Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ANUWTF 2011, Annual Warhammer Tournament
tbenk
post Feb 12 2011, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 10,752

Greetings All,

My name is Ben Halligan and I am the organiser for ANUWTF 2011. This is an annual tournament run by the ANU wargaming society and has been a successful event for several years now. We pride ourselves on a friendly but competitive tournament, with a focus on all aspects of Warhammer. A few basic details are:

- Tournament is 2250 points, using the current 8th edition of Warhammer
- Held on the 9th and 10th of April, at the Australian National University campus, Canberra
- Both days people will be expected to arrive at 8am, with games beginning at 8:30am
- $40 entry, with lunch and soft drinks provided both days
- 6 Games - 5 single, 1 Doubles over 2 days
- Variety of scenarios
- Players pack will be available in the next few weeks, with army lists due for inspection by 1st of April
- Points allocated for generalship, sportsman ship, army selection and painting
- Prizes are:

1st Place Overall
2nd Place Overall
3rd Place Overall
Best General
Best Sportsman
Best Painted (judged by me)
The Max Wallace Encouragement "Better Luck Next Time" (Wooden Spoon) Award

Note: Keep in mind, like many tournaments I like a spread of prizes. If you are eligible to win multiple prizes, then you will be awarded the highest one, and then the next person on the list will receive the other prize.

What you should bring on the weekend:
• Yourself (try not to forget this)
• An army of little plastic, metal, wooden, platinum men, monsters, mages etc (again, obviously)
• Army book (the one relevant to the army your taking – duh)
• Dice, including scatter dice if your army requires one
• Tape measure
• Templates, if your army requires them
• Movement trays for units (paper movement trays are acceptable)
• Army list to show opponents
• 8th ed Warhammer rulebook

We've had excellent turn outs each year, and all in all had great feedback about the tournament. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at:

benjamin_halligan@hotmail.com

More details and updates can be found at http://anuwargamingsociety.proboards.com/index.cgi

(Note that the current details found in White Dwarf are incorrect - the dates are the 9th and 10th and it is $40 dollars - Games workshop did not update these details in time for White Dwarf this year)

Thanks all!

Ben

This post has been edited by tbenk: Feb 27 2011, 11:03 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 15 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #2

Greetings All...again!,

I've already had a few responses of interest about this years ANUWTF especially in consideration to how restrictions might work. Keeping this fact in mind I am going to start posting up restrictions which I 100% guarantee will be in the players pack. The intention will still to have a players pack within 2 weeks (def before march) however I know some people are keen as mustard to work out what kind of army they will be taking.

Here is a few things to note:

- This really is a friendly tournament, restrictions will be leaning towards people not bringing armies that are meant to utterly pulverise everyone single thing in its path.
- Whilst I haven't as of yet worked out the kinks and bumps expect restrictions ensuring that we don't see double large monsters and gun lines floating around. You can take this into consideration whilst I decide on the exact wording of the restrictions.
- I'm generally not a fan of armies built around a mage, his magic items, and what spells he can take and devastate the other persons army with. This isn't "magehammer". I'm again not sure how this will pan out, whether simply to ensure people are penalised for a "magehammer" focus or ban certain items.
- There will be scenarios and there will be secondary objectives

Anyway that was a lot of talking, but I am trying to prepare people - 8th edition has turned a lot of warhammer on its head, and I'm trying to ensure a fun, friendly environment, but cater to people who like some competitiveness.

NOW LISTEN CLOSELY!

GUARANTEED RESTRICTIONS SO FAR (100%)

- no power scroll
- no special characters
- no more than 4 warmachines
Note: Warmachines are usually defined under the rulebook, if you have queries about what a particular unit type is classified then just PM me
- Maximum unit size is 50 for models costing under 10 points, 40 for models costing 10-15 points, and 30 for models costing over 15 points. Monstrous Infantry are limited to 10 models per unit. (stolen from CanCon restrictions, I know)
- no rare choices over 100 points can be duplicated

Rules amendments:

- Irresistible force (and the subsequent miscast) will occur when 3 or more 6's are rolled when attempting to cast the spell. This differs from the book which requires only 2 6's to be rolled.

Yes the list is small right now, but it will be updated quickly in the next week or so. I'm simply giving people who really want to start planning a head start. Good luck with your planning and army building!

Ben

This post has been edited by tbenk: Feb 20 2011, 09:43 PM
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 15 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #3

For all those O&G players out there, you will be using the NEWEST edition - it is getting released in March.

Lists should be built around that book - not a weird hybrid!

