Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie Needs Advice
Dethsor
post Nov 4 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,492

Hi All,
I'm looking to get into playing Epic (I last played back in 1995), and am after some advice on how to get started.

I'm looking at doing Space Marines (Dark Angels for 30k), and would like to know the best way to learn / get into things.

Would it be best to start small (i.e. 1k points of tactical marines, predators, and some terminators) then work my way up from there ?

Any, and all advice welcome.

A.

--------------------
"On countless worlds the earth shakes
as the forces of Chaos strive to gain control.
As they unleash their devestating weaponry
upon their foes, there is no time for peace...
Only the Eternal War"

...Bolt Thrower "Realms of Chaos"
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Nov 4 2017, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,027

Hey Mate,

1k games (Minigeddon) are an effective way to learn the rules without overload. Will allow others to recommend specific starting build though smile.gif

Where are you? There is a small but dedicated group of players in most capitals around Oz smile.gif .

Epicau where they are developing the Heresy Lists smile.gif

Also check out the FB: Epic Armageddon Australia FB . Tends to be quick responses, but harder to revisit then forums smile.gif

--------------------
ausbowl.com - The home of Australian Blood Bowl
theendzone.co- The burgeoning home of New Zealand Blood Bowl
thenaf.net - Home of the NAF (Worldwide Blood Bowl Community)
+Quote Post
fattdex
post Nov 5 2017, 10:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,422

Are you in Melbourne?

--------------------
Monday Knights, over a decade of dice, beer and taking trophies. Based in the Hawthorn area check us out at www.mondayknights.org.au

You either die, or live long enough to do naps
+Quote Post
Dethsor
post Nov 6 2017, 06:35 AM
Post #4

Hi,
Thanks for the advice, I've checked out EpicAU and a few other international forums & they look good.

I'm in Sydney at the moment, but am in the process of moving to the Blue Mountains.

My goal at the moment is to have a painted force ready for MOAB next year.

I think I might start with:
2 * Marine Tactical Detachments
1 * Devestator Detachment
1 * Land Speeder Detachment

I will more than likely make them Imperial Fists (Im thinking the darker colours of some other chapters may make them loose too much definition).

--------------------
Only the Eternal War"

+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Nov 6 2017, 10:10 AM
Post #5

A few people scattered around Sydney. Mostly not posting on here as can be seen sad.gif

There is a couple of players (and the last TO for MOAB) who play monthly at Hall of Heroes Campbelltown. May be wroth getting along to have a game or two and learn the ropes smile.gif

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...186858&st=0

Also, here is the link to all the army lists. Marines are versatile enough that you can build the one force to cover a few of the different list 'playstyles' and expand your gaming options smile.gif

http://www.net-armageddon.org/page/army-lists

--------------------
+Quote Post
Deb
post Nov 6 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,112

Campbelltown now has a regular gaming day on the second Sunday of the month which just happens to be the 12th of October this month. We hold games at the Hall of Heroes at 60 Queen Street Campbelltown (across from Rashays). I thankfully live 400m from the store, so except when I am very tired from work or very busy elsewhere, I tend to hang around the store.

Chris and myself - Deb regular play off against each other developing his new Black Templars experimental list. He has Titans, Eldar, Imperial Fists, Black Templars, Imperial Knights titans and I am not sure what else, as he 3d prints a lot of his stuff. I have Emperor's Children, Chaos Titans, Vraksian Renegades, Dark Eldar, Orks (still building the armies) Feral and Gargant, White Scars, Sian-Hann/Iyanden Eldar, Squats and Sisters of Battle.

We have a great range of opponents you can face off against, and learn the basic rules from us playing minigeddon first, then build your force up from there. Chris has gone off marines a bit as they have very little MW, and almost no TK weaponry. We have all the terrain, you can use, and have enough links/ contacts as to where you can purchase the appropriate marine minis, get the downloadable rules/ army lists, and terrain.

Vanguard minis, and possibly Onslaught minis would be good places to check out first.

If you want to go to the Hall of Heroes, they open up at 11 am close at 5pm. They have food and coffee.

Also Chris lives somewhere near Richmond, so should be close to where you might be moving to. He might know other gamers in his area. We both are looking to travel to Newcastle now and then on the last Sunday of the Month to play Epic at the Legions club.

