Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] Massive Iron Hands army {SM}, An important announcement
OPR8OR
post Dec 26 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,726

Playas

I have decided to start a new force. A force of Space Marines. As a part of my over all scheme in creating a Imperial force, I want to have my Guard as the basis or foundation of the force. I then want to have attached to it some Space Marines and then an element of a Titan Legion with Skitarii in support. To keep with the theme of this idea, I choose the Iron Hands as the space marine chapter that would fill this role. I like them for a few reasons. 1. They are closly aligned with the Adeptus Mechanicus which fits my overall theme of what I want the final Imperial Army to look like (around 12-15k pts wise). 2. The way I want to use them (see below) fits how I believe a space marine army would fight the majority of the time. 3. They have some cool back ground, which appeals to me. Eccentric space marine chapters (they all are I guess) are kinda funky to work your army list around.

So they army I've put together is a ''surgical strike force'' Its a total drop pod deploying army.

Ferrum Vires Clan (Iron Might) are lead by a gifted and recluse Master of the Forge Mont, and his two Lieutenants Brother Techmarine Geb & Onuris. Mont has begun a Quest for Knowledge to deepen his understanding of the Deus Mechanicus & support the Cult Mechanicus in their endeavours. A radical, Mont and his dedicated followers have drifted away from the Iron Hands, and is on an enduring quest to rid humanity of it's flaws. Only acting when he believes that a technological artefact is within his grasp, or an enemy leader has knowledge of the whereabouts of a technological artefact. He believes that by attaining greater knowledge of the Deus Mechanicus, he will be able to single handedly free his brother Space Marines from the tyranny and weakness of the flesh and elevate himself and his brothers to a higher level of condition. Therefore, all other activities are secondary, as they will not lead him to achieving his (and what he believes to be) the Imperium's ultimate goal, freedom from flesh and technological Utopia to bring about a new Golden Age.

Here is the list

HQ

Master of the Forge Mont
Servitor X 1

Elites

Dreadnought
Multi Melta
Heavy Flamer
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Techmarine Geb
Servitor X 1

Techmarine Onuris
Servitor X 1

Troops

Tactical Squad
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
Flamer
Multi-Melta
Power Fist
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Heavy Support

Dreadnought
Multi Melta
Heavy Flamer
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Dreadnought
Multi Melta
Heavy Flamer
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

Dreadnought
Multi Melta
Heavy Flamer
Dedicated Transport
Drop Pod

I have ordered it all now and its in transit. I also order a custom battle foam case to transport it around it. The dready drop pods are the Forgeworld ones. I've got a few cool modeling ideas for this army. Suffice to say, its going to be pretty gritty. Anyways, thats it for now, its now a waiting game for the minis to arrive. '

I'll keep you all posted with updates...

C+C welcome

This post has been edited by OPR8OR: Jun 12 2012, 11:39 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sheep
post Dec 26 2010, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 153

Sounds good, the alpha strike potential of this army vs mech is insane. Also loving that you have the FW pods for the dreads, an expensive option for sure, but it will look so much better then the dread not being able to fit in the pod.

Look forward to pics smile.gif

--------------------
"Oh! My wee-wee seems to have been stricken with rigor mortis"
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
Advocate
post Dec 26 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Hail His Noodley Goodness!

Member No.: 4,426

I suggest a little more variety.
Not essential, but 4 identical squads, 4 identical dreads, 3 (nearly) identical techies...

I would get bored using it pretty quickly.

It's crying out for vulcan to squeeze in...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Dec 26 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #4

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Love some Iron Hands biggrin.gif Got plans for loads of bionics?

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
wishwizard
post Dec 26 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #5

Group: Banned
Member No.: 2,264

dont really care about army composition, however I realy really looking forward to seeing some nicely painted minatures. Im more of a mordian iron guard fan myself but nonetheless iron hands seem pretty cool.
+Quote Post
Advocate
post Dec 27 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #6

I think FW sells iron hands brass stuff. smile.gif

ed: sp

This post has been edited by Advocate: Jan 9 2011, 06:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jan 9 2011, 05:00 PM
Post #7

Quick update...

Just a few things have arrived, that I thought I'd mentioned it

I got this yesterday
IPB Image

Its all of the forge world stuff for the iron hands.

