Krefey
post Jan 29 2016, 07:01 PM
Post #101

Authoritarian Forum Dictator
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(Darth Eddie @ Jan 29 2016, 07:46 PM) *

What about changing an entry fee to all the visitors starting at a door price of $2.00 a day or $5.00 for a three day pass. Most Cons do this if now all apart from CANCON were the players pay for the event which everyone enjoys some for free. I think no one would mind paying $2.00 to look and shop for the day. The extra money can but put on prize support (which is next to nothing from the entry fee now) and help pay for an extra hall. So CGS there's an idea lets see if you act on it or just pay it off as normal.

I believe the issue there is that Joe Public (as in people who are not really gamers but are curious) will be turned off by an admission fee, which means fewer people having a look see. But I'm not 100% on that.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Darth Eddie
post Jan 29 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #102

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,840

QUOTE(Krefey @ Jan 29 2016, 07:01 PM) *

I believe the issue there is that Joe Public (as in people who are not really gamers but are curious) will be turned off by an admission fee, which means fewer people having a look see. But I'm not 100% on that.

That's a good point but why do the players have to pay $50 + for three days of fun. But others that visit to look, shop and enter painting comps do not pay a bean. That's not right in anyone's books.

--------------------
IF ONE OF MY POSTS UPSETS YOU, GET A TISSUE AND DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS.

ITS NOT POLITICS, ITS PAINTING.
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 29 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #103

Group Icon

QUOTE(Darth Eddie @ Jan 29 2016, 08:13 PM) *

That's a good point but why do the players have to pay $50 + for three days of fun. But others that visit to look, shop and enter painting comps do not pay a bean. That's not right in anyone's books.

There is a cost for entering the painting comp isn't there? Minimal, but there is one I thought. Also, have you gone to a con like supernova etc? They cost more than $50.

Look, it would be nice if it could be made cheaper or more space provided, but it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Darth Eddie
post Jan 29 2016, 11:23 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 8,840

QUOTE(Krefey @ Jan 29 2016, 08:26 PM) *

There is a cost for entering the painting comp isn't there? Minimal, but there is one I thought. Also, have you gone to a con like supernova etc? They cost more than $50.

Look, it would be nice if it could be made cheaper or more space provided, but it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is.

You part of the CGS committee?

--------------------
IF ONE OF MY POSTS UPSETS YOU, GET A TISSUE AND DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS.

ITS NOT POLITICS, ITS PAINTING.
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 30 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #105

Group Icon

QUOTE(Darth Eddie @ Jan 30 2016, 12:23 AM) *

You part of the CGS committee?

Nope.

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Speedhump
post Jan 30 2016, 12:49 PM
Post #106

Member No.: 4,532

Entry Fees: There are two main reasons we do not currently charge an entry fee to spectators.
1: It stops some people entering who would otherwise come in, and spend money at the trade stands (Making them happy, and more likely to sponsor events.)
2: We would need to employ guards for ALL the doors, or block off the building with fencing. (Have a look at the craft expos, they surround B and C with ATF wire fences, loosing half the carpark, and stopping people going outside to smoke or go off site for food. etc )

There are other reasons, such as staffing levels are too low and we would need lanyards for everyone (5,402 people on Saturday morning alone).

Prize pools: Krefey is right,. if your TO charged for prizes, you had a prize pool. Some events had sponsored loot for free, so they managed to keep the price lower this year.

Extra venue: Getting the next usable hall is Fitzroy. It will cost about 7 grand for the hire, about 1.5 grand for cleaning, 500 for power and probably an extra 2 grand deposit. Other expenses include tables etc. Best guess would be a required income of 15 to 20 grand for the hall would be needed.

If we get F pav, we need something to be in the park between the halls (eg, a reenactment group or games related displays.) I think we would also need some cheap, fun way to get people from hall to hall as fast as possible. (A little train like you see at fetes, gold coin donation to charity to save your feet.)

We would need events that want to be in the hall, we would need traders who would want to be there as well.

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR ANY OT THIS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME.
Send to cgsinc@tpg.com.au

PS: Krefey is not on the CGS committee or the Cancon committee, but not for want of us asking.
PPS: The CGS runs Cancon as a not for profit event. Any surplus is used to support the club, run Wintercon and pay the setup fees for the following Cancon. We do try to keep fees as low as possible, but every few years we have to look at the books and change things.

This post has been edited by Speedhump: Jan 30 2016, 12:51 PM

--------------------
Tim Sleigh

Organiser:
Cancon and Wintercon
www.cgs.asn.au

Currently trying to find time to play: 40K, Bolt Action, FoW, TY, KoW, BKC, X-Wing, FoG: AM, Memoir 44 and FoG:N

Unreal Estates
Wargames Scenery and Models
"If you want it, I can make it or try to paint it."
(Also now playing with my new 3D printer.)

