> Elves MSU - Battle Reports, Edge of the Abyss - Scenario 3 - Undead
ken-in-yorks
post Sep 8 2017, 07:20 AM
Post #281

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 11,532

QUOTE(Swordmaster @ Sep 7 2017, 10:18 PM) *

Many thanks to Ken "Chaaarge" for a fantastic game! armata_PDT_37.gif

First off, thanks for the kind words Pawel, really appreciate that, whilst Iím a very competitive player, I think itís equally important to be socialable too, wargaming is after all, to me, a social hobby, and is all about the fun. It was good to meet the author of so many great reports, and you lived up to your reputation, a great guy! I really enjoyed our game, it was full of drama, and kept tipping either way, exactly how I like games to be.

I was very happy with the result, I should have lost that game Turn 4 or 5, but those Wyrm Riders had divine intervention on their side, double 1 on Turn 5 was critical. Iím a big fan of Double 1, mainly because of the thematic it brings to the game, which your report is so eloquent at expressing, the heroic last stand, love it! And what was even better, was Karma strikes back, and the last roll of the game, I return the double 1, and your Sea Guard defy the Monsters getting into the central zone, itís what stories and movies are made of, brilliant.

It was interesting using Fishies in a competitive setting, only ever play tested against them. I thank Tas for lending me his superbly painted miniatures, they were a joy to use, and they did dictate the list. I used the infantry horde as Placoderms, because, put that unit in a forest, and they arenít going anywhere all game, I know from playtesting, it took 3 mtd son regts, king on chimera, and herja, 2 rounds to shift them, thatís almost my entire army to get rid of 1 unit. So, that zone was always safe

The fishies will suffer against shooting, so got to get into combat fast, the depth horrors stumbling around on the flank testified to that, slaughtered a troop, then became pin cushions, certainly didnít earn their points. The water elementals were jinxed, no idea why, maybe as the only unpainted unit, but they were receiving some super bad karma on their charge, and quite rightly suffered for it. The king floundered around on the flank, he had some good results with his breath attack, but in combat, karma struck, and he struggled to take down a lone brave standard bearer, thus keeping him from causing mischief

I made the decision to use the Wyrm Riders and centurion as a distraction, an expensive points distraction, the idea being sit them at the back, and let all your cavalry and drakons come at me, I was happy to burn up 3 or 4 turns keeping that lot busy positioning and what not, plus, they sat as thorn in the central zone. As it turns out, divine intervention meant they were there all game, that was a huge surprise

Without doubt, imo, the kraken and giant were the stars for the fishies, the plan all along was an all-out attack in the centre using brute force, where the Water Elementals let me down badly, the monsters excelled, they were brilliant. I wasnít too worried about flanks, the wyrm riders posed enough of a threat/distraction to keep your cavalry busy one side, and the other side, the king and depth horrors were an equally good distraction. So, in my typical fashion, no tactics what so ever, the monsters and elementals were meant to charge-delete-reposition-repeat, kind of went to plan, I like simple plans

As said above, the game had lots of drama and was encapsulating, was so much fun to play, bring on more games like that. I donít think your positioning was too bad, you were going for a plan, and some very unexpected occurrences on both sides, did mean units were out of position. My main thought would be, you were too slow and cautious on your right flank, all those cavalry and drakons had the space, speed and time to overwhelm the wyrm riders, and I think you were maybe too hesitant. Saying that, with their luck that day, who knows

Any way Pawel, it was a brilliant game, you were a great opponent, loved the write up (theyíre all good), and I look forward to meeting up with you again, would be great to spend some time chatting (apologies, had to rush off to catch a plane). And, I hope to have another game with you, and see how my mounted Varangur can deal with your MSU Elves armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Sep 8 2017, 06:14 PM
Post #282

Member No.: 12,525

Hi Ken!