This is it unpacked
IPB Image
I was quite surprised at how big the Dreadnought Drop Pods are. They are MASSIVE!

IPB Image
I dont have a 'normal' drop pod yet to compare their size to, however, they seem much larger. By a significant margin

And heavy too
IPB Image

As usual, the quality of the new stuff is superb
IPB Image
This bionic leg is fantastic

As is this head
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image
Bit disappointed with these... not as robust as I was expecting
IPB Image
IPB Image

more to follow

+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jan 9 2011, 05:01 PM
Post #8

I was particularly happy with these
IPB Image
A4 in size, and absolutely packed with great stuff. I have read from other modelers who have used them that they go on very well too... Quite thin. Also, well packaged for shipping too.
IPB Image

Lastly, I got these too. I brought them for a very good price on an online auction site. Less than $15 inc postage.
IPB Image
They are the help mates for the techmarines and master of the forge

So I plan on cleaning these up tonight and getting them ready for priming too.

I expect over the next week or so more will arrive. The last chunk is the most important one, as it has the Iron hands tactical squads in it.

I am still in two minds about the colour scheme. The more I look at reference material of things that are black, the more I am swaying towards not actually painting them black. I am wanting the to fit in with my Guard army nicely, and those of you that have seen that army, will know that its quite weathered and gritty. I plan on doing a few test minis in the next week to crystallise my thoughts, so you'll probably see them soon-ish too. Keen to hear any feedback too on this, or just your ideas on painting black

Anyways, C+ C welcome
+Quote Post
Advocate
post Jan 9 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #9

Woot!
TOYS!

Hope ya have a ball putting it all together.

re: Painting Black... A lot of folks mix black with another neutral colour (Like blue or just a dark grey mix) so there is a difference between the dark wash crevasses on the model, and the flat tone. Others will know more about this than me, because I just "extreme highlight" and then wash black.

I suggest making one special unit not-black if you want variety. Maybe sternguard, terminators, or characters can be differentiated with a variant scheme...
smile.gif

Cheers

PS: don't forget to rinse the resin parts in soapy water.

--------------------
+Quote Post
sheep
post Jan 9 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #10

You could paint them a light colour, like a white or a bone, and call it a "day world camo" scheme, basically the night world idea you see in the FW books only flipped 180 degrees.

Look forward to the first models mate.

--------------------
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jan 11 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Advocate @ Jan 9 2011, 06:00 PM) *

Woot!
TOYS!

Hope ya have a ball putting it all together.

re: Painting Black... A lot of folks mix black with another neutral colour (Like blue or just a dark grey mix) so there is a difference between the dark wash crevasses on the model, and the flat tone. Others will know more about this than me, because I just "extreme highlight" and then wash black.

I suggest making one special unit not-black if you want variety. Maybe sternguard, terminators, or characters can be differentiated with a variant scheme...
smile.gif

Cheers

PS: don't forget to rinse the resin parts in soapy water.

Thanks, I am considering taking that option. Instead of painting them black, painting them a dark grey. All of the reference material I've looked at suggest to me not to paint them black. Most things that are black, appear to be various shades of grey

QUOTE(sheep @ Jan 9 2011, 11:06 PM) *

You could paint them a light colour, like a white or a bone, and call it a "day world camo" scheme, basically the night world idea you see in the FW books only flipped 180 degrees.

Look forward to the first models mate.

Hadn't considered that. Another option I might go for, is actually painting them a very dark metallic silver. So they look like they are made of Iron.

I have to say, cleaning up these Dreadnought drop pods is a mission and a half. Massive job.

Further C+C welcome
+Quote Post
Rusty Magos
post Jan 12 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 9,858

I hate painting black! It's so easy to over highlight. On the flip side, if done well it can look great and might be a nice contrast to your guard. I'd love to see some concept models up next to the guard to see how they look.

And not that I'm at all biased but you should definitely jump ahead to the admech part of the master plan biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jan 14 2011, 02:51 PM
Post #13

Brothers

Just another quick update. Some more minis arrived today. Master of the Forge Mont, and his two Lieutenants Geb & Onuris. I got them second hand from a trader in the UK for about $25au. They need a bit of cleaning, but they are complete, and with some elbow grease will come up fine

IPB Image

I am seriously contemplating putting helmets on Geb & Onuris. It doesnt make sense that they'd go into combat without helmets.

