Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [WM] Menoth Battle Box, pretty purple protectorate
SandiDee
post Oct 29 2011, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,835

Hello

I've started putting together the Protectorate of Menoth figures out of the 2-player battle box and so far I've got the Vanquisher, Crusader, Repenter and High Exemplar Kreoss assembled.

Today I played my first ever game of Warmachine! We were up at WSWA club which meant that as well as Dave helping coach me through the game as he played his Khador against me, I also had at least two others stop by with hints and tips.

I didn't win, but it was a very close game, and really came down to some very unlucky rolls at my end!

Anyway, onto the painting after that. These were put together last night and undercoated with grey Army Painter this morning (I'm still wary of the spray can so didn't do that myself). After our game, I sat down at club and started putting my first base colour down on my jacks. I'm using Vallejo Game Color paints and this shade is six parts Skull White to one part Royal Purple.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The rest of the colour scheme will be black, silver and white. I'm not skilled enough yet for battle damage and the like, so this will be a fairly clean cartoon-like little battle group. I'll put together and paint the cinerators too. The 2 player battle box is too fun! Dave is cleaning and assembling some more of the Khador figures as I type this ...

Sandi

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Beast Rabban
post Oct 31 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,015

I got the 2 player box too, assembled but no paint as yet. So I'll be following with interest.
Looks neat so far. Keep up the good work.

--------------------
No sound doctrinal position survives contact with the other ideologues, that's why they're called the heretics.

My painting diary:
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125842
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Oct 31 2011, 10:41 AM
Post #3

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Welcome to Warmachine, greatest game around! May Menoth bless you in battle biggrin.gif

I really like that scheme, it's very cool.

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
lobo
post Oct 31 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,106

Fading that color up to a near white with a couple of washes will make for a really nice shading.
Starting out really well.
+Quote Post
Horundwar
post Oct 31 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,379

I got the two player box with a mate of mine and he wanted the Khador so I have these Menoth units to paint aswell. I'm keen to see how yours come up in purple as my mate undercoated Kreoss in pink as a joke and I'm thinking of staying with it as they will just be a muck about force. Will probably buy the Idrians to go with my mercs to use with them aswell.

--------------------
+Quote Post
SandiDee
post Oct 31 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #6

Thanks for the comments! I was going to put some more paint on these yesterday but statistics homework got in the way, boo hiss.

The idea with the purple is to perhaps put some darker edges and paler highlights, but no plans to bring it up to white. I really like the idea of purple and black for these guys, so that's the sort of thing I'll be running with. We'll see how I go!

After my Menoth are all assembled and painted and I've had a few practice games, my plan is to give Retribution a go. Yay, mittens!

--------------------
+Quote Post
SandiDee
post Oct 31 2011, 07:25 PM
Post #7

A little bit frustrated with this right at this moment. Painted up Kreoss with the purple, and I think his cloak skirt needs to be a contrasting colour, too much purple, but I haven't thought of the right colour yet.

Then I started black outlining a Jack shoulderpad and it bled a little into the purple so I needed to take a break. I think this could work, though, so I'll get back to it but not tonight.

Excuse the poor lighting in this pic ... I'll improve the light when I improve the painting! smile.gif

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
uman
post Oct 31 2011, 10:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 5,322

QUOTE(SandiDee @ Oct 31 2011, 07:25 PM) *

A little bit frustrated with this right at this moment. Painted up Kreoss with the purple, and I think his cloak skirt needs to be a contrasting colour, too much purple, but I haven't thought of the right colour yet.

Then I started black outlining a Jack shoulderpad and it bled a little into the purple so I needed to take a break. I think this could work, though, so I'll get back to it but not tonight.

Excuse the poor lighting in this pic ... I'll improve the light when I improve the painting! smile.gif

IPB Image

Really clean paint style you have - I think a soft shade purple is even trickier to pull off than a white (at least white you can always go stark/contrast).

If you are looking for inspiration, have a google - I think one of PP's official Menite schemes is based on purple... Forces based at the Tower of Judgement I think.... Good luck!

U

--------------------

+Quote Post
Readog
post Nov 14 2011, 06:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 9,014

Looks like there is certainly a lot of potential for the scheme.
Just stick with it until its finished and im sure you can always touch them up with a bit of high lighting or wash them to tone them down if need be.
Was only just saying earlier today to another fellow menoth player there really isnt enough royal purple in menoth armies.
Personally i think its a brilliant of set color for them biggrin.gif

Keep up the good work!!
+Quote Post
SandiDee
post Nov 15 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #10

Thanks! I haven't gone back to these yet, a few other projects on the go (and an exam in two weeks) but in December I plan to get stuck into it properly and turn these into something to be proud of. I really appreciate the views, and comments!

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th August 2017 - 02:12 AM