post Mar 17 2012, 07:48 AM
Post #121

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,190

QUOTE(Jagged Tooth Grin @ Mar 16 2012, 11:47 PM) *

geeze i miss 2nd ed...

So come play it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Happy to play or play against IA any time (tournament or home)!! :)

http://www.westernsuburbsgamesociety.com/
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lachy
post Mar 17 2012, 10:37 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 485

These minis are fantastic. The ancestor lord is simple, subtle and perfect for the role.

--------------------
Your Honour, the prosecution seeks to make it a condition of the accused's bail that he bathe regularly...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mango
post Mar 19 2012, 01:56 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 84

QUOTE(Lachy @ Mar 17 2012, 10:37 AM) *

These minis are fantastic. The ancestor lord is simple, subtle and perfect for the role.

Unassuming, non threatening death machine smile.gif
+Quote Post
Minion
post Mar 22 2012, 08:23 PM
Post #124

Member No.: 6,334

As always, I appreciate the comments, everyone!

I'm with both of you, Biggy and JTG, about having to get some paint on the Meteors before I really know if they fit. They looked pretty good when I put them down on the table for a game last Friday (against the Tyranids; it was such a total whitewash it probably isn't worth reporting! I got slaughtered by the end of turn 2). Different, but not too different. Although maybe that's just the basing. I guess we'll see!

QUOTE(Biggy @ Mar 16 2012, 09:33 AM) *
Is there a link to the squat codex you guys are using? Might pinch it for our stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't exist anywhere on the web. Just in an obscure magazine printed a decade and a half ago, which one of the locals managed to find on ebay (I think he was after it for the Titan datafaxes, not the Squat list!). I'm sure we could talk it over, though.

QUOTE(the_PARIAH @ Mar 16 2012, 09:06 PM) *

those guys with the big heads and massive fists look sweet! What system are those models from (the metal ones)

They're OOP Confrontation figures, for the Tir Na Bor faction. Meteors of the Aegis. You can still find them around, and coolminiornot have just announced they're going to re-release the game, so maybe they'll come back in print?

Okay, so I'm about to head to New York for five and a bit weeks, so I'll be away from all my hobby tools. I thought I'd leave you with something to chew over. I bit the bullet and started painting up one of the Hearthguard in Exo-Armour:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

The dark grey is finished. The light grey still needs to be edged, and the turquoise and yellow both need to be highlighted and edged. And then the base, of course.

What do you think? I'm pretty happy, as far as it goes, but once the basic painting is done I think they're going to need a little more. I'm thinking a stencilled number on the lower jaw and the left shoulder, in yellow? Perhaps a symbol on the top hatch? Maybe some battle damage per xDOOMx's suggestion (but what colour? Light grey?)? Suggestions very welcome!

This post has been edited by Minion: Mar 22 2012, 08:27 PM

--------------------
The Idea Refinery -- let's talk about science fiction and fantasy, eh?

The Space-Time Machine -- a webcomic about all the things you'd do with a time machine if you didn't have to worry about saving the world/the future/humanity/whatever.
+Quote Post
Dice Junkie
post Mar 22 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 6,341

I would do the stenciled letters and such in the yellow against the blue. Stand out well and tie in with the yellow on the infantry. As for the battle damage maybe some metal showing through the damaged paintwork?
In may American weird War 2 ones i painted i did some battle damage and chipped paint with a sponge and some boltgun and mithril silver. Also picked out the rivets with the same and really made the figures pop.
I hope this helps.
+Quote Post
Minion
post Mar 22 2012, 10:08 PM
Post #126

Cheers DJ -- I'd be right there with you on the battle damage, except that I've been avoiding using metallics on these figures. I've kind of been using the light grey where I'd ordinarily put metallics (like on the clip and barrel of the little guy's gun in my previous post), which is why I tentatively suggested it for battle damage. I think it would look good against the turquoise and the dark blue/grey, but of course it wouldn't work at all on the light grey.

Hmm.

Anyway, cheers for the suggestion! Advice is always welcome -- it's been crucial in this project, actually.

--------------------

The Space-Time Machine -- a webcomic about all the things you'd do with a time machine if you didn't have to worry about saving the world/the future/humanity/whatever.
+Quote Post
Biggy
post Mar 22 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 3,190

Beautiful stuff mate. I think maybe some stencilled letters or numbers will pick it up though. Maybe some etched brass numerals or some such?

Fantastic stuff!!

