Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [WFB] Orc army with a wood elf theme, 2999 points complete!
threemcs
post Apr 15 2012, 07:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,373

So I finished my Tartan Marauders (Check my sig) in time for Book of Grudges last year, and in my normal style, I didn't do a lot with it afterwards. I enjoy playing with the army, but I'm not big on expanding armies once I'm there. I'm all about a new concept!

One of my favourite armies to make is a Greenskin army. They're kinda the butt moknies of the Warhammer World and don't take themselves too seriously. This means that they can stretch to amost any theme and it will match the humour. I have actually already done a heavily themed greenskin army (arabic orcs). Like I said, I'm not big on updating my lists, so my 7th ed orcs are now going underutilised. I'll likely sell them very soon.
But, I am now inspird to start a new force, one that will probably be just as unusable in 8th ed, or any ed:

Wood Elf Orcs!
Picture orcs that are so sick of getting beaten up by hippy elves that they're resorting to their tricks; lots of orc archers, lots of goblin archers, trolls dressed up as treekin, giants dressed as treemen, break dancing goblins, giant archers as doom divers and trying to emulate as many wood elf models in crude orc style as I can.

So far, I've not got a lot done. I found a few old orc arrer boys and stripped them. A bit of putty, and lick of paint and I have a tangible army concept to show you!

IPB Image

Ok, so one photo is not a lot to go on, but hopefully it gives you an idea. As usual, I've gone with a bright, contrasting colour scheme. I'm trying my hand at white this time, which I finally have to a standard I'm happy with, but I may regret it very quickly!

Next, I want to build a giant posing as the Waywatcher Lord:
IPB Image
The quiver will have goblin feet sticking out the top, and he'll stand in as a doom diver. I've already bought some plastic treens to stand in as the root.

Hopefully I can show you some progress soon.
In the meantime, if you have or know anyone who has any plastic orc arrer boys from the 6th Ed Box, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading.

This post has been edited by threemcs: Jun 4 2014, 09:37 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Yaleling
post Apr 16 2012, 09:26 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,852

This is genius (or insanity)! I'm keen to see how the army progresses mate.

--------------------
My Tyranid album.
IG modelling diary.
Salamanders painting diary.

Desperately WTB - 3 eldar vehicle canopies.
+Quote Post
Jagged Tooth Grin
post Apr 17 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4,158

i am sincerely of the belief that orc/ks can be made to represent any other army with good result if the right work is put into it. i encourage this army smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Mention The Warstore
+Quote Post
(sic)
post Apr 20 2012, 08:53 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,253

are you going to paint some patterns on their cloaks? that would look sick!

--------------------
Current Projects
Painting 2000pts Adeptus Mechanicus / Cult Mechanicus / Imperial Knight 40k army - Painting up Batman Miniature game models - Painting up Guildball Brewers and Butchers guilds - Painting 40k Warhound Titan - Painting Frostgrave models

Side Projects
Assembling and painting terrain - Creating Infinity gaming board - Painting AVP Boardgame minis
+Quote Post
nizon
post Apr 20 2012, 09:08 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 5,355

looking forward to this one, after what you did with your ogres this should be good
+Quote Post
threemcs
post Apr 21 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #6

Thanks for the support, folks.
I've been busy sourcing OOP models for the past week, and I have managed to get my hands on around 50 plastic Orc Arrer Boys from the 6th ed box:
IPB Image

I was never gonna buy metals for these- I don't have that money!
These will take a while to digest, but hopefully I get soem time to work on the army tomorrow. I think my desk needs to be cleared a bit- there are layers of old projects on there.

(sic)- Nah, gonna leave the cloaks clean. I'm liking the solid white look for now.

--------------------
+Quote Post
anarchy.inc
post Apr 23 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 9,891

Real questions now, will you have trolls pretending to be treekin and are you going to have trolls shooting huge bows as bolt throwers?

--------------------
Red Jokers: a faux shaux
Flipping red jokers since 2015
+Quote Post
threemcs
post Apr 23 2012, 09:00 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(anarchy.inc @ Apr 23 2012, 03:51 PM) *

Real questions now, will you have trolls pretending to be treekin and are you going to have trolls shooting huge bows as bolt throwers?

Could do both.
Hadn't planned on using bolt throwers, but it could work. I am still working on te giant-waywatcher lord though!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tainted Seraph
post Apr 23 2012, 10:34 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,695

Haha. You're a mad genius. I shall now live vicariously through my old orcs and their new life in your capable hands smile.gif
+Quote Post
threemcs
post Apr 25 2012, 12:51 PM
Post #10

Alright, a little progress. No more paint, but you can see what's going on.

I have so far been busy prepping the arrer boys. There are a tonne of them to clean, putty and paint. I also had to source a few heads, and re-pose a few of them. The ones with swords are a bit goofy. As anarchy.inc put it; they look like they're about to start chopping their bows up. I angled some of them to that their bows are lowered, and some so that swords are lowered.

IPB Image
Here's the pile of arrer boys to work on. You can see some that have had their capes added, one of which is a standard bearer.

I thought I've give a quick run-down on how I make the capes:
IPB Image
Roll out some green stuff. The rolling pin and surface need to be dripping with water, I just dunk the whole ball of GS in water. Don't touch it with fingers past this point.

IPB Image
Cut a tall trapezium out of the GS. the top wants to be about as wide as the orc's shoulders, and be long enough to reach past his knees.

