Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Terrain] [Infinity] Vissy - Takes on Zen Terrain, All the While Making Footprints in the Snow
VisOne
post Mar 30 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #1

Combat Simian

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,758

Right so it has being quite a while since I did a terrain diary and while I have actually made some more terrain since then in the great purge that was our purchasing our first home a tiny little 3 bedroom ex army place and moving contents the mighty man-cave, man-office and man-storage areas into one tiny room I got rid of alot of things.

I've farmed out my other 3 Infinity tables for use by the community and now about 3 months ago I decided I saw a deal too good to refuse in the form of Zen Terrain out of Poland having what amounted to a 15% off sale during the christmas ordering period. 15% off a already discount lasercut MDF terrain manufacturer is pretty good basically offset the postage costs.

So after a little google-fu and price comparisons with the amazing local producers and suppliers I thought that an outlay of I €90.19 ($140.69 AUD) worth of products at the time for about a good solid 50% to 60% coverage on a 4' by 4' infinity table was a solid investment. I might have gotten like locally but I'm always looking to diversify my collection and therefore the available terrain in my META Infinity areas.

The irony that its just another city table in a META basically full of city tables isn't lost on me though. However I have a plan for that too a little on that later.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

So lets ignore the scale of the products for now or lack of scale indicators we know its 28mm and built for infinity thats just what I ordered.

The centre piece will be the dice tower whether it gets used as dice tower or not is irrelevant to me because I've always being a believer that any good Infinity table (not set in corridors/inside) needs a varied height profile and the dice tower delivers that in spades not to mention will draw the eye of anyone perusing the tables.

So that covers the brought ready to make and paint component of the table. What's going to really challenge me this time is I'm intending to attempt my first snow table. I've never done snow bases on models, snow camouflage, weather on white surfaces or anything to that effect. Nor have I seen a table here in Brisbane like that aside from the odd hot wire cut blue foam table around the place.

So I intend of doing something interesting to add further flavour to this board and try new techniques such realistic snow effect using baking soda/bicarbonate of soda method. The other thing I'm keen to try is recreating a very interesting geological rock formation of either hexagonal basalt columns found in Northern Ireland in the area called the Giant's Causeway or the Hoodoo Rocks found in and around the USA in places like Goblin Valley. Finally to break the whole scheme up I'll use a little flock and miniature tufts to break up each little.

IPB Image

So thats the brief and I've started on building my Zen Terrain I've already broken one of my basic rules of not priming and painting the various buildings in different colours to save time.

I'm going to attend the ANZAC CUP in only a few weeks and I hope to have this table operating if not finished for then!

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 03:53 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pancreasboy
post Mar 30 2015, 03:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 74

woah gonna watch this one too!!

--------------------
Yourz Trooly,

PB
----------------------------------------------
TwistedPancreas
(portfolio website)
Tundra Trollblood Diary
Cryx Painting Diary
Cobblestone Board Diary
LOTR Diorama Diary
----------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 31 2015, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Combat Simian

Interesting will take pictures later when I can confirm the issues but I've just had fun trying to prime HDF products again.

My hypothesis on this material is unsuitable for laser cut terrain is certainly only being reinforced.

Looks like I will have to look at other methods of priming other than using products I've know work in the past.

Granted there are some variables in play product, weather and the like may have affected the outcome this time but I don't think any of those variables are the core issue.

IPB Image

Pretty bad but basically it goes as follows left to right.

*Caveat areas where I applied or over applied PVA glue are taken into account as taking paint and drying differently. Nor have I applied any other form of product to promote coverage before priming as I normally do not.

Dulux Matt White 3 x coats poor coverage even with that and very odd texture as the HDF soaks up the paint at different rates. Does not take paint well but does seem to actually wick paint into the etchings later.

Motortech Grey Primer 3 x coats poor coverage again where you can see even more of the HDF base than the white. Takes secondary colours well though.

Motortech Matt Black 2 x coats terrible picture but it actually got decent coverage to continue on painting even without sprays or airbrushing.

Anyway!

I worked through it like I always do and painted the rest Black (pictured) and started my intended way of 'snowing' up the buildings a little.

IPB Image

First I turned the buildings over and did a zenithal highlight using the Grey (pictured) then I hit it with the White (pictured) I then turned the buildings back up right and did the same process from the top but tried to keep it mainly on the roof/areas which snow or frost would naturally gather. Thus giving the basic illusion of snow building from the ground up and settling from the air on top.

I will continue to enforce this illusion later with the airbrush and the realist snow product I will make. I intend on using the snow product much more sparingly though.

Windows will get some OSL with the airbrush and I'll pick out a few of the etched details like the doors and signage to make the buildings pop a little.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 31 2015, 12:36 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 31 2015, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Combat Simian

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sooo monochrome sooo need the colours.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 1 2015, 04:21 AM
Post #5

Combat Simian

I've being defining the colour scheme more as I start working on etched details.