--------------------
Happy to play or play against IA any time (tournament or home)!! :)

http://www.westernsuburbsgamesociety.com/
+Quote Post
Din
post Mar 23 2012, 09:21 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 4,755

That Hearthguard is looking awesome (as is the rest of the army!), I like the idea of stenciled numbering and/or an image of some sort would look brilliant. How about one of those semi-clad ladies like they have on the side of the old WWII bombers... maybe in Squat form holding a pint? wink.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Lachy
post Mar 23 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #129

Member No.: 485

The Hearthguard - even though it is still WIP - looks fantastic. I think the scheme has been executed brilliantly. I can't wait to see more.

--------------------
Your Honour, the prosecution seeks to make it a condition of the accused's bail that he bathe regularly...
+Quote Post
Minion
post May 6 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #130

And I'm back! I've returned from New York, and I'm pretty pleased to be twirling the paint brushes again. I figured I'd warm up with one of the Berserkers, before I got back to that WIP Hearthguard. Mainly I wanted to see what the Confrontation figures would look like painted up in my colour scheme. Whaddya reckon, does he fit in?

IPB Image
In case you couldn't guess, the Berserker is the the third from the left. I'm still not sure if he fits -- he looks pretty different to the other figures, but it's such a cool model I'm not sure I care (incidentally, this is my least favourite of the Meteor figures).

Some close-ups:
IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB ImageIPB Image
Pretty pleased with how he turned out, although I only realised once I was done that I'd painted the dark grey darker than usual. That's a bit frustrating, but I'll learn to cope.

It also occurred to me while I was away that maybe I should look at the rest of the AT-43 Red Blok range, to see if any other figures would be useful (aside from the Kolossi/Hearthguard). Came up with this as a possible Dreadnought:
IPB Image
Pretty snazzy, I reckon, and about a billion times cheaper than a GW figure!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dice Junkie
post May 6 2012, 10:04 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 6,341

I think the hearth guard work except for the leg and foot armor, it looks too fantasy for my tastes (but they are fantasy figures, so what can you do?)

The dread looks the business. Will it be getting a close combat weapon? i think some sort of a drill or saw would be the go. The squat version of a field engineer sort of devise maybe.
+Quote Post
Kinsmanalike
post May 7 2012, 09:06 AM
Post #132

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,960

I think dice junkie 'may' have been referring to the berserker instead of the hearth guard there.

I think as long as he has armour it could be large plates which could make him any size, it's a great height so id say it fits.

Looks the goods as always

--------------------
+Quote Post
D_Arquebus
post May 7 2012, 12:02 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 10,027

I would agree with Kinsmanalike.

Love the minis for the Meteors, I think your paint scheme ties thim in very well.

Basically, it looks like a mini envirosuit for the Squat's you have there. Who look like they would fit into a padded exo-skeleton style harnesss inside it (re scalewise).

Keep up the awesome! smile.gif

--------------------
www.ausbowl.com - The home of Australian and New Zealand Blood Bowl

Fantasy Sale Updated 11/02/14

+Quote Post
Minion
post May 9 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #134

Cheers, mi amigos! Dice Junkie, I do agree that the legs look a bit fantasy. My little fluff justification here as that these Meteors/Berserkers are a different tribe than the regular Squats. Savage Squats, if you will. I reckon using Grymn figures for Berserkers would've looked a little weird -- regular army guys with Frenzy just didn't seem right to me, whereas these look a little less, umm, regimented. Or something.

I'm planning on expanding this little Savage Squat sub-faction with some allied Rough Riders, using these Confrontation miniatures:

IPB Image

I'm glad you see envirosuits, Kinsman and D_Arquebus; that's kinda what I was hoping they'd look like! Plus they have little jetpacks, which explains where the Berserkers get their Furious Charge (triple charge distance) from.

As for the dreadnought, gonna stick with two ranged weapons. Firepower is what I need, particularly after my complete failure to even dent a Carnifex in my last game! (Although a rock drill would look cool, a la the Searforge Driller warjack from Warmachine.)

Thanks for the comments, guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Casablanca Cat
post May 13 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #135

Member No.: 8,325

I think the berserker is spot on. Different unit types should look different, that's what gaming is all about. Besides, if squats are anything like Warhammer dwarfs then they will be all about tradition. Come to think of it space marines are all about tradition and squats are a nice mix of warhammer dwarfs and space marines, so yeah, the berserker is fine.

I love this thread.

