post Jan 1 2019, 11:25 AM
Post #1

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 6,935

Happy New Year.

Planned events scheduled for this season include:
  • FoGN2 event at Briscon. April. Scale likely to be 15mm. Either latest draft version (6) or published rulebook -- whichever is most current at time of event. Fee to participate.
  • HX4 (Queen's Birthday long weekend) - FoGN2. Sep/Oct. Event type: Scenario based. Competition type: Round Robin. Winner determined at end of round robin. Scale: 20/25mm. Entry: Fee to participate (going to prize).
  • Canvas Eagle fun league. Casual fun ladder to be run fortnightly run all-year. Winner dubbed Maroon Baron 2019. Early and Late war periods. Quantity (normally two of each) of 1/72 aircraft (painted and based) required. Free to all.
  • What a Tanker free-for-all (Feb). Introduction and fun gaming moments. 1/72 or 1/76 tanks (for 20mm gaming). Starting period: TBD. Free to all.
  • 2019 Autumn league (Feb to May). Game for spotlight: What a Tanker. Frequency: fortnightly. Entry: free. Notes: Winner retains winner status and carries this into next league.
  • 2019 Winter league (May to Jul). Game for spotlight: What a Tanker. Frequency: fortnightly. Entry: free. Notes: Winner starts new league at winning status while everyone else resets to noob.
  • Gaslands Blast Bowl event. Single event. Date: mid-June 2019. Notes: Multi-player arena bowl style combat on a large table - industrial/wasteland setting (TBD). Winner takes home bragging rights.
  • 2019 Spring league (Aug to Oct). Game for spotlight - What a Tanker. Fortnightly. Free. Winner starts new league at winning status while everyone else resets to noob.
  • 2019 Summer league (Nov to Jan). Game for spotlight - What a Tanker. Frequency: TBA. Entry: free. Notes: Winner starts new league at winning status while everyone else resets to noob.
Of course, other happenings/events are planned but full details will be disclosed once confirmed.

Usual meetups - monthly. Venue: TBA. Cost: Zilch. BYO refreshments. Games will be mixed, varied and engaging. Not restricted to just tabletop. May include boardgames (Talisman, anyone?).

Subscriptions available also available to Quarterstaff ezine. Free. Just PM an email to receive this quarterly issue.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Apr 22 2019, 12:53 PM

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
"Life without regrets is no life at all" Yip Man
"If you lack technique you lose the freedom to create" Paco de Lucia
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 1 2019, 11:38 PM
Post #2

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Reliably informed the FoGN2 publication will be available this month on Amazon. Woooh! armata_PDT_36.gif

--------------------
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" for Spike Milligan & Dave Chapelle & Charles Bukowski
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 2 2019, 12:38 AM
Post #3

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Am tossing my hat in the ring again...what's left of it. Planning on running a demo/participation game of Canvas Eagles for all those Biggles types. Hoping for both days. Full details closer to the event date.

IPB Image

Hopefully, there won't be too many incidents like young Biggles on his training flight. His Airco DH2 wasn't so fortunate however.

IPB Image

Soon everyone will be flying like their favourite Allied ace in their Camels or DH5s tackling nasty Fokker D7s over France or Belgium. What!

IPB Image

Will you survive the forever dog fight and regale family and friends with your heroic exploits in your biplane or triplane? Only one way to find out, eh? See you at Briscon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 2 2019, 10:46 PM
Post #4

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

If you have a spare 40 minutes at Briscon, wander over and introduce yourself. We'll have decent planes to tackle your first dog fight. Don't worry if you get shot down; you can respawn as many times as required as the game will be an endless dog fight. No complicated rules. Simple instructions. See if you can Red Baron or Biggles your way across the hexed tabletop. Or better still, be the ultimate ace -- Snoopy, our American ace dog!

IPB Image

Cool as a cucumber in a Greek salad. Or will you end up crashing and burning?

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 5 2019, 04:15 AM
Post #5

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Hi all. Putting my hand up to run a FREE PUBLIC PARTICIPATION game at this year's BrisCon. The system I'll be hosting will be a simplified form of Canvas Eagles using the Fluid game version. The Fluid game is akin to that endless battle where you crash land/get shot down/run off the board and respawn for as long as you want or until time is called. Game itself will only take five minutes to learn.

