Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sunshine Coast Flames of War
Lighthorse214
post Aug 24 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,675

QUOTE(glynaynsley @ Aug 23 2010, 08:41 PM) *

Quick question been looking at the prices for this stuff and it seems crazy expensive for the amount you get and the size of it.

Is this a common misconception or is it more of an investment than GW.

OMG glyn

Compared to GW stuff it is very cheap. But then Pink Diamonds and Platinum are cheap these days compared to GW
armata_PDT_14.gif

Seriously though....it is fairly inexpensive as far as wargames go....but it also varies depending on which army you choose to collect.

A Namby-Pamby German force tongue.gif will be less expensive to collect simply because you do not need to purchase as many units to field 1500 points.

Conversely those of us (note i said "us" huh.gif ) stupid enough to collect soviets will need to outlay more cash to field our Mid War 1942-43 Fearless Consctipt "hordes"....URRAHHHHH!

and dont even get me stated about painting russians......30 Stands of infantry down...24 more to go armata_PDT_08.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lighthorse214
post Aug 24 2010, 03:03 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(Fingolfin @ Aug 24 2010, 11:36 AM) *

That will spoil the surprise....

LOL like i will be able to not tell anyone.

HQ grends
3x Platoons of Grens
2x Machine Guns platoons
4x Pak 40s, One attaches to my Nebs cause I can only have 3 in a platoon.
2x 8.8 Pak 43 on turntable things
4x Heavy Art 10.5 the big guns
6x Nebs cause the 41s come in 3 per blister and i need 4
Art HQ cause the Nebs had no observers
Box of Panzer IV cause I love my tanks and thought why not
Plus the paint kits for armour and infantry.

Just need to place the order but work summons me away.

Stu,

Could i make a suggestion (bearing in mind i don't play Germans but face off against them a lot)

I would ditch the 2nd Machine Gun Plt and substitute it with either an 81mm or 120mm mortar Plt. Sometimes you just wont be able to stretch your points to fit in a big hvy arty unit and the 120mm mortars are a very efffective cheaper replacement. Plus they pin with a single hit where as MG's still need 5 hits to pin, and being germans their arty hits way more often.

My 2 cents rolleyes.gif
+Quote Post
jas
post Aug 24 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #23

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,299

QUOTE(Lighthorse214 @ Aug 24 2010, 03:03 PM) *

Stu,

Could i make a suggestion (bearing in mind i don't play Germans but face off against them a lot)

I would ditch the 2nd Machine Gun Plt and substitute it with either an 81mm or 120mm mortar Plt. Sometimes you just wont be able to stretch your points to fit in a big hvy arty unit and the 120mm mortars are a very efffective cheaper replacement. Plus they pin with a single hit where as MG's still need 5 hits to pin, and being germans their arty hits way more often.

My 2 cents rolleyes.gif

Nebs are better than mortars. Remember nebs are rockets so you get no negatives to your roll to hit if you range in on subsequent rolls to range in. I would consider fielding the mortars in addition to the other arty but never take them instead of nebs.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lighthorse214
post Aug 25 2010, 10:18 AM
Post #24

QUOTE(jas @ Aug 24 2010, 03:51 PM) *

Nebs are better than mortars. Remember nebs are rockets so you get no negatives to your roll to hit if you range in on subsequent rolls to range in. I would consider fielding the mortars in addition to the other arty but never take them instead of nebs.

Sorry jas, I expresed myself badly. I meant take and/or purchase the Hvy mortars instead of a 2nd MG coy.

I reckon Stu would get more use and flexability out of the hvy mortars than the extra MG's

+Quote Post
jas
post Aug 25 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #25

QUOTE(Lighthorse214 @ Aug 25 2010, 10:18 AM) *

Sorry jas, I expresed myself badly. I meant take and/or purchase the Hvy mortars instead of a 2nd MG coy.

