Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] Alpha Legion
landa
post Oct 5 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 9,066

I've finally gotten around to painting up my Alphas.
The color scheme is a basecoat of Enchanted Blue, followed by a wash of Dark Angels Green, which is dabbed away with a tissue to create a sort of mottled effect. Then a wash of Scorpion Green, also dabbed away, followed by a final wash of Asurmen Blue ink.
The metal is done using the last of my beloved Chestnut Ink. I've yet to find a replacement for it =(

All of the marines have Alpha Legion shoulder pads from GW, and plain Codex Grey bases. I feel I should stick a few rocks onto their bases when I get the chance to make them a bit more interesting.

9 strong chosen squad, that accompanies the lord. I know meltas are usually the watershed for chosen squads, but for me, a stronger aesthetic appeal was more important. So this chosen squad has 2 members equipped with power weapons converted to match the glaives (made from brass rods) of their fellows.
IPB Image

10 strong raptor unit. I found that 5 strong squads tended to act as nothing but ablative armor to help the champ get into combat. Boosting it up to 10 men allows them usually enables them kill as many things as the champ. They have large bases (actually their 25mm slottabases, pinned to 40mm bases, with pebbles covering the join) because they tended to tip over too often.
IPB Image

Predator! Full lascannon kit-out, because I lacked anti-armor in my regular marine squads. I never liked the daemon-head cowlings on the guns, so I left them out. No gizmos, because I couldn't afford anything after buying 3 lascannons.
IPB Image

Still in the works: regular marine squads (with rhinos) and a dread! (as well as polishing off the last of the chosen and raptors)

--------------------
QUOTE(neil @ Sep 22 2011, 09:40 PM) *

This isn't american politics, you can't just make vague references to scary muslims to win a debate.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Captain Rhys
post Oct 5 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,189

Nice work mate, I'll follow this thread closely, Painting looks great, love the colour scheme you've chosen, keep up the great work. armata_PDT_37.gif
+Quote Post
Waggerz
post Oct 5 2010, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,354

good to see more Alpha Legion smile.gif

I think the metalic parts (like the predator tracks and spikes) could use some black or brown wash.

My alphas were done with a straight black wash on anything metallic.

Will keep watching this thread.

--------------------
If a tech priest goes to ground against telsa weapons, does he take no damage?

40K Arbites Army (current) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132589
40K Praetorian Guard (on hold) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116546
Alpha Legion (complete) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71055
Tables from Trash - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130746
+Quote Post
son of horus
post Oct 6 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 9,690

try gryphonne sepia its pritty close to good old chestnut ink it use to smell aswome the pics dont do that paint job justice still have the 2 raptors i got off you i will never paint over them
+Quote Post
landa
post Oct 6 2010, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Thanks for the replies guys, in particular SoH - I didn't expect anyone to come in and say 'the pics don't do the models justice', especially since I don't play in tournies and thus don't know anyone in person =P

I used Badab Black on the metal initially, but it looked kinda cheap - I've seen some truly awful paintjobs that involve painting base colours, then washing the model heavily with Badab Black, sort of like a poor man's dipping. And it looked like that, at which point I switched to chestnut ink.
I admit I hadn't considered giving it a second coat of black wash after the chestnut ink and silver drybrush - its something I'll try on one of the rhinos.

Gryphonne Sepia, huh? Well, I hope it smells better than Chestnut Ink. Chestnut Ink smelled like Betadine, and come to think of it, was the same damn colour, too.

Damn Waggerz, your Alphas look awesome. You obviously put a lot more thought into the bases than I did. Hehe.
Its great to see some more themey Alpha Legion armies around.

I completed the last 2 chosen today, with power weapons. Bit of a dull colour to paint a power weapon, but I decided when I started to stick to a single consistent colour theme throughout the army. (in this case, silver and black weapons)
Alphas always appealed to me as the most organized and unified legion, and I tried to represent that through uniformity.
IPB Image

I need to get that SLR fixed. These phone photos look terrible.

--------------------

This isn't american politics, you can't just make vague references to scary muslims to win a debate.

+Quote Post
son of horus
post Oct 6 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #6

look into a fujifilm fine pix s1600 cost me 250 for the missus new work camra and landa can you plez paint the rest of my raptors so they match i love it i will pay in money or bitz
+Quote Post
ageis
post Oct 7 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,091

good to see more alpha legion around landa.

nice touch with the weapons, reminds me of the falx's from legion.

p.s follow the link to see more alpha legion, even Waggerz is there biggrin.gif

the serpents lair

This post has been edited by ageis: Oct 7 2010, 12:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Waggerz
post Oct 7 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 6,354

QUOTE(ageis @ Oct 7 2010, 01:12 PM) *

the serpents lair

dude!..

First rule about fight club!

(but yeah check it out, race specific forums are always full of neat ideas)

--------------------
If a tech priest goes to ground against telsa weapons, does he take no damage?

