverter walks back. Score is now 2 v 1 my way.

I shoot the Inverter down, contest the flag with the Kayazy and put Gorten in the zone, go up 4v2.

Axis kills the Eliminator with a Battering ram, goes to 2 as I get the zone.

I loved this game, much as the snafoo with the Axis feat is regrettable. Will need to play Hastenon more in the future. I'd call this tied for my favourite game of the weekend.

We went up 4v1 this round, so already looking better than last years attempt.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 29 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #407

Not going to go in depth on my round 2 game, Gorten into Makeda2 on Two Fronts. The opening turns are slow enough from Skorne that time becomes my win condition, good thing given the scenario is difficult.

I screw up my opening fort, not surrounding Gorten with Jacks as I should have, instead relying on defence/star cross. Makeda feats, manages to land all the attacks on the blocking pieces without issue, Archidon is just in to charge Gorten, I survive on a tough roll.

I then feat, kill a bunch of Ferox. We grind on a few more turns, however I lost to much on the initial wave to kill enough and get greedy scoring on my flag, so eventually Radheim got in with an attack and killed the Dorf in the last 10 seconds of the clock, Skorne not having much else beside. Also failed pretty hard on accounting for the Krea gun.

Had multiple ways to do it better, such is life. Losing the match drops the round for our team as we go down 2 to 3, only game of the weekend I regret playing.
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post May 29 2017, 09:27 AM
Post #408

Member No.: 4,171

Good reads.

Nice photos, did you get a new Not-Potato or something?

Post-OTC, what are you doing? Minions? A whole new faction? Not-Gorten Mercs, or going to stay on the Gorten train?

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 29 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #409

QUOTE(Master Chris @ May 29 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Good reads.

Nice photos, did you get a new Not-Potato or something?

Nah, just lighting. The Potato will power on!

QUOTE(Master Chris @ May 29 2017, 10:27 AM) *

Post-OTC, what are you doing? Minions? A whole new faction? Not-Gorten Mercs, or going to stay on the Gorten train?

Minions for a bit, when (I mean....if......yeah.....) I get pulled back in it'll probably be due to Thexus
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post May 30 2017, 10:18 AM
Post #410

Interesting, Thexus is now your Merc-Boi?

Now that OTC is done, I can *probably* stop laying down the H3 Cancer, as I'm tempted to explore the Exemplar Theme but at the same time, I really want access to the updated Vessel of Judgement before I really jump into the dojo.

--------------------
Everything that existed before I was born is irrelevant, everything that exists after I die is lucky.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 30 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #411

QUOTE(Master Chris @ May 30 2017, 11:18 AM) *

Interesting, Thexus is now your Merc-Boi?

Now that OTC is done, I can *probably* stop laying down the H3 Cancer, as I'm tempted to explore the Exemplar Theme but at the same time, I really want access to the updated Vessel of Judgement before I really jump into the dojo.

Pretty much? Given I see little value in not playing SR2017, it's attrition lists based now anyway and Thexus does that. Given I just read that you've tried the Exemplar theme, seems likely that you've already made up your mind:p
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 30 2017, 08:57 PM
Post #412

Alright, round 3 of OTC, into Victoria Batman.

Big deal for me here is it's Incursion for this round, a scenario that makes me prefer my Thexus matchups over my Gorten ones. El Kapitan manages the matchups well per every round, gets me into Skorne, which in this team is one of the two Cephalyx matches.

The opposing lists are a Rasheth gun based deal and Xerxis with a stack of beasts (Primarily Savages). At the time I wasn't sure what the Skorne drop was as it didn't really change my viewpoint, it ended up being Tubby which is certainly the right choice, I just overwhelm that sort of beast heavy list.