I reckon Stu would get more use and flexability out of the hvy mortars than the extra MG's

Ah yes - true dat. biggrin.gif

I would find it extremely rare to field multiple HMG platoons.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Earendil the Dark
post Aug 25 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 8,205

Just saw the thread. armata_PDT_37.gif Blairy has been on my case to branch out into other game systems and this is THE ONE for me. I have no idea what is needed, apart from money, and don't know the rules (yet).

What army should I buy?

I like the idea of Afrika Corps or something German. I have heard American Airborne is pretty useful.

Geez I am excited about this. armata_PDT_36.gif
+Quote Post
Lighthorse214
post Aug 25 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(Earendil the Dark @ Aug 25 2010, 04:38 PM) *

Just saw the thread. armata_PDT_37.gif Blairy has been on my case to branch out into other game systems and this is THE ONE for me. I have no idea what is needed, apart from money, and don't know the rules (yet).

What army should I buy?

I like the idea of Afrika Corps or something German. I have heard American Airborne is pretty useful.

Mate have you checked out the Web Site

http://www.flamesofwar.com/

1. Pick a Nationality and or force that you like and think is cool....never mind the playability at this stage

2. Pick up the "Open fire" boxed set as a good starter set

3. Bend jas's ear on the forum about a good core force for germans.....If you are insane enought to Go Russians then ebnd my ear armata_PDT_01.gif ...welcome abourd

will you be at the Club this Saturday?
+Quote Post
Earendil the Dark
post Aug 25 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #28

Thanks for that. Will check out the site. As to club day that depends on golf and the fall out from the garage sale.
+Quote Post
jas
post Aug 25 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Earendil the Dark @ Aug 25 2010, 04:38 PM) *

What army should I buy?

Ok, I'll try and make this pretty succinct. armata_PDT_01.gif
FoW is split into 3 mini games. Early War 39-41, Mid War 42-43 and Late War 44-45. The 3 periods are not compatible so you need to choose which period you would like to play in. Typically it will be the period that most of your gaming buddies play and you are interested in. Late War is the most common and is the period I play.
You then pick an army that is from the period that interests you the most. Armies are broken up by nationality, then into division then into company. Games are played at company level (typically).
Eg Late War, German, SS, Panzerkompanie or Mid War, German, Afrikakorps, Schutzenkompanie.
The company you choose can be largely based on the one that contains the most models that you like or that you have some sort of historical attachment to. So, if you are a fan of Band of Brothers you may field a US, Airborne, Airborne Infantry Company.
What you can take in your company is derived from army lists. Lists can be found primarily in the suppliment Books Fortress Europe (generic late war lists), North Africa & Eastern Front (generic mid war lists) and the recently released Blitzkrieg (early war lists). Battlefront has released supplimentry Late War books that have specific divisions from particular battles (Cobra, Villers-Bocage etc). They also publish supplementry lists on their forum.
You will also need the rule book which can either be the hard cover or the mini book from Open Fire.
I'd suggest if you are not sure what you want to play talk to us at the club day on Saturday or ask questions here in the meantime. Try and get in a game to get the feeling of the mechanics. Visit the FoW website as Lighthorse suggests. Before making any purchases though ask questions because FoW can be a little daunting at first with out someone that knows what they are doing guiding your way. It is easy to buy units that are completely incompatible. biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Earendil the Dark
post Aug 25 2010, 06:52 PM
Post #30

That was very handy to read. As a sunny coast resident I guess I will hopefully play against those on the sunny coast. Is it safe to say late war is the most common of all the players around here.

Based on what you said I think I may need some advise before making my purchases. Before I do that though I will read up some more so I am not completely ignorant (hopefully).

Thanks for the info Jas & L214.
+Quote Post
Fingolfin
post Aug 25 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 4,186

Matt,

Late War seems to be the most popular on the coast.
I have Late War British Armour Company
Soon to arrive Late War German Grenadiers.

