Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reanimated - an occasional Cryxian blog, Update (14/10) - release the Kraken!
morsla
post Mar 18 2013, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

This is a place for occasional ramblings, photos and game reports for my return to playing Cryx. It won't be updated all that often (no spare time + severe faction and system ADD), but I thought it would be handy to put it all in one spot.

I played Cryx ages ago, and haven't really looked at them since. My first Warmachine models were the Cryx starter set, and then some Scrap Thralls when infantry blisters were released... I played the faction until Escalation was released, collected the occasional figure (the Coven and Deneghra2) from Apotheosis, and then wandered off to try some others.

So, what's changed? Some of the newer Theme Lists caught my attention, and got me to finally update my model collection a little. I'm going to try a few games with a caster I painted and never used (Deneghra2), and some jack-heavy games with the new Machine Minds list for the Witch Coven. I rarely get any time to play these days, so I'm mostly interested in converting and painting armies that I like the look of. That said, if anyone feels like sharing some tactical advice, I'm all ears...

This is the first of the newly re-painted models - I'll gradually overhaul the old collection and get them all looking similar, using the P3 Cryx paints.

(Please excuse the fuzzy pictures - camera and tripod have been packed away, so I'm using my phone)

IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 18 2013, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

And the first of the new models:

IPB Image

IPB Image

In base contact with their Overseers, that's four Stealthy helljacks that can operate outside of the Coven's control area. Four point Slayers and five point Reapers can still hit hard (jack marshal + soul token + power boosted focus), but they're cheap enough to happily throw them out there and not worry too much about losses. Killing the Overseers doesn't reduce their damage output by too much, so they'll be the first Jack Marshalled warjacks that I've ever used...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 18 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

First 50 point army list musings:

Machine Minds, Tier 4

Witch Coven and Egregore
- Leviathan
- 2 x Deathripper
Iron Lich Overseer
- Slayer
- Reaper
Iron Lich Overseer
- Slayer
- Reaper
10 Bile Thralls
2 x Warwitch Siren
2 x Machine Wraith

The Machine Wraiths have Ambush, and the two Overseers start with a soul token on them. Occultation goes on the Bile Thralls, and the marshalled warjacks stick close to their controller early in the game. The Leviathan doesn't seem to be a popular choice, but it's painted and I'd like to use it... its job is chipping away at heavy targets before they reach melee. The Egregore can give it Stealth, and the coven can easily spare 2-3 focus each turn.

Infernal Machine probably sits on the Leviathan (SPD 7 gun platform), but can swap onto the Deathrippers if needed. The arc nodes are there to make sure crucial spells land where I need them: debuffs for whatever the marshalled groups are fighting, or army-bypassing spells (Ghostwalk, Curse of Shadows, Veil of Mists) to help me get those Helljacks where they need to go.

I haven't played any SR2013 games yet, so I'll need to find out how tricky it is to keep the Coven members alive and within the smaller Kill Box range... it will be a bit odd playing fragile casters again, and I'm sure I'll lose a bunch of games while I learn how they work.

If all else fails, I guess I can take Skorne to tournaments this year and fill each zone with titans and Xerxis smile.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Skell
post Mar 18 2013, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,113

Its a very interesting tier list!

Coven works fine outside of the killbox scenario's...

--------------------
Attached - No Skarlock for you.
+Quote Post
Delrogue
post Mar 18 2013, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 197

Nice crabjack Morsla. The scheme looks a little placid, but if it's like your Menoth stuff - there is a lot of depth to the colour and shading that doesn't come out too well on camera.
+Quote Post
Blythy
post Mar 19 2013, 06:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,830

Hey mate

Coming to the dark side hey.

Dont discount the Levi he is our only non character jack to be above power 16 in combat.
Also, Can you take a Colossal in the tiers? I would see if you can make room for that as it would make a great center peice for your army and im sure you would do a wonderful job on the paint work. Would be good to see too.

I would be interested to see how this list works for you too smile.gif

--------------------
Blythy AKA The Apache Recliner
KOW Blog :- http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...p;#entry2824745
+Quote Post
morsla
post Mar 19 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #7

Group Icon

Back to the dark side - it's been almost ten years since I left wink.gif

I'd love to paint up a Collosal, but wouldn't take one in that tier list - with the discount on marshalled jacks, I could take five Slayers for the same points cost smile.gif I keep looking at the conversions people have tried on the Kraken and thinking "I want to try painting one of those..."

After playing one of the Lismore guys at Arcanacon last year and watching a Leviathan shoot down my Centurion and Thunderhead, I developed a lot more respect for what it can do when backed up by an ARM debuff.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 6 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Finally had a chance to use the Machine Minds list today - I just worked out that my last Warmachine games would have been at Tilaurin's SA Championships last September, as I missed Arc and ran this year's Conquest tourney... that makes me even rustier than I thought. I played Outflank (two circular zones) against Hobitir Forik's Tier 4 Baldur list:

Baldur1
- Megalith
- 2 x Woldwarden
- Woldwatcher
Stones + UA
Stones
Sentry stone
2 x Woldstalkers
Druids

I made some stupid mistakes with my order of activations, completely forgetting to use Power Booster until the final turn of the game... also, not realising the Woldstalkers had Zephyr cost me half a unit of Bile Thralls and one of the Sirens. Hugh plays a good game, and took good advantage of most of my mistakes. Having a better first turn plan (actually, having a plan at all) should help me to start my games a bit more smoothly - I need to figure out how each component works.

