Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zen's Occasionally Howly Robot Wolfies Blog, 20/10/2018: Adeptus Titanicus Warhounds git glued
Zenithfleet
post Oct 7 2012, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,488

UPDATE MAY 2018: Free! Free at last! Photobucket pics are showing up again. No idea how long it will last, though...

After many a year of skulking about without saying much, my painting skills have finally advanced to a semi-competent tabletop standard that won't get me laughed out of the internet... or at least I hope so. Projects that may or may not be posted here include Epic, 2nd ed 40K, Battlefleet Gothic and possibly others.

I've never done one of these diary things before, so apologies in advance if I muck it up. Updates might be a bit intermittent--I tend to drop in and out of the hobby for months at a time depending on what's going on in the rest of my life (not to mention the Qld weather).

Anyway, enough talk... on with the heresy!

First up: Epic. I've wanted to get into this for ages, but never got around to it till now. Oddly enough, the infantry strip bases were what kept me away--I never liked the look of them. Funny how such a little detail can put you off... Anyway, I discovered a couple of months ago that you don't actually need to base them on strips if you don't want to. The dam of repressed 6mm longing immediately burst and my worktable disappeared under eeny weeny plastic men.

There's just one catch: I'm not playing Epic Armageddon (the current edition of the game). Nor am I playing NetEpic, the fan continuation of old-school Space Marine/Titan Legions. Nope, I'm not nearly that sensible. I'm playing the edition whose mere mention can inspire horror, its very existence hushed up by high-ranking members of the Inquisition, its name rarely spoken aloud lest it cause ill fortune and woodworm in your games table: Epic 40,000.
IPB Image

Mmm. Smells like heretic. biggrin.gif

First up: Objective markers! In Epic 40K these come in many flavours: Bunker, Rescue, Take&Hold, Cleanse, Capture, etc. A Bunker needs to be destroyed, a Take and Hold gives your army benefits for as long as you can hold onto it, a Cleanse needs to be kept clear of enemies, and so on. Generally speaking, the larger the game, the more objectives each side chooses.

From left to right: crashed Rhino, fuel silo, Eldar webway marker thing, observation tower, bunker. These are mounted on 25mm plasticard. Most of these could count as several things (e.g. the bunker doesn't have to be a Bunker--it could be a Cleanse or a Take and Hold).

IPB Image

One of the cool things about Epic terrain is that you suddenly find a use for all the random bits that never had any purpose before. The webway marker is an accessory from the 40K War Walker kit--at 6mm scale it looks like a huge ruined wraithbone carving. Similarly, the silo is made from a Cities of Death street lamp and some Tehnolog kit bits. The observation tower is made from Tau bits on top of a random grille piece from a toy, while the bunker is a WFB base with a round piece from a Gundam kit (I think).

One odd little detail (that I naturally forgot to photograph): I painted the undersides of the markers black. For some reason this turns them from messy bits of handmade craft into official, professional, quality gaming items... at least in my head. I might hardly ever see the black underside, but I know it's there. Weird, but it works. I blame psychology.

Now for the troops. So far I've amassed roughly 1000pts for Marines, Guard, Orks and Eldar. My brother will be taking the loyalists while I command the xenos scum (as usual). Here's a quick WIP shot of the Eldar--a combined Craftworld and Pirate force:

IPB Image

I've based them on round plastic counters from Mind Games. (I considered using coins but didn't want to scratch the games table.) I've only put three or four to each base--this lets me stretch the available models further.

A bit of explanation on the Pirates (seen on the left): Eldar went through a massive design overhaul when E40K was released. Their old Falcons were wedge-shaped, their Wave Serpents were basically flying boats, etc. E40K saw the advent of the modern Eldar vehicle aesthetic (middle and right). Pirates don't have any special rules in Epic 40K--they just count as Craftworlders. I inherited a bunch of old-school Eldar from a generous WGAU member and wanted an excuse to use both styles of models in the same army. Plus, it'll tie into Battlefleet Gothic if I ever build a pirate fleet.

