> GOSFORD SHIELD 2013, Saturday 12th January 2013 - 1250pts Warhammer 40,000
jasonc
post Jan 16 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #61

Inquisitor Aristaeus

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,140

If I could recommend one thing,

It is unusual to have the battle points available to be won based on the inbuilt victory points in the game, as opposed to an arbitrary system for determining a 'winner' of a round. As far as the tournament overall was concerned, winning a game didn't actually mean anything - all that mattered was the amount of points you could generate.

You might beat your opponent 5-0 (one objective and two secondaries to nothing) but be awarded the same points as the guy who lost next to you, whose game went 5-10. Or you might go 7, 7, 7 and 7, winning everything (particularly as theoretically points become harder to claim as games go on), and ultimately lose against the guy who went 0, 0, 15, 10 (who went the the bottom of the rung, and sprung up).

Firstly, it does add a kind of character to the tournament - with all my games, I didn't even really think about 'winning' as much as getting as many points as possible, win or lose. So in my game plan I didn't worry so much if my opponent was going to beat me per se. And I knew that with some whacky turn of events someone could jump past, particularly with comp + paint being 40%. So if that's what you are going for, no worries and it had an effect.

Typically tournaments run major/minor/draw/minor loss/major loss, or even win/draw/loss for that reason though. It can be really difficult to compare one game from another, even where the scores are 6-2 vs 10-8.

I noticed Jack for example actually won 2 games, and drew the other 2, but ended up with the lowest battle (as he was trying to 'win' the mission rather than score points).

Again if that's what you're going for, no problem at all, just thought I'd point out.

This post has been edited by jasonc: Jan 16 2013, 12:09 AM

--------------------
Aus ETC Vice Captain
NSW ATC Captain
Sydney Hammer House Captain
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Night Reaper
post Jan 16 2013, 12:51 AM
Post #62

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,945

Thanks Damien for organising the tournament, it all ran very smoothly and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. Also, well done with the prize pool armata_PDT_34.gif it was a great idea to include all the new Dark Angel releases as prizes and they were all highly coveted by a number of players. Hopefully Gosford Shield will be on next year, for another fun day of gaming smile.gif

QUOTE(JoshuaWills @ Jan 15 2013, 07:56 PM) *

Second match was against Jack. (Blood Ravens using GK codex). Sportsmanship award for this bloke. We thought we were out of time in our game with him 2-0 on objectives so we shook on it. Anthony came and told us we still had 15mins to go and Jack agreed to play out the last round even though it was very likely I'd pull a draw out of it (which I ended up doing). Hope to play you again Jack this was the closest game I've had in a long time.

Glad you enjoyed it smile.gif It certainly was a fun game, one of the best I've had in years. Hopefully we'll get to play each other again sometime in the future, and we can have another fun game biggrin.gif

Regards
Night Reaper

--------------------
A forum for the sons of the Night Haunter and true members of the VIII Legion:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/Nightlords/index.php?act=idx
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 07:30 PM