Comments will be either as my role of Organiser of Cancon/Wintercon, or as a player of various games and maker of stuff. If any post I make does not make sense in one context, try the other.
+Quote Post
genghisbob
post Feb 9 2016, 06:58 AM
Post #107

Member No.: 12,774

i had a few minor issues.

as HnS seemed to be a focus this year.

the key one was health and safety. we had a visitor advise us of a lifted carpet tile in our game area as a trip hazard in a thoroughfare about 8:45 sat morning. i notified yellow shirts and they came to sort it out straight away, but they had no tape etc but masking tape. mid Sunday they had the tape to stick it down.
+Quote Post
Speedhump
post Feb 9 2016, 04:10 PM
Post #108

QUOTE(genghisbob @ Feb 9 2016, 07:58 AM) *

i had a few minor issues.

as HnS seemed to be a focus this year.

the key one was health and safety. we had a visitor advise us of a lifted carpet tile in our game area as a trip hazard in a thoroughfare about 8:45 sat morning. i notified yellow shirts and they came to sort it out straight away, but they had no tape etc but masking tape. mid Sunday they had the tape to stick it down.

On Saturday, we ran out of cloth tape early, so were required to use masking tape for lifting tiles.

Minions went out and got some more cloth tape Sunday and went through replacing the masking tape we had put down on Saturday.

We are not sure why so many tiles were lifting up this year. and will be mentioning it to EPIC in our post event review.

--------------------
Tim Sleigh

Organiser:
Cancon and Wintercon
www.cgs.asn.au

Currently trying to find time to play: 40K, Bolt Action, FoW, TY, KoW, BKC, X-Wing, FoG: AM, Memoir 44 and FoG:N

Unreal Estates

Comments will be either as my role of Organiser of Cancon/Wintercon, or as a player of various games and maker of stuff. If any post I make does not make sense in one context, try the other.
+Quote Post
Freelancer
post Jan 30 2018, 07:02 AM
Post #109

Member No.: 2,251

Did anyone else have significant stuff go missing from the Second Hand tables? While overall I was happy with how the process of selling 2nd hand items worked, it was soured at the end when the list was produced of unsold items, half of which were nowhere to be found on the tables. I accepted that small items may have been lost amongst other lots, but I had a box of 3 40k tanks measuring 40x25cm go missing. Either they were allowed to walk out the door by a brazen thief, or their sale was not properly recorded. A friend had a silmilar problem when he came to collect on the last day, so it was not a one off. Anyone else have issues?
+Quote Post
ĆON
post Jan 30 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #110

Edition Change Skeptic

Member No.: 222

I lost a few boxes of Epic IG stuff and Fantasy boxes.

That said, I was told that as the computer system went down on Friday afternoon, they had to resort to manual imports. It is possible that not all of them were updated into the system and they will be checking this week. I was told to expect an email by the end of the week.

As for Negative feedback; the only main one that I can think of was from at least Lunchtime on Sunday; the air conditioning in the Fitzroy Pavillion was off (noted by the heat and the lobby that had been cooled prior was not from at least lunch on Sunday.) Inside was sweltering; and the lobby was no respite. 32 degrees outside was alot cooler than inside.

This post has been edited by ĆON: Jan 30 2018, 02:07 PM

--------------------

"Hail ĆON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am a scrub :)

WHFB 8.5 Community FaceBook Group

40K Chapter Unapproved FaceBook Group
+Quote Post
GmanOz
post Jan 30 2018, 05:19 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 4,028

Fitzroy was godawful, aircon was non existant.

I had same issue with secondhand items, was advised they will be sending me cash when they update the systems with the handwritten sales records.

Hopefully.
+Quote Post
Freelancer
post Jan 30 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #112

Member No.: 2,251

Ok, that's interesting. They didn't mention the computer system problem to me. I sent an email to their 2nd hand stall email address to find out if there were any updates but no reply yet. I didn't notice any hand written sales records being made when I bought stuff from the stall.
+Quote Post
Nukacola Sunset
post Jan 31 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #113

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,758

* Charging for the Bring & Buy as a priority access is an absolute disgrace - its anti competitive for the few retailers still bothered to attend, and priority access to a second hand stall smacks of elitism. This turned me off even bothering to sell anything at the bring & buy or attend as a potential customer.

If money is such an issue, as its previously been mentioned before, an entrance fee for access to the entire event, ($2-$5 or so) would be a great idea if you need to boost $$$ - works very well for model railway societies.

* Scheduling for the main hall was a joke - day three and one third of the space totally empty - come on guys, surely you know which events run for three days, and which for two?