I also believe there are a group of gamers in Parramatta somewhere, but I do not know where.

--------------------
The world is chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms.

Epic Armageddon - Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Squats, Sian-Hann Eldar, Emperor's Children, Vraks Renegades and White Scars. Most of them over 8000 points each.

120,000 points of 40K, mostly Chaos Marine and Cultist. Sisters of Perfection (Slaaneshi Sisters), Orks mainly Kult of Speed, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Silence, Adeptus Custodes, 30K Thousand Sons, Adeptus Arbites.

Warzone Resurrection - Bauhaus, Imperial (MOW and WolfBane), Mishima, Capitol, and Brotherhood all over 8000 points each.

Dystopian Wars - Covenant of Antarctica, Australians, Ottomans, French, Russians, Mercenaries.
+Quote Post
paulJam
post Nov 6 2017, 07:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 17,035

QUOTE(Deb @ Nov 6 2017, 05:42 PM) *

Campbelltown now has a regular gaming day on the second Sunday of the month which just happens to be the 12th of October this month.

which is this weekend coming up. yhay! feel free to drop in for a watch or a game or both.

Also Chris lives somewhere near Richmond, so should be close to where you might be moving to. He might know other gamers in his area.

the richmond part is true. i haven't found any other players locally; even in penrith when HOH was operating there weren't any active players that i could find. would be happy to play north-west way too if anyone is interested.

I also believe there are a group of gamers in Parramatta somewhere, but I do not know where.

i never found anyone in parra; worked there for last 6 years and no one at any of the flgs knew of anyone playing. secret garage cult perhaps.
there is also a couple of people in bondi who occasionally play. had brief contact there but they didn't seem overly interested in travel, though i may have misinterpreted.
+Quote Post
Kn'Thrak
post Nov 6 2017, 09:04 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,930

QUOTE(Deb @ Nov 6 2017, 06:42 PM) *

12th of October this month.

I think Deb means 12th of November biggrin.gif

If you're down in Melbourne any time - message Fattdex beforehand and guarantee he'll not only find the time for a game with you - he'll get you hooked. I played 1 demo game with him a couple of years ago and am now preparing to build my third epic army.

--------------------
Please note, I can't receive PM's

I wish people would stop blaspheming comparing Lemmy Kilmister to God. He might be a decent chap, but he certainly isn't Lemmy.

QUOTE(jimjimjimmyjim @ Jun 20 2014, 06:31 PM) *

I'm really a bit clueless tho

+Quote Post
Dethsor
post Nov 6 2017, 09:14 PM
Post #9

Hi All,
I have to say that I'm blown-back by the amount of information and assistance that everyone has offered. Some of the abbreviations, I'm not sure of ??MW, TK (Titan Killing ??)

I have been looking at some of the 6 mm manufacturers out there, and been quite impressed with the different ranges that Vanguard has on offer. The reason I've looked at marines, is that they look like they are the force that I could possibly do in a complete manner with new (but non-GW) figures. I could potentially do guard, but given that I am an incredibly slow painter it would take me forever (and cost a fair bit more).

Unfortunately, I can't make it this Sunday.

I've been a member of Southern Battlegamers for a while, and I think there are a few there that have an army or 2 buried away. I've also got a neighbour that pulled out his old Chaos army (he also has a Space Marine Company box brand new on the sprue in his stash).

Thanks again,
A.

--------------------
Only the Eternal War"

+Quote Post
Deb
post Nov 7 2017, 05:21 PM
Post #10

Then you probably know Nathan Ofsoski from the Southern Battle Gamers group. He signed up for the minigeddon, however he was the only one and I had to cancel it at MOAB. I know he is also wanting to get into Epic. There is also another guy called Zac who showed interest and wants to start up an Epic Army in Sydney. If we can get all 3 learning the game, and even Coax Dave Sharpe to play a game instead of his X-Wing, then we could have a real large group.

Sorry you can not make it this Sunday 11th Nov.

Hope you can make it sometime, and we can slowly teach you the game.

--------------------
The world is chaotic, so why not join the party. Slaanesh welcomes you with open arms.

Epic Armageddon - Dark Eldar, Sisters of Battle, Squats, Sian-Hann Eldar, Emperor's Children, Vraks Renegades and White Scars. Most of them over 8000 points each.