[Theme] Operating Theater
(Thexus 1) Exulon Thexus [+29]
- Wrecker [14]
- Wrecker [14]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
Alexia Ciannor & the Risen [10]
- Cephalyx Dominator [1]
Cephalyx Mind Bender & Drudges (max) [11]
Cephalyx Mind Slaver & Drudges (max) [12]
Cephalyx Overlords [0(8)]

Theme: Winds of Death
Fuel Cache - Steamroller Objective
Dominar Rasheth - WB: +28
- Archidon - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Basilisk Krea - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Titan Gladiator - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 11)
- Cyclops Savage - PC: 7
- Archidon - PC: 10
Venator Dakar - PC: 0
Extoller Soulward - PC: 3
Venator Dakar - PC: 4
Venator Reivers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Venator Reiver Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4
Venator Flayer Cannon Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 5
Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 7
Venator Slingers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 8
Venator Slingers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 8
Venator Flayer Cannon Crew - Gunner & Grunt: 0

Our grouping of tables is average for me, each one having a defensive terrain piece for Thexus to bravely sit behind to contemplate the meaning of life. His life that is, Drudges are just a means of production.
Out table has one side dominated by a pair of large forests, a central wall then the opposing side having a wall and water feature.

I win the roll and gamble, picking first. Worst comes to worst I'll just use the Wrecker meat shield and distance, much as I like arcing some spells. It pays off however, and not without reason. The forests will force me to endure some compression annoyances for my large army, should be manageable though.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Skorne throw down their wall near the water, above the centre flag.
Skorne's deployment is symmetrical, the only noteworthy part of mine is Thexus towards the right for the larger of the two forests.
The Slavers surge forward, Alexia and the Benders compress behind them, spawning a Warrior Thrall. The Overlords go on either flank, intended to be the main annoyance pieces for the respective flanking flags.

IPB Image
Skorne 1: Skorne move up, four of the Slingers run way forward, intended to arc Sunder Spirits on the Cephalyx leaders of the Slaver units. Alas, the Extoller didn't activate prior to Rasheth shumbling forward, so with no stealth mitigation he instead puts Carnivore on the right Archidon and throws a Breath of Corruption that kills a pair of Green Drudges.
Otherwise Archidons hide behind walls, the Venator unit is on the left with Beasts on the right.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Nothing to amazing from me here, alas for poor butterpants the Venators have drifted to far to the side and are going to get some fishbowls added to their apparel. I'll also throw a Thrall Warrior forward, probably won't do anything but free missile is free.

The ambushers pop in from the left, they charge and apply Cybermen esque conversions to three Skorne dudes, which spawn in and engage a few more chaps. Finally the multi-coloured spawn models get to come forth and spread some fabulousness.

Both Overlord units go to their respective flags, one goes base to base while the others hold at the 4 inch mark, I expect the potential scorer to die however they are annoying models to deal with, which usually means good stuff for the evil underworld plastic surgeons (You think all random dudes that get fishbowled start with abs like that?!).

The Pink Drudges go in, eat a pair of the potential arc node Slingers. I screw up my positioning a little bit, so the Green Drudges only get one attack on the third and miss, MAT 5 not being something to run home about.

A new Thrall Warrior spawned, the original played it safe sticking on the left flank intending to be a future scoring piece while the newb lacked the turns experience to realise he shouldn't charge an Archidon and try to punch over a wall. Naturally misses, oh well.

The Risen clump up in the backfield as the Benders group up into triangles of convenience and Thexus stays behind the forest, having finished fueling up the Wreckers.

IPB Image
Skorne 2: The Slingers move around to various positions, shoot poorly at some Drudges.
Rasheth Feats, throws out some Sunder Spirits to kill an Overlord on either flank.
The Venators turn and shoot at the Ambush Drudges, popping half a dozen of them.
The left Archidon moves across to the right, stabs a few more Drudges.
Right Archidon goes in on the right Overlords, kills one and sprints to the flag.
A wall of beasts forms in front of Rasheth, the Cyclops having come forth and bopped the suicide Thrall Warrior on the head.

We don't believe in no points around here!

IPB Image
Merc 3: I dislike that Carnivored Archidon on the right. Rasheth can't speed him up, I'd still rather deal with it now than when Thexus has greater difficulty getting away from it. Also time to get a couple points and ensure that close out option is there should clock get away from me, though that is unlikely given the trouble my list is causing.

Left flag is fairly clear, the Overlords spray down some Skorne infantry as the Thrall Warrior goes in for the score.
The Yellow Ambush Drudges stab at the Venators again, replenishing their ranks.
Bender units each Adrenal three of the two other Slaver units.
Pink Slavers, more on the left side, have their Adrenal fellas and a bonus CMA provider chap go into one Archidon. I roll quite well and pop the beast.
One Wrecker runs through the forest, getting a bead on the right Archidon. Thexus arcs a Rampager on him, moving him across and turning him around. Exulon then hides behind the other Wrecker and throws up Deflection.
The Green Adrenalled Drudges go into the remaining Archidon, they do good damage but don't kill it, so Alexia throws up a Thrall Warrior that gets the job done.
Lastly, an Agitator runs to score the right flag.