The Leviathan is fantastic with three focus a turn: it took down Shifting Stones from range, whittled a tiny bit of health away from one Woldwarden (one boosted damage and two regular rolls at dice - 3, racking up all of 4-5 damage in total...) and then finished off the Woldwarden in melee. There's almost always spare focus in this list, and a SPD 5/7 Helljack with a 13" range will almost always have a target.

The Coven's feat saved me from a turn of Geomancy barrages and Wold-stomping, letting me hold the initiative against the three heavies in the table centre. I sent an Overseer group into each zone, and charged a Machine Wraith in to contest (then forgot to bring the second one on) - they don't do so well against armies filled with magic attacks and no warjacks, but it still saved me from giving up a control point that turn.

I thought I had moved the Egregore far enough around to the left, trying to get out of the forest the Witches had been hiding in (I know, treewalker is a thing... I had been trying to play the range game, staying more than 14" from Baldur). Then Hugh had a Woldwarden use its animus, move and push Baldur into the new forest, before creating a new one at the edge of his control range. That gave him enough range to teleport into melee with the Egregore, and do enough damage to kill two witches and leave the last on a single wound...

With only FOC 3, I wasn't in range to allocate focus to anything. That meant I finally remembered about Power Booster, and walked the Leviathan into Baldur for a backstrike with boosted damage - leaving him also on a single wound, as Megalith had healed him the turn before. An Overseer charged and missed. The last witch charged (with her trusty dagger) and missed two boosted attacks. With my final attack, I had a Bile Thrall trudge into the forest and purge - dealing that final wound to Baldur, and ending the game.

General thoughts: I need to play a lot more games to get my eye for range back again, and figure out how to handle those four activations for the Coven. I also have to work out how to get them further forward (for Killbox games) without getting them killed.

The Overseer battlegroups worked well. No shooting from the Reapers, but Reach was handy, and the ability to spend the Overseer's soul token when needed is great. I played a bit too cautiously with the helljacks - I need to remember that the Slayers are only four points, and can be throwaways if needed. Also, the sirens should provide great support if I remember to Power Boost, and don't get them killed early in the game.

I have two new models on their way: a Kraken and the Deathjack. Weirdly, for all the games I played with this faction back in Ye Olden Days I've never used any of the character Helljacks, or any Bane or Satyxis troops. The Deathjack and Kraken are part of a Deneghra2 list I'd like to try next, and a Kraken conversion project that will keep me occupied for a while. For now though, I'm planning to stick with the Coven for a few more games while I figure out how the army works.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 15 2013, 03:51 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Uh oh. Things are developing on my desk...

You'd think that after all these years I'd finally learn how to follow the assembly instructions on a model kit.

You'd be wrong, though wink.gif

IPB Image

Who else has been using a Kraken so far? What else do you field with it?

I'm starting to like the kit, and looking for ways to fit it into a bunch of different armies now that I have one...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Big K
post Apr 15 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #10

Royal Pain in the ...

Member No.: 6,368

I love the Kraken, used it with eSkarre with great effect, and with Morty as well.

--------------------
Current Armies

40k - Chaos Marines
Warmachine Cygnar
Infinity - Combined
Fantasy 8th ed - Tomb Kings
+Quote Post
Forik
post Apr 15 2013, 05:45 PM
Post #11

The radnomancer

Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE(morsla @ Apr 6 2013, 06:51 PM) *

as Megalith had healed him the turn before.

no he hadn't, i forgot about it. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by hobitir forik: Apr 15 2013, 05:46 PM

--------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Apr 15 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #12

Pavè Accredited

Member No.: 101

Unleash the Kraken!

You should ask Dave about his Conquest and feet gluing....

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

If your having adventuring problems I feel sorry for you son,
I dodged 99 arrows but my knee got one.

Say hello to my little friend!
+Quote Post
sious_69
post Apr 16 2013, 08:06 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 240

Morsla that Kraken looks BOSSSSS

--------------------
Co-Captain of Team Muse: My Articles, Videos & Battle Reports
A Doge's Breakfast: Seattle Edition - Video Diary from Lock and Load 2014
OzMachine - An Australian Warmachine and Hordes Podcast
+Quote Post
KIng Yoshi
post Apr 16 2013, 10:13 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 11,084

The coil piping is awesomely done.