For those of you that are curious, this is what I do to clean metal minis

IPB Image

Hit'em wit the old oven cleaner. After about an hour or so in this gear, the paint just comes right off. Luckily for me too, the previous owners of both of these minis really caked on the paint, which means it comes off a whole lot easier.

I got two emails yesterday letting me know that the last two important parts of my army have been shipped. So with any luck they'll arrive early next week and I'll be able to get them prepped for painting.

I've finished cleaning the dreddy drop pods and will be starting the assembly process probably over the weekend.

Out
+Quote Post
Boon
post Jan 14 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,080

Gah, I hate seeing people getting massive shipments of goodies. My jealousy rages!, Why haven't you got a family to feed and a mortgage...

This post has been edited by Boon: Jan 14 2011, 03:34 PM

--------------------
For more ravings, hit up my blog
theBoonarmies
-
Updated 30/01/15
+Quote Post
Barn
post Jan 14 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #15

Noob for Life

Member No.: 6,870

QUOTE(Boon @ Jan 14 2011, 04:34 PM) *

Gah, I hate seeing people getting massive shipments of goodies. My jealousy rages!, Why haven't you got a family to feed and a mortgage...

lol i know your pain tongue.gif

This is looking really awesome smile.gif Im interested to see how big the dread drop pod is, cant wait for pics!

--------------------
[40K]Space Wolves, Raven Guard, Grey Knights, Flesh Tearers.
[Fantasy]High Elves, Wood Elves.
[BB]Lizard's
[WM]Cygnar, Mercs
+Quote Post
Darth Eddie
post Jan 15 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 8,840

Tell you what would finish this army off is the old limited edition Iron Hands Iron Father model.
Want one?

--------------------
IF ONE OF MY POSTS UPSETS YOU, GET A TISSUE AND DRY YOUR EYES PRINCESS.

ITS NOT POLITICS, ITS PAINTING.
+Quote Post
nightstone49
post Jan 15 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,487

Nice little tip regarding the removal of paint on metal figures.

Need to remember that one.
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jan 17 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #18

Brothers

This is a WIP update of the Dreadnought drop pods.

So after a mission and a half cleaning these bad boys up, I came up with a plan to assemble them. I wasnt sure how I was going to assemble them to get the best result painting wise. So I studied the model and came up with a plan to have them in 3 sub assemblies. The 1st would be the ''air frame'' , the second would be the doors, and the last the base.

Also, I wanted to ensure that the models were very strong. So I decided to araldite them together, and pin them. So, below are the different stages of the construction... I'll walk you thru them...

Prior to all this was cleaning, filling, straightening etc...

Stage one was just getting all of the brass rod into place at the main anchor points. There was the top fin anchor point, from the fin to the motor, and the bottom anchor point, which is the fin to the base. See below

Top fin anchor point
IPB Image

Motor anchor point
IPB Image

Base anchor point
IPB Image

Next up I had to glue to motor to the fins. To do this, I decided to just attach two fins, so that I could then easily attach the base to the two fins and motor. Then once that had dried, I could attach the last fin with out complications. I attached all three fins, for ease of holding it all together, however only applied glue to two fins

Here it is
IPB Image

Once it had dried, it looked like this...
IPB Image

Then I test fitted the base to this sub assembly
IPB Image

Once this was test fitted, and I was happy, I then attached the last fin and waited...
IPB Image

Family shot
IPB Image

All done... very, very strong
IPB Image

Next I pinned the landing ramps to a wooden plinth for painting...
IPB Image

more to follow
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jan 17 2011, 05:09 PM
Post #19

IPB Image

IPB Image

And then attached the other sub assemblies with double sided tape to wooden plinths for painting
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

So thats it for now...

Really looking forward to getting the rest of the minis.

I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle the plastic drop pods. Whether I'll do them the same as these, or if a different method will be required.

If you have any thoughts, please let me know...

C+C Welcome

Out
+Quote Post
sheep
post Jan 17 2011, 07:20 PM
Post #20

Very well thought out assembly guide mate, I'll look back here if I everr buy some smile.gif

--------------------
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 03:01 AM