Mercs go up 2 CP.

IPB Image
Skorne 3: Slingers try to get a run and line of sight on Thexus, but can't channel with the Wrecker's position.
That avenue closed, Skorne munch on more stuff hoping to score more points, the Krea and Reaper coming forward and munching the centre Drudges. The Dakaars contest a flanking flag each, one of them putting paid to the first Thrall Warrior I made in the game.
Paingivers come in, proving to be the best warriors in the Skorne empire at this point, as anatomical does some serious anti Drudge work.
The Venators continue their struggle against the ambushers to little avail.

IPB Image
Merc 4: Continue the spam!
A horde of Risen arise and swarm forth where the Drudges once stood.
The ambushers chew once again, replenishing once again. The remaining Overlords do some sweet sprays.
Thexus hides behind his wobbly naked flesh puppets, the last avenue in which I might lose.

I go to 4 CP.

Skorne only have four minutes to my twenty on the clock, they do some half hearted attacks but ultimately clock out.

I'd call this a fairly classic you-haven't-seen-this-nonsense-before game. Enjoyable, but a horrible struggle for the Skorne side.
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 31 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #413

Round 4, team is at a glorious 2 up 1 down, we win the next one and the odds of getting into the semi's cut are pretty good. It's NSW Try Hards, so....guess we hope they Try to Hard and have a communal aneurysm or something?

Our grids were somewhat.....garbage into this. Yellows and Oranges for days. Scenario is Entrenched, and I correctly guessed the matchup I would go into, though know one seemed that enthused to go into Fundges.

Pretty much every table on the set we had featured one side with a Thexus hidey hole option, so that didn't change anything.

- Wrecker [14]
- Wrecker [14]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
- Cephalyx Dominator [1]

[Theme] The Ghost Fleet
(Deneghra 1) Warwitch Deneghra [+28]
- Deathripper [6]
- Deathripper [6]
- Deathripper [6]
- Nightmare [18]
Captain Rengrave [0(5)]
Hellslinger Phantom [0(7)]
Pistol Wraith [0(5)]
Pistol Wraith [5]
Blackbane's Ghost Raiders (max) [17]
Revenant Crew of the Atramentous (min) [9]
- Revenant Crew Rifleman (3) [6]

Sigh. Really? Someone bought the damn Hellslinger already? Bah. Bah I say!

I'm not super confident going in, as the limited test runs have featured Ghost Fleet eventually out attritioning me, as it kneecaps all my own recursion while having a mechanism that I struggle against. Stupid Deathbound. The version here is a little better for me I feel, as I dislike the concept of having to go against Wraith Engines, a thought I'll have to examine some other time.

I lose the roll, because Ghost Fleet and all. I take the side with a defensible forest in the centre of the board, also getting an a tiny obstruction of dubious merit and a hill.
There's a blob of water in the centre of the table and some other terrain bits that don't matter.

IPB Image
Round 1: The undead come forward, a droob from each Revenant unit is so far back that they're out of shot. There's a left side slant in the formation, though not onerously so. Nightmare PRey's one of the Wreckers. Arc Nodes spread throughout. Blackbanes are out the front.

I run my own dudes forward, Thexus stays hidden in a central spot behind the forest and Wreckers. Overlords flank per the usual.

IPB Image
Cryx 2: Let the long slog truly begin!
The Blackbanes apparition forward, then charge up, munching two Drudges and toughing another.
Everything else advances up the board, nothing outrageous happens.

IPB Image
Merc 2: Easy enough planning at this stage. The Blackbanes have to die, otherwise a few charge Thexus on Denny's feat and bam, down the floaty chewed up Red Indian goes. Ambushers also will be appearing, there's an arcnode they can nab, which is nice if I somehow get attacks on the others at some point and get rid of a late run magic pew pew death scream attack on, again, the shrivelled bit of meat that tells the Drudges what to do. Ambushers can then try to get to the damn reserve pirates.

