4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [AOS] Dwarves
Morgrim
post Jan 6 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #21

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,692

agree with Mango....I was looking forward to these but those helmets IMHO ######e...axes etc are cool....probably cost about $200 for one of the dragon dudes the way prices are

--------------------
Cheers

Morgrim
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rogal_dorn
post Jan 6 2016, 05:45 PM
Post #22

Discombobulate's 2IC

Member No.: 66

They're not dragons, they're more like firedrakes or wyrms. No wings.

--------------------
+Quote Post
The Nothas
post Jan 6 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 80

So the entire dwarven race has taken the slayer oath to die gloriously in battle to reclaim their honour/atone for some slight, not take a grudge and armour up?

Does the last dwarf to die get to go "HUMPH, well, that's sorted that all out then" - dies.

--------------------
Using d4s gives you an auto victory. Chaos marnies of snuggle pose gloistering when snipped with terminator forceps and ass williams are even hornier.
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Jan 6 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 7,286

What is it with GW and ridiculously huge tongues on things?

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Vargulf
post Jan 7 2016, 09:28 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 9,389

QUOTE(waargh @ Jan 6 2016, 03:56 PM) *

Honestly, you could redo virtually any other army wildly except Dwarves and I wouldn't care but there are some limits.

why?

Dwarves have always been touted as the staid traditionalists in GW lore. It took centuries for new ideas to be even looked at without derision and scorn. It was always played up in the fluff and army books.

A lot of Dwarf players really enjoyed that and played it up in how they collected, painted and played their armies. Throwing out the window really means these aren't GW Dwarves. They are some other army that look like party armoured slayers.

I can see a lot of people who enjoy shiny new models jumping on these and I can see most traditional Dwarf players walking away (assuming there are any left).

Not meaning to be overly critical or harsh. The models have some cool aspects to them and some of them look quite impressive but I would never look at them and associate them with the GW Dwarf models I spent many, many years collecting. To me they are simply some new race that look a bit like Dwarves.
+Quote Post
Rathnard
post Jan 7 2016, 11:02 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 176

QUOTE(Vargulf @ Jan 7 2016, 07:28 AM) *

Dwarves have always been touted as the staid traditionalists in GW lore. It took centuries for new ideas to be even looked at without derision and scorn. It was always played up in the fluff and army books.

A lot of Dwarf players really enjoyed that and played it up in how they collected, painted and played their armies. Throwing out the window really means these aren't GW Dwarves. They are some other army that look like party armoured slayers.

GW threw out the old Dwarf background when they literally blew up the Old World. While it's an unwelcome change among the old Dwarf players, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that they're so different.

I don't like the models myself. It's partly because they do indeed look like angry naked babies, although I'll admit I've rarely been that fond of the dwarf aesthetic anyway so I guess it was unlikely that I'd appreciate them in the first place.

--------------------
Brisbane Malifaux at Ace Comics every Wednesday!

Official Henchman for Wyrd Minatures. Interested in starting? Looking for opponents? Just PM me!
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Jan 7 2016, 11:03 AM
Post #27

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 4,233

QUOTE(Vargulf @ Jan 7 2016, 09:28 AM) *

I can see a lot of people who enjoy shiny new models jumping on these and I can see most traditional Dwarf players walking away (assuming there are any left).

Not meaning to be overly critical or harsh. The models have some cool aspects to them and some of them look quite impressive but I would never look at them and associate them with the GW Dwarf models I spent many, many years collecting. To me they are simply some new race that look a bit like Dwarves.

I'm with you dude.
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 7 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #28

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

In the context of the game they're being released for, aren't they meant to be breaking with traditions?

The Steamhead Duardin are the "Dwarf player's dwarfs" - staunchly loyal traditionalists, armoured up and fighting the way Dwarfs have since before mankind appeared.

If these guys are the Red Slayers, they're not following the old ways though. They're corrupted by their lust for Ur-gold relics from the Old World, and mercenary enough to fight against old allies (or alongside old enemies) if the price is right.

--------------------
[WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
+Quote Post
Krefey
post Jan 7 2016, 11:42 AM
Post #29

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

QUOTE(morsla @ Jan 7 2016, 12:39 PM) *

In the context of the game they're being released for, aren't they meant to be breaking with traditions?