Id recommend you come along to the club this Saturday. From what I gather we have Brits, German and Soviet Forces in action. Hopefully some USA.

Start with Open Fire, which comes with the Mini rulebook and a couple of tanks.

Cheers,

Stu

This post has been edited by Fingolfin: Aug 25 2010, 07:26 PM

--------------------

My Painting Blog. http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...p;#entry1196003

My FW Masterclass shadowsword. Here!

Starfire
I hear Fingolfin is good with oils, especially when he models.

MangoZac
the purple just makes me think you're about to have a game of WarMyLittlePony.
in regards to my Cygnar.
+Quote Post
Fingolfin
post Aug 25 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #32

QUOTE(Lighthorse214 @ Aug 25 2010, 10:18 AM) *

QUOTE(jas @ Aug 25 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Ah yes - true dat. biggrin.gif

I would find it extremely rare to field multiple HMG platoons.

Cheers guys, I only bought two to fill out my choices, I did think about the mortars. I can grab these later smile.gif Plus I like the MG sculpts.

--------------------

Starfire

MangoZac
in regards to my Cygnar.
+Quote Post
Fingolfin
post Aug 25 2010, 07:06 PM
Post #33

Also, now I have my two forces chosen (for the time being) Im interested in terrian . Id like to edit the 1st topic with links to the good stuff, terrian companies not sellers smile.gif

So what terrian would you suggest....

--------------------

Starfire

MangoZac
in regards to my Cygnar.
+Quote Post
Earendil the Dark
post Aug 25 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #34

Thanks Stu for the update. I have checked golf for this Saturday and the guys I hack around with have booked me in at 12.22pm. Unless it is raining I won't be at the club.

By the way Blairy is up at Nambour Hospital again with complications. His phone is a little flat but he could probably handle a quick hello.

If I don't make it to Club I will probably come over one night to your place if that's O.K. Stu?
+Quote Post
Lighthorse214
post Aug 25 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #35

QUOTE(Earendil the Dark @ Aug 25 2010, 06:52 PM) *

That was very handy to read. As a sunny coast resident I guess I will hopefully play against those on the sunny coast. Is it safe to say late war is the most common of all the players around here.

Based on what you said I think I may need some advise before making my purchases. Before I do that though I will read up some more so I am not completely ignorant (hopefully).

Thanks for the info Jas & L214.

Also...and this might come across as condescending but its not meant to be, try to grab a few generic WW2 history books and have a read.....anything NOT by Stephen Ambrose should do armata_PDT_01.gif

Also some armies can be collected and used in MW and LW with just a few minor tweeks and upgrades to armour etc although this is hardest for Germans as there equip was constanly changing and upgrading throughout the war.

The Flames of War site also has a very fine forum with and excellent noob section full of FAQ's and hints for new palyers.
+Quote Post
Lighthorse214
post Aug 25 2010, 09:02 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Fingolfin @ Aug 25 2010, 07:02 PM) *

Matt,

Late War seems to be the most popular on the coast.
I have Late War British Armour Company
Soon to arrive Late War German Grenadiers.

Id recommend you come along to the club this Saturday. From what I gather we have Brits, German and Soviet Forces in action. Hopefully some USA.

Start with Open Fire, which comes with the Mini rulebook and a couple of tanks.

Cheers,

Stu

Please Stu....for soviets read "Glorious sons of Mother Russia" armata_PDT_11.gif armata_PDT_14.gif armata_PDT_11.gif
+Quote Post
Earendil the Dark
post Aug 25 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #37

Not to worry L214 (no it didn't come over as condescending). I am fairly well informed on the chain of events of WWII. The European and North African theatre is something I have studied/indulged in since late primary school. I even read WWII tank and aircraft books to my 5 year old son. He knows the different makes of Tiger tanks based on their turret shape. My twin daughters don't seem that interested for some reason. They don't mind DE raiders or SM rhinos though.