More to come!
By the way, sorry about the small size of the pics--I wasn't sure about size restrictions here so went with 640x480...

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Oct 21 2018, 12:01 AM

--------------------
Modelling diary: Zen's Occasionally Hyperventilated Blog
Current projects: Epic 40,000 and 28mm stuff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 7 2012, 10:29 PM
Post #2

Here's some Imperial Guard in progress. The infantry have been sprayed black so didn't show up that well in the photo. I've based the tanks on plasticard, as they're metal and our games table is highly sensitive. (BTW, all of these are Epic 40K vintage. Even players who hated 3rd ed Epic, i.e. 99.2% of them, agree that the multipart models from that era were ludicrously gorgeous.)

IPB Image

As for the Marines, I've actually painted them all up, but they're on extended patrol (i.e. at the family home). For now, here's a not-very-thrilling WIP pic I took a few weeks ago:

IPB Image

The Razorback is a conversion made from a plastic Whirlwind, although it's obviously a bit hard to see the details at the moment, sorry. The Thunderhawk is the regular metal GW one, albeit from the original E40K run in the mid 90s. Sadly it's missing its wing heavy bolters (it only came with one, which I used to make the Razorback turret). But wait, there's more! You can't see it clearly here, but it's actually miscast along its entire chunky length--the left half doesn't quite match up to the right. (CURSE YOU FINECAST!!!... oh wait huh.gif )

I'm pretty pleased with the blue--it took a while to get right. Basically it's a Mordian Blue basecoat, with successive drybrushings of Ultramarines Blue mixed with increasing amounts of white. The final highlight is pure white, followed by a wash with Mordian Blue. (Yep, a Foundation wash. I told you I was a heretic.)

Would love to hear your thoughts so far (although I know I haven't posted much yet). Hopefully I'll manage some better photos for the next update...

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Oct 7 2012, 10:31 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
AlphaHobbies
post Oct 7 2012, 10:35 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,678

Love to see the old games come out of retirement. I have a few Space Marine and Ork detachments sitting on the shelf begging to be painted and played with. This might encourage me to dig them out again after Orkfest.

--------------------
Force Z Jan-17, May-2, Aug-3, Oct-10
The Gauntlett Feb 7/8, May 30/31, Aug 29-30, Nov 14-15
Titans of War Mar 28/29, Sep-19/20
Masters/Scrubcon Nov 28

Australian Warhammer 40k Rankings
+Quote Post
tau_railgun
post Oct 8 2012, 10:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,747

A blast from the past! Epic (in all its incarnations) is a guilty pleasure of mine, and tends to de-rail my 40k progress from time to time when the lure of 6mm gets too much...

I know your pain re: thunderhawk miscast- I have the really old and really small model, and it's got a mad left/right shift which took a lot of green stuff and filing to rectify.

Keep up the good work man!

--------------------
+Quote Post
coolishdan
post Oct 8 2012, 10:44 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,215

This brings back memories
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 8 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #6

Thanks everyone for the encouragement armata_PDT_01.gif

Long story short: I picked up the Epic 40K box set on eBay a couple of months ago, just for the models and buildings. I was planning on Epic Armageddon at that point, since I'd only ever heard bad things about the previous edition. Then I actually read the rules and realised Epic 40K is much more our thing:

--less fiddly detail (except where it matters, like Titans... fires raging on four decks sir!)
--all the army lists are in one book (seriously, that thing is packed)
--it ties in with Battlefleet Gothic nicely 'cos they were both around at the same time (in fact their rulesets are quite similar and they use the same order dice)
--the detachment system is really flexible. You can pretty much make an army out of any random collection of models. This is important when you're buying eBay lots...

It wasn't the game Epic fans at the time wanted though, which is a shame and a misstep by GW. Or so I gather--I was a tiny tot just getting into the hobby as Epic 40K flared and died.

