morsla
post Mar 3 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Mostly here for the painting...
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

Changes to Buy/Swap/Sell and Off Topic subforums

On Wednesday, 30 March 2011, WargamerAU will be changing access permissions for the Buy/Swap/Sell and Off Topic forums.

Forum members in the Veteran, Support Member and Support Trader usergroups will be unaffected. The Veteran Member group is automatically applied to regular accounts when they reach a certain post count (currently 100, though this number is subject to change).

New members in the Members usergroup will be unable to access Off Topic, and will not be able to start new topics (i.e. offer items for sale) in Buy/Swap/Sell after March 30th.

This change is being made for two reasons:

Buy/Swap/Sell is experiencing increasing problems with new account holders that do not complete trades, leaving people out of pocket or missing models. In some cases, these problem traders have previously been banned from WargamerAU, and have created new accounts to continue ripping people off.

Off Topic is an extremely high-maintenance forum for the moderating team, and is frequently used by banned members creating new accounts to continue the arguments that led to their original accounts being removed.

The forum changes address both cases by restricting access to new accounts, allowing these subforums to continue being used by established members of the WargamerAU community.

I'm a new member and have lots of trades on the go - what can I do?

We're giving four weeks notice to help people complete ongoing trades, and potentially reach the Veteran Member group if they want to continue trading immediately after March 30th. If you still have unfinished trades by the deadline, your PM access is unaffected - the other party can continue to post updates in the B/S/S thread on your behalf.

I've been on this site for years and don't post much at all - how can I keep my access to those forums?

There are some very long-term forum members who read often and rarely post... in these cases, we are able to make exceptions. If you have had an account here for over 12 months and don't have 100 posts yet, contact morsla via PM and we will sort things out.

Edit: Members added to Veteran Members group, updated 29/5/12.

NOTE: If your name hasn't been added here, check to see if you have "Group: Veteran Members" underneath your user icon. Many of the people who have PM'd me are already in this group...

(sarcasm)
24thPraetorian
aceofspades
adam_29
AdamRasz
admiralw
ahenobarbus
aliba_dare
andyfb
Angeliz
Arryn
ashley
Astroelmo
Athen18
avar
awesomeshotdude
Baloo
banzai_travis
Barakus
beardygit
Bejebas
Bendragon
bennyall6s
Beest
billo3025
Blackrose
Blade
Blinard
Blind-X
Blue Army
bdave351
big_grant
blue
Bombspastic
Bomma
bowlingshane
brayo
Brelly
Brumaz
brushforhire
burkey42
Ceasar409
calman
can'o'whoopass
carson
cavanor
CeilingCat
Chadwiko
chambo
Chapter_master
Chris
Cthulhu
Crofty
Chronodts
Cyph
dark_andrew
DaveAsp
davidbowie
Davout
Davros
DawnTreader
Death Blade
Demetrius
diabloelmo
diomedes
Direwolf103
disturbeddaniel
dkou
don007
Doughnuts
Dpow
Dtram
dracokirk
dr_nick22
Dr_kebab
dulydude
dustfp
dustfrost
dutch
Eardrum73
emptycoffin
eowyn
Erryll Flynn
Essej
evadestruction
FearMeMortals
Fenriswulf
Ferret
Fizgig79
flaminlasbolt
freakshow
for_the_emperor
froG
frontier psychiatrist
Garou
Gamedor
goose
Gore
grail666
greatwhitezulu
greenfuji
greydon
grubuzz
Gubz
Hamish
Hammer_Zeit
Hawke
Heer
Hekal Xul
himynameisho
Hoges
Horus the Warmaster
Idris
iflylo
Immortal Barrinvorg
intrancewetrust82
Ironarm
Iron Father
itchmonkey
Ivanng
J3ST3R_W
Jables
jansenm
jaysta
J.D.Entropy
Jegeth
jezzami
Jianaran
Jingizu
Joel_6172
JustinR
Jetforce
jim8o
josh_676
kaeota
kanhead
Karmatech
kendar
Keys_44
kharn_the_slaughterer
kittani
Knackered
Kolonel K
Krooq
kthx
Little Horus
little-horus
loadmaster666
Lockable
LoganGoldmane
lollerkeet
Lord Hawthorn
magus
MarkJ
mastadon
Master Chris
marell le fou
McKillington
megafriction
mentok27
Methusela
milo_00
mister_blahblah
Mitch311
Mohawk
moltan
morry
MrPendulum
Musashi
Muzfish4
N3Z
Nahka
Naidan
Nank
Nayfan
Neal
nerflung
Nescent
Nethershadow
netnomad66
Nidar
Nightboat
Nimmers
nmnmnm103
Oceanborn
ortron
Outcast
papabretto
PapaRubbery
peidarn
pessa
PhilouV
Phunkmanyeman
Polemarch
Power Hungry Monkey
Psionik
Rabban
RaccoonCity
Razz
Remoah
Rhino
Richi
riot_2307
Rogue242
Rogue Pilot
rolabl
roricon
ruds
runestormmage
samman
Scarecrow
Schlumpfsa
scotty wazza
scrubba
Sedohoya
seraphiel
Sgt-mike-larry
SHaRD
shimsham
Sir Jadon
Skedarman
Sneek
snitter
soots
Sophia
Soundwave
Spongie
spriggan77
squid
stcxl
stepo
stevenr1230
Stimpy77
Stormclaw
stu8348
sump
swirlyperth
Swooptroop
swordsman
tallmantim
Tas
Teh Kev
tezzajw
Thommo
Thor87
Tiger1
Timmy
tin_snips
the_dropbear
Tossy
trav06
Trav_J_Maher
Trugdor
TyRaide
underhivetrader
Valdor'eth
Virral
Vulkan
Yaevin
Yaleling
Woo
w00f135
wilsenator
Wotsnik
Xbeyna
XxSolitairexX
ZarkinFrood
ZenithFleet

