Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting BA wahat should I get?
Zooly
post Apr 10 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,267

Hi all.

Keen to start a new gaming system and BA has definitely caught my attention. Keen to start Fallschrimjager army.

My question is what army set should I aim to get to get straight into the fray. Which box sets would be good for a complete noob. I've heard that theres a new rulebook coming out in August.

Cheers for any advice

Zooly
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Frullet
post Apr 11 2016, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 9,470

The new rile book you refer to may possibly be the updated version of the German source book. From what I have heard the core rule set has got no changes, other than the erratas posted by Warlord games, coming or announced.

Regarding getting into the game the best way to kick off in my experience is through either the 1000 point or 500 point army box set deals. These are often avalible through hobby stores that sell BA. The alternitive option, if you done mind the wait for transport, is to go directly to the Warlord web site where they often have special army deals where you get a free unit or tank.

As with most wargaming I would first decide what style of play you want (historical, competitive, fun, etc.) and then determine a nation (faction/race). Once you have done this do some research the Internet is bimming with WWII history and this will help you determine what units to pick up. The main thing to remember is that it is a historical game and some players (friendly and at tournaments) strive for close to possible accuracy on the tabletop. I would avoid things like running a Panzer II and Fallschimjager with STG44's (assault rifles) for example as this never happened in the war.

I have had a lot of success with sticking to a theme be it early/mid/late war and a faction be it Waffen-SS, Heer, or US Marine Corps. This way the weapons used will all era correct and there is no strange mix of weapons/vehicles/support weapons

--------------------
Looking for plastic unassembled catachans if anyone can help

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.[url=
+Quote Post
Zooly
post Apr 12 2016, 04:56 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,267

Hah ###### I thought I'd never get any responses. Thanks man much appreciated!
+Quote Post
Frullet
post Apr 12 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,470

No problem

--------------------
Looking for plastic unassembled catachans if anyone can help

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.[url=
+Quote Post
Caliginous
post Apr 12 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #5

Blistering Barnacle
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 5,646

Go to the German Build An Army section of the Warlord web store.

Choose the blister of metal Fallschirmjager HQ. Select the two Fallschirmjager boxes and for the team, choose a Fallschirmjajer mortar team or HMG team. Choose an armoured car, choose a free tank. Maybe one or two other blisters - a couple of more teams, and for 90 odd squid you've got most of a complete armoured platoon. That's 170 bucks. That's one unit in GW terms. It's amazing value.

This post has been edited by Caliginous: Apr 12 2016, 08:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
rat of vengence
post Apr 13 2016, 08:22 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 362

Good advice from both fellas above. Can I also suggest the Bolt Action Australia/New Zealand page on Facebook, lots of new people asking questions. It's a good crowd.

RoV

--------------------
I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man...

Twin-linked gives you the ability to miss twice with a single shot weapon.

My Orcstralian Army blog, at the best O&G site; http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_War...showtopic=23521

My children, also known as Destroyers of Hobby
+Quote Post
w00f135
post Apr 14 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,474

QUOTE(rat of vengence @ Apr 13 2016, 09:22 AM) *

Good advice from both fellas above. Can I also suggest the Bolt Action Australia/New Zealand page on Facebook, lots of new people asking questions. It's a good crowd.

RoV

+1. If you aren't fussed then grab the units so you can get it happening, then pick up the second ed. rule book and new release German book in the next few months. You can play some learner games easily enough with the German army list at the back of a mates rule book to tie you over until then!

--------------------
.- / -- .- -. / .. ... / -. --- - / -.. . .- -.. / .-- .... .. .-.. . / .... .. ... / -. .- -- . / .. ... / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / ... .--. --- -.- . -. .-.-.-
[BB: Skaven][Malifaux: Neverborn & Gremlins][Infinity: Tohaa ][Boardgamin': Gloomhaven / Massive Darkness]
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 12:16 PM