120,000 points of 40K, mostly Chaos Marine and Cultist. Sisters of Perfection (Slaaneshi Sisters), Orks mainly Kult of Speed, Dark Eldar, Sisters of Silence, Adeptus Custodes, 30K Thousand Sons, Adeptus Arbites.

Warzone Resurrection - Bauhaus, Imperial (MOW and WolfBane), Mishima, Capitol, and Brotherhood all over 8000 points each.

Dystopian Wars - Covenant of Antarctica, Australians, Ottomans, French, Russians, Mercenaries.
+Quote Post
fruitbat
post Nov 8 2017, 06:52 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 95

Kurt is also asking lots of epic questions and has a knight army in progress. SBG looks to have a growing epic group, y'all need to just get together smile.gif

Good job Deb for stepping up to run it at MOAB these last two years... growth is slow, but there's certainly interest in the shire...
+Quote Post
Dethsor
post Nov 10 2017, 03:26 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(fruitbat @ Nov 8 2017, 07:52 AM) *

Kurt is also asking lots of epic questions and has a knight army in progress. SBG looks to have a growing epic group, y'all need to just get together smile.gif

Good job Deb for stepping up to run it at MOAB these last two years... growth is slow, but there's certainly interest in the shire...

Ta, I'll have a chat with Kurt then.

Looks like I can get away on Sunday, so I'll be coming, and bringing a buddy of mine who used to play (visiting MOAB got him excited and wanting to play again).

A.

--------------------
Only the Eternal War"

+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post Nov 12 2017, 08:42 PM
Post #13

Good to meet you both today smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the Minigeddon game. Good way to wrap your head around the rules without too much chrome getting in the way smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Dethsor
post Nov 13 2017, 07:34 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(D_Arquebus @ Nov 12 2017, 09:42 PM) *

Good to meet you both today smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the Minigeddon game. Good way to wrap your head around the rules without too much chrome getting in the way smile.gif

Hi,
It was great to meet up today with you all. We both had a great time.

I'm now thinking about what army I'd like - Marines, whilst having a certain appeal have some other contenders (Squats, Tau, Tyranids & Dark Eldar).

A.

--------------------
Only the Eternal War"

+Quote Post
Norto
post Nov 14 2017, 12:49 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 13,414

QUOTE(Dethsor @ Nov 13 2017, 08:34 PM) *

Hi,

I'm now thinking about what army I'd like - Marines, whilst having a certain appeal have some other contenders (Squats, Tau, Tyranids & Dark Eldar).

A.

why not get all
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Deb
post Nov 14 2017, 05:54 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Dethsor @ Nov 13 2017, 08:34 PM) *

Hi,

A.

Squats are a little in contention since they almost wiped the floor at CanCon a few years back. They have had a bit of a rewrite, but are still only developmental/experimental at the moment. Onslaught has a good range of proxies for them.

Eldar are very powerful, and come in a various list, each with its merits, however the Titan list is Experimental, and most tournaments will not allow them yet. Most people play either Biel-Tan, Iyanden or Sian-Hann lists. A number of companies have good proxies for these. Vanguard, and people have used Microworld games - Dark realm minis, which also cater for nids.

Dark Eldar are in the final developmental stages, and are used a lot in Australia for tournaments. I have a large DE list myself which is mostly painted, and most of the minis you need are available from Onslaught minis. They generally run as an assault army with certain formations used to soften the enemy up before you engage, they are fast and use lots of skimmers. Unfortunately they also have more Light vehicles than most armies can target them with both AP and AT weapons.

Nids are not the top tier army they are currently in 8th ed 40K. They do not have the weapon ranges, speed, or armour saves. They have some artillery and war engines, but not too much. Most of your list would be warband type formations with mixed gaunts, Warriors, etc. They generally like lots of cover, and tend to use pack horde tactics. Again Onslaught has decent proxies.

Tau are great, just ask Norto. They are fast with some LV, and tank skimmers, decent aircraft, and some nice troops. They do not have large enough formations, and some units have low end armour saves, but they use marker light units to spot enemy out of sight within 30cm , and then other units with special missiles can hit them even though they can not see the enemy themselves. Kill off the light/ weak spotting units first. Onslaught has a nice range of proxies for Tau.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 08:21 PM