Anyway, this is supposed to be a diary, not a spiel, so I'll shut up now. Will try to get some proper pics of the Ultramarines up in a day or so.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 10 2012, 10:05 PM
Post #7

Well, that'll teach me to make confident predictions. After a couple of days featuring a relentless string of Ben Stiller moments, I've only managed to grab a couple of hasty terrain photos. Never mind... the show must go on!

First a bit of history: Most of my toy soldier playtimes (back when I was a teen) were perpetrated upon a 6'x3' board with green flock on one side and grey-painted sand on the other. (It was 6'x3'instead of the standard 6'x4' because we couldn't fit a full-sized table into the games room. Our deployment zones tended to be a bit thin...) Because we brushed varnish over the flock to keep it on, it was horribly patchy, not to mention just as scratchy as sand.

Here's a sample of the old shame, with some of the few surviving terrain pieces from that era:
IPB Image

The horror! armata_PDT_07.gif (Actually I'm still fond of that crashed spaceship--made with a couple of Star Wars kits, a rough concrete floor and a big mallet. I really need to rebase and spruce it up sometime.)

Anyway, that battered old board gave us much entertainment and saw many a great victory (though usually not by me mellow.gif ).

When we moved house we chopped the board into two 3'x3' squares for storage. We've found that these are quite good for small short-notice games because they fit easily atop a dining room table without needing to shift any furniture around. So far I've patched up and repainted three sides out of four.

I repainted one of the green-flocked sides as a 'mud' board, featuring delicious chocolate hills (made from styrofoam plus filler and sand), a crashed Aquila (made from a crashed Aquila) and some rocks (made from rocks). All are based on MDF cut out with a jigsaw.
IPB Image

I might add a bit of static grass to the mud board and its terrain someday, so that the terrain pieces can also be used on the GW Battlemat.

Side no. 2 is the 'desert' board. This was originally the grey sand side, featuring VERY coarse sand. I put a bit too much varnish on, so it's a bit shiny... clearly somebody's set off a nuke or three around here.
IPB Image

Not much terrain for this board yet, apart from the barricades pictured. I did make a set of scrap counters, just in case I ever suffer a sudden outbreak of Gorkamorka. I have a feeling we'll need a bigger table for that though!

IPB Image

I'm also working on an Orky building using a CNC Workshop kit:

IPB Image

Oi! Gerroff da roof ya stinkin' pointy-earz!

The third 3'x3' surface is a 'cavern' board:

IPB Image

The terrain so far is made from cheap resin aquarium decorations, based on MDF. I painted a couple green for a weirder Chaos/Necron world feel. They have no obvious scale, so can be used for both 40K and Epic. The statue is made from a couple of Mage Knight (or Heroclix?) figures.

IPB Image

To create the board I scraped filler over the really coarse sand, leaving a few patches bare. This created an interesting rocky texture.

IPB Image

It's not perfect by any means... bits of sand came loose, stuck to the spatula and carved grooves into the next application, so in places I ended up with a crosshatched pattern. I don't really mind--it looks a bit like old concrete. Good for Mines of Moria, methinks. (Something always goes wrong with my gameboards, and this was no exception. In this case the varnish dried matte but yellowed the grey slightly. Oh well.)

That's it for the mini-boards. Next up: the big(ish) grey board, and other random terrain-related things...

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Oct 10 2012, 10:14 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 10 2012, 10:44 PM
Post #8

Right, on with the parade of tables. I realise none of this is particularly inspiring, but hopefully someone out there who's never tried making terrain before will find it useful in a "hey I reckon I could manage that" kind of way...

Anyway, I decided we might need a board that was actually big enough to fight a proper battle on, so I put together a 4'x4' board on a frame. I used sand, then static grass and flock, following the suggestions in one of the GW LotR books. It was... well, it was a bit of a disaster, frankly. The less said about it the better. (Let's assume it sank into a swamp, OK?)

The second 4'x4' board I made turned out reasonable enough. I covered it with textured paint rather than sand so it wouldn't be as harsh on models that fell over. Then I varnished it to protect it from the inevitable wood terrain bases scraping across it. Big mistake. Despite saying 'matte' (and drying matte on some of my other boards) the varnish came out shiny again. I tried a few things to dull it down before giving up and repainting from scratch. The board now has a scary number of paint layers on it and has warped a bit (though that might be due to storing it upright). Never mind... this is all entirely normal when I make a gameboard.