The Steamhead Duardin are the "Dwarf player's dwarfs" - staunchly loyal traditionalists, armoured up and fighting the way Dwarfs have since before mankind appeared.

If these guys are the Red Slayers, they're not following the old ways though. They're corrupted by their lust for Ur-gold relics from the Old World, and mercenary enough to fight against old allies (or alongside old enemies) if the price is right.

Geez Ben. Don't bring facts and updated fluff into a good rant about how GW killed Fantasy.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
waargh
post Jan 7 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #30

Ruining the hobby

Member No.: 633

QUOTE(Starfire @ Jan 6 2016, 08:02 PM) *

What is it with GW and ridiculously huge tongues on things?

once you see it everything be like

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Raab
post Jan 7 2016, 01:27 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 3,904

Idea 8/10.
Execution 3/10.

The helms don't suit the aesthetic of the figure at all and the poses are awful.

The naked babies description seems fairly apt actually.
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jan 7 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #32

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Member No.: 218

Pfft.

Those helmets are great

IPB Image

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. - T Pratchett

QUOTE(WitchFinderGeneral @ Jul 2 2017, 05:43 PM) *

Being a little bitch is in my genes apparently.
+Quote Post
Vargulf
post Jan 7 2016, 07:17 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 9,389

QUOTE(morsla @ Jan 7 2016, 11:39 AM) *

I confess that I am not really fully up to date with the new fluff. The change in direction really pushed me away. These are the first new Dwarf models I have seen for a while so I assumed it was where they were directing the race and hence my comments. I wasn't really trying to rant armata_PDT_01.gif . You have to remember that Dwarves have never really been a popular FOTM army through to the army book release in 8th ed (not sure what happened then as I wasn't playing in tournaments much by that point). They didn't get an army book for around 8 years. The only people who played Dwarves were those who were strongly attracted to the background fluff and models of the army. Changing it radically seemed a really strange choice.

If these are intended as a separate mercenary style Dwarf unit force then that could indeed sell to people and is not that strange an idea if they still have the more traditional style Dwarves around.

All that being said, there are some cool elements to the new models. I do like the helmets. Some of the poses are strange though and I really miss the days when GW did cool looking monsters. The recent ones seem far too cluttered with unnecessary detail and proportions of them just look off when you look past the detail (though that is very much a personal taste thing).
+Quote Post
6d6
post Jan 7 2016, 09:11 PM
Post #34

Boat Person

Member No.: 9,393

Cool Mardi gra outfits. Would make a great conga line unit.

--------------------
Ranked 345th in Australia for Warhammer! Yeah BABEH!
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Jan 7 2016, 09:16 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 7,286

About the only differences I can see between these guys and the last lot of slayers is that these guys have helmets and the last lot were wearing pants.

They've always looked like underdressed babies.

This post has been edited by Starfire: Jan 7 2016, 09:17 PM

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 7 2016, 09:35 PM
Post #36

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

The more I look at them, the more I like them. I've given AoS some more thought lately and am pretty keen to try it some more. It's nothing like WFB and I'm ok with that. It's true fantasy, with an aesthetic more like WOW, compared to the very 'realistic' histori-fantasy of WFB.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
Dragonrider
post Jan 8 2016, 09:26 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 124

Won't be seeing a lot of these new Fyreslayers regardless on Oz tables - check the pricing!

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Baneful
post Jan 8 2016, 10:19 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 369

$100 for 10!!!

Just as well I am not a fan - I prefer my normal dwarfs traditional! or slaving every race under the ash cloud.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Mousemuffins
post Jan 8 2016, 10:46 AM
Post #39

Braaaaaiiinnnnss

Member No.: 2,278

Hmm. wow. GW is expensive. Who'd a thunk?

Can we just move on?
+Quote Post
Maxo_Q
post Jan 8 2016, 01:13 PM
Post #40

Social Vampire
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,233

IPB Image

I like this piece of artwork but I feel like it didn't translate well into the models.

IPB Image

This guy I'm pretty keen on. Will make a nice addition depending on his scale.

Good detail shots here.
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Maxo_Q: Jan 8 2016, 01:14 PM
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2017 - 03:08 PM