Happy with the black, white and yellow contrast should make for a great looking board.

I'm also kind of the mind that the yellow paint is some safety paint that helps keep dangerous areas frost free and increases visibility during blizzards and the like. Yeap thats why its applied so haphazardly and only on areas you can see. tongue.gif

IPB Image

These are the three camo patterns I had intended on giving a go but my priming issues dropped them in the bin real quick.

IPB Image

I simply don't have the time to piss fart around putting multiple layers of paint down and then masking off or using blue tac to create something like this.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Apr 1 2015, 04:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ipaintyourstuff(Adam)
post Apr 1 2015, 08:05 AM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,444

Great!! Looking forward to progress on this one!

--------------------
Instagram @ipaintyourstuff
+Quote Post
waargh
post Apr 1 2015, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Ruining the hobby

Member No.: 633

g'donya vissy, the yellow is bringing it together nicely and i like how the black/white spraycan basecoat is giving a snowy kinda effect

only suggestion is to v lightly dust with a light blue in parts just to add a bit more depth to some of the flatter panels
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 1 2015, 01:08 PM
Post #8

Combat Simian

QUOTE(waargh @ Apr 1 2015, 09:20 AM) *
only suggestion is to v lightly dust with a light blue in parts just to add a bit more depth to some of the flatter panels

Roger that I'm tempted to get the airbrush out this afternoon to add some more depth to it and attempt a little OSL from the windows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 1 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #9

Combat Simian

So OSL can suck a huge fat dick cause its hard as hell to do well.

IPB Image

I'm going to get rid of the window OSL because its just too much.

IPB Image

The rest can stay I might .... might give them a hit with some white but I'm worried its just going to make it look worse thanks to the already enhanced (airbrushed) snow and sky highlights.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 1 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #10

Combat Simian

That's enough time wasted on this part of the build. If I can get the dice tower and other assorted bits and pieces to this level in time for the Anzac cup I'll be happy.

IPB Image

The OSL is something I can continue to work on more if I want to or on other projects.

I'm not going to have time to do my tundra snow/rock components of the board at this rate. I might however get time to at least make a table mat to give the impression of snow. I can then fill the table out with my metric ###### tone of other scatter terrain and what not I own.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 6 2015, 10:56 PM
Post #11

Combat Simian

I've managed to get a little more done for this build over the long weekend.

You will be able to see I'm getting very close to finishing all of my Zen Terrain pieces I brought especially for this build and I'm now adding some of the other pieces I've had around the house to further flesh the table out.

These other pieces however come from a different business and are not HDF or MDF but rather cardboard. Neil over at http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/ supplied them to me back in 2014. Card differs greatly from HDF and MDF especially in what you can do with it and how you as a end user work with it.

What you will be able to identify in the following shots are a Ratel IFV a series of Packing Crates and Skips and Bins set. I actually have allot more to build from my Laser Cut Card order but I may or may not use it all on this table.

Anyway enough about where I source things and what their made out of lets have a little look at where the build is at.

IPB Image

Pretty happy with it as it stands aesthetically. I'm kicking myself for misplacing my 4' by 4' tabletop in the move I honestly have no idea where it is or how good my board coverage is at this point though. I'll mark out a 4' by 4' on the floor once I get my Dice Tower built and decide if I need to add more like my Container Site Office or my other vehicles

IPB Image

IPB Image

I think the widgets just add allot of character to the buildings wish they made a full set like CNC Terrain do just for adding to plain buildings/DIY builds.

IPB Image

I love the Ratel IFV so much only thing I would like more is a Bushmaster if only Neil made one of them but alas he is a South African so it just makes sense that his go to is SANDF vehicle. I'm really looking forward to giving it some camouflage treatment so far its just being hit with a rattle can grey primer. I will preshade some areas and give it another going over with another grey as the base of my snow camo. Then either hit it with the old blue tac + 2 or 3 colours or maybe a fly screen mesh version. I tried to get some of those amazing stencils/stickers that have being getting around from Anarchy Models but I didn't get in on the kickstarter so sourcing some is hard.

IPB Image

Not allot to say about the crates other than the fact they have gotten CHEAPER then when I ordered them last. They are worth their weight in gold ..... is that a pun? Because they are seriously light I actually put white metal sprue/flash offcuts in them to give them a little weight. Anyway if you don't find anything else you need from Neil then this is certainly the product to buy and try.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Apr 6 2015, 11:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Apr 7 2015, 04:19 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 446

It is nice to see produced stuff actually built. I have been looking a the Lazer cut card stuff for a while now.

I just wish he made the containers 60-63mm not 44mm. 44mm is actually about right scale wise but is sux in 40K scale. i made my originals about that size and upscaled them to make them work better.