Here it is with a couple of styrofoam hills. Ooh the excitement!

IPB Image

The underside of the board has Velcro strips added so that, if we want a 4'x4' grassy table, I can put a Battlemat over it (also Velcro'd) and fasten it on securely.

The hills are about half the thickness I used on the mud board, so they work for both Epic and 40K. (See, I did get back to talking about Epic eventually. tongue.gif ) The scale is ably demonstrated here by my trusty workbench companion, Guardian Bob, and his pet baby Rhino, Nitch:

IPB Image

Here are some of the Epic 40K ruins. These are 'demo game' terrain in a sense. I hastily drybrushed them just in time for our first couple of games, and used the card flooring they came with. I didn't base them on anything, so they'll work on any of the boards or the Battlemat:

IPB Image

A pair of Epic objectives:

IPB Image

These are much taller than the ones I showed earlier, because they'll have to compete with a whole ruined cityscape once the other buildings are painted up. They still need some highlights but are otherwise useable. The comms tower on the left is made from a Predator autocannon with that old standby, the Mk1-Rhino-hatch-plus-antenna dish. The power generator on the right is an electrical fence post thing from the 4th ed 40K starter set with some bits added.

And finally some more Epic ruins, this time properly based on plasticard:

IPB Image

I actually have a big pile of 40K terrain completed for this board, but didn't have time to photograph it. Tzeentch strikes again. armata_PDT_02.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
awesomeshotdude
post Oct 10 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #9

Dead Picts surround me

From: ...the battlefield, drenched in blood, slaying all around me...
Member No.: 9,360

Some great stuff here mate. Love the boards and terrain and will keep an eye on the progress of your forces smile.gif

--------------------
“Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.”
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 13 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #10

How's this for a real blast from the past? A couple of people I've traded with recently sent me stuff in old GW styrofoam insert packaging, circa 2nd edition. These were my #1 most loved bit of raw material back when I was fourteen. I couldn't resist cracking out the PVA glue and doing up a couple of old-school 40K ruins like the ones in the classic red 'How to Make Wargames Terrain' book.

Here are some in progress, mounted on wooden coasters from Bunnings and some CNC bases:

IPB Image

And here's some I made a while back. These are actually my own ancient terrain pieces from the dodgy green board mentioned above. They used to be drybrushed silver and mounted on card. We always found them pretty useful, so I rescued them, rebased them and gave them a new lick of paint for the Battlemat.

IPB Image

Here's a WIP hab-unit / holestead for 40K or Necromunda. This one is made from Hirst Arts blocks. (I did a ton of casting back before we moved house, but sadly haven't touched the bucket of plaster since.) Note the el cheapo armyman barbed wire fences. biggrin.gif

IPB Image

To finish off, just to prove I can paint (ish) at 40K scale, here's an Ultramarines Rhino I recently painted up for my brother:

IPB Image

I tried to make it look as if it had just driven out of the 4th edition Codex, as that's the Marines look we both prefer.

As you can see, I included a driver with a bolt pistol in case we ever feel like playing 2nd edition. (Crew can dismount from their vehicles if they survive its destruction or if they just want to stretch their legs.)

I put an auspex in his hand because I couldn't find anything else to go there. I like to think it's his 41st millennium car keys.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Oct 13 2012, 08:46 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
fmi1979
post Oct 14 2012, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,712

Great work, love the Epic figures. Many years ago I painted up a Blood Angels force and I definately have a soft spot for it. Looking forward to some more pics.

