Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> (WFB) Lizardmen, Another painting diary to help motivate me...
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,755

IPB Image

While taking some photos of other miniatures today I decided to also get a few shots of my Lizardman Army. This was a project that was started about a year or so ago and while I made some fairly good progress, but unfortunately some other army/game grabbed my attention and the lizards got put on hold. So here's a painting diary to keep my motivated to get the army done, please be patient as no doubt I'll be distracted by something else before this gets finished.

I was always drawn to making a Lizardman army but the main thing holding me back was the models themselves. While they definitely looked like 'Lizard-Men', the upright and static poses on the Saurus made them look more comical than ferocious and the GW studio bright colour scheme (to me) didn't really help things. I wanted my army to look more savage and brutal on the battlefield, it had to look like it meant business.

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #2

SKINKS

First task was to try my hand at painting some Skinks. I had decided that my army was going to focus more on block of Saurus, so if I stuffed these guys up then it wouldn't matter too much.

IPB Image

I went with a grey colour scheme and tried to break this up from being too boring by the addition of tattoos and leftover feathers from the Skink sprue. I added a skull helmet to the Skink Chief by cutting it away from a spare Temple Guard head.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #3

SKINK PRIEST ON ENGINE OF THE GODS

IPB Image

Next was the Skink Priest riding an Ancient Stegadon with the Engine of the Gods, as the model was too good to resist not painting.

IPB Image

Seeing the Skink Priest would have come from a different spawning (maybe..?) and possessed powers that the other Skinks did not, I decided on painting him in a scheme slightly different to the others. His colour was more muted while the tattoos were a blue/purple mix.

IPB Image

I was planning on adding another Stegadon the army at some point, so I painted the Ancient in a more muted and pale green to try to represent the age of the dinosaur. I'm still debating after all this time whether or not to tattoo the Steg up...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:35 PM
Post #4

SAURUS

IPB Image

I decided to run with a tan/brown colour scheme for the Saurus with a strip of grey/dark brown running down their back and a the original colour mixed with pink on the chest. I continued with adding feathers taken from the original banners in the sprue and red tattoos to add some colour and prevent them from looking too boring.

IPB Image

I used a Temple Guard for the Chieftain to make him stand out from the rest of the rank and file. The banner was put together using spare bits from the Temple Guard unit and the odd shrunken head left over from other kits (Stegadon?).

IPB Image

To try and deal with the static pose that the Saurus come with, I tried to model a couple with a bit of a stoop, a few were modelled carrying/swinging a double handed weapon, while others just had their arms and hands remodelled. I think this helped and has given the unit more of an undisciplined look.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #5

SAURUS WITH SPEARS

IPB Image

I tried to model the Saurus with spears to represent some sort of undisciplined attempt at forming a phalanx... if the makes any sense. I wanted the front rank protected behind their shields with their spears poking through, and the ranks behind to look like they were trying to keep order, but were too eager to get to their foe.

IPB Image

The second rank has two Saurus modelled to be using their spears with both hands.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:48 PM
Post #6

SAURUS SCAR VETERAN

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Scar Veteran was made using the torso from Kroq-Gar, the legs from an old metal Temple Guard. The painting scheme just followed the same method as the normal Saurus as I wanted it to look like he 'belonged' to the unit.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 6 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #7

TO DO LIST
  • Finish painting my Slann Mage-Priest
  • Finish painting my unit of Temple Guard
  • Another unit of Saurus
  • Unit of Skinks with Blowpipes
  • Kroxigor
  • Salamanders
  • Baby Stegadon
  • Skink Chief on Ancient Stegdon

...and do I add a unit of Chocobo Riders?

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lachy
post Aug 6 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 485

I love your colour selections on these guys. Your painting is magnificent - without a doubt the best looking Lizardmen army I've ever seen.

--------------------
Your Honour, the prosecution seeks to make it a condition of the accused's bail that he bathe regularly...
+Quote Post
gumbi
post Aug 6 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 41

Really looking nice mate - what have you done for the cold one ?
+Quote Post
Phreshwing
post Aug 6 2012, 11:40 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Group: Support: Veteran Merchant
Member No.: 3,714

Awesome lizards, love them!

--------------------
Phreshwing 2175points SpaceHulk Themed Deathwing
Quest For Warhammer Quest - Warhammer Quest Game and Expansions Restoration Project
Phreshwing Learns To Paint Marines Painting Journal
+Quote Post
deadmuppet
post Aug 7 2012, 10:00 AM
Post #11

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 9,334

The colors on the stegadon look boss mate. good stuff

--------------------
Above the tabletop, commission based painting service based in Adelaide SA.

www.abovethetabletop.com
+Quote Post
w00f135
post Aug 7 2012, 01:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,474

Really impressive stuff. How many hours did it take you to get to this point with your guys ?

