Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Terrian] [Infinity] Vissy - Takes on Bug Hunt Corridors, Infinity in Corridors: What Could Possibly go Wrong?
VisOne
post Sep 19 2013, 09:22 AM
Post #1

Combat Simian

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,758

Subject is pretty self explanatory my Level 3 Pledge for the recent Kick Starter product - Bug Hunt Corridors has arrived in the post today.

IPB Image

Now I've put a fair bit of thought into this project and the corridors themselves will only make up part of the table. I'm looking to get them done reasonably quickly and in a vary unique way to compared to how most people have taken on this product so far. This isn't nice clean space ship or a hulk slowing going to rust in space. Nor will it be a clean hazmat lab or under ground military complex. No I've decided to make it look like a 1950's medical complex/asylum with a deep secret secret. Think 'AREA 51' and the old space invader type of movies and you shouldn't be too far off.

I'll be off to the local super hardware store later today to pick up some paint and will hopefully have a test piece finished today. I intend on starting with rattle cans for the majority of the work then take to the finished base colours with my airbrush when I've got it all ready. The 2nd phase will be the 'AREA 51' parts of the complex and hopefully the good people over at BP Laser terrain will be able to help with some interesting bits and pieces I have planned for that!

Keep an eye peeled to this thread peep's should be fun! :3:

P.S. It won't be this good ..... but I bloody wish it would be! That said totally made for the wrong system shunnnn shunnnn the non-believer.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:52 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Sep 19 2013, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Are you going to do the rust colour, salt/liquid masking, topcoat method? Seems like it would give you the effect you're going for like in the above picture.

Also, if you haven't you should check out the marble hornets youtube series, they have an excellent abandoned asylum location for their show... I think it's part way through season 2.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 19 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Combat Simian

Good idea will give it a go. I've unboxed this monster I have ALLOT of work ahead of me.

The other thing I'm inclined to try is sponge weather followed by pigment powders.

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Sep 19 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #4

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

I'd go with sponge weathering, probably less work than masking...

Anyway, I'll be following this smile.gif

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
pancreasboy
post Sep 19 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 74

Following this 4 sure!!!

--------------------
Yourz Trooly,

PB
----------------------------------------------
TwistedPancreas
(portfolio website)
Tundra Trollblood Diary
Cryx Painting Diary
Cobblestone Board Diary
LOTR Diorama Diary
----------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 19 2013, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Combat Simian

Right some work has started and let me tell you straight off the bat I know I'm going to regret every cent of the $300 I pledge to this. When I unpacked the box I was just god smacked at all the little bags that were in there its allot of work.

Anyway less crying more work or the thing will never be done.

IPB Image

Base paints from left to right.

Fiddly Bits: Grey Primer $3.40 a can and a must have for this project the pieces soak up the normal rattle cans a bit to much.

Dulux Spraypak: Flat White $9.72 a can and the first non-enamel white I could find that would do the job.

Ironlak: Placid (Green or is it Blue?) $5.00 a can and the only available brand I could find that made the right sort of 'green' to get that 1950's feel.

Ironlaks is a a pretty interesting little group check out their website for more details and if your interested in where I got it. I purchased it from Crush City over on the southside of Brisbane. I highly recommend it even if you have never being a painter its still an interesting place to go and the Ironlak range is pretty decent for models as its acrylic not enamel.

IPB Image

First test piece gets its base coast.

Primer + Placid for the walls and Flat White for the floor and floor.

I'm hoping to get this together in a few mins and see how it looks!

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Krefey
post Sep 19 2013, 03:53 PM
Post #7

Phoenix Lord of the Forums
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 98

Mine hasn't shipped yet. Will be watching this one to see how you do yours up.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
Offering custom laser cut goods for your gaming needs :)
(I'm just starting out, but would welcome requests / input)
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 19 2013, 03:56 PM
Post #8

Combat Simian

QUOTE(Krefey @ Sep 19 2013, 03:53 PM) *

Mine hasn't shipped yet. Will be watching this one to see how you do yours up.

Sure you do hopefully you will be able to skip some of my ###### ups if you do. tongue.gif

Already made a mistake on my test piece and had to cut it about to re-glue it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Krefey
post Sep 19 2013, 03:58 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

Some of the other people I've seen doing it up have left the wall sections off until right at the end to make everything easier to paint.

--------------------
The Hobby Transporter is beginning to ship to backers! Keep an eye out for it going live on the Laser Shark Designs website!

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 19 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #10

Combat Simian

QUOTE(Krefey @ Sep 19 2013, 03:58 PM) *

Some of the other people I've seen doing it up have left the wall sections off until right at the end to make everything easier to paint.

All over it like white on rice in a snow storm.

Batch painting is the only way to go with this project me thinks there is just to much to do! I've do a little bit for my test hall piece today.

IPB Image

All the walls primed and base coated.

IPB Image

Braces are just primed, I think I'll leave them grey.

IPB Image

Floors/grates are primed and hit with the white base coat.

IPB Image

Bracing really helps with some of the rooms.

IPB Image

Close up of the test piece with a Nomad Zero for size/comparison.