I know for some this might seem like a blow to your ability to get a fully painted army up in time for the tournament, with the edition of new models and alterations to current units. I'm afraid thats just the way it goes, but the painting scores do take such changes into consideration (i.e. sudden changes in lists, late additions to lists).

For all you Tomb King players, my bad for holding a tournament in April tongue.gif You'll just have to wait for May!
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 16 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #4

This is the painting criteria - its pretty clear (hopefully) and simple. ANUWTF tries to encourage both people who have time and incentive to really spend a lot of time painting, but also people who might not have as much time, or enjoy other aspects of the hobby more. Painting makes up 10% of the overall score.

Painting: (out of 10)

This is a basic checklist – hopefully it is quite self-explanatory. The division between “basic” and “advanced” is an attempt to ensure that everyone gets points.

Basic is for those beginning a new army, or do not necessarily have the time or incentive to spend a lot of time painting.

Advanced is there to reward people who have put a lot of effort into their armies, working hard to meet the criteria I have stated.

The painting scores will be marked by me – if people wonder what kind of standards I might be thinking of I can provide photos of armies that I would expect to score full marks.

Basic Standard:

(1) Army is painted – Basecoat colours which define different parts of model i.e. skin, metal, clothes

(2) Army is painted to a reasonable standard – Basic Highlighting and Washes

(2) Army is painted with a cohesive scheme – Themed/same bases, markings linking units, heraldry etc

Advanced Standard:

(1) Entire army is painted, but some units are painted to a higher standard – clear details, blending, shading, layered highlighting*

*This is intend to accommodate people who can’t paint up new units in time for the tournament but should still be acknowledge for the high standards in the rest of the army

(2) Entire army is painted to a high standard – clear details, blending, shading, layered highlighting

(2) Army has a particularly defining feature, which makes it exemplary – striking coordinated colour scheme, clear theme
+Quote Post
ĆON
post Feb 17 2011, 04:59 AM
Post #5

Edition Change Skeptic

Member No.: 222

Looking forward to this!

--------------------

"Hail ĆON - Slayer of the Scrubs"

Full Disclosure - Yes, I really am a scrub :)

WHFB 8.5 Community FaceBook Group

40K Chapter Unapproved FaceBook Group
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 17 2011, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Greetings All,

From your 2250 points you also need to select 1000 points to be used in the team game. Units and characters need to be selected from the army you have chosen, although characters and units may choose to remove magic items BUT not purchased new ones.

Yes there will be a team game, 3rd game on the 1st day. I know some people don't like them, don't like them played at that time etc etc

Also I'm not that poor at maths to realise that 1000 is not half of 2250. Team games can often take longer due to the nature of playing with 4 people not 2. Having it set at 2000 points makes life easier.

It is a tradition, and we have had a lot of good feedback in the past. It has NO influence on your battle scores, it is an excellent chance of meeting people in an even more friendly environment, and having a chance to see more armies, how they play.

Note: I understand some armies might struggle a little with "halving" their army if they have invested in high point generals (which are naturally high points, not just tooled up) like slann, greater demons, sorcerer lords and therefore have few heroes or none. If this is the case send me your lists, and we'll have a chat about your options of bringing in a low level character. Please do not however waste my time by sending in options that include ridiculously tooled up heroes that are only 100 points cheaper than your expensive lord, or have silly combinations of items etc. This option is me recognised the restrictions some books have on the concept of this team game, and me trying to accommodate you!

This post has been edited by tbenk: Feb 17 2011, 02:22 PM
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 17 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Victory Conditions and points spread:

This is a work in progress, I haven't decided exactly what scenarios and how they might be altered.

The basic spread (unsubtly stolen from CanCon, sorry guys) will be:

Victory Conditions: Difference in victory points (this is how I will distribute generalship points based on the difference in victory points)

0-100 = 8/8
101-200 = 9/7
201-400 = 10/6
401-600 = 11/5
601-900 = 12/4
901-1200 = 13/3
1201-1600 = 14/2
1601-2000 = 15/1
2001+ = 16/0

This score is out of 20 - there will also be 4 secondary conditions worth 1 point each

+1 point for keeping you general alive
+1 point for killing your opponents most expensive UNIT
+1 point for having a standard in the enemies deployment zone at the end of the game
+1 point for preventing any enemies standards ending the game in your deployment zone

Generals score will be added together (5 games) and divided by 2. The maximum therefore you can achieve is 50 battle points (thats a 2001+ victory every battle and all secondary objectives completed every battle).

I'll be updating the secondary objectives once I decided which ones I might want to use, or if I want to try something different - they WILL be used though!