--------------------
Thought for the day

Tread lightly and carry a nuclear weapon

Finished projects
World War 1 Early War Germans
US Marines vs Taliban
Falkland War Royal Marines vs Argentina
War of the Roses Yorkist army
British Napoleonics

Work Bench
Warhammer Fantasy 4th ed Empire
Warhammer Fantasy 3rd ed Dwarf

On the Backburner
Rogue Trader Ultramarines
Imperial Fists
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 17 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #12

Right, here's some 6mm Orkage in progress. This is the only army I've actually used in battle so far (against the puny 'umies). Of course, since none of it is painted yet, the battles were clearly mere tactical simulations and I don't need to feel at all bad about losing every one of them. tongue.gif

Stompas with some mild konvertinating:

IPB Image

They're based on really cheap poker chips from a toy shop. I would've preferred smaller bases but couldn't find anything flat enough at the right size. (The chips are made from some weird noxious plastic that doesn't take polystyrene cement, so they're actually superglued on there.)

Here's a Kult of Speed detachment in da workshop:

IPB Image

The plastic Battlewagons were surprisingly hard to track down (they were missing from the eBay starter set). As the odd-looking vehicles on the left reveal, I had to rely on old Micro Machines toys for a while:armata_PDT_05: Unfortunately, they're a lot bigger than the plastic wagonz. Fortunately, I had a kunnin' plan, which was to build them as special vehicle types so that they'd still fit in once I got actual Battlewagons. Here's a closeup:

IPB Image

Clockwise from left: Boss Battlewagon, Flakwagon, Speedsta with Lifta-Droppa, Speedsta with Deff Ray. They still need a bit more Orkification to hide the lines of the army vehicles.

But wait! The Micro Machines madness continues! Here's three WIP Battle Fortresses:

IPB Image

Progress on these has stalled because I've almost run out of useful Ork bitz... there's nothing in my bitz box post-3rd ed it seems! (That thing in the background is an Orky objective fort / flak tower.)

And finally the rest of da mobz:

IPB Image

Apart from what's shown here, I have a few more 'bonebreaka' Battlewagons in the konversion queue, and am hoping to grab some of the really old-school green plastic ones too. No Gargants yet though.

You might spot one Imperial Hellhound chassis in there--that's a trophy my Nobz took in their third battle. armata_PDT_36.gif

Painting all of that is a scary prospect. But not as scary as cleaning off the mould lines first. armata_PDT_08.gif

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Oct 17 2012, 10:53 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
12spew
post Oct 18 2012, 09:24 AM
Post #13

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,929

Loving all the terrain photos - some cool looking stuff in there
+Quote Post
Auty
post Oct 19 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 3,745

Dude, good choice. Epic 40,000 is by far the best set of Epic rules ever made. I miss it...
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 21 2012, 11:12 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Auty @ Oct 19 2012, 10:40 AM) *

Dude, good choice. Epic 40,000 is by far the best set of Epic rules ever made. I miss it...

Glad to hear there's still some fondness for it here and there armata_PDT_01.gif

I've managed to take some shots of the Ultramarines at long last, so here we go!

I've painted them up mostly as 2nd Company to match our 40K-scale Marines. All of these came in the Epic 40K starter box, and so all are plastic, including the commanders/Terminators/etc. A few were missing, but I had enough to almost make the entire 2nd Company in Epic scale armata_PDT_08.gif

Here they are on an outing to the bowling green.

Tactical squads:

IPB Image
I need another 3 squads for the full 2nd Company complement.

Devastator squads:

IPB Image
There are only supposed to be 2 Dev squads in the 2nd Company, so I painted one squad as 4th Company (green trim), although it's hard to see in this shot.

Assault squad (well, half of it anyway--the other troop stand seems to have gone AWOL during photography):

IPB Image
One of the men seems to have misplaced his chainsword, tsk tsk. Would you have noticed if I hadn't said anything? armata_PDT_04.gif

There should be 2 Assault squads in the 2nd Company. They're sometimes assigned to bikes, so here's half of the other squad:

IPB Image

Captain (with horrible back banner that I forgot to improve before varnishing...):

IPB Image

Librarian no. 1 with custom Razorback (made from a Whirlwind with bolters from a Thunderhawk):

IPB Image

Librarian no. 2 posing moodily on a hill with his trusty lightning bolt flag (made from an Ork Nob banner pole because the Lib's staff had broken):

IPB Image

Terminators:

IPB Image
I really like these little fellas - they remind me of the Stay-Puft Marshmellow Man. tongue.gif

One squad has a Chaplain to match our 40K Ultramarines army. I converted him using the face and crozius from the power-armoured Chaplain, who was too damaged to use normally. That was one heck of a fiddly job.