By the way, just told the wife about my new hobby. She didn't seem to care as she is watching "Farmer wants a ..... oops wife".

So I guess that means GAME ON!!!!!!! (I am so excited, can you tell? armata_PDT_14.gif )
+Quote Post
ragnarok14
post Aug 25 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 5,001

Alright so being a newb I'm seeking advice on what I am planning on in my rifle company:

hq
2x rifle platoons
1x hmg platoon
25pdrs (8 guns)
2x tank platoons with fireflys
1x commando platoon

I think that's everything in my 1500pt force (2000pts adds in 8 55s and few extra bits). Aiming for a very lightly themed Irish guards force here (have the hells highway book coming so it may change). Thoughts would be appreciated smile.gif.

Also good to see a fair bit of interest in this too, though we do need to sort a decent table of terrain out for the club. And would anyone be interested in maybe trying out the market gardens campaign for fow at some stage? It looks quite impressive.
+Quote Post
jas
post Aug 26 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #39

Wow - so many responses!

I'll start with Stu - Terrain companies - Kerr & King, Battlefield Accessories, Total battle Miniatures. Total Battle Miniatures stuff really impresses me. Their Wester European does not have removable rooves but other than that they have a massive range and it is good looking stuff. It can be ordered from that place we can't mention too. Battlefield Accessories is produced locally and does nice stuff. It's a little on the expensive side but is very, very functional with removable rooves and levels.
Woodland scenics do great tree packs that you just need to add foilage to. I'd recommend a trip to nambour Toyworld for that stuff. Coconut hair (coir I think?) mats can be cut up into fields. You can get these from target. Make sure you get rubber backed. Fences can be made from matchsticks. I'd recommend stocking up on 3mm mdf to make roads, forest bases etc.

@ Earendil - I'm at Sippy Downs and can accomodate multiple games at my place. So If any one needs practice they are most welcome to arrange something with me between club meets.

@ Jon - The major issue I see with your force is it is too 40k style in balance. My krauts would pick it to pieces because it is not mutually supporting. Your tanks will want to get into it but will get eaten by german tanks because there is not enough of them. Your infantry will want to dig in to stay protected but are at the mercy of german tank assaults with no suitable AT. You could make it work but it will want to pull you in two directions. sad.gif
My advice is to replace the tanks with as much AT as possible - 17pdrs where you can.
Instead of 8 25 pdrs have 4 and then 4 x 5" guns. 25pdrs can pin and smoke with mild AT in a pinch but are useless at killing dug in infantry and tanks. That's what the 5" guns are for. Have 8 bunched into one battery restricts your choice of targets. Take an air op. It's essential for allies.
Commandos are ace. Definately keep them in. They are terribly destructive in assault.
And if you want to win games and have no friends take crocodiles. They are the shizzniz. tongue.gif
They flame the crap out of tanks have fantastic front armour (only KTs and Pak43s can penetrate from the front) and still retain their main gun so you don't have to send them to the rear once they use their flamers. The flame throwers are one use only so you use them wisely. But they eat tanks for breakfast!!! Because crocs are slow they suit infantry companies well (plus only inf companies can take them!).
I like brits a lot but I find you can not dilute their forces. Just like the british bulldog you have to latch onto your target and not let go till its dead. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by jas: Aug 26 2010, 09:07 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lighthorse214
post Aug 30 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #40

Well a very fine day of FoW at Bli Bli I must say.

A Narrow Victory for the soviet guard infantry coy over the dreaded 2nd ss Panzer Div.

While Jas's Schwere Panzer Abteilung managed a victory over Stu's Brit Armour.............although I must say Jas's all Kingtiger/Panther list was always going to do well against the shermans......SHAME on you Jas.....and only Stu's third game too.

Never mind Stu, your Shermans can roll all over my Soviet Guards some time soon...although I am working on the 18th armata_PDT_10.gif armata_PDT_10.gif armata_PDT_10.gif
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2014 - 02:18 PM