A reminder that generalship points are not used for the team game, however sportsman scores will be still taken from this game.

Ben

This post has been edited by tbenk: Feb 20 2011, 09:38 PM
+Quote Post
Lord Erik
post Feb 17 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,831

What is the purpose of putting a limit on the number of models in a unit? I've seen it used in several tournaments but I haven't seen anywhere that explains why. What is it trying to achieve?
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 17 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #9

Few reasons that I have seen so far:

1) Some armies are still restricted with unit sizes - no many now, but it still is a problem
2) I personally don't like the concept of massive batteries of low level troops (i mean 60-100) acting as a delivery system for powerful mages and characters. The entire battle becomes about beating this one unit
3) This follows on from the other point - many tournaments are restricting this because under the current system some armies form massive deathstar units which are nearly impossible to defeat due to have the inclusion of certain types of characters, items, or support units which makes the unit unbreakable, regenerate, high magic resistance etc

Having 100 models delivering a powerful hero whilst been immune to any kind of psychological warfare, or resistant to magic isn't generally a fun thing to vs and I personally don't want to see battles of giant deathstar units hitting each other. Smaller "deathstar" units are more vulnerable and can be dealt with more easily

I so far haven't had many people complaining about it - I am certainly not suggesting you are (Lord Erik), but those are a couple of reasons I've heard before.
+Quote Post
Supergeek
post Feb 18 2011, 04:01 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 62

I'm curious about the team game (being a total WHFB tournament noob) Does the 1000 points have to have meet the normal minimum requirements (General and 2 units) and if so can you reduce the size of units for the 1000 pt game?

--------------------
"What part of phnglui mglw'nafl Cthulhu r'lyeh w'gah nagl fhtagn don't you understand?"
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 18 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Minimum requirements are still needed - a general and 2 units.

Units can be reduced from their larger counterpart in the 2250 force - you cannot however give them new banners, items, command, weapons. Only a size change.

People shouldn't stress too much about the team game it it after all doesn't impact on battle/generalship points biggrin.gif

Thats not to suggest people cannot ask questions smile.gif Just reminding people
+Quote Post
Shadow Fox
post Feb 18 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,578

In the team game are we allowed to drop Vampire traits?

This post has been edited by Shadow Fox: Feb 18 2011, 07:20 PM

--------------------
--Campaigning against the mistreatment of Chaos Dwarves in Fantasy--
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 18 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #13

Any upgrade that a character has can be dropped - vampire traits, slann powers, beastmen mutations etc etc Note however again, new ones cannot be picked up!
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 18 2011, 09:46 PM
Post #14

COMP:

this isn't the official details of the comp, just a general idea of what is going to happen. Basically comp is going to be split into two parts. The first part will be a list of different points allocate to the structure of your army. Most of these will be based on how many points is put into:

Lords
Heroes
Core
Special
Rare
Magic Items/Vampire traits/Gifts etc etc

And also whether you spent more points on one section than an other etc etc

Comp will be out of 20. Although I haven't decide how much the 2nd part will be valued, part 1 will be a minimum 10 points out of 20, maybe more I haven't decided.

The second part of the points will be allocated by myself, and probably the assistance of neutral judges who will investigate each list. We'll be looking for how competitive your list feels based on what you have taken.

Here is a few things to keep in mind

1) Comp guidelines are not compulsory - they are just numbers you can shoot for extra points by building your army in a certain way
2) The judges who are helping me are are going to remain anonymous - they are to assist me, in the end I will have the final word about the scores and decisions. This means if you have complaints come to me, don't try to seek out these guys.
3) I don't intend to score too harshly, but I will be looking closely at lists. I didn't have the incentive to ban numerous items, or create so many restrictions people lists. That doesn't mean I'm ignorant of nasty combinations of items that people might try to include, or the inclusion of certain units/monsters/war machines all in the same army which makes the army lean towards the competitive side. The inclusion of the "2nd" score is so people who want to take a gamble and take a more competitive army in a friendly tournament might score more generalship points by winning more, but will lose a few in comp as well.

I'm afraid I'm not going to give individual analysis of what combinations in which armies I might impose penalties on, nor can you send me your lists to get "checked" for what kind of comp you might get. This might seem a bit ambiguous now, but you'll probably get more of an idea of what I'm looking for when I released the exact points values for the "1st" section of comp scores.