Between Alexia Dominating, spraying Benders and Drudges attacking the Corporeal ones the Blackbanes all pop.
The left most Overlords move up, two of them spray down the most extremely placed Pistol Wraith.
Ambushers go in, a pair of two Drudge CMA's go into the arcnode and botch it, one lot misses ergo it's left with it's movement and arcnode. Alas. The other ambushers are further up, waiting to go into the reserve Revenant smucks hopefully.
Thexus backs up a bit, I don't feel an especial need for him to be up the board at this point.

IPB Image
Cryx 3: Denny toes her friendly zone and camps it up. Revenansts move around, they kill most of the Pink Slavers and one of the Ambushers. The Hellsligners eats a pair of the Ambush Drudges, the first of many.
Everything else just advances a short distance.

Cryx go to 1 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 3: I plan out a rough assassination. Thexus can move forward, feat push models aside, then I can ADrenal the remaining pair of Pink Drudges, who can charge into Denny after the out of activation move. The distances aren't quite there alas, I can get one in but not both. In theory I could run a Wrecker over and TK the Drudge into distance, alas I genuinely didn't think of it at the time, it maths out at just shy of 50% assassination. Should have gone for it, my real problem here being besides clock I'm not pushing any win condition, Ghost Fleet attritions better and I'm poorly positioned on the scoring front, an error I fundamentally made in deployment.

Ambushers go forward and kill the left most Revenant crew flunky.
Left side Overlords do some good sprays.
Few remaining Pink Drudges contest the Cryx zone.
The right Overlords try to spray down Revenants and roll......poorly.....the Green Drudges actually have to go in and kills some Revenants to stop the Overlords being immediately killed next turn.

IPB Image
Cryx 4: Revenants surge forward, the Riflemans pop more of the Ambush Drudges as does the Hellslinger, leaving them just a pair of smucks. They also kill one of the left Overlords and two on the right. Pink Drudges get reduced to just their Cephalyx unit leader, the Green fellas also get chomped on considerably.

Cryx go to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Merc 4: I've got nothing. It's feat to try to claw something back time.

Thexus moves up behind the Wreckers, feat pushes everything together.
Benders and remaining Overlords do sprays, I wipe out the left Revenant crew. I awkwardly discover that Rengrave has Call to Sacrifice.
After some thinking, I curse my lack of play experience into Ghost Fleet, as after wasting some attacks Alexia goes up, uses her power to move Rengrave out of Call to Sac range and the Pink Cephalyx Slaver charges and kills him off.

The Green Drudges kill some more dudes on the right, the last Overlord on that flank does an average spray.

I forget completely to activate the pair of Ambush Drudges, oh well.

IPB Image
Cryx 5: Denny moves up a little bit and feats, because she might as well.
Agitators get killed by Revenants, the Hellslinger finishes off the Ambush Drudges and sidesteps to shoot Green Drudges as well, having moved further this game off Sidesteps than his actual Movement score.
Pirates charge and eat my objective.
An Arc Node and Nightmare move to be in front of Denny.

IPB Image
Merc 5/Cryx 6: I have to go for a desperate Wrecker assassination.
Alexia stabs a Wrecker and fuels him up, Thexus ends up having to move forward and TK himself, TK the arc node and the Monstrosity forward. I screwed up and allocated one out, which ends up being fatal on the already low odds assassination run. The Wrecker goes in and tries to beat back to Denny, flubbs it then Nightmare kills the Wrecker and Hellslinger kills a contesting Drudge.

Looking at it hindsight, the game is far more winnable than my pessimism at the time was treating it, simply committed a classic flaw of not determining my win condition early. I should have been making the long term scenario play, sending Drudges into the Cryx objective on the bottom of two and keeping Thexus less uber protected, but going for the defensive score. The Crux leaned deployment actually would have assisted with such a plan. Doh. At least it was a game into Drewbru, who is a sweet dude.

Alas, our team goes down as well. Fortunately, outside of NSW dominance, most teams are going 2 v 2 and we have a decent amount of game wins (Most wins being 4v1 and losses 2v3) so we have good odds of getting into the semis if we win the next round on the morrow.