Great pose overall

--------------------
Currently playing: khador, ret, Cygnar, Mercs, trolls, Legion, menoth, SkOrne, Farrow, Gators, Circle, CoC, Cryx

2013 Tournament record

SEQSE1 - 10/26. Cygnar [eHayley 3/0/0, pHayley 0/0/1]
SEQSE2 - 13/22 Cygnar [eHayley 2/0/0, pHayley 0/0/2]
WinterWarfest - 2nd/20 Khador [pIrusk 1/0/0, pButched 2/0/1]
Loungeroom Rumble - WOODEN SPOON BABY!!!

WANT TO BUY SOME RETRIBUTION OF SCYRAH???
Good Games League
+Quote Post
Bloodbrotherdave
post Apr 16 2013, 10:25 AM
Post #15

Devil Dog

Member No.: 441

are you remounting the chin gun to the main gun spot ben?

otherwise what are you going to do with that spot?

--------------------

I like to tell a little story about the last man who was in a sword fight with Caine. During the fight he was heard commenting on how crappy a blade it was, old and busted, not cared for, and on and on. Finally he asked Caine what its name was. Caine grinned and said "Sword." and then shot the guy 4 times.
PPS_Kevin
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 16 2013, 10:51 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Yep, the chin gun will be going in the old main gun mount. Lots of fun converting this one so far smile.gif

I had planned to use some spare armoured cabling left over from assembling a friend's Chaos Titan, but had trouble bending the stuff to fit: it's cast in a straight line, and intended to be heated and bent to shape. Boiling water did nothing, and while a hairdryer helped a bit, I ended up breaking it in half... so I decided to just make my own instead. I've used four pieces of thick aluminium wire for each cable - one with 0.5mm wire wrapped around it, one with a thin strand of picture-hanging wire, and one of the plain pieces has been torn and cut with some pliers. I think it's turned out well.

I've also started scraping away at the hull to weather it - small chips from rifle fire, some bigger holes from large-caliber weapons, and a few claw scratches. I think it's had a run in with a Slayer or a Warpwolf at some stage...

IPB Image

The scorpion-tail mount for the main gun is made out of the old undercarriage, though I underestimated just how tall it would stand on those front legs - that meant I needed to cut a wedge-shaped piece out of the metal undercarriage to stop the gun from pointing almost straight up in the air. I recycled the sliver of pewter by turning it into a collar, to help frame the head a bit better.

IPB Image

Still to come: more legs! Adding two more legs to each side, because you just can't scuttle effectively on only four limbs smile.gif Hopefully there will be a package from Big K in today's mail, as I've run out of Reaper helldrivers...

I'm thinking of trying a no-infantry list, just to see how Cryx can handle that kind of game. One-heavy-and-then-spam-infantry lists bore me to tears (*cough*mostKhadorandCryxlists*cough*). Some support solos, maybe an Arc Node or two (depending on the caster) and then a bunch of heavies. If I feel like I need a screening unit in there, I can drop a helljack for some Mechanithralls - they're dirt cheap, I like the models, and they don't take too many points away from the warjacks.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Apr 16 2013, 08:14 PM
Post #17

Pavè Accredited

Member No.: 101

Boss.

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

If your having adventuring problems I feel sorry for you son,
I dodged 99 arrows but my knee got one.

Say hello to my little friend!
+Quote Post
Forik
post Apr 16 2013, 09:47 PM
Post #18

The radnomancer

Member No.: 5,537

I wish i had those modelling skills.

--------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 17 2013, 11:03 AM
Post #19

Group Icon

No package in yesterday's mail, so I haven't glued much more on to the figure.

This is my plan for attaching the arms: two 1.25mm brass wire pins, to hold the arms in place without them twisting in the joint. I'm going to try painting and varnishing them separately, so that I have some hope in hell of transporting the finished model... I'll just have to be careful when putting the estapol finish onto the hull, as I don't want to accidentally fill in the holes that the pins will go into.

IPB Image

This is my test pose for adding MOAR LEGZ (blu-tacked in place, experimenting with using the existing ball joints to mount the secondary legs onto) - I should really get the angles right and then paint them separately, but I tend to be a bit trigger-happy when it comes to supergluing things together.

Alt-caption: Throw your lashing rotary meat harvesters in the air, like you just don't care!
IPB Image

I think the extra legs really help to change the overall feel of the build. Combined with the cut-down Corruptor arms on the front, all the extra limbs mean there's no dead space under the model. Crustaceans and arachnids can get away with smooth armoured upper surfaces, but if you flip one over it's a mess of moving parts - mouthpieces, tiny limbs, lots of articulated armour plates. That's the kind of look that I'm going for here.

The original legs and back are my least favourite part of the stock build (I think it looks a bit too much like a giant tick with a pipe organ on it...). I've tried to reduce the height of the rear section and change the angle to hide it a bit more, and then added more limbs to avoid having big empty areas on the sides.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Delrogue
post Apr 17 2013, 11:17 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 197

That's amazing Ben, easily the best Kraken conversion i've seen.

As far as using the model on the table, probably the best use i've seen of it is in a pSkarre list. Highly effective.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 04:45 PM