IPB Image

More to come!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 21 2012, 11:34 PM
Post #16

The 6mm blues continue!

Veteran squad:

IPB Image

IPB Image
These have no special rules in Epic 40K - they just count as Tactical marines - but our 28mm Ultras have always included a Veteran squad, so I had to have one in Epic scale. They might be useful as HQ units to lead a detachment. (An Epic detachment is roughly similar to a 40K army, operating as a loose group on the battlefield. All units in a detachment must stay within 30cm of their HQ unit - but other than this, there's no squad coherency to worry about.)

Scouts:
IPB Image
These are my least favourite Marine models - they're far too big, more like 8mm, and look a bit gawky. Most of the plastic loyalist Marine models are truly ancient (I think some date back to 1988 or thereabouts!) so the scale creep over the years is jarring.

Now for a bit of armour. Here's a quartet of Whirlwinds:

IPB Image

A trio of Land Raiders:

IPB Image
In Epic 40,000 these units were notorious because of their allegedly overpowered 'anti-tank' ability (and probably the fact that since they were plastic you could get lots of them). All anti-tank units were given a points cost increase in the Firepower magazine supplement, but I believe a lot of players used house rules as well to tone down anti-tank weaponry.

A solo of miscast Thunderhawk:

IPB Image

IPB Image

The flying base is magnetised so it can land and take off. I'm making similar bases for all the flyers, which means they'll be interchangeable when they're all done.

IPB Image

A shot of the army so far:

IPB Image

The force might seem a bit small, but it's not really meant to fight on its own. Epic 3rd ed allows you to take Space Marines alongside Imperial Guard and/or Titan Legions in the all-encompassing 'Army of the Imperium' list. Aside from Thunderhawks and Rhinos, they can also arrive via drop pod. (Incidentally, drop pods in Epic 40K have the most hilariously awesome rules I've ever encountered in a GW game.)

And a little something to finish off: Flags!

IPB Image
These are for marking the HQ unit of each detachment. (Usually your HQ will be something obvious, like a Captain or the Veterans shown above... but if they get themselves killed, the next unit in the chain of command takes over. Sometimes you need to be able to remember who's just been field-promoted...)

The flags could also be used for objectives - hills that need taking and holding, for instance.

I was going to use pennants from a newsagent, but then discovered that I had a Planetary Empires set buried in the cupboard. The set comes with twice as many flags as you actually need, so I nicked a few and mounted them on screw covers. I painted one set yellow and one blue to match the initiative counters that you draw to determine who goes first in a phase.

Next time: Back to 28mm! More scenery, and possibly some 40K-scale Blue Man Groupies.

--------------------
+Quote Post
punkskum
post Oct 22 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 7,108

QUOTE(Zenithfleet @ Oct 22 2012, 12:34 AM) *

The 6mm blues continue!

Sweet effort mate.
My only constructive advice would be to do something to the scouts to break them up looking like spandex dressed x-men. Maybe a different trouser colour? A different shoulder colour?
Me likes though, look forth to more!

This post has been edited by punkskum: Oct 22 2012, 12:08 AM

--------------------
peace? peace are those brief, glorious moments in history when everyone stands about reloading
---------------------------------
PO Box 105
4558 Maroochydore (QLD)
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 22 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #18

Yeah, the Scouts do look a bit superheroish now that you mention it armata_PDT_14.gif Good idea re breaking up the blue armour. Sadly they're sealed now, so I probably won't do anything more to them. As long as they look good from low orbit (i.e. player height)...