This post has been edited by Angry_Norway: May 31 2017, 05:41 PM
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post May 31 2017, 08:44 PM
Post #414

Nice. Talk seems to be that GF is pretty horrid, like mk3 Body and Soul. As someone whose opinion I respect, your thoughts on Ghost Fleet?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post May 31 2017, 09:42 PM
Post #415

QUOTE(Master Chris @ May 31 2017, 09:44 PM) *

Nice. Talk seems to be that GF is pretty horrid, like mk3 Body and Soul. As someone whose opinion I respect, your thoughts on Ghost Fleet?

It's not Body and Soul terrible. It is annoying and the regen aspect of the pirates isn't great design.

It falls into quality of life fix area. I'd rather downturn Denny than Ghostfleet, but if I was only making changes in theme I'd turn the regen into standard with every other iteration (no combat action) and do something about the lame "Here's my safety man on the board edge".
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jun 1 2017, 02:40 AM
Post #416

It's the dawn of a new day, and Gary Oldman must yell at Apes. Awful movie.

It's QLD Maroon, if we beat them then we'll both be the 3-2 teams in our pool and Bam, possibly beating up Billy May's we might be.

The scenario is the Pit, which is a bit of shame. I outright love Gorten on this scenario, but every single matchup in this team I preferred to play Thexus. Oh well. I get put into Skanky Anime, using Cygnar lists that are far enough off the beaten path that Thexus can play it as a Yellow matchup.

- Wrecker [14]
- Wrecker [14]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
Cephalyx Agitator [3]
- Cephalyx Dominator [1]

Theme: Heavy Metal
Stockpile - Steamroller Objective
Commander Coleman Stryker - WJ: +30
- Squire - PC: 0
- Stormwall - PC: 39 (Battlegroup Points Used: 30)
- Stormwall - PC: 39
- Firefly - PC: 8
- Firefly - PC: 8
Journeyman Warcaster - PC: 0
- Charger - PC: 9
Captain Arlan Strangewayes - PC: 0
Archduke Alain Runewood, Lord of Fharin - PC: 0

I pick a table which is one of the few with space on the side for an army tray. I mean.....it has a forest for Thexus to hide behind....yeah......

The roll is made, I lose it. I then get thrown by the Swans correctly picking the side I wanted. Foiled!
I end up with a hill and a small obstruction, there's water in the zone with more mini obstructions on the flank and a forest well placed for the Swans. And an irrelevant hill.

Time to get our Zulu recreation on. I outnumber the Swans 6 to 1, not counting Zombie Recursion, however they are fairly safe from my feat and TK shenanigans and covering fire will do a lot of positioning work.
Weirdly enough the last time I had a go at tearing open Wagon Wheels packets we played Thexus with Monstrosity spam versus Stryker 2 with loads of infantry and jacks. How times change.

IPB Image
Merc 1: Were coming for you Michael Caine!
Dudes start running forward. Thexus hides behind the Wreckers. Overlords spread out on either side, that good old anti-leap placement. Alexia spawns a Thrall Warrior who runs up to the right edge of the zone, he'll die which is the point.

IPB Image
Cygnar 1: Stryker puts Snipe on Junior's Charger and Arcane Shield on one of the Stormwalls. Junior Arcane Shields the other.
The Colossals advance, take pot shots and put down a wall of Covering Fire.
Fireflys run up on the left, the Charger goes up and also does the early game pew pew.
Squire and Strangeways hang out in metallic Gluteus Maximus regions.
Runewood starts going all commando, heads out on his lonesome toward the right side.
Overall I lost a couple of the front line Drudges and the suicide Thrall Warrior.

IPB Image
Merc 2: So......I'd actually forgotten Storm Walls had Covering Fire. Whoops. Fortunately it's not really an issue, TK and Adrenal movements get Drudges around them and they do negligible damage to Monstrosities. I'll have to swarm up, then it's just a matter of waiting out Strykers feat next turn. Unless he doesn't feat, in which it won't be much of a game.

Drudges advance up as far as they can, forming up into triangles for the sake of absorbing e-leaps.
Both Overlord units run up and spread around.
The Ambushers come in on the right into the Swan backfield, on the way they silence Runewoods Arndold Schwarzenegger impression by throwing a fishbowl over his head.
Alexia spawns a Thrall Warrior, who missiles up into a Firefly, I believe he misses.