--------------------
With a rub-a-dub-dub and a scrub-a-dub-dub.
+Quote Post
Kinsmanalike
post May 14 2012, 04:15 PM
Post #136

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,960

for your cavalry it looks like you stole our warboars!!

or perhaps we (ORKS) traded for the exo suits, hahaha

--------------------
+Quote Post
Minion
post May 16 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #137

Wrapped up a bit of assembly tonight. Two new squads worth of Squats: one of Berserkers and one of Warriors. I figured this was as good a time as any to tally up how many points I've got, and lo, pretty much exactly 2000 points! Here it is:

IPB Image
I've got a couple more things in the post, or awaiting assembly, but they're basically just extra Support options. For a bit of variety. Now I just have to get painting!

QUOTE(Casablanca Cat @ May 13 2012, 07:11 AM) *

I think the berserker is spot on. Different unit types should look different, that's what gaming is all about.

Cheers, CC! That's basically exactly what I was thinking -- I had originally purchased some more Grymn with close combat weapons, and considered using them for Berserkers, but at the end of the day they looked like just more Squat warriors. These Berserkers (and the Rough Riders, down the line) provide a nice bit of visual variety, I reckon. Thanks for the kind words!

QUOTE(Kinsmanalike @ May 14 2012, 04:15 PM) *

for your cavalry it looks like you stole our warboars!!

or perhaps we (ORKS) traded for the exo suits, hahaha

Pfft! We stole your warboars?! Reckon you might have that the wrong way around! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Minion
post Jun 30 2012, 09:56 AM
Post #138

I haven't got much Squat painting done in the last little while, but game today! Due to start in a little over an hour -- I'm going to be taking on the Eldar in a mission to kill as many of them at point blank range as possible. Here's what I'm taking (larger version here):

IPB Image

And yes, those are troop transports! I'm banking on the Howling Winds (a weather condition that slows down bikes/skimmers/jetpacks and makes shooting less reliable) to keep them alive.

The game is 2000 points, although the Eldar will have a slight 100 point advantage. They control fewer planets in our campaign, which makes their armies more nimble. Wish me luck!

This post has been edited by Minion: Jun 30 2012, 09:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Jun 30 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #139

Member No.: 2,327

I do love the Old Crow models!

Would any of them be big enough to use as a Chimera or transport for Imperial Guard (or 10x 28 mm Infantry figures)?

Which Old Crow Turret did you use for the AA mount on the tank in the previous post?

Lots more pictures please (and battle reports).

I miss the squats in 40K wink.gif

Have fun,

Allan

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians

Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers

SAGA: Normans

Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain

Imperial Guard - 40K

Hardly play at all (maybe one game a year):

WHFB: High Elves, Empire, Dwarves

40K: Space Marines, Eldar, Imperial Guard
+Quote Post
Minion
post Jul 1 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #140

Unfortunately, a family emergency meant that the game had to be called off after the first turn. I will say, though, that things were looking rough for the Squats. The Eldar are so quick it's easy for them to pop into 6" range and make a mess against the much slower Squats. And remind me never to take an attack jeep (which are open topped) where there are Warp Spiders on the table!

QUOTE(Fluffy05 @ Jun 30 2012, 11:21 AM) *

I do love the Old Crow models!

Me too! smile.gif

Would any of them be big enough to use as a Chimera or transport for Imperial Guard (or 10x 28 mm Infantry figures)?

The short answer is yes, but size comparisons are a little tricky with the Old Crow vehicles. Take the Trojans and Slingshots, which I'm using as Timberwolf APCs and Wolverine tanks respectively (the middle four tanks in the previous photo). They're about the same length as a Rhino, but they're much thinner. Check out this thread for a comparison shot, fifth post down. They'd be too small to realistically fit 10x 28mm Infantry figures, but they work fine for 6 Squat-sized figures.

On the other hand, the Sabre Heavy Tank (my Predator) is noticeably bigger than most GW tanks, although it's also flatter.

Tell you what, when I get back to Sydney (see aforementioned family emergency), I'll get Kinsmanalike to bring some of his GW tanks around and I'll take a bunch of size comparison shots.

Which Old Crow Turret did you use for the AA mount on the tank in the previous post?

Just the standard AA option on the Sabre tank. Easy! smile.gif

Lots more pictures please (and battle reports).

I'll do what I can! smile.gif Thanks for the encouragement, Allan. Current project on the painting table is a bunch of Firestorm Armada models, which I'm using as a BFG Squat fleet using the Tau rules, for added complexity! Part of the reason I took on that project, though, was to test run some Tamiya spray colours to see if they'd be useful when it came to painting the Squat tanks.

I think the answer is yes...

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 07:20 PM