Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Epic] Iyanden craftworld Eldar, Wraithblades complete!
morsla
post Nov 29 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I like 40k, but I've realised that the sorts of armies that I really want to collect are unlikely to ever fit into my house. This is my solution to that problem smile.gif

I won't have much time to paint until the end of January, but I wanted to try out a colour scheme that's been in my head for ages. On my lunch break today, these happened...

IPB Image

Still super-shiny from the gloss varnish, but I want to pick up some matte spray (probably Tamiya or Dullcote, unless someone recommends another brand) to seal these when I have more figures painted.

I really like these figures. After stalking them on eBay for a while, I should now have a few packages arriving in time for the post-thesis painting binge that I see in my future...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Nov 29 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #2

Authority Bared

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 4,901

Those look awesome. What did you use for the cracked earth? LMK if you want to get a learning game sometime Ben (you haven't played yet, right?)

I really like epic and small scale in general for getting the "I want to build this army in this scheme" bug off your back in a more time and financially economical way than 28s

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
morsla
post Nov 29 2013, 02:00 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

The flat areas on the bases have been undercoated black and then given a layer of the "Agrellan Earth" paint from the new Citadel Technical range. It's the first GW paint I've bought in years (after looking at Mousemuffins' diary) - well worth the purchase so far.

Varying the thickness of the layer seems to be important, so you get an uneven drying time for it. That gives a mix of small and large cracks in the surface. Using a hairdryer to speed things up seems to be a bad idea - it dried, but virtually no new cracks appeared after that point. It's interesting stuff to use, and works well for the scale.

I might take you up on that offer some time next year - I've never played, but I'm planning to paint a lot of these figures...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Nov 29 2013, 02:02 PM
Post #4

Authority Bared

Sounds interesting.

No worries. I've only got one painted army but have a second unpainted if you don't have a full force by then.

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Nov 29 2013, 02:08 PM
Post #5

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Awesome!!!

--------------------
WAU's opinionated idiot.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but they could at least acknowledge that I'm right.
QUOTE(Shotgun @ Mar 27 2014, 05:40 PM) *
Attention seeking statement seeks attention.

QUOTE(handmadebuffalo @ Jan 2 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Hats off to JJJJ for applying logic

Painted last year: 239!
Painted this year: 164/365
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Nov 29 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #6

Authority Bared

[Summer of Gaming]?

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
+Quote Post
Hapless Peon
post Nov 29 2013, 02:13 PM
Post #7

Wyrd Henchman

Member No.: 7,498

Might have to give the crackle paint a go myself. Looking awesome Morsla.

--------------------
“You just don’t invade another country on phony pretexts in order to assert your interests.” - US Secretary of State, John Kerry (2014)
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Nov 29 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #8

Authority Bared

Also, just a thought, the yellow in the picture looks a little undefined, perhaps a black oil wash to pick up the panel lines and detail a bit? Or just a really sparing regular wash if you're not messing with oils yet.

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
+Quote Post
morsla
post Nov 29 2013, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Group Icon

My Summer break doesn't start until February, but I guess this can still count as new diary thread...

The photo's pretty washed out (gloss + glare from the window + cameraphone) so doesn't show much detail - there are a few different levels of yellow on there, though. Once they have a matte varnish on them, I'll probably go back and add one more sharp edge highlight to the yellow and blue.

Also, these just arrived in today's mail:

IPB Image

In a rare moment of common sense, I promptly gave the package to Louise and asked her to only give them back once I've finished writing another chapter.

I'm dropping offline for a bit (and unplugging the modem for good measure) to make that happen... motivation is a wonderful thing biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Nov 29 2013, 02:59 PM
Post #10

Authority Bared

In a rare moment of common sense, I promptly gave the package to Louise and asked her to only give them back once I've finished writing another chapter.

Good idea.

I'm dropping offline for a bit (and unplugging the modem for good measure) to make that happen... motivation is a wonderful thing biggrin.gif

Double good idea.

Good luck.

I really love those E40k era eldar tanks, they're so hard to find cheaply enough though.

I hate those revenants though... Have you seem the awesome edition ones: IPB Image

Rare as all hell though. I've thought about trying to convert them out of 28mm... I think it could be done...

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
+Quote Post
Ronin
post Nov 29 2013, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,512

Simply brilliant!! Love the colours, the clean paintjob that really helps bring out those flames and the terrain/crackle basing. May be interested in getting some of that business soon.....

Great stuff and really look forward to the post thesis fun.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rice Array
post Nov 29 2013, 07:40 PM
Post #12

derp

Member No.: 12,942

QUOTE(morsla @ Nov 29 2013, 02:56 PM) *

Sweet. One mod down, how many to go? We'll keep the forum in good order for you.

--------------------
🍞💩🍞

hey Rice Array, thanks for the tip. There are always new ways of adding nothing of any value to the web. Technology, man. Who knew?
+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post Nov 29 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #13

Coolbreeze

Member No.: 7,863

Love it! Looking forward to seeing more of your epic!

--------------------
"SIR I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL"

"NO SIR I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, THOUGH I DO BITE MY THUMB SIR"

"Conan What is best in life??" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women"

" IM FIZZZZIIIIINNNN BRUTHA"

QUOTE(J.D.Entropy @ Aug 9 2012, 09:13 PM)

If they ask, you must be prepared to answer the riddle of steel, laugh at their 4 winds and show them what is best in life.