IPB Image
Cygnar 2: The Stormwalls, still both Arcane Shielded, advance into the zone and put down more Covering Fire. They shoot the big guns at the right Wrecker, messing him up a bit, he Hyper Aggressives a little bit forward.
The Firefly stabs and kills the Thrall, so mission success. The Charger and now freed up Firefly shoot down some Drudges.
Stryker feats and hugs the Stormwalls, Strangeways and the Squire with him.
Junior runs to the Cygnar board edge.

IPB Image
Merc 3: No point futzing around with the Colossals this turn, I'll keep setting up for murdering Junior and try to scratch the lighter jacks.

The Overlords run up both sides, the left ones going further than the right as the Ambushers have that ground covered.
Green Drudges run between the covering fire into the water.
Two of the Pink Drudges get Adrenalled, they charge up into one of the Fireflies, doing some damage. Alexia sends another Thrall missile into the same one, succeeds in knocking out the Cortex and right arm.
Thexus moves to be beside the cover, arcs a Hex Blast through the forward Wrecker to take out Strykers Arcane Shield. If he's putting that back up hes not doing other stuff. Said Wrecker then walks back to Sac Pawn range.
One Agitator runs behind the small obstruction on the right, as an optimistic Swan flag scorer if that opportunity opens up.

IPB Image
Cygnar 3: The Charger and Junior desperately try to kill the left Overlord unit, they end up popping one and injuring another, it's far shot of what was hoped for.

The Stormwalls advance a short distance, they throw out more lightning pods, one of which clears out the two Drudges and Thrall that messed up one of the Fireflies. The Big Guns hammer the damaged Wrecker, putting him on minimal health. Only one Stormwall remembers to put down Covering Fire, I don't think it'll change much. Stryker puts Arcane Shield back up.
The Fireflies shoot some more dudes.

IPB Image
Merc 4: I'm killing a colossal this turn, preferably I get Junior, otherwise I have to do a Hex Blast which I'd rather not. Otherwise it's keep Thexus safe and throw dudes around.

The pair of left Overlords go in, after a bunch of screwing around it's worked out I can't get a backstrike, so they just move up and Physic Assault. They successfully melt Junior's brains, the Charger shuts down.

The left Stormwall loses its Arcane Shield, so I send the healthy Wrecker in, he gets a free charge courtesy of the scatter of Stormpods in Thexus' command. He getsmost of the work done but doesn't kill it, per the math. The Pink Drudges get Adrenaled, they charge in and finish off the Stormwall while the Ceph unit leader goes into the damaged Firefly and does a chunk of damage.

Alexia spawns a Thrall Warrior, that missiles into the healthy Firefly and sadly misses.

The Green Drudges get Adrenalled as well, they charge the other Storm Wall for giggles, do some reasonable chip damage.

The Ambush Drudges run in from the back, two get a CMA on Strangeways but fail to take out all his boxes.

Thexus moves behind the Obstruction, pops Deflection and Psycho Surgery. At this point I realise the healthy Firefly looks a bit to close, so I feat it to push it out of charge range. A weak feat, but not like I needed it for anything else.

IPB Image
Cygnar 4: It's hail mary time!
Stryker puts Snipe on the Stormwall, moves up forward and Earthquakes down Thexus, his protection Wrecker and a few of the random models around them.

The damaged Firefly cops a Freestrike, it dies.
The other Firefly pings the Wrecker, zapping Thexus with a leap for some damage.
The last available attacks are from the Stormwall, starting with a Big Gun shot that pings to the Wrecker and leaves it on one box. It gets four little shots that go straight to Thexus, poor rolls see them do no relevant damage. The last big shot goes in, Sac Pawns to the Wrecker and blows it up.

Merc 5: Stryker gets surrounded by Adrenalled Drudges, presumably screams as the Fish Bowl descends.

Pretty sure the team had already won the round before I finished up, in any event we were into the semis!
+Quote Post
kandaras0
post Jun 1 2017, 10:47 AM
Post #417

Member No.: 4,032

It was a good fun solid game. Always a pleasure Jahn.

--------------------
WTC 2016 - Australia Wallaby

Pygall - "Gut Magic, putting the 'laughter' back in slaughtermaster."
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jun 1 2017, 01:39 PM
Post #418

QUOTE(kandaras0 @ Jun 1 2017, 11:47 AM) *

It was a good fun solid game. Always a pleasure Jahn.