--------------------
Miniatures Coordinator: PAX Australia 2014 (Oct31-Nov2). You can find rego information here

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

My Admin voice is red.
Warmachine and Hordes Event Calendar (find out what's on around Australia!)
[Epic: Iyanden] [Infinity: Nomads|Qapu Khalqi] [Alkemy: Aurloks|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM: Mercenaries|Cryx] [Hordes: Skorne]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dr.McNinja
post Mar 3 2011, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Doctorate in Ninjaness

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,229

If you have over a million posts, will you have extra access to those forums?

Anyway, this is a good change. Nice and simple. Although I wish OT was visible to the public but posting restrictions in place as you described. I used to be able to link to hilarious topics but now I cant.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Dr.McNinja: Mar 3 2011, 03:24 PM

--------------------
Consistently sounding like an idiot isn't good trolling: its consistently sounding like an idiot.

| (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

HODOR™ HODOR HODOR

Hodor Hodor Hodor
+Quote Post
radle
post Mar 4 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,091

Two questions:

Does this mean BSS is completely off-limits to newbies, or only with respect to STARTING topics? i.e. can they still buy / query / PM ? If new people can't view / buy, then sellers are missing a market, especially since a fair proportion of newbies may be in the market for models. The risk seems low, as the buyer usually ponies up first, so the worst case is having to re-list.

Is it worth (and are mods willing to take on the extra workload) requiring support members to provide real name, phone # and address? That would give extra surety in trading, but admittedly only for support members.

Just my $0.02.

--------------------
QFT of the week:
QUOTE(Saleh'Uddin)
In general, if it sounds like some guano insane villagers on a witchhunt, its probably not a Sha'riah countenance thing.

Army: Eldar
WTB: Scorpion exarch with claw. Wraithsword.
+Quote Post
_Simon_
post Mar 4 2011, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 657

Is it worth (and are mods willing to take on the extra workload) requiring support members to provide real name, phone # and address? That would give extra surety in trading, but admittedly only for support members.

Sounds great until someone steals this information database, and takes out a few credit cards in your name. The cost of the security required to protect the information wouldn't be worth it. With that information they could potentially do some damage, esp if it has info for the 9k of members from this site.

The police also aren't likely to drive to someones house and arrest them for stealing $30 worth of models from you its hardly worth their time. Unless that person stole thousands of dollars by ripping off many people the police are unlikely to be interested and even then you won't get your $30 back.