The same thing applies to the Rhinos - they really ought to have big white arrows and such on the top doors, but I was afraid of messing up the blue wash/drybrush work, as that would be fiddly to fix.

For the record, the Epic minis are based with fine builder's sand and GW's Glade Grass (which matches their current Battlemat pretty closely). Strangely enough, the sand and grass look good at both 28mm and 6mm scale, at least to me.

Right, time for something completely different (that isn't blue for a change). Here's a few quick shots of some city ruins I've been working on (and off and on and off) for ages now.

IPB Image

The GW buildings are mounted on a couple of layers of thick styrofoam covered in filler and textured paint. The idea is to have a 'street/sewer level' for the gangs and a raised 'footpath level' for the adepts, although I really need more than three buildings to make it work.

The bridge is a CNC Workshop kit.

IPB Image

The buildings are on wide bases (1 ft squares of MDF) so that they can be pushed together and still retain alleyways between them.

IPB Image

And now for something even more completely different: Battlefleet Gothic!

Or rather Battlefleet Pleonexia, to be precise. Once the centre of a mighty commercial empire in the Ultima Segmentum, the Pleonexia Sector is now an economic wasteland riddled with pirates and abandoned mines. The dutiful Navy does its best to maintain order in these hard times, but their numbers are few, and the foes numerous and belligerent...

I've been working on some Imperial and Chaos ships for starters. Here's a trusty Lunar class cruiser with a base made from brass rod:

IPB Image

The rod is 1/8" (3.18 mm). I tried to find 3mm rod but had no luck, so I needed to drill out the holes in the flying bases as well as the undersides of the ships. Then I had to track down some boltcutters armata_PDT_11.gif Bit of a nuisance, and probably overkill for the plastic ships, but I needed some for the metal ones and wanted all the stems to match. I don't think anything short of a direct meteorite strike on my house will break these stands...

The brass stems also have a bit more weight to them than the plastic ones, so the ships are less likely to topple over. The final advantage is that you can cut the rod to any length you like for more variation in ship height. Escorts look very cool flying above and below the bigger ships.

The first Imperial battlegroup contains a Mars battlecruiser, 2x Lunar cruisers, Gothic cruiser, 3x Sword frigates, 4x Cobra destroyers, and the inevitable Ultramarines strike cruiser to carry all the Epic minis elsewhere on this plog. Here it is in dry dock:

IPB Image

I haven't decided how to paint these yet. I'm thinking a slightly rusty red as the main colour, with black prows and gold trim. Sort of Blood Angels-ish, in fact. (I've always liked that scheme.) The strike cruiser could be mostly black with blue panels for that stealthy look, but this might mean we lose track of it on a space background board...

Anyway, here's what they're up against:

IPB Image

Well, I did say they were numerous. tongue.gif Repulsive grand cruiser, Styx heavy cruiser, 2x Murder cruisers, Slaughter, Carnage, Devastation, 3x Infidel raiders. There's also a Hades, an Acheron, one more Infidel and two Idolators, but they're all in mothballs 'cos I ran out of flying bases.

Half the plastic ships came in the BFG starter set that I acquired in a trade here. The other plastics were a gift from a friend of a friend. Generous bloke. armata_PDT_13.gif

The Repulsive's prow terrifies me. Even with pinning, that's a big heavy hunk of metal just waiting to break off and go clunk onto somebody's stand of fighters...

Again, haven't decided on a paint scheme yet. If the Imperials are red, then the Chaos ships need to contrast. I've been thinking about a very dark green, similar to the old Dark Eldar Asdrubael Vect army from White Dwarf back in 3rd ed 40K.

I've fallen totally in love with the Chaos ships and have made a few minor conversions here and there, so I might put some pics up of the individual ships later on.

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Oct 22 2012, 07:58 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Oct 24 2012, 09:31 PM
Post #19

I had some dramas with the weapon panels for the Chaos ships, which led to a bit of conversion work. Firstly, here's a bit of explanation for those who aren't familiar with BFG.