As per usual if you have any questions feel free to e-mail me or PM me!
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 20 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #15

This is the sports score system - sports score will be for every game, including the team game. The options are based on the general vibe of the game - I give examples of things to potentiality keep in mind, but in the end it is YOUR decision which option to give them, based on what standard you felt the game was played in relation to sportsman. If you think they were awesome independant of the description I gave give them an "A"!. If you thought they were half way between awesome and terrible give them a "C" and so forth. The descriptions I give are not even real guidelines.

Sports:
In each game, you will rate your opponent (or opponents for the team game).

Here is a selection of yes/no question that you can think about during the game, and keeping them in mind during the game might help you make your selection.
Yes/No questions:
• Did your opponent have an army list to show you and the appropriate
codex for their army?
• Did your opponent come prepared with dice, templates, and a tape
measure for the game?
• Did your opponent cheat?
• Were there any rules arguments that were not resolved in a friendly and courteous manner?
• Did your opponent win/draw/lose gracefully?
• Did you have fun during the game?
• Do you think your opponent had fun during the game?
• Did you run out of time?

Then select one of these options. These options are based not necessarily specific criteria but a general vibe of the atmosphere of the game and your opponent.

A) I had an extremely fun battle, independent of who won or lost. My opponent often pointed out things, which I missed that were to my advantage, and really enhanced the gaming experience. I really hope success for my opponent in this and future tournaments. I expect them to compete for best sportsman and will glare furiously at the TO if they don’t get it
B ) I had a good time with my opponent and felt that the game flowed well. Problems were resolved quite easily. My opponent made me comfortable with fighting against this army with clear explanations about units and abilities. I’m pleased to of fought this opponent and would actively try to play them again at a tournament or friendly game
C) My opponent had everything he required, and I felt that they understood enough of their army to ensure that the game kept up at a reasonable pace. Issues often took some discussion, but were done calmly and settled with a friendly consensus. I wouldn’t say no to a game with this opponent if approached, and would probably approach them for another game
D) My opponent did not have everything they required, and often had to borrow multiple different items. They had to check numerous times simply universal rules, army wide rules and items used in the army list. The pace of the game staggered multiple times, and they often showed a poor understanding of the basic rules. They consistently made tactically errors which they wanted to reverse, or appeared to do things that were incorrect via the rules, but to their benefit. I wouldn’t not want to fight this opponent again unless I felt they had improved their knowledge of the gaming system
E) My opponent constantly argued about rules, failed to show the army book for clarifications on rules about their army. They seemed to stall during their turn, whilst also attempted to hurry your turn with exasperated comments, sounds and gestures. At times my opponent literally attempted to cheat, or bend the rules in their favour. I would not play this person again under any circumstances

At the rate I'm going with the players pack I'd say it'll be done by the end of the week (90% chance) so keep tuned!

This post has been edited by tbenk: Feb 20 2011, 10:24 PM
+Quote Post
Shadow Fox
post Feb 21 2011, 07:44 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 6,578

QUOTE(tbenk @ Feb 20 2011, 11:22 PM) *

This is the sports score system - sports score will be for every game, including the team game. The options are based on the general vibe of the game - I give examples of things to potentiality keep in mind, but in the end it is YOUR decision which option to give them, based on what standard you felt the game was played in relation to sportsman. If you think they were awesome independant of the description I gave give them an "A"!. If you thought they were half way between awesome and terrible give them a "C" and so forth. The descriptions I give are not even real guidelines.
Sports:
In each game, you will rate your opponent (or opponents for the team game).

Here is a selection of yes/no question that you can think about during the game, and keeping them in mind during the game might help you make your selection.
Yes/No questions:
• Did your opponent have an army list to show you and the appropriate
codex for their army?
• Did your opponent come prepared with dice, templates, and a tape
measure for the game?
• Did your opponent cheat?
• Were there any rules arguments that were not resolved in a friendly and courteous manner?
• Did your opponent win/draw/lose gracefully?
• Did you have fun during the game?
• Do you think your opponent had fun during the game?
• Did you run out of time?

Then select one of these options. These options are based not necessarily specific criteria but a general vibe of the atmosphere of the game and your opponent.

