Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [WFB] Northern Dwarf Throng, It's taken awhile to get the photo's done but here is the star
Marcus Marc
post Sep 24 2014, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,026

Hello All

I finally got time to take some photos of my dwarves. I have had them for years but until the new book I was not really a big fan. So I have taken the opportunity to get all stunty and added a Mantic Battle Box and 4 old metal copters. The two larger ones were to be bombers but play testing has confirmed that bombers just don't rate.

I am basing my army up in the north so they will be geographically close to my Nordland Empire Army. The rangers did at one time form a regular part of my Empire list, as did an ogre unit. Good days.

The throng so far is almost 6000 pts when I get to the 30 mantic missile troops off there spus. I have made metal movement trays for most units and magnetised nearly half the army so far. Since magnetising my Empire I have become a big fan of this and it was the first thing I did with the dwarves. It makes playing with them so much easier. The other thing you will notice in the pics of the Mantic hammerers and some of the Ironbreakers (not done with them yet) is that mine have proper beards. Each hammerer has his own green beard added to the short Mantic one. Adding beards has slowed down the painting but they just don't look right with those short beards.

Here is a list of the throng so far.
*indicates painted models.

Lord – on Shield Bearers *
Lord on foot
2 Daemon Slayer
1 White Dwarf
Lord (character?)

2 Master Engineer *1
2 Runesmith *
1 Thane BSB *

33 Dwarf Warriors - Shield
30 Dwarf Warriors - Shield
29 Dwarf Warriors - Great Weapon *

25 Hammerers
30 Ironbreakers
18 Miners
17 Slayers

18 Rangers *
17 Thunders
30 Mantic missile troops still on spu

1 Flame Cannon
1 Grudge Thrower
1 Bolt Thrower
3 Cannon *2
2 Organ Gun *2
4 Gyrocopter *2

So to the pics.

ADD DWARF THRONG

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Lord on Shieldbearers
These boys had some serious trouble holding that shield, but once the glue dried they stuck to their job. She does well but I think the beards and her hair might be better red or tan/fawn to stand our more. If I have my way hers will be the only heater shield in the army. Dwarves have round shields, that's it, only round shields.

IPB Image

IPB Image

A group shoot of the painted heros. Lord on foot; rune priest; rune lord; engineer; BSB.
IPB Image

IPB Image

Lord on foot.
I picked this fellow up years ago and see him as the wild lord with his horns.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Rune Priest
For the rune priest and lord I have simply gone for different paint schemes and left the lord with the banner. I am starting to like red beards now so I think the troops will have a lot more of them.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Engineer and BSB
I recently discovered that my engineer is in fact crew for the stone thrower, so I may need to source another soon. I really am not good with the painting of my manners. Some effort will need to be applied. I always make the decision to paint models over free hand banners.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Next up are the unpainted lords and heros. A White Dwarf and a Lord who's name escapes me as the moment (his paint is as I got him). The two daemon slayers have not hit the table yet. I think I may add them when I know the ogres are coming or a greater daemon.

IPB Image

Dwarf Warriors
These guys are a real mix of models, all HWS. You will see a few in the front with green stuff added to make their beards more impressive.
IPB Image

I have always been fond of these fellows, but of cause their beards need work. These were some of my earlier beards and the green stuff was white and not so good. Since the photo was taken I have tried adding some tubing onto the ends of their axes to make them great weapons. It however makes them extend to far, so they no longer rank up. Maybe putting ever second one on a diagonal slotter base.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The GW warriors are all painted. The represent the local lads all getting together so the shirts and pants are just what they normally ware. However the maille is all edged in green to represent their local color. Again you will see several different models here, including the old metal hammers. They fit in quit well into this unit.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

There are two groups of fours which make it a lot easier to put them back on at the end of a game.
IPB Image

Couldn’t help myself the 3rd guy along in this pic got a bread extention.

IPB Image

Please let me know what you think. I am tending toward more red beard.

This post has been edited by Marcus Marc: Sep 29 2014, 11:30 PM

--------------------
Current gaming armies. (*current painting project)

FOGA: ..... Roman
FOGN: ..... British Penninsular ........ Spinish ............ French .... ...........
40k: .........Space Wolves 5000pts...........Dark Eldar 4000 ......... Tau
Fantasy: .. Empire (Nordland) 8000pts ....Warriors of Chaos 5000pts .... Dwarves 6000pts*
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
the duke
post Sep 24 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,440

Nice work on the beard extensions, the Mantic ones seem a bit too short and will help them fit in.

--------------------
Something something something
+Quote Post
Shiaic
post Sep 29 2014, 07:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,512

Awesome army!

I like the conversions and the beard modeling. Also, I like how you are using Dwarfs from a range of mini companies and blending them together with the same theme. I always figured that armies like this could just represent regiments forming an combined army from several different dwarf holds, where the troops from each have a slightly different culture.

I am doing a similar project at the moment (I've only got 4000 pts of dwarfs though). With the older citadel plastic minis (the ones with the single pose), I clipped them off the diagonal bases I bought them with and re-based them facing forward, but so that every second one was slightly further forward and the others slightly further back. I found that this helped them sit close to each other on the movement tray without tilting and jostling.