I use blue metal borrowed off Main Roads to weigh them down.

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 7 2015, 06:36 AM
Post #13

Combat Simian

QUOTE(Blackhearts Reaver @ Apr 7 2015, 04:19 AM) *
I just wish he made the containers 60-63mm not 44mm. 44mm is actually about right scale wise but is sux in 40K scale. i made my originals about that size and upscaled them to make them work better.

HAHA 40K Scale is that some sort of joke?

Infinity is bad enough for scale creep lately with the heavy infantry models getting progressively bigger and bigger. Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000 never seemed to even have a core scale the were building for to begin with. Giant google headed bear pawed monsters they all are and heaven forbid they make a normal sized vehicle to fit their monster men in as a transport.

That sillyness aside you're not going to find something 20 odd mm bigger out there if people are working from the core '28mm' scale which in itself isn't really a true scale either.

Unless you make it known their is possible demand for it. This is what I find so great about the surge in small mum and pop laser cut terrain businesses there is no job too small no idea thats taboo!

If you talk to Neil from Laser Cut Card, Krzysztof from Zen Terrain, the boys Mark and Shaun from THMXCessories or Paul from BP Laser terrain all of them are super amendable and if they have already got a design they will just scale it up to meet your demand or if not they will probably just go back to the drawing board and design a new piece. Viewing it not always as just a once off but as a challenge and a possible new market void to fill regardless of whether its a niche at first.

I've also found they take feedback especially in regards to playability or structural design really well.

So why not shoot out a couple of emails and see?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Blackhearts Reaver
post Apr 7 2015, 11:43 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 446

Nah I just make my own.

IPB Image

--------------------
Run local tourneys, Make terrain. 75,000+ pts...Play 1-3 games a week...(40K,BFG,BB,FoW).
Good Trader +149 .....QLD Masters: 1st/14(Tau), 1st/12(Daemons), 4th/15(Daemons), 1st/16(Orks), 2nd/15? (IG), 6th/22(Eldar).
AUS ranking=briefly No.1. :) ATC2011=QLD team ChampionsATC2012=QLD 5th
Retired from Competitive play sometime early? 2013

Try to be positive and help... not negative and tear things down.

"I passionately believe that's it's not just what you say that counts, it's also how you say it - that the success of your argument critically depends on your manner of presenting it." Alain de Botton
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 7 2015, 11:54 AM
Post #15

Combat Simian

So much troubles so glad its not me. tongue.gif

Anyway have misplaced my 4' by 4' table somewhere so here is what I have so far on the floor!

IPB Image

Also .. flyscreen meets vehicle!

IPB Image

Then I totally over weather it with the airbrush and the stencil disappears sighhhhh.

IPB Image

Going to finish the details on it and airbrush the screens then call it done. The rest of the day is Dice Tower building and maybe painting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 7 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #16

Combat Simian

HaHa more ######ty OSL effects.

IPB Image

Another ######ty view.

IPB Image

Learners on the things that are not important.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 13 2015, 10:23 PM
Post #17

Combat Simian

Ohhh noe's I'll fall of the modeling diaries main page if I don't post something. unsure.gif

Quickly build, airbrush prime, pre shade, base coat and weather something.

IPB Image

Ha Ha eat a bag of dicks terrain backlog I've got your number.

Airbrushes make painting things like this up soooo much easier.

IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 15 2015, 08:57 PM
Post #18

Combat Simian

Well lucky for my the terrain pick up got delayed a little so I was able to knock out another 3 shipping containers.

IPB Image

Much happier with the colour on these ones the darker green looks fine on the site office shipping container because the OSL breaks it all up but its just too dark to contrase well on the others.

Here is how the table stands as of today and what is going to the Anzac Cup for use Saturday and Sunday in the Infinity tournament.
IPB Image

Foot in frame is how you know its real. tongue.gif

IPB Image

Its a little light on coverage for one of my tables thats for sure.

IPB Image

More of a Euro table than a Australia table density wise.

IPB Image

However when your down at table level its not as terrible as it first seems.

IPB Image

The dice tower does a good job of blocking a good chuck of LoS/LoF through the centre of the table.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sheep
post Apr 15 2015, 10:23 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 153

Grim dark infinity, now I've seen everything, looks solid mate, like you've said, a bit more work to get it to amzing, but I really like the colour combinations, it feels very bladerunner to me.

--------------------
"Oh! My wee-wee seems to have been stricken with rigor mortis"
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Apr 18 2015, 08:42 AM
Post #20

Combat Simian

IPB Image

Well my table has being setup for use at the Anzac Cup today and tomorrow. Unfortunately without the Ice/Snow/Rock components I've yet to build its looking very very light on terrain especially when its all being combined in the centre like it has by the TO on this occasion.

Still nice to see it getting used!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2017 - 07:52 AM