A) I had an extremely fun battle, independent of who won or lost. My opponent often pointed out things, which I missed that were to my advantage, and really enhanced the gaming experience. I really hope success for my opponent in this and future tournaments. I expect them to compete for best sportsman and will glare furiously at the TO if they don’t get it
B ) I had a good time with my opponent and felt that the game flowed well. Problems were resolved quite easily. My opponent made me comfortable with fighting against this army with clear explanations about units and abilities. I’m pleased to of fought this opponent and would actively try to play them again at a tournament or friendly game
C) My opponent had everything he required, and I felt that they understood enough of their army to ensure that the game kept up at a reasonable pace. Issues often took some discussion, but were done calmly and settled with a friendly consensus. I wouldn’t say no to a game with this opponent if approached, and would probably approach them for another game
D) My opponent did not have everything they required, and often had to borrow multiple different items. They had to check numerous times simply universal rules, army wide rules and items used in the army list. The pace of the game staggered multiple times, and they often showed a poor understanding of the basic rules. They consistently made tactically errors which they wanted to reverse, or appeared to do things that were incorrect via the rules, but to their benefit. I wouldn’t not want to fight this opponent again unless I felt they had improved their knowledge of the gaming system
E) My opponent constantly argued about rules, failed to show the army book for clarifications on rules about their army. They seemed to stall during their turn, whilst also attempted to hurry your turn with exasperated comments, sounds and gestures. At times my opponent literally attempted to cheat, or bend the rules in their favour. I would not play this person again under any circumstances

At the rate I'm going with the players pack I'd say it'll be done by the end of the week (90% chance) so keep tuned!

Um if
Did your opponent cheat?

arises wouldn't that sort of encompass them all?

Also movement trays optional?

--------------------
--Campaigning against the mistreatment of Chaos Dwarves in Fantasy--
+Quote Post
gavint
post Feb 22 2011, 07:49 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,243

Rules amendments:

- Irresistible force (and the subsequent miscast) will occur when 3 or more 6's are rolled when attempting to cast the spell. This differs from the book which requires only 2 6's to be rolled.

Do we really need this? huh.gif I understand trying to soften the effect of magic in the game and don't mind restrictions and /or banning items but would rather the actual rules was not altered.

...but maybe that's just me biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Feb 27 2011, 11:02 AM
Post #18

@ Shadow Fox

The definitions laid out by me are just descriptions of potential vibes. In the end it is your decision on what scale you feel the persons sportsman performance falls on. 1-5, pretty simple in many regards. The description is NOT a set of criteria to follow.

Although not listed I'd say movement trays are necessary for any unit larger than 5 models. A player who is a bit patient and careful can easily cut out a piece of paper and use that as a movement tray and still successfully move their units.

I've amended the expected things to bring in light of this question. As I've just said there the standard of movement tray isn't high, and I won't mark armies with paper ones badly in painting (although those with themed movement trays will be acknowledged)

@ gavint

I wasn't keen on making many rule changes, however here is the deal. I had a choice between banning a whole host of magic items which give certain armies a ridiculous advantage in the magic phase. Or I could dampen the magic phase a bit. I chose to dampen the magic phase. I have seen this concept harshly judge in other tournaments - the irony is that through closer inspection a lot of the loudest objections were from people who would directly suffer from the rule change. People who fully intend to bring a lvl 4 mage with 100 points of insane magic items and crush their opponent in the magic phase. And if the rest of their army did something, its a bonus.

I'm not suggesting you were bringing and army like that, or even raising or illustrating a point similar to mine. I'm simply indicating my intentions for this rule change. It'll dampen the magic phase a little, without crushing it and this way I don't need to sift through multiple army books and posts complaining about me banning magic items.

People should note that taking certain magic combinations will be scrutinised in the comp score. Don't think that the lack of restrictions on taking certain items doesn't mean I'm not aware of them.
+Quote Post
Lord Erik
post Feb 27 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,831

Does the 3 6's also apply to irresistible force on dispel as well as casting?

I tried out the 3 6's rule the other night in a game where my opponent had Dark Elves with a lvl4 and a lvl2 (I had a Gray Seer and lvl1 Plague Priest). I actually quite liked the effect - you had to concentrate more on actually getting the spell off rather than just throwing dice and hoping for double 6. It saw us both using a lot more of the smaller, easier to cast spells and not many of the 15+ and above spells.
+Quote Post
tbenk
post Mar 1 2011, 06:45 PM
Post #20

Comp:
I'm using math-based comp as I believe it's easy to mark, easy to use, and easy to follow. Although it's not the fairest of systems, I believe it suffices in most circumstances in avoiding ridiculous army lists.
TO scoring (out of 20):
(2) 750 Spent on Core choices
(2) Less than 450 points in Lords
(2) Less than 800 points in Special
(2) Less than 400 points in Rare
(2) Less than 350 points in Heroes
(2) Less than 300 points on magic items
(8) TO discretion (NOTE: This will usually be 1.5 out of 3, with less or more for noticeably "hard" or "soft" lists or when I think something else should really be balanced out)
Obviously there are some ways of abusing this, but I'll take that into consideration for my TO discretion mark so don't think you can get around it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2019 - 12:00 AM