IPB Image
Dry the cape on some towell.

IPB Image
Press the top of the cape onto the orc's shoulders. Only make a firm connection at the neck, leave the ends free.

IPB Image
Push the ends down under the orc's neck. It will need some stretching. Don't worry about the bottom of the cape until the neck is done.

IPB Image
Score some lines into the part of the cape around the neck to suggest that it is being pulled and creased. Done!

Next up; the hood.

Public holiday; should get a bit of work done!

--------------------
+Quote Post
threemcs
post Apr 26 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #11

Half-Way through the Arrer Boys!
IPB Image
Still got a bunch to do...
IPB Image
Then they needs hoods. LONG TIME!!! biggrin.gif

Some progress on the doom diver archer:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Not sure if it looks right; it's such a wierd pose on the original that I won't really have a clue until it's all done. The pelvis looks like it's tilted way too far forward, but I think I can correct that when I add the spine. It's all spare parts so far, so no loss! Still, it does kinda look like he's taking a leak on the tree. On the plus side, the whole point of the army is that the greenskins (and pink-skinned associates) are trying to imitate the wood elves, probably badly.

Will keep you posted...

This post has been edited by threemcs: Apr 26 2012, 08:57 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Staks
post Apr 26 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 885

Nice one Drew. You've really taken on an interesting challenge here. It's a shame to see you sell your old army but I look forward to seeing this one completed smile.gif

--------------------
Want to play Confrontation in Melbourne? Shoot me a PM for the details of our club night.
QUOTE(jarveg @ Oct 30 2010, 08:00 AM) *

Exactly Staks - no-one rates you, but that STILL makes you Australia's #1 Over-rated player. Thats how craptastic your Warhammer skills really are!
+Quote Post
threemcs
post Apr 28 2012, 11:13 AM
Post #13

Cheers Staks. No idea when it'll be done, but I plan on getting a large order next week.

So, I've built up the armature for my doom diver. The legs were spare from my giant genie, so I'm having to make the torso for this guy. I'm not worried too much about sculpting realistic anatomy, as it will mostly be sovered by loose-fitting capes or cane armour. Still, it's the most I've ever sculpted on an armature before.

Here's a few pictures of him:

IPB Image
IPB Image

I put down a layer of hot glue onto the armature, it'll make it easier to lay the firs layer of putty. I've put the hands and head in place to give you a better idea of his pose. He kinda looks a bit like Ray Man.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Apr 29 2012, 12:20 PM
Post #14

On Parole

Member No.: 5,217

got massive potential
keen to see some paint / wood elf models with orc heads

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
threemcs
post May 1 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #15

I don't plan on using any actual wood elf models- too weedy! Maybe the odd dryad branch or so.
Paint will come- wanna get all the capes out of the way for consistency. Speaking of, I have added about 40 hoods:

IPB Image
Boys in Da Hoods!

Also, I've started some of the outer detail on the giant bowman (doom diver):
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Only a small part of the chest as showing on the actual model, so there won't be a lot of detail on mine, either. The pecks look a little like boobs- I hope I can mute that with paint and other detail.

The plan is to sculpt all of the showing skin (chest, arms), then lay down some of that wicker-type effect. Next to go down will be the billowy robes/cape, and finally the foliage. I'll take my time; don't want any fingers to get in it! It'll be slow, but I hope worth it. Soooo much putty!

--------------------
+Quote Post
threemcs
post May 3 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #16

Ok, I bought my first new model in a while; the Warboss/BSB boxed set. I went to town on the Big Boss on foot and came up with this:
IPB Image
IPB Image
I'll let you try adn figure out who he is supposed to look like. Ok, he still needs a cloak and some hair, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Luckly, I had the actual branch left over from an old project, so at least that part is genuine.

I've also completed (I hope) all of the 'skin' on the giant. The rest is all wicker and cloak, which should be much easier than trying to sculpt anatomy. Still, I think he looks pretty natural:
IPB Image
IPB Image
The first shot makes his hand look really huge!

I've also finished sculpting the arrer boys! Ok, I still need to finish the musos, but the bulk are ready for paint. I have 10 undercoated and ready to go. Bought a bunsh of the new paints today; let's hope they're all as good as that base white (which is going to make my army SO much easier to paint!)

Cheers!

--------------------
+Quote Post
threemcs
post May 6 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #17

More progress this morning:
First up, the bases are ready for casting. I don't think I'll bother casting the 40mm bases for troll/treekin, but I've got 25mm, 20mm, cav and round bases ready. I don't think I'll mold the round bases, but the rest I'll need a lot of.
IPB Image
IPB Image

Next up, the doom diver has a bit more on him. He looks somewhat less retarded when less of the rough putty is showing:
IPB Image

Lastyle, I' think the big boss is nearly done. I don't know if I'll add any more to him at this stage; he could do with a few viles on his cloak but I'm not sure if that's necessary:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Hopefully my big order arrives this week and more stuff can start!

Cheers

--------------------
+Quote Post
threemcs
post May 8 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #18

Some progress:
IPB Image
IPB Image
OK, not a heap, but I'm not getting a lot of time each day to work on this, and putty takes a long time to cure!

I'm doing a bit of painting, but nothign worth showing yet. Soon!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Asylum
post May 9 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 12,977

great stuff! biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Big_al
post May 13 2012, 08:05 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 100

That giant is awesome
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th November 2018 - 05:50 AM