Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Infinity] [Terrain] Vissy - Table in a Weekend, Haydens Folly - Yes YOU Hayden Folly'ish Bastard
VisOne
post Feb 15 2016, 10:42 PM
Post #1

Combat Simian

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,758

I'm running at least 3 tournaments this year and already have 4 tables but 5 and 6 would be good to have ready before March so I set myself a challenge. Get my Frostgrave/Ariadna (Dawn) table up and running in a weekend one catch I'm babysitting my 4 year old and 2 year old as per usual and so the #‎tableinaweekend was born. I also have noticed were getting short of time here in the Battle of Boards so thought why not get this done now as well.

The table is done .... I did what I set out to do I destroyed the one ring .... wait what? I mean I finished the hard parts of the table all the big LoS/LoF blocking pieces are done. I've got some pre-painted resin pieces from Pegasus Hobbies to go onto this table but its currently at a friends house and a couple of scale models to 'ruin' and 'rust' to help fill the void in the centre of the table.

That aside here is back story to it all.

"Hayden's Folly"

If my triangulating is correct, this is, or more precisely was, the home of 'new religious body' read that as cult compound of the fiery ex-servicemen from 5th Armoured Rangers Regiment turned evangelical preacher, Hayden James. Due to some shady and questionable dealings involving off world teseum smuggling, James amassed a small fortune. This was more than enough to outfit himself and his followers with provisions, vehicles and even prefabricated structures. This was all they needed to leave the sinners that make up the majority of the USAriadna culture behind and strike out on their own.

Moving down route 1 and finally bypassing Mount Zion and The Wall itself, they made for unexplored regions of the Ariadna Exclusion Zone. All who knew of the group's intent warned him and any of his disciples who would listen that only misery, bandits, mercenaries and Antipodes awaited them. But they all claimed Hayden's visions were true and a heaven on Dawn awaited them. With logic lost on these people no one would ever set out after them.

A world like Dawn breeds hearty people with little time for fools. When the first reports from long range Maverick patrols reported a deserted settlement lay many miles East of the wall, it wasn't long until the ruins got their nickname "Hayden's Folly." A warning of what happens to fools who discount the dangers of a world like Dawn and put all their faith in a false idol. Now it's more a story told around camp fires to scare poorly behaving children into listening. That doesn't mean it wasn't a foolish mistake. The ruins are real enough.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'll take the table to Ace Comics on Wednesday and see how it goes.

Will get the rest of my tables back from QNK this weekend so I can fix all the broken things and generally spruce them up. Plus get that pre-painted resin back off the other table to use here instead. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by VisOne: Mar 12 2016, 07:32 AM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
w00f135
post Feb 16 2016, 12:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,474

Very nicely done. Are you going to add more snow / ice terrain or happy with the wintery / rainy look?

What kit were those mdf buildings from? The steps and raised levels would be great for treasure hunting. Are the rocky outcroppings blue foam? Good job!

--------------------
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Feb 16 2016, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Combat Simian

Will answer your questions later mate. wink.gif

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Feb 16 2016, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Combat Simian

QUOTE(w00f135 @ Feb 16 2016, 12:48 PM) *

Very nicely done. Are you going to add more snow / ice terrain or happy with the wintery / rainy look?

I'm happy it's not snow it's not too tropical just a good kind of temperate feel. I think adding Snow effects would limit where I could use it. Without another mat or white table to complete the look.

What kit were those mdf buildings from? The steps and raised levels would be great for treasure hunting

These are the old CNC Workshop Pantheon set's. Infuriating things not laser cut but routed with CNC router's lots of cutting and sanding involved. But they were a great price.

Are the rocky outcroppings blue foam? Good job!

Year that are made from extruded foam that is then hit with Spackle and some fine sand on the raised area's.

Foam safe spray used after that then black for shadows, brown for earth areas and grey for rocks. All rattle cans. Finally a cheap artists acrylic highlight/dry brush for everything with grey and finally white.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Feb 16 2016, 05:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Feb 18 2016, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Combat Simian

Right so many thanks to Micky for dropping one of my terrain sets over to Ace Comics on Wednesday afternoon that allowed me to get the Pegasus Hobbies: Sandbags and Barrels out of that tub and allocate them to this table instead. Gave the table a quick spin against Alistair and put these photos up on the various facebook groups I'm a part of and got some good feedback.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Its playable but a touch light. One of the comments that came through was the lack of rocks without trees on them which is easily fixed I will make some more smaller scatter pieces. I also have allot of sprues to run through the bandsaw to make more scatter with if I want. Might just go down that route and create some things similar to the CNC Workshop display pieces. Finally one of my mate Rory/John had the recent Avengers: Quinjet toy there and I sat that mid table to have a gander at whether that would help the table it really wasn't a bad piece being quite large and another local QLD player has done a great job of altering one to look spectacular.

OR

I might just got more of the CNC Pantheon series there is some sitting on the shelf at Ace Comics already ..... hmmmmm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
waargh
post Feb 19 2016, 08:10 AM
Post #6

Ruining the hobby

Member No.: 633

Lookin tops vissy, its good to see the old pantheon series being put to use.

It could be fun making some blown up sections, have a play around with different effects you can get by maiming the mdf in various ways. You can get a pretty good rough texture by cutting a slice into the end of the piece and then peeling back a layer to wherever it breaks off. Also, ive tried leaving assembled pieces in a bucket of water overnight so they expand in size and warp before tearing into them with a saw. Food 4 thought anyway.

Also you probably have texture spray already but thought id mention the darker granite effect paint from bunnings is pretty good in that you can use it as textured dust and grime over your paintjob
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Feb 21 2016, 11:38 PM
Post #7

Combat Simian

QUOTE(waargh @ Feb 19 2016, 08:10 AM) *
Also you probably have texture spray already but thought id mention the darker granite effect paint from bunnings is pretty good in that you can use it as textured dust and grime over your paint job.

This is a off statement for me to make as I'm kind of know for telling people to buy good tools and be prepared to spend as much on tools/paint etc as on models but I look at those textured sprays when picking up my original paints for this job and scuffed. They are asking too much for a one use product. Can't use it as a primer or something later so I choose not to pick it up even though I like the effect.

That aside thanks for the kind words and look forward to putting more of this table up over the coming weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 12 2016, 07:32 AM
Post #8

Combat Simian

Fixed the OP cheers for that.†

So had some more games on it at Ace Comics here's how it look on Wednesday.†

IPB Image

IPB Image

I've figured out I might be able to change the way it plays and today I'm running my Infinity Battle Commission - Teamfinity tournament and this is one of the tables in use so the walls are going to the centre of the table and the other scatter around the table.

IPB Image

Still for the life of me CAN'T find a Quinjet anywhere though. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maerlyn the Solitaire
post Mar 12 2016, 08:21 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran IV
Member No.: 93

QUOTE(VisOne @ Mar 12 2016, 07:32 AM) *

Still for the life of me CAN'T find a Quinjet anywhere though. sad.gif
This one? Target
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Mar 12 2016, 08:39 PM
Post #10

Combat Simian

QUOTE(Maerlyn the Solitaire @ Mar 12 2016, 08:21 AM) *

This one? Target

"In Stock Online"

Is not instock at any of my local Targets but hey if all 3 forums I posted this on tell me the same thing. Buy it online not in person than clearly I'm doing it wrong. dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post May 23 2016, 11:02 PM
Post #11

Combat Simian

So this table got some more added to it and a good outing at Briscon!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Apparently its pretty interesting to those filthy nomads.

Can't imagine why .... maybe its got to do with the good olde AI from Aperture Labs?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 02:45 PM