Related question: where can I buy stygian black lotus?

QUOTE(TheOriginalHavoc @ Oct 26 2012, 11:41 AM)

Argo Affleck is the GBU43/B to Phantoms BLU-8/B.

Not that I've actually seen it, so he may actually be closer to Sum of all Fears 'Dirty Bomb'
+Quote Post
cmdr_roy
post Nov 29 2013, 08:24 PM
Post #14

Pavè Accredited

Member No.: 101

4stars

--------------------
Reuse Repurpose Recycle

If your having adventuring problems I feel sorry for you son,
I dodged 99 arrows but my knee got one.

Say hello to my little friend!
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Nov 30 2013, 01:33 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,488

They look brain-meltingly gorgeous already. Don't you dare improve them or I'll end up like those guys from Raiders of the Lost Ark. armata_PDT_08.gif

Looking forward to seeing how the rest turn out.

Like the Chaplain I'm not a fan of the Revenants you've got in those blisters (aka the funky grimdark chickens). Strangely enough they seem to fetch a much higher eBay price than the older (better-looking) Revenants. Possibly because hardly anyone bought them at the time...

They actually brought the older Revenants and Phantoms from the late 80s back into production by popular demand because the E40K era ones were so dire. Later on the Revenants were replaced by the humanoid ones in Chaplain's photo, but Jes's Phantoms and Warlocks from 1988 were still on sale from GW right up till the middle of this year.

OK, switching off tangent rant mode now...

--------------------
Modelling diary: Zenith's Occasionally Hypothetical Blog
Current projects: Epic 40,000, BFG and LotR SBG
+Quote Post
morsla
post Nov 30 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

I must be one of the few people who likes those Revenants biggrin.gif

They seem to attract some ridiculous bids on eBay, but these ones were about £6 each - which seemed pretty reasonable for 650 points of the army.

I can't stand the Phantom Titan from the same era - the proportions seem all wrong; barrel-chested and pin-headed. But I think the Grimdark Revenants work well alongside the plastic Wraithguard infantry... and I'm not a huge fan of the goofy robots-with-hooves look from the 1st Gen Revenants and the Bright Stallion knights.

I put some matte varnish onto the bases, as I was worried about some of the bigger cracks just flaking off. Not sure that I like the result though - it still looks fine from the top, but viewed side-on the bases have lost all their relief. Also, I forgot that I'd added some weathering pigments and they promptly dissolved into the varnish, leaving some streaky tide marks where it dried first.

I'll check them tomorow (just in case the varnish shrinks a bit overnight) - if it still bugs me tomorrow, I might just re-do the bases on these ones. Guess that's what a test model is for wink.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Reunion-Round
post Nov 30 2013, 12:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,737

Fortis, Mono on here has an Iyandan army made from the figs.

Morsla, Looks great mate. Love the bases, have to give that stuff a go myself.
+Quote Post
morsla
post Dec 1 2013, 08:55 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

I've decided to bow to the inevitable and turn this thread into a proper modelling diary - seems to make more sense than re-starting things in a few months. Plus, I'm likely to keep tinkering with things for a while before I start the full army.

In the meantime, this is the start of a Garrison unit: five stands of Rangers smile.gif

IPB Image

Mind you, I'm not entirely sure what a "Garrison" unit is just yet. Rangers (and War Walkers, which I don't own) are apparently the only Iyanden units that can do it, so I thought I should probably take some...

I'm building this army on a few assumptions:

- Constant playtesting from the community means that all the Epic units seem worth taking
- Who am I kidding, I'll be lucky to play more than a handful of games anyway...

That means I'm surprisingly unconcerned about what the actual rules do in this game, which makes a nice change from virtually everything else I play these days. I'll make sure whatever I paint can fit into legal formations, and if/when I play some games, I'll pick whatever looks good at the time.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
awesomeshotdude
post Dec 1 2013, 09:12 PM
Post #19

Dead Picts surround me

From: ...the battlefield, drenched in blood, slaying all around me...
Member No.: 9,360

QUOTE(morsla @ Dec 1 2013, 08:55 PM) *

That means I'm surprisingly unconcerned about what the actual rules do in this game, which makes a nice change from virtually everything else I play these days. I'll make sure whatever I paint can fit into legal formations, and if/when I play some games, I'll pick whatever looks good at the time.

The best way to do it in my opinion smile.gif

I really love those guys in the first post mate, you did an awesome job on those. I've painted some of them myself and know how small they are...the blue flames look superb and would be incredibly hard to do so well.

The cracked earth bases look insanely awesome too...great work and I'm looking forward to seeing a lot more...

--------------------
“Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet.”
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Dec 1 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #20

Authority Bared

Garrison units let you deploy them after the main deployment is done, they deploy forward near the objectives in overwatch. It's good as area denial early game.

LMK if you need some help deciding what stuff you need and how it is arranged, but you're right, it's fine to just paint whatever as long as the formations are legal.

If you haven't already get the compendium rules, it's the easiest format to view the rules in.

And while there has been lots of playtesting there isn't any modification to the base lists, so they are surprisingly poorly balanced internally. I think eldar are fairly high on the external power scale anyway, so it's not as much of an issue with them, but with say, marines, you can really easily end up with a totally gimped army.

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 04:45 PM