Right now I'm looking for some assistance from the wider gaming community in Brisbane with some loan 1/72 planes. Looking for Late War planes (after Jan 1917 only) mostly for variety and backups. I am keenly after these particular planes if you can spare them. Am even happy to build them if unassembled and afterwards paint them to tabletop standard.

Central Powers
  • Haberstadt CL-II/IIIa
  • Hannover CL-IIIa
  • LFG Roland DII/DVIb
  • Junker D-I
  • Pfalz DIII/DXII
  • Siemen Schuckert D-I/DIII

Allied
  1. Ansaldo SVA5
  2. Airco DH-4/5/9
  3. Bristol F2b
  4. RAF RE8
  5. Sopwith Dolphin
  6. Sopwith Snipe

Please send me a PM if you can help out a fellow gamer. Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 5 2019, 03:17 PM
Post #6

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Worked on designing several post-apoc style scape terrain maps. Here is one completed last night. It's e-SCAPE TEMPLATE Desertcape #1.

IPB Image

These SCAPES are not system specific and therefore are adaptable landscapes to situations or needs. They are also very easy to create as I use very simple principles for generating them. These include four basic zones of operation:
  1. No-Go Zone (NGZ) - no entry/access
  2. Limited Participation Zone (LPZ) - access with conditions
  3. Movement Zone (MZ) - free unrestricted entry/access
  4. Scoring Zone (SZ) - tactical significant/scoring areas

I am moving away from detailed eye-candy type scenery which tend to be overlooked when playing the game. So these NGZ can be abstracted -- any reasonable substitute will do: styrene or wooden blocks. Even leggo can do!

Will post the BASH BOWL ARENA which I am presently working on. Cheers.

This post has been edited by b20f08: Jan 5 2019, 03:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 6 2019, 10:13 PM
Post #7

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Had interesting chinwag with another member of our gaming circle today. He made mention of Dragon Rampant, a fantasy version of Lion Rampant. Initially I've baulked at going in that direction because having been hooked on Lion Rampant, I knew I'd be easily lured to the 'dark side.' But with an inordinate number of dusting WFB figures occupying space, I figured "what the heck!". So, now we can add Dragon Rampant to the list of games being played in February. I've got Ogres, Lizardmen, High Elves and Beastmen, more than enough to create several roving warbands roaming the scenic countryside of the Scenic Rim shire or the wastelands of the High Plateaus or steamy jungles of Central Sauria, yada yada yada...

Next weekend it's What a Tanker getting its debut. Two or three tanks apiece. Introduction gaming only so period specific won't matter one iota. Basically learning the game mechanics and have another fun-filled afternoon. Will post day report after the weekend. Cheers.

Season Four of Lion Rampant will return in February/March (if not sooner for the solo component) when Angus and I will meet to wage war in the Levant and Iberian peninsular. Glory to the Cross and all that jazz.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 9 2019, 12:50 PM
Post #8

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Finally took the leap and purchased the Gaslands rules last night. A week into 2019 and already purchased two rulesets. Thankfully these will be the only rules purchases for the entire year. Some of the group are already converts to Gaslands, playing it since it was released. Others, like myself and one other, are slow pokes. We will get there...eventually.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 13 2019, 08:39 PM
Post #9

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Rescheduled our intro What a Tanker! game from Saturday to Sunday. Just myself and Simon. As it was an intro game, we played one-on-one. One Panzer Mk IVH versus one M4 Sherman 75mm. Profiles (armour and strike) were similar.

Game lasted several turns with lots of stop-start, analysis, discussion, and meal breaks. In the end, though, on the game table we reached a satisfactory appreciation of the game and are keen to continue with it. Handy too in that carting models was confined to just one model, some dice, tape, and rules (and QRS).

Used a large table to start with but found our skirmish took place in a relatively narrow area.

IPB Image

We had fun trying to simulate the right atmosphere, especially with the brew-ups!

IPB Image

On the fifteenth turn, the unexpected happened.

IPB Image

Rolling five damage dice with the target rolling two armour saves meant the target was doomed!