--------------------
.- / -- .- -. / .. ... / -. --- - / -.. . .- -.. / .-- .... .. .-.. . / .... .. ... / -. .- -- . / .. ... / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / ... .--. --- -.- . -. .-.-.-
[BB: Skaven][Malifaux: Neverborn & Gremlins][Infinity: Tohaa ][Boardgamin': Gloomhaven / Massive Darkness]
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 7 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Lachy @ Aug 6 2012, 08:52 PM) *

I love your colour selections on these guys. Your painting is magnificent - without a doubt the best looking Lizardmen army I've ever seen.

Wow. Big call, but thanks!

QUOTE(gumbi @ Aug 6 2012, 10:48 PM) *

Really looking nice mate - what have you done for the cold one ?

Cheers! The Cold One had it's original tail shortened, then I added feathers from assorted Empire State Troops the odd smaller one from the totem/banners that come in the Saurus box (honeslty those feather from the Saurus box can add so much to an army). The beak for the Cold One was made by cutting away a fair amount from the head and taking the snout from an old Elven steed (the one that the Dark Riders still come with) which had then been shaped.

There's possibly an easier ways to achieve this, but that's how I did it.

I'm debating about removing the front arms and modelling up tiny wings, but the arms give it this freakish look that I am pretty fond of.

QUOTE(w00f135 @ Aug 7 2012, 12:59 PM) *

Really impressive stuff. How many hours did it take you to get to this point with your guys ?

Not sure to be completely honest. It was a good couple of months off and on, but that's also including a unit of Temple Guard and a Slann that are nearly completed as well. There were times that I needed a break and walked away from it, and then returned to get through a fair bit.

I start out with a single test model for each unit so that I have a clear idea of where I am going and how it was achieved. Then I'll paint the models in batches of 5-10 (the right music and painting sessions with mates keep this from being a chore) and can knock them out pretty quick.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Aug 7 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,481

Awesome job!

What colours are you using to get that light brown to dark brown transition on the Saurus skin?

Olaf the Stout
+Quote Post
Void
post Aug 7 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,666

Beautiful models, beautiful poses on the Saurus as well. When doing the saurus spearmen, did you have to much chopping and changing with the arms, or was it fairly easy to get them into the poses you have them in?
+Quote Post
BUCKET
post Aug 7 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 639

Looking really good, keen to see more pics as they go up.

--------------------
An active member of the INFERNAL MUPPETS Wargaming Club
+Quote Post
PlasmaDavid
post Aug 8 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,443

.... excuse me while I go an get my Lizardmen army. And set fire to it. And throw it off a bridge.

You're incredible and I HATE YOU.

--------------------
Send in more planes!
The following people are awesome - Rocktagon
+Quote Post
Din
post Aug 8 2012, 10:19 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Aug 7 2012, 02:24 PM) *

Awesome job!

What colours are you using to get that light brown to dark brown transition on the Saurus skin?

Olaf the Stout

Thanks!

The Saurus were painted (using the old GW colours) with a 50/50 mix of Graveyard Earth and Vomit Brown, Ogryn Wash (?), then the original mix had more and more Bleached Bone added until the highlight was where I wanted it. Then it's on to doing the darken areas. This was just a Chaos Black and Bleached Bone mix with a fair amount of water added so that it's a wash, once this has dried a coat of Ogryn Wash is applied over the top. Nothing to drastic, and I think this could look really good with other colours used, but I'm pretty set on this for my scheme so I haven't tried. I may try with something different for the Kroxigor.

QUOTE(Void @ Aug 7 2012, 08:28 PM) *

Beautiful models, beautiful poses on the Saurus as well. When doing the saurus spearmen, did you have to much chopping and changing with the arms, or was it fairly easy to get them into the poses you have them in?

It's actually fairly easy. The more complicated changes were done on the Saurus with their spears overhead, but to be honest even then that was pretty simple.

One of the easiest places to make a cut is to just shave down the shoulder/arm join with a knife/file to make their arm point at a different angle, or to cut their hand off at the wrist (where the bangle is so that it doesn't look awkward) and then reattach it at the angle that you want (this was done on a lot of the Saurus with spears), glue the Saurus at an angle on the base different to the normal one and you're done.

When I next build a unit I'll take some pics to run through how it was done.

QUOTE(PlasmaDavid @ Aug 8 2012, 10:26 AM) *

.... excuse me while I go an get my Lizardmen army. And set fire to it. And throw it off a bridge.

You're incredible and I HATE YOU.

Haha! Best compliment ever. Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2018 - 01:34 AM