IPB Image

Overview of the test piece with a Nomad Zero for size/comparison.

Now I have not painted the outside of anything yet. It will be black but for now because I'm trying to get a good test piece out quickly I'm cutting corners a little.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Sep 19 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Tomato
Group Icon

Looking good, kind of regretting not getting some of these...

--------------------

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 19 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #12

Combat Simian

Right I'm pretty much calling these finished at this point. Short of a few finishing touches when the entire board is complete such as some hazard signs and the like.

IPB Image

Sponge Weather liberally with a Neutral Grey and then a lesser amount with Dark Brown and finally even less Black

Wash: 40 parts Water, 5 parts Dark Brown, 1 part Red and 1 part Orange mix vigorously

Wash is then applied to areas where rain water/seepage would naturally occur. Example around corners and out of air/circulation vents.

Decals are the same printed hazard stripes as I use on all of my terrain and the bases of my miniatures as seen here on the Nomad: Mobile Brigada.

IPB Image

So ladies and gents have I hit the look on the head or what?

P.S. Excuse the horrible hand painting of the outside I'll spray the rest of the pieces black on the outside from now on before I assemble them all. sleep.gif

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Krefey
post Sep 20 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Looks good to me smile.gif

--------------------

www.celestial-lions.net

Laser Shark Designs
Webstore
+Quote Post
Gormath
post Sep 20 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,373

That second photo in the first post... man I have been in heaps of places like that. Good times.

--------------------
+Quote Post
the_PARIAH
post Sep 20 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8,601

I want some of these for my sedition wars stuff! Keep it up!

--------------------
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 20 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #16

Combat Simian

QUOTE(Gormath @ Sep 20 2013, 05:52 PM) *

That second photo in the first post... man I have been in heaps of places like that. Good times.

Well I'm thanking myself its not resin atleast I don't have to wash the plywood for this!

IPB Image

This is just a shot of how each straight piece comes in its own bag.

Every single product has every single one of its fully cut pieces in a bag and any small fiddly bits are in a 2nd bag withing the first. I really like this compared to other methods of packaging I have seen. Also I have to say after making a number of pieces from more than a few different suppliers of lazer cut terrain plywood is a much better product than MDF for this application.

IPB Image

Batch painting its the way of the future right? These are all floors for all 18 straight sections .... alllllll 18 sleep.gif

IPB Image

Right?

IPB Image

Come on its got to be.

IPB Image

So bloody over it by this stage.

However I did try something new today! Lets have a look at some gravel weathering; yeah bet you weren't expecting that!

IPB Image

A little tutorial on GRAVEL WEATHERING! It takes the things, primes it and then when its still a little sticky to the touch.

IPB Image

It add's the GRAVEL!

IPB Image

It then puts on the next coat of paint and lets dry.

IPB Image

Then using something sharp/flat scrap/rub the gravel off and this is what you get a very distressed looking bit of terrain ready for washes and weathering powders. Don't do this one models for the love of god!

Finally here are all 18 x Straight Sections base coated and assembled.

IPB Image

Many thanks to my good mate Chopper for helping with the assembly line today!

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Sep 20 2013, 09:56 PM
Post #17

Tomato
Group Icon

They look great smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Sep 22 2013, 01:14 AM
Post #18

Combat Simian

I've made some meaningful progress on the table today.

IPB Image

Well here is what I have achieved over the last couple of days. This is maybe 20% complete in regards to building and getting it table top quality.

If I'm serious about going the whole way on this project its really only more like 7% the amount of time you could spend on the little things like aligning the pieces perfectly and painting every leading or hidden edge is mind boggling.

IPB Image

Close up of what I've done with the floors and a bit of scatter and minis for scale. I'm not happy with everything so far in regards to painting but the airbrush will fix allot of it later. Including the hard to reach areas for the foam/brush weathering and also just generally getting the clean as to dirty areas to transition better.

However right now its story time!

IPB Image

Elements of the Nomad Society are forced to barricade themselves up in one of their Caravansary's after a threat is made on one of key Diplomats to the Haqqislam Nation.

IPB Image

Little do they know the enemy is not at the gates but already within.

The Hassassin's never make idle threats and care not about escaping after the fact.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post Sep 22 2013, 05:26 PM
Post #19

Coolbreeze

Member No.: 7,863

Looking good mang!!

--------------------
"SIR I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL"

"NO SIR I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, THOUGH I DO BITE MY THUMB SIR"

"Conan What is best in life??" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women"

" IM FIZZZZIIIIINNNN BRUTHA"

QUOTE(J.D.Entropy @ Aug 9 2012, 09:13 PM)

If they ask, you must be prepared to answer the riddle of steel, laugh at their 4 winds and show them what is best in life.

Related question: where can I buy stygian black lotus?

QUOTE(TheOriginalHavoc @ Oct 26 2012, 11:41 AM)

Argo Affleck is the GBU43/B to Phantoms BLU-8/B.

Not that I've actually seen it, so he may actually be closer to Sum of all Fears 'Dirty Bomb'
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Sep 22 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #20

Tomato
Group Icon

Yeah, real good smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2017 - 07:52 AM