Each plastic cruiser hull comes with a separate weapons sprue. This includes:
--a pair of weapons battery panels (for straightforward blazing away at the enemy)
--a pair of lance battery panels (frickin' huge lasers) with separate turret pieces
--a pair of launch bays (for launching fighters, bombers and assault boats).
You also get bridge pieces, antennas, prow rams and other decorative bits, depending on whether the ship is Imperial or Chaotic.

You can combine the weapon panels in different combinations for create various configurations of ship. For instance, a Murder class cruiser has two pairs of weapons batteries, represented by bristly spider-leggy panels covered in little turrets. I've built two of these:

IPB Image

Since Murders also have forward-firing prow lances, I added a lance turret under the chin of one cruiser, and glued an Imperial nova cannon piece to the spine of the other.

So what's the problem, you ask? Well, a Murder takes two pairs of weapons batteries. But you only get one pair per cruiser. If you've bought several cruiser sprues, it's not a problem... unless you also want other ship classes that also use two pairs of batteries.

Like the Carnage class. This cruiser has long-range weapons designed to bombard the foe from a safe distance. Two pairs of battery panels again. I didn't have enough. What's more, distinguishing the Carnage from the Murder could be a bit tricky in the heat of battle. Improv time!

IPB Image

It turns out that the lance panels--which you're supposed to plug a single big turret into--are covered in itty bitty turrets already modelled on. So I used a pair of them with cut-down antennas to represent long-range targeting gear. Seems to work.

Next up is the Slaughter class cruiser, the Chainaxe Cherub Happy Time:

IPB Image

This thing is wicked fast, so I added swept-back masts along the spine to remind myself. A Slaughter has a pair of weapons batts and a pair of lances, but for some reason the 'Getting Started' booklet suggests using two pairs of lance panels. (Possibly this is why the lance panels have all those tiny turrets sculpted on them?) I thought this a bit confusing, so I used a pair of weapons batteries for the front half. To make it look a bit meaner, I plugged ance turrets directly into the hull rather than adding the panels first.

And finally the carrier ships. A Styx heavy cruiser on the left (two pairs of launch bays plus dorsal lances), and a lighter Devastation cruiser on the right (one pair of launch bays plus one pair of lances):

IPB Image

Not much to say about these two. I added some tall antennas to represent communications arrays for coordinating the fighter patrols. The Styx got a few extra masts in an effort to bulk it out a little more, since it's a heavy cruiser and worth quite a few points. I may vary its colour scheme to make it stand out on the board, although its silhouette is already pretty distinctive.

How will they perform when faced with the Imperial dogs? Only time and drybrushing will tell...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Nov 3 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #20

Got the first couple of BFG ships painted up this week. I decided to do the Ultramarines Strike Cruiser first, since I can use the colours and techniques that worked on the Epic fellas. I didn't want to use blue as the main colour though--the rest of the Imperial Navy will be red, so if the SC was on the table with them it'd look a bit like Super Space Mario Bros. huh.gif Instead I went with black as the dominant colour. Bit of a headache to highlight without looking grey or white (I'm running out of Badab Black wash, argh!)... but I'm pretty happy with the result.

I've had to take these late at night under fluorescent lighting and am having a bit of trouble getting the contrast right, so apologies if the ship's too dark or the background's too white!

Front view:
IPB Image

Back view:
IPB Image

It's a little hard to see, but I drybrushed the sides of the tail fin with orange and yellow to represent the reflected glow from the engines. I'll probably put stars on the base at some point, but that'll depend on what our board ends up looking like.

Incidentally, does anyone know what all those big mean-looking prongs are supposed to be? I always assumed they were bombardment cannon, but apparently that's the little turret on the top...

Meanwhile, the dark green for the Chaos ships didn't turn out too well - either they looked too Nurglish or too Necronish. I've rethought the colour scheme and gone with a rusty nondescript brown, with bronze decoration and dull silver weapon bits. Seems to work well enough. Here's my test Infidel (which was even tougher to photograph thanks to the dark colour scheme and my somewhat limited understanding of my own camera):

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 08:36 PM