* Please separate the cheese game systems from the more friendly/non competitive events; i.e. put them in different halls. That would be a dream come true
+Quote Post
Oceanborn
post Feb 1 2018, 09:44 AM
Post #114

Member No.: 266

I think that the priority access charge was entirely the MOAB team who was running it's decision, not CGS. I can understand the logic behind it, but agree that it was unnecessary (added to the fact that when I looked through the b&b section there were some items where the seller wanted more than it could be purchased for new down in the main hall...and that was at full RRP).

Not sure about scheduling, but I know from experience in scheduling other things that it is a massive logistical nightmare - and in the case of Cancon there are 2 day events across both Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday, as well as three day and one day events. I would guess that things were set up so that they tried to get the space being used most efficiently (maybe more one day events should be encouraged to fill in the gaps. Also I don't know that they have as much control over shutting down ticket sales as they would like, as ideally the solution would be to shut down each day as it fills up, allowing for one-day events to fill up better.

I think the ticketing system does need some improvements, it was better than previous years, but it has been improving overall.

The only things I thought was not ideal which was in (partial) CGS control was that our game was running Saturday/Sunday, and we had to spend over an hour on the Friday night moving tables etc., as other games had pinched the tables flagged for us.

--------------------
"Heavy Metal
-what was considered by parents to be non-musical and dangerous before rap came along
."
There's nothing cuter than baby's first thumbscrews
Area of Melbourne equating to the devastation in Hiroshima
+Quote Post
firelupus
post Feb 3 2018, 05:19 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 202

The AC in the Fitzroy was rubbish, but then again it always seems to struggle regardless of where I play.

Maybe put some large fans around the place, like the CGS used where they were sitting to help circulate the air a bit.

Otherwise, just another Cancon.

--------------------
Perception, It is what tells me my hobby should fit into one room, and if i want to finish painting an army, only have the figures for one army.

Stay tuned to the one room sales.
2014 Wood elves 8/0/11
2015 Wood elves 4/0/4
2015 Vampires 1/0/1
2017 Marines 8/1/17
2017 Eldar 7/0/4
2018 Eldar 7/1/2
Placed 15th at 40K ITC Cancon 2018.
http://necrarch.blogspot.com.au My warhammer blog.
+Quote Post
thatirwinfella
post Feb 9 2018, 12:40 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 482

There wasn't anywhere to get a drink in the fitzroy pavilion on the friday, but I did notice the water with the yellow shirts near the entrance on the saturday, so well done on responding to that.

Considering the number of people playing in timed events in the fitzroy pavilion, there wasn't sufficient facilities to cope with breaks between rounds. Maybe hire some portables for out the front for next year.

Leaving on friday arvo, the tables for the food trucks were setup in the middle of the lane for the car parking.

--------------------
Winner of the worst dice award, Rumble in the Bronx 2010
...And convic 2010. Man, I suck at this game.

Backed up with the golden jackalope at twatifaux 2013. Can anyone suggest a new hobby?

<Sigh> ...and Rumble in the Bronx 2013.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
twelve people may make the same decision, but that doesn't mean it is correct.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+Quote Post
Dhampir
post Feb 13 2018, 09:23 AM
Post #117

Member No.: 16,079

As a TO in the Fitzroy pavilion it felt a bit removed from the main Cancon event. A few players were unsure where Fitzroy pavilion was located and there was no signage to point them in the correct location. From conversations with the general public many people attending Cancon were not aware that there was a new pavilion added to the line-up (more signage please). I think the feeling of 'isolation' wasn't helped as we didn't get the normal foot traffic of cosplayers and spectators that makes the tournaments have a big convention feel.

I do think the addition of Fitzroy was a good thing as there was plenty of extra space for players, but it needs to be included more.

Overall, a great event.

--------------------
Malifaux: Henchman for Canberra
Malifaux Canberra
Malifaux Canberra FB group
+Quote Post
Speedhump
post Mar 13 2018, 02:41 PM
Post #118

(Finally remembered my password.)

Fans in F. A good idea. We will try to remember to get a few additional ones to help move the air round next year.

Drinks in F: The Canteen provider decided he did not want to run in F. we had no choice or say in the matter. After a bit of discussion though, we got EPIC to get food vans to set up nearby. Unfortunately, all bar the pastry van, read the map wrong and set up half way between the halls. This will be changed for next year, where there will be a food van food court near the main entrance to F.

Signs: We had maps at the Yellow Shirt desks in each hall and the front desk.

Next year we will have an area map showing the halls in use. (Did not think of it in time for this year.) These maps will be everywhere.

--------------------
Tim Sleigh

Organiser:
Cancon and Wintercon
www.cgs.asn.au

Unreal Estates

+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2018 - 06:11 PM