IPB Image

We raced around trying to get a good bead on one another. But when we lined each other up, we tended to find we lacked that essential something to complete the action - either acquiring or shoot or reload. Both tanks took individual hits early on that affected plans a bit. Game started to flow quite easily towards the end.

Plan on hooking up for another game next weekend. Same place too. This time, my opponent will bring one Tiger and I'll bring along two heavily armoured Shermans. We may extend that to five Shermans versus three Pz IVs and one Tiger. We're playing 1/72 or 1/76 scale figures. Others are welcome to pop down. Will advise timings during the week.

We'll also be running an intro game of Dragon Rampant. If it's anything akin to Lion Rampant (which it seems so from a quick scansion of the rules last week) then things should trot along nicely. Bringing down a Beast warband. Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 15 2019, 01:16 PM
Post #10

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Playing What a Tanker! this weekend. Also taking down my inaugural warband for Dragon Rampant[i], fantasy skirmishing in the same vein as Lion Rampant. armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 16 2019, 02:08 AM
Post #11

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Really getting into prepping for this Dragon Rampant game this weekend, even though it'll mainly be for the benefit of What a Tanker!. Finalised my beastie's listing. The game mechanics is exactly the same as Lion Rampant. Only addition and change is in the fantasy element. I like how he's made it so the magical element is subordinate to the game and not the other way round. Just hoping my opponent is running Elves. Probably that's why I should draw up an Ogres list now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 16 2019, 10:53 AM
Post #12

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

Running continuation of What a Tanker! and new intro to Dragon Rampant this Sunday.

Figures
WaT! - 1/72 or 1/76 tanks. American Shermans & German Panzers.
DR - 28mm (using our WFB figures). I will bring around four different warbands - Beastmen, Ogres, Lizardmen, and High Elves. Simon will have around 2-3 warbands.

Games
WaT! game - (1) Easy 8s tackle a Tiger. Or (2) several Shermans take on equivalent number of Panzers.
DR - two warbands playing first scenario from book.

--------------------
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Jan 16 2019, 01:54 PM
Post #13

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,027

Keen to see how the Dragon Rampant plays out smile.gif

What a Tanker not really my thing, but I like the photography smile.gif . How long does the game take at 'normal force sizes'?

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Jan 16 2019, 03:16 PM
Post #14

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

QUOTE(D_Arquebus @ Jan 16 2019, 01:54 PM) *

Keen to see how the Dragon Rampant plays out smile.gif

What a Tanker not really my thing, but I like the photography smile.gif . How long does the game take at 'normal force sizes'?

Thanks. Keen to see how DR pans out as well.

WaT is touted as individual tank skirmish so the basic core unit, as I understand it, is one tank per player. Playing time depends on table size. If playing one on one, a 3' x 3' table can do (X Wing size). Game really lends itself to multiple players: the more the merrier!

This post has been edited by b20f08: Jan 17 2019, 12:18 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
b20f08
post Apr 22 2019, 01:11 PM
Post #15

Ten Guitars
Group Icon

FoGN v2.

With the recent release of the long overdue version 2, FoGN, the CORPS-level Napoleonic game, makes it active return to the gaming scene.

For those interested, I am looking at running a couple of FREE, easy, stress-free sessions throughout the year as prac runs for the eventual return of FoGN as a tournament event for Brisbane in 2020. Focus will be on list design, game play tactics, and streamlining play lists to best achieve goals/strategies.

Noobs through to experienced players are invited to join in these sessions conducted over a weekend day. Timings, locations, and dates to be published here and on the SEQ Historical Gaming fb page well in advance.

The complexity of FoGN is renowned. And off-putting to a great many. The subtleties of FoGN however are less well-known. Yet worth exploring if wanting that edge against veteran tournament players. Not the underhanded tactics employed by lesser beings like crooked dice or time delay when losing. No. Stuff like appreciating the value of infantry squares (in mutual support) acting as your ideal speed humps to those dreaded death star units (French cuirassiers) or careful placement and alignment of your firing lines to maximize their strikepower against an oncoming opponent.

Stay tuned... armata_PDT_36.gif

This post has been edited by b20f08: Apr 22 2019, 01:11 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2019 - 07:44 AM