My cunning pleasure veil succeeds again!

Wait, that sounds weird....

I'd call that one in the top two for my weekend, with that standard "too lazy to pick out of the pair" tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Angry_Norway
post Jun 2 2017, 02:09 AM
Post #419

Alright, semi finals time into NSW Asian Dad!

I grids into this were better than into team Try Hard, though with a slight higher degree of extreme matchups (i.e more bad and great versus mostly average with hard).
Ended up into Batesinator (The one who can walk at this point in Aussie Warmachine history), running Rhulic Mercs.
I'd rated this a tentative yellow, in hindsight I'd call that willful optimism. Wouldn't call it bad enough to not be in the yellow band, but the players involved make an enormous difference (Which I guess is a lame open ended statement about all Warmachine games, but sod off).

Scenario is extraction, tables are not Thexus friendly. Did have an awkward moment, in that our table number changed between having a look at them and where we ended up, so that was unfortunate but ultimately didn't matter. I'd genuinely prefer to drop Thexus versus Ossrum or have a Gorten off (Thexus loses loads of dudes to Ossrum, but that isn't how he wins that game anyway so it doesn't matter).

Ends up being what I expected:
(Gorten 1) Gorten Grundback [+31]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Ghordson Driller [10]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Grundback Blaster [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
- Grundback Gunner [6]
Gobber Tinker [2]
Ragman [4]
Rorsh [15]
Savio Montero Acosta [6]
Wrong Eye [17]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Kayazy Eliminators [5]
Lady Aiyana & Master Holt [8]

Theme: Hammer Strike
Armory - Steamroller Objective
General Ossrum - WJ: +28
- Wroughthammer Rockram - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Wroughthammer Rockram - PC: 14 (Battlegroup Points Used: 14)
- Grundback Gunner - PC: 6
Ogrun Bokur - PC: 0
Thor Steinhammer - PC: 4
Horgenhold Forge Guard - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
Horgenhold Artillery Corps - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 0
Horgenhold Artillery Corps - Gunner & 2 Grunts: 6
Herne & Jonne - Herne & Jonne: 5

I've played a lot of Gorten, and against Ossrum a number of times, but weirdly enough not the actual matchup. In my viewpoint it essentially comes down to whoever feats first falls behind and loses, pending other screw ups.

Die roll happens, I lose it and get to pick table side. I end up with the side with a hill in front of my objective, otherwise the left flag is slathered in rubble and there's an opposing couple terrain blobs. All these weird mini-oval terrain bits that I don't really care for, ended up with one of them as water and the others as rough terrain.

I do resent that a big part of the matchup process involves selecting tables, but that tables aren't pre-designated, would clean up the process a great deal and make it actually work. As far as I know there were no unfun moments from it, would just be nice. Quality of life and all that (Like how instances of but rubbing in games was down this year being an excellent improvement).

IPB Image
Round 1: Ossrum junk all advances up, reasonably spread out with the Artillery Corp on the left and Hernne/Jonne on the right.
Hernne does a super long range shot, courtesy of Artillerist re-rolls lands a blast on top of an Eliminator unit, killing one and injuring another. Well, balls, that's a bad start.
One of the arty units gets Fire for effect.

I push everything up as a central blob, with Ninja pig running to the left and Crocs to the right. This is an early error influenced by the irrelevant tiny patch of water terrain, the Pigs are on the side of the Arty which is decidedly unhealthy for them.
Gorten puts up a wall and Solid Ground, essentially I'm making a push for the hill hoping to stack it with the wall to make Ossrum want to feat. Yay optimism?

IPB Image
Ossrum 2: Dwarfs push up around the left flag, while the right has some Hammer Dorf dancing as they hang around it threatening the Ossrum feat charge to murder something I love.
The Rockrams move up as the front pieces, cause....you know.....Rockrams....
Gunners on the left and the artillery have no problems exploding Brine. Sadness.
A few other Gunner shots puts a light scratch on a Driller and about half the health of the Blaster that lacks wall protection.