Thank you so much for taking time and writing about the game from your own perspective. I am sure the readers appreciate it too! It is always great to have both players to add some remarks and you provided a very detailed account on our battle. armata_PDT_37.gif

While dice can always be fickle and twist the fate of any encounter I think this game also shows your skill as a player. It is not easy to get an army that you do not play regularly with and do so well with it. And while I agree I was too hesitant on the right flank, you used it perfectly to your advantage and realized your battle plan. I really admire that and it was great to be able to learn from you first hand!

I wonder if you would do anything different that game, with full benefit of hindsight of course! After all a single decision can lead to a completely different outcome.

I am also happy I could write about out battle and show that competitive and sporty behavior are not mutually exclusive. I will do my best to follow your example. smile.gif

I hope we will have an opportunity to play again, I plan to attend Clash of Kings again and I better get back to painting as it is just a few months away! biggrin.gif

Cheers!
+Quote Post
ken-in-yorks
post Sep 8 2017, 07:36 PM
Post #283

Member No.: 11,532

Pawel, I will look forward to CoKAu, you should also try and get along to Castle Assault with the Fairy Matt 😁, and it's looking likely you'll be at Masters too, well played sir 👍

With hindsight, in all honesty I don't think I would have done anything differently, I do keep wondering about the amount of points tied up on my right with king and horrors, however, there was no way I could risk the horrors in the centre, they would have been next to useless and been shot off even earlier, and maybe the king in the centre, but to be fair, his breath proved invaluable on the flank.

If the water elementals hadn't decided to be completely ineffectual, and stuck to the plan, they should have caused you more pain, as it was, you deleted them with ease, reformed your line, and brushed the dust off, that was unexpected.

I tend to look at the terrain and scenario, decide on a plan, and stick to it, one thing I try not to do, is be influenced by an opponents deployment, hence I deploy relatively fast, as not to be distracted. I've found it really screws things up if I react to setup lol

--------------------
"Strategy is the art of making use of time and space. I am less concerned about the latter than the former. Space we can recover, lost time, never"
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Sep 8 2017, 09:19 PM
Post #284

Hi Ken!

Thanks for more comments!

Sticking to the plan and not getting distracted is definitely a very good approach, no matter what! It also saves time and I must admit with different philosophy I play the game it is often a risk for me. I do understand that advantage though and I am not surprised you stuck to it. After all, in our game the dice had some interesting impact so the situation could have changed dramatically if any of the moments we have already discussed went a bit different.

As to the tournaments and calendar I am afraid I will not be able to make it to Castle Assault. It would be great honor to qualify to Masters but I will wait for the official result first smile.gif I am already very happy with my achievements this year, didn't even think about Masters until the last event.

Whenever we have a chance to play again I expect that you are going to be much more aggressive with your all mounted Varangur army armata_PDT_36.gif

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Sep 8 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #285

Hello!

Here is a short summary of the most recent tournament, The Valley of Kings 3.1 I have recently attended.

https://swordmasterofhoeth.blogspot.com.au/...y-20170908.html

Cheers!
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Sep 10 2017, 05:35 PM
Post #286

Hello,

Here is the report from the first game in the frame of Edge of the Abyss campaign. Scenario 1:

Game 56 - Twilight Kin - 2017/09/10

Many thanks to Mark for a fantastic game! armata_PDT_37.gif
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Sep 12 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #287

Hello!

Here is the link to the report from game 2 of Edge of the Abyss campaign against Orcs:

Game 57 - Orcs - 2017/09/12

Many thanks to Tas for a great game! armata_PDT_37.gif
+Quote Post
marius
post Sep 13 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #288

Member No.: 169

great stuff
+Quote Post
Swordmaster
post Sep 15 2017, 11:12 PM
Post #289

Hello!

Here is the link to the 3rd game of Edge of the Abyss campaign:

Game 58 - Undead - 2017/09/15

Many thanks to Chris for a great game and congratulations for a well deserved victory! armata_PDT_37.gif

Cheers!
+Quote Post

15 Pages V « < 13 14 15
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 08:39 AM