I see also you are on the Brisbane Northside... you will have to show me that beard sculpting technique. Otherwise I have a 7000 pt O&G army... (The dwarfs are my second smallest army wink.gif.

Nice work.

Cheers,

- Shiaic

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Sep 29 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #4

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Could you fix the pics? you need to remove the ".html" from all the img links

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Marcus Marc
post Sep 29 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #5

Hello Shiaic

I'm a big fan of blending models. I have many old metals older them my kids. It just adds variety in your army and gives you scope to make your army even more individual.

The beards are not hard. I select a piece of green stuff the size and shape I want and usually use the end of my craft knife to make the strands of hair. The trick comes in blending the strands into the existing beard. With the hammerers I then pressed in the hammers into the beard to give the effect of the hammer pulling the beard in.
I regularly play against O&G they can have some very interesting list.

Shiaic I also sent you a PM

Chaplain PM sent.

This post has been edited by Marcus Marc: Sep 29 2014, 10:53 PM

--------------------

FOGN: ..... British Penninsular ........ Spinish ............ French .... ...........
Fantasy: .. Empire (Nordland) 8000pts ....Warriors of Chaos 5000pts .... Dwarves 6000pts*
+Quote Post
Marcus Marc
post Sep 29 2014, 11:39 PM
Post #6

I edited the first post and had to delete most of it as it then said I had too many pictures so I have re-posted the deleted pics here.

The Hammers are from Mantic. I got one of the battle boxes. The whole unit has been bearded.
They and the flame cannon are my next painting jobs.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The Ironbreakers (Mantic), slayers and the miners are at best just undercoated at this time, not sure when they will make it to the painting table. You will need to look for them in the big army photos.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I didn't take a unit picture of the iron breakers as they still don't have all their beards. I also want to put round shield on them and I have not yet found what I want. This is a sample but the shield needs to be more impressive.

IPB Image

These are the old Bugmans Rangers. I tend to use them as xbows until I can assemble the Mantic ones that came in the battle box. These models use to regularly appear in my Empire when you could have them as DOW. That’s why they all have blue sleaves. Now I usually run 5 as ranges and the rest with a unit filler as xbows with great weapons. The scouting rangers now have green sleaves.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The flame cannon is based on the Mantic war machine carriage so I can still swop in the organ gun or
cannon. The front and rear parts are from a musician and added to the barrel. I might yet add some
more bits yet. I am very happy with this conversion. The crew not pictured will be standard Mantic crew.

IPB Image

IPB Image

There is a bit of tubing that runs from the whole in the barrel to the whole in the rear mechanism.

IPB Image

Here are my two staples, the cannon. All the war machine crew have a slightly different colour scheme, while still maintaining the green theme.
IPB Image

IPB Image

The two organ guns. The first is a scratch build one. The crew here include lantern carrying conversion, a Mantic model and as I now know a stone thrower crew.

IPB Image

Each of the crew for this machine is a conversion. IPB Image

Now to my favourite paint job. The photos do not do justice to the highlights. We see another red bread here and I fell the work well with the rest of the colour scheme. While the grey beard on the other copter just disappears.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The other two copters are the old 3 prop ones. They are still rare metal, although I have started running 3 copters so one of them may make the table soon.

I have also made a few fillers which are always handy for building out a unit.

The drunk dwarf and his guard dog. I have to add his drinking mug to complete the picture.
IPB Image

No dwarf will march without a ready supply of beer.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have made a start on the hammer unit with two test models I will get a pic up when done.

Greg

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Sep 30 2014, 01:00 PM
Post #7

On Parole

Member No.: 5,217

Mantic + Greenstuff = Win

--------------------
All Blacks Cheat Academy
+Quote Post
Marcus Marc
post Oct 1 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Jimbo81 @ Sep 30 2014, 01:00 PM) *

Mantic + Greenstuff = Win

Hello Jimbo, they just scream "green me".

Here are the first couple of the Hammerers. As these guys are the Kings bodyguard they will all be outfitted by him so are all in uniform. I will sneak in some colour in the pants and shirts but it will mostly be green and brown.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I am happy with the caps, they are quite quick to do and have a good effect. I decided that the piece on the shoulders should be leather with iron plates. I have seen a lot of variety on the models I viewed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steeley21
post Oct 4 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,351

Hi mate, awesome work on the beards, consider the idea stolen!

--------------------
Newcastle Legions represent

Infinity- Nomad Corregidor and Aleph
WHFB- Brettonians, Empire
Flames Late war Americans
+Quote Post
Katdragon
post Oct 4 2014, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 15,967

That guard dog is so cool!
+Quote Post
Marcus Marc
post Oct 4 2014, 10:29 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Katdragon @ Oct 4 2014, 05:30 PM) *

That guard dog is so cool!

Hello Katdragon the dogs come with the Mantic kits.

Steal away Steely21 the best ideas are always free.

Greg

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steeley21
post Oct 23 2014, 07:56 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 12,351

Haha, cheers, I'm also stealing the hammerer conversions. I was given a whole bunch of mantic dwarves, so yea. Cheers;)

--------------------
Newcastle Legions represent

Infinity- Nomad Corregidor and Aleph
WHFB- Brettonians, Empire
Flames Late war Americans
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2018 - 02:51 PM