Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Terrain] Vissy's: Making Terrain on Budget, And still please the minister of finance!
VisOne
post Oct 7 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #21

Combat Simian

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,758

QUOTE(Lextheimpaler @ Oct 7 2016, 03:38 PM) *

This is outstanding

Appreciate the kind words mate especially coming from you.

I've got to remember to start documenting my procedures again I want to put a good tutorial up on using Ghost Tints/Candy Colours through an airbrush next.

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Onyx
post Oct 22 2016, 11:13 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 3,787

Great work.
Keep it up mate!

Great work.
Keep it up mate!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Oct 23 2016, 01:38 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 446

When i am doing rocky out crops I use a butane burner to "seal" the outside layer of the polystyrene (toughens it a bit) and then I broad brush in 50/50 PVA+water and roll on cheap toilet paper (it maches better than nice toilet paper).
then Dab on more 50/50 PVA/water till paper is *stuck on good* TM
then dab on a few second layer bits to cover up any rips/holes. let dry paint and dry brush.

Comes up a treat and is really quite tough and rocky looking.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Blackhearts Reaver: Oct 23 2016, 01:42 AM

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Nov 13 2016, 04:39 PM
Post #24

Combat Simian

VisOne's: Wastes his time and leaves plastic shavings on the floor – Best way to please the house drangon is to clean up after you cut things inside.

Build Time – 1
Cost – 1
Skill – 1
Equipment – 1
Painting – 1

This is a easy build, cheap and great for you moderns or post apocalyptic games thats for sure.

So in classic Vissy form I brought something for the house. Which I should have known full well would not ######ing Work since my house is a billion years old and kinda what's that word?

Oh yeah sinking!

So instead of using this draft stopper on my door I give you folk's a cheap way to make sweet little Jersey Barriers. While they are not as good as my resin ones you will get about 10 times more terrain for the same cost. So enjoy!!!

IPB Image

All your day to day objects are belong to us! We shall assimilate it and make it into terrain!

IPB Image

The original packaging of the product and what it looks like out of the box.

IPB Image

So lets remove the back rubber stripping and the double sided tape can go to.

Cut it into what ever length you want these are 8" which is especially long compared to the ones you see IRL. To cut it I used my jewelers saw fine teeth to cut plastic works very well.

IPB Image

Glue them together with some PVA or builders adhesive and gap fill if you want? Once its set maybe clean up the edges a bit and you can base if you want. Mine didn't need it as there long and heavy enough at 8" so I left them as is. Then Weather/damage and finally a coat of spray enamel primer and your good to go with a little grey paint me thinks. wink.gif

IPB Image

So paint sticks to them that's always nice too.

A mix of Vallejo Primers and Minitaire Grey's to get that finished product.

Hope you found this useful.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Nov 13 2016, 11:42 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
VisOne
post May 15 2017, 01:26 PM
Post #25

Combat Simian

VisOne's: Wipes his feet all over your table.

Build Time1
Cost1
Skill1
Equipment1
Painting1

So recently I ran a tournament and I just need a touch extra scatter terrain to ensure I got some long lanes of fire blocked off. I had brought a cheap mat to use as 'crops' for a Bolt Action table but I always seen then cut up a touch waked on the board and people just go "THIS IS CROPS! ITS LIGHT COVER!!!!" Which is fine but also kind of poopy anyway I have this mat I have some old Film Canisters that I have used to make planters for a city table before 15 mins later this tutorial is born.

IPB Image

Ingredients,

1 door mat cheap with a rubber backing is all you ned.

Some sort of container to use as the planter in this case they are old Kodak Film cainster containers.

Something to fill the void/negative space if your container is deep I used instaltion foam.

Some basic measuring and cutting tools.

IPB Image

Clean up your container (I had to cut out a middle divider here) and prime with a good enamel based rattle can primer.

IPB Image

Fill the void/negative space leaving just enough room for your door mat to be slightly hidden by the rim of the container.

IPB Image

Cut your mat to fit snugly in the remaining space.

At this point if your dry run went well seal it all in place and give it a good wash of PVA/Wood glue and water OR just seal with a good varnish.

IPB Image

Here is one of my older finished ones which had a mix of GW Hedgerows and some other random scale model brushes in them next to this new one.

IPB Image

Quick shot of the "film containers" I used and you can see the thick rubber backing which hold the door mat together.

So that is it a quick cheap way to make some scatter terrain. I later added some ground flock over the top of the mat and weathered the planters with some airbrushing and dry brushing but these again take no time and its cheap!

This post has been edited by VisOne: May 15 2017, 01:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2019 - 10:28 PM