I think whats being introduced is good and should solve alot of problems, you basically need to be somewhat involved in the community to be able to trade with it. If your looking to rip people off its going to be annoying to have to get a post count up each time you make a new ID and mods can moniter for spamming users to bann/block them hopefully before they rip you off.

--------------------
mmm errr arrrh

three words that answer any question!
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Mar 5 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #5

~Abracadabra~

Member No.: 143

I like this move. Top stuff Mods.

I am slightly concerned that those people under 100 posts will spam threads with useless/off topic/unhelpful posts to get their post count up so they're able to access the Off Topic and BSS forums.

This post has been edited by GreenMonkey: Mar 5 2011, 12:49 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
BladeRunner
post Mar 5 2011, 07:18 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 217

A very welcome change
Cheers guys
+Quote Post
Crofty
post Mar 6 2011, 03:37 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 6,683

As GreenMonkey has correctly suggested...

I am slightly concerned that those people under 100 posts will spam threads with useless/off topic/unhelpful posts to get their post count up so they're able to access the Off Topic and BSS forums.

Looks like i'm up to 3 posts now in 2 years ... I ought to spam some more biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Doombreed
post Mar 6 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 329

A registered time based limit would be better than a post based limit in that respect, but I have no idea if it is any more difficult to implement.

Good changes though, even if I do not use either forum anymore.

--------------------
Press Ganger for Adelaide... currently living in exile in Munich.

Road to War army diary forum

2011 Warmahordes event calendar - find tournaments and other events near you!
+Quote Post
Drummer
post Mar 7 2011, 01:44 AM
Post #9

ProgRockMetal Drummer

Member No.: 734

Has anyone thought of compiling a database of the imbeciles that we've had to deal with in BSS previously? It may be a helpful tool for all to know.

--------------------
Prog rock/metal drummer since '87.

"If you've had half as much fun watching my show as i've had doing it, well then i've had twice as much fun doing the show as you've had watching it...."

"Modern day karma - It's always better to overdeliver and undercharge than the opposite."
+Quote Post
Dr.McNinja
post Mar 7 2011, 02:46 AM
Post #10

Doctorate in Ninjaness

Member No.: 5,229

Either they quickly spam and get caught out or spend a lot of time posting for that one account.

A registered time based limit would be better than a post based limit in that respect, but I have no idea if it is any more difficult to implement.

A combination of both is good. He's already said that if you have been registered for a while but with under 100 posts, he can make an exemption. But just how long should the waiting time be?

--------------------
Consistently sounding like an idiot isn't good trolling: its consistently sounding like an idiot.

| (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

HODOR™ HODOR HODOR

Hodor Hodor Hodor
+Quote Post
kanhead
post Mar 7 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,476

Not a fan of the change, i've purchased about a dozen lots in BSS and i'm sure there are others like me who don't necessarily get their post count up but are a vital part of the marketplace.

Punishing many for the sake of a few doesn't seem the best idea. I know i make sure i get the details of whoever i'm buying from before i complete a transaction - i've never had any problems.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Winter
post Mar 7 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7,491

QUOTE(kanhead @ Mar 7 2011, 09:48 AM) *

Not a fan of the change, i've purchased about a dozen lots in BSS and i'm sure there are others like me who don't necessarily get their post count up but are a vital part of the marketplace.

Punishing many for the sake of a few doesn't seem the best idea. I know i make sure i get the details of whoever i'm buying from before i complete a transaction - i've never had any problems.

Hence he said the following:

There are some very long-term forum members who read often and rarely post... in these cases, we are able to make exceptions. If you have been involved in the forums for a while and don't think you will have enough posts to enter the Veteran Members group by March 30th, contact morsla via PM and we will sort things out.

Did you read the entire post?

This post has been edited by Winter: Mar 7 2011, 08:59 AM

--------------------
QUOTE(Assaultguardsman @ Apr 7 2010, 12:40 AM) *

*wanders into the room with a south american quadruped* who ordered the dramallama?

+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 7 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #13

Group Icon

Postcount has been chosen for a few reasons - it's by far the easiest option to implement using the current forum software, requires some amount of effort (and participation in the forum community) on behalf of a new member on the site, and forces people to leave more of an electronic trail when using the site.