40K Arbites Army (current) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132589
40K Praetorian Guard (on hold) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116546
Alpha Legion (complete) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71055
Tables from Trash - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130746
+Quote Post
landa
post Oct 12 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(son of horus @ Oct 6 2010, 05:13 PM) *

look into a fujifilm fine pix s1600 cost me 250 for the missus new work camra and landa can you plez paint the rest of my raptors so they match i love it i will pay in money or bitz

Nah, I got a D700. I was just missing parts (har har, battery holder cover) that prevented it from working. I got it fixed though, finally.
I don't really have time to take painting commissions, but I hit up macmusic22. He does great work, and I'm sure if you mail him the raptors, he'll be able to replicate the colour scheme.

QUOTE(ageis @ Oct 7 2010, 12:12 PM) *

the serpents lair

I can't say I've read Legion. What exactly is a falx?

IPB Image
I finished up another squad of regular shooty-marines over the weekend. They have a pair of plasma guns, and the aspiring champ has a combi-plasma.

IPB Image
I took another picture of the chosen squad and their command rhino, now that I have a proper camera (and not a phone camera like before)

--------------------

+Quote Post
son of horus
post Oct 12 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #10

what are you using on the shafts of your chosen swords are they nails
+Quote Post
landa
post Oct 12 2010, 02:03 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(son of horus @ Oct 12 2010, 01:24 PM) *

what are you using on the shafts of your chosen swords are they nails

They're 1/16" brass rods. You can get them from most hobby stores. Steel nails will damage your clippers - brass is softer, but still strong enough for modelling purposes.
The rings along the shafts are made from circular bits of sprue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ageis
post Oct 13 2010, 08:11 AM
Post #12

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,091

I can't say I've read Legion. What exactly is a falx?

it was a weapon that the nurthene? (bad guys at the start of legion) used, it was a long shaft with a bladed end like a halbeard. the guardsmen had to carry around liquid nitrogen so they could frezze and snap the weapons.

you havnt read legion? ohmy.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blood Angels 666
post Oct 14 2010, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,069

armata_PDT_37.gif Looks good and mabye some more highlightings on the squad and rhino but apart from that great job. armata_PDT_36.gif

--------------------
Tournaments:
BIV 2010 2 wins/1 draw/2 losses =22/50
LORDS OF TERRA 2010 1 win/2 draws/2 losses 41/49
BIV 2011 3 wins/1 draw/1 loss 19/46
LORDS OF TERRA 2011 3 wins/2 losses 29/49
BIV 2012 3 wins/2 losses 20/62
Dentistcon 2 wins/1 losses 5/15
Super Series II Heat 4 2 wins/2 Losses 11/22

"For eleven hundred years, I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy. I have seen the vileness of the alien and the heresy of the mutant. I have witnessed the sin of possession. I have seen all the evil that the galaxy harbors, and I have slain all whose presence defiles the Emperor. I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay..."
Commander Dante Lord of the Blood Angels
+Quote Post
landa
post Oct 15 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(ageis @ Oct 13 2010, 08:11 AM) *

it was a weapon that the nurthene? (bad guys at the start of legion) used, it was a long shaft with a bladed end like a halbeard. the guardsmen had to carry around liquid nitrogen so they could frezze and snap the weapons.

you havnt read legion? ohmy.gif

I don't believe so. I generally don't read GW fiction. Most of their writers can't write worth s**t. They can do static, halting, and formal language like you'd expect from reading a legal contract or a University dissertation, but every single instance filler-story in the codices and armies books reads like it was put together by a computer writing closed sentences.

armata_PDT_37.gif Looks good and mabye some more highlightings on the squad and rhino but apart from that great job. armata_PDT_36.gif

I never learnt how to do highlighting, actually. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
landa
post Oct 22 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #15

IPB Image
Bahaha, look what arrived today!
I intended for him to have a dual CCW + plasmacannon loadout, but eventually I realized what is essentially a water balloon cannon that fires boiling water cannot meet the badassery that is having your hands replaced with chainsaws.
Forgeworld mailed him still attached to huge chunks of resin that will conveniently double as jersey barriers for bases.

IPB Image
Behind him is this guy!
He was painted by the awesome Patrick, from Ministry of Paint. You should go commission him now.
Unfortunately, he is quite possibly too awesome for my lackluster warmachining ability, so he may simply serve as a decoration for my desk rather than suffer the indignity of being pounded to death.
He has a headswap with a reaper, since that head looks nicer. I doubt anyone will mind, his arms are clear enough what kind of 'jack he is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
landa
post Nov 1 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #16

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I finished the dread about a week ago, but I never got around to taking photos until now.

This is the first dread I've actually built and painted, and looking back, it doesn't look like it could actually walk or stab things with any reasonable degree of efficiency.

Probably won't use it much either, as most of my forces are mechanized, so it would have trouble keeping up.
At least its much cheaper from Forge World than GW!

--------------------

+Quote Post
landa
post Nov 6 2010, 01:58 PM
Post #17

IPB Image
No marines today, but I did paint up a bonesinger I got from Squiglord earlier in the week.
He's supposed to have wraithbone spikes bursting out of the base, sort of like he's sending shards of wraithbone through the ground to attack people.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 09:22 PM