Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NSW Northern Knights Armies, Just to get an idea of whats available in the club
kajh
post Jan 13 2014, 05:29 PM
Post #221

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE(Saithis @ Jan 13 2014, 12:49 PM) *
Oh no, it's this one that was underwhelming.

Bugger.

Will pick my codex up on the weekend. Was hoping for something which made Nids awesome in CC again - has that happened? Y'know - like they're supposed to be in the fluff.

Cya,
Andrew.

--------------------
(Not so) active member of the NSW Northern Knights Wargaming Club
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Jan 14 2014, 07:57 AM
Post #222

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(kajh @ Jan 13 2014, 06:29 PM) *

Bugger.

Will pick my codex up on the weekend. Was hoping for something which made Nids awesome in CC again - has that happened? Y'know - like they're supposed to be in the fluff.

Cya,
Andrew.

If you throw your Tyranids into combat, you will likely be found wanting.

Hormagaunts got cheaper and have still have fleet but lost their re-rolls in combat.
Genestealers had no change from the last codex - they are still very fragile and are largely a delivery system for the Broodlord, who has some impressive stats but only a 4+ armour save.
Raveners stayed the same amount of points but lost their re-rolls.
Doom of Malantai, Parasite of Mortrex, Spore Pods, and Ymgarl Genestealers have all been dropped completely.

However, Adrenal Glands give fleet and furious charge now, and can be bought for just about any creature (all of the big bugs can have them - including Carnifexes)

All in all, the army seems to be geared towards neither shooting or assault. To be brutally honest, it feels like a rush job. I can see a Deathleaper/Mawloc/Spore Mine Cluster list becoming very popular.

--------------------
Roll a 2D6 and compare to the table below.
2 - Emperor's Children / 3 - [roll again] / 4 - [roll again] / 5 - Tyranids
6 - Slaanesh Daemons / 7 - [roll again] / 8 - Asuryani
9 - Thousand Sons / 10 - Ynnari / 11 - [roll again] / 12 - Emperor's Children
+Quote Post
Nagnar
post Jan 14 2014, 10:50 AM
Post #223

Member No.: 14,784

That is Very disappointing. I hope it isn't too bad that you are really forced into certain units or weapons this time around...? could you bring your copy to the first meet so that everyone can have a look?

What i mean is, while there is always things that are better than others, sometimes you have to take the best or have very little chance.

This post has been edited by Nagnar: Jan 14 2014, 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Jan 14 2014, 11:26 AM
Post #224

QUOTE(Nagnar @ Jan 14 2014, 11:50 AM) *

That is Very disappointing. I hope it isn't too bad that you are really forced into certain units or weapons this time around...? could you bring your copy to the first meet so that everyone can have a look?

What i mean is, while there is always things that are better than others, sometimes you have to take the best or have very little chance.

I've only got the digital copy but I'll certainly bring it - I'll be bringing my Tyranid army to play.

The Haruspex looks like it will be a rare tabletop choice but the Exocrine (24" S7 AP2 gun, shoots either assault 1/large blast or assault 6) will be a standard pick in a lot of armies. As I said above, Tervigon spams are no longer the most viable build, but I think most armies will contain a Hive Tyrant with wings, Venomthrope elites, and an Exocrine in heavy support.

There's also a piece of wargear that extends Synapse range by 6" (for 40 points, no less). It seems awfully expensive, but synapse is so restrictive that I expect it will be picked up as a standard thing eventually.

The more I read the codex, the more lists I write, and the more I find ways of using them. It's not an awful codex, I don't think, but I also don't think it's what it could have been, and I don't expect to see it up the top of many tournament placing lists.

--------------------
+Quote Post
dvaston
post Jan 14 2014, 12:51 PM
Post #225

Member No.: 5,183

QUOTE(Saithis @ Jan 14 2014, 12:26 PM) *

I've only got the digital copy but I'll certainly bring it - I'll be bringing my Tyranid army to play.

The Haruspex looks like it will be a rare tabletop choice but the Exocrine (24" S7 AP2 gun, shoots either assault 1/large blast or assault 6) will be a standard pick in a lot of armies. As I said above, Tervigon spams are no longer the most viable build, but I think most armies will contain a Hive Tyrant with wings, Venomthrope elites, and an Exocrine in heavy support.

There's also a piece of wargear that extends Synapse range by 6" (for 40 points, no less). It seems awfully expensive, but synapse is so restrictive that I expect it will be picked up as a standard thing eventually.

The more I read the codex, the more lists I write, and the more I find ways of using them. It's not an awful codex, I don't think, but I also don't think it's what it could have been, and I don't expect to see it up the top of many tournament placing lists.

Some strange choices, but I am interested to have a look. I notice several of the new codexes haven't been too over-powered (with the exception of some combinations like tau + eldar, and even then its normally just a few units within a codex that are really "broken"). If everything is at the same power level, it might make for a more balanced meta. But we'll see how it is taken up by the players.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Jan 14 2014, 02:10 PM
Post #226

QUOTE(dvaston @ Jan 14 2014, 01:51 PM) *

Some strange choices, but I am interested to have a look. I notice several of the new codexes haven't been too over-powered (with the exception of some combinations like tau + eldar, and even then its normally just a few units within a codex that are really "broken"). If everything is at the same power level, it might make for a more balanced meta. But we'll see how it is taken up by the players.

Over on other sites they're saying that if this codex was balanced against Space Marines, then it is totally fair enough.

Myself, I've thought up a few interesting tactics and combinations to be a bit more than excited to get them on the table.

--------------------
+Quote Post
BIG
post Jan 14 2014, 02:54 PM
Post #227

Member No.: 14,152

I am always interested in new codex's, just look at the stupid modelling idea I am trying to do. I have had a bit of a looksie at the new Nid codex and do feel it is perhaps not as well thought out as it could/should have been, there are just a few too many poorly worded rules that will cause some nerd rage on the forums.

However, I will reserve judgement for now as I seem to remember a great deal of rage that the Eldar codex sucked and wouldn't work and look where we are now.....

--------------------
Check out my Crazy Army plan here
Check out the Fluff for my Crazy Army plan here
2000 Point Armies
[40k] Murdochs 5th Armoured Detachment, 34/87th Tullarium Armour; Taskforce of the Garrsak Clan Company; Grimskragas Razorfangs, Guiding Light of Yarn Le'ath; Hive Fleet Acidica; XII Ab=mbush Cell, Loyalists of the Twin Primarchs;

[Warhammer] The Obsidian Knightly Order; The Wondrous Caravan of the Traveller and his Maneaters; Bronze Host of Ka-Sabar; Dragonriders of Caledor; Vain Quest for the Grail, 11th Crusade of Araby; The Throng of Kark Veng;
+Quote Post
Saithis
post Jan 14 2014, 02:56 PM
Post #228

The most disappointing thing about the codex is that a lot of it seems to be copy/pasted from the previous codex in regards to stories/fluff.

Some of it is new, but a lot of it is not. Feels very lazy and was pretty disappointed when I sat down to read it.

--------------------
+Quote Post

12 Pages V « < 10 11 12
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2018 - 09:23 PM