The worst offenders in the B/S/S area have been serial offenders, using multiple accounts. If the system worked purely on the amount of time registered on the site, it would be trivial to create 3-4 accounts at once, and wait until they all received access to the trading area.

Grokl - that's not something that we are able to do, for privacy reasons. A public database would also have implications for defamation - in some cases things may look very clear to the person involved in a trade, but public naming and shaming is not something we're prepared to go to court over.

Kanhead - I can add you to the list.

I have received several PMs over the weekend, and will update the Veteran Members group this afternoon. Most are from people with <100 posts, but a few should have automatically been transferred to the Veteran Members group ages ago - I'll manually add them when I do the others.

--------------------
Miniatures Coordinator: PAX Australia 2014 (Oct31-Nov2). You can find rego information here

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken

My Admin voice is red.
[Epic: Iyanden] [Infinity: Nomads|Qapu Khalqi] [Alkemy: Aurloks|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM: Mercenaries|Cryx] [Hordes: Skorne]
+Quote Post
kanhead
post Mar 7 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 9,476

Thanks Morsla, although my concern is not some much for me now but for honest new people like I was 10 month ago. Following the rules and taking a few precautions seem to work for me but if there is a systemic issue then i guess something further is needed.

Winter - yes i read the post, to clarify i don't consider myself a "very long-term forum member" at 10 months.

--------------------
+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 7 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

It's not a perfect solution, but is generally considered an improvement on what we have at the moment. The main people who are likely to be affected by it are those who have trades in progress, have less than 100 posts in their account, and don't see this note during the next month - hopefully there won't be too many of them.

I'd also ask anyone dealing with brand new members in Buy/Swap/Sell over the next few weeks to check with them, to make sure they know about the change. I'm not setting hard rules on which accounts I'll move in to the Veteran Members group (time on the forums and/or successful trades in the Good Traders thread are my main guidelines), but I definitely won't change any account created in the last month or so. Anyone in this group will need to qualify for forum access like everyone else.

For new members registering after the end of March, access to the trading forums won't be available when they start on the site, so the change shouldn't affect any ongoing trades.

--------------------

My Admin voice is red.
+Quote Post
Kojihama
post Mar 7 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,782

QUOTE(morsla @ Mar 7 2011, 10:48 AM) *

It's not a perfect solution, but is generally considered an improvement on what we have at the moment. The main people who are likely to be affected by it are those who have trades in progress, have less than 100 posts in their account, and don't see this note during the next month - hopefully there won't be too many of them.

Great move.

--------------------
There aren't any rules in the game that prohibit me from reaching across the table and punching my opponent face in either. Doesn't mean I do it.
+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 7 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Updated again - apologies for not sending individual replies to all the PMs, but I haven't had a lot of time for forum admin stuff in the last couple of days.

--------------------

My Admin voice is red.
+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 8 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #18

Group Icon

Updated again, for this morning's batch of PMs.

--------------------

My Admin voice is red.
+Quote Post
Dono1979
post Mar 8 2011, 11:40 AM
Post #19

Kildrech Crusade
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 5,612

A good move I think, I have been stung once, although my own fault, I got lazy with checking things. However it jaded me for a bit.

Hopefully it helps.

EDIT: Of course the other option people have if they dont have enough posts is to become a Support Member.... its only $10...

-Dono

This post has been edited by Dono1979: Mar 8 2011, 11:41 AM

--------------------
Kildrech Crusade -
- IA Tyrants Legion
- IA Armoured Battlegroup
- 30K Imperial Fist Legion
(Marine modeling diary 98%)
(Guard modeling diary 95%)
Worldwide 40K campaign tracking website (30K coming soon!)
+Quote Post
Willy
post Mar 8 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #20

Breezemaster 5000

Member No.: 10,116

I think time - Ie: the 100 post count, would work better than becoming a support member... 100 legit posts costs more than $10, in time etc. Illegitimate posts/spams are fairly easily spotted.

a $10 donation to then potentially rip someone off for $100 - $500 isnt a bad trade off.

Its always going to be an honor system. Im too vain about what people think of me, strangers online or otherwise to ever rip someone off. However i know people who can take and it simply doesn't phase them.

I hope you can get it all sorted Morsla.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:50 AM