IPB Image
Gorten 2: Nothings touching the flags, so no need to waste pieces contesting this turn. I do experience a brief moment of Ennui, the sad regret of Rhulic jacks having Sturdy giving me an overdue comeuppance of a headache.
The wall shifts forward, Gorten and jacks stutter forward. Aiyanna harms the right Rockram, it gets shot up a fair bit but alas, lives on. Cortex is out, so at least there's some kind of effect to its activation after Thor heals it up. More to the point, by eyeball it looks like Thor would need a feat movement boost to get to it before an activation, then it can come in and swing, so hopefully that'll be part of the motivating factor for Ossrum to feat next turn which I dearly want.
Aiyanna and one Eliminator are in visible position to potentially be attacked, which will trigger Acosta's Vengeance so he can get a charge on something big next round.
Rorsh optimistically runs up on the left, he's tough praying for Feign death now. Crocs hang back from Ossrum feated Hammer Dorfs pushing their faces in.

IPB Image
Ossrum 3:Left flank Gunner shots kill Rorsh. Alas poor piggy.
Cycling Fire for Effect Artillery shots ding some of the jacks, another Gunner creeps forward and explodes Aiyanna.
The healthy Rockram sits on the left flag, the damaged one falls back and gets repaired by Thor.
Unit of Hammerforge claim the right flag, most hang back and continue the threat dance on the crocs. Meanies.
A pair of Hammers come forward and finish off the damaged Blaster.

Ossrum goes to 2 CP.

IPB Image
Gorten 3: Well, this ain't good. I've thrown away a Lesser lock and am not threatening near enough. I'm going to have to feat and hope this grinds out hard enough for a win condition to emerge for me.

Acosta Vengeances forward to be behind my Driller.
Gorten and jacks pile on the hill, he throws up a wall to stop the healthy Rockram getting in on my damaged Driller, who gets slightly shined up by the Tinker.
Gorten destroys the damaged Rockram with a Molten Metal, as it had 6 boxes left. I feat on the front line of stuff, not getting the backhalf which against Martial Discipline casters is.....eugh.
Red Kayazy kills the forward two Hammers and contests the right flag, while the behind the wall Driller contests the left.
The crocs fall back to be the late game pieces hopefully, as do the Green Eliminators.
I put the wall down before Acosta could charge the Healthy Rockram and try to be a pain in the amoeba. Sad! He runs up and engages, he's Dodge lucked his way to casters before....

IPB Image
Ossrum 4: Drops featlike its hot, after the Bokur kills Acosta and Arty pings the Driller a bit more.
Rockram keeps on the left flag, a host of Hammer Dorfs come in, killing the left Driller and slamming the right one over my stuff, plus murdering the remaining blaster.
The contesting Eliminator dies to Herne and Jonne, who also take the right flag.
Ossrum stays at the back with Bullet Dodger on him behind a pair of Rhulic Bunnies.

Ossrum goes to 4 CP.

IPB Image
Gorten 4: Have to contest both flags and put things in the way of the objective. Only two of those? maybe. All three? Well, balls.

Eliminators go in and do some sweet anti Hammer dorf work, one sidesteps to contest the left flag. Driller hangs out in front of the objective. Gunners move up, one gets a pot shot at....I genuinely don't recall. There's a lot of Ossrum stuff out there.
The Crocs take the right, eating Hernne.
Gorten throws a shot and Molten Metals at the left Rockram, mucks him up but doesn't kill him.

Ossrum 5: It's a simple matter for Hammer Dorfs to pop a Gunner and a bunny to bulldoze the Eliminator away for the 5th CP on the left flag.

Sweet game, but a disappointing outing for me, too many points of sillyness on my end. My bad Piggie. Will have to pursue a future game of failure against PeB in the Timey Whimey land.
Most importantly: Rockrams still trash. Play other Rhulic Heavies.
tongue.gif

The team went down this round, we took equal 3rd with NZ Ghost (Playing a round to see who lost and came 4th versus starting the drive home wasn't super appealing), loads better than last years 2nd last placing. Drinking game was good first night, weak on everyone's behalf the second night.
Will hopefully get to go again, much as my 3-3 record wasn't inspiring (Lost a Green, otherwise it was a Green win and four yellow games).
+Quote Post
Master Chris
post Jun 2 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #420

So, Ossrum confirmed good but not necessarily fun?

5 Gunners feel like the right number against you?

--------------------
+Quote Post

35 Pages V « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 05:47 PM