Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [30k/40k] Alpha Legion, 18/4: Outrider Attack Bikes finished
morsla
post Apr 4 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I'm a fair way off starting to paint these, but I wanted to start a modelling diary to keep track of the conversions and other preparation work for my Arc2017 army. After years of hoarding bits and pieces, I'm finally getting stuck into a Heresy-style Alpha Legion army - planning to use it with the Codex: Space Marines rules for Arcanacon, and then add some more 30k-specific units later on.

IPB Image

Here's the full list of what I'm assembling and converting over the next few months, from the Army List thread here:

Chapter Tactics: Ultramarines
Detachment: CAD

HQ

Space Marine Command Tanks [410 points]
- Land Raider Excelsior (2 x TL-Lascannon, Grav Cannon and Grav-amp, Rod of Command) WARLORD
- Rhino Primaris (TL-Plasma gun, Servo-skull hub, Orbital Array)

Elites

5 x Legion of the Damned. Multimelta, Meltagun. Sergeant w/Combi-Melta. [155 points]

Troops

10 Tactical marines, Plasma gun. Veteran Sergeant w/Combi-Plasma and Melta Bombs. Rhino. [215 points]

10 Tactical marines. Veteran Sergeant, Plasma gun, Missile Launcher [180 points]

Fast Attack

3 Attack Bikes with Multimeltas [150 points]

Heavy Support

3 Centurion Devastators with Grav-Cannon & Grav-Amp [240 points]

Total: 1350 points

Comp credits: 6
Space Marine HQ command tanks = 3 credits
22 Armoured Vehicle Points: Land Raider (14) + two Rhinos (8) = 1 credit
32 Relentless Grav "shots" (3 Dev Cents + Excelsior) = 2 credits

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 4 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

The current project on my desk is creating some Legion Attack Bikes. Problem is, those models don't exist yet. So, I've taken an Outrider squad and started hacking it up...

Initial cuts on the Scout Bike chassis:
IPB Image

Test model is a bit wonky, but I think the width is about right for the rear section. The gunner will be trusting to his mag-locked boots and standing up on the back of the bike, holding one of the new underslung multi-meltas smile.gif

IPB Image

Repeating the process on two more bikes. The 1mm plasticard will get trimmed down to match the angle of the bike components.

IPB Image

Next trick is to preserve some of the nice details on the Outrider engine. I need a flat surface for the gunner to stand on, so I've cut this part off in order to glue it to the back of the bikes (which have been filled in with some more plasticard). The gap between the wheels will also get filled in later - I'm using some spare Assault Cannon magazines for this, as they have the right kind of width and texture on them.

IPB Image

Testing my patience is the putty stage: filling in the gaps, waiting for the putty to cure, and then eventually trimming and filing the surfaces flat.

IPB Image

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 4 2016, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

Still pretty rough at this stage - I've trimmed down the excess putty, and given them a quick coat of undercoat spray so I can see the surfaces more clearly:

IPB Image

The grey paint is actually pretty helpful - here I've filed the edges a bit more, and you can easily see which parts aren't sitting flush with the original grey plastic.

IPB Image

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Captain_Antoninus
post Apr 5 2016, 12:16 AM
Post #4

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 543

"trust gravlock boots" smile.gif, great idea and execution of said idea
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 5 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

biggrin.gif Balance shouldn't really be a problem when you can lock your boots onto something and then fix all the armour joints in place.

While I wait for the Multimeltas to arrive, I've dug up some extra stowage and blu-tacked a test model together.

IPB Image

I think the gun is likely to take up a lot of space, so the torso will need to be twisted right around in order to leave room for the driver. Hopefully it won't need too much modification to get it to fit in place...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
ColonialRaptor
post Apr 5 2016, 02:59 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,941

Dude... this is an AWESOME project. I can't wait to see more of this, truly inspiring!

Can I ask where you got the shotgun in the sheath and the bag that you've attached to the side of the rear of the bike from?
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 5 2016, 03:20 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

Thanks! The shotgun is from the Scout Biker sprue. Saddlebags are from a couple of places - I think there was one one the Attack Bike sprue, and there are three (with various bits of grimdark iconography) on the Ravenwing upgrade sprue.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Emperor Fooble
post Apr 5 2016, 10:54 PM
Post #8

Don't throw off my groove
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 9,113

These bikes are awesome!

--------------------
C'mon you apes, do you wanna live forever?
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 6 2016, 10:33 AM
Post #9

Group Icon

They're a lot of fun to build smile.gif

After finally getting the armour panels smoothed out, I realised that very little of that surface will be visible at the end... I decided to glue the panniers and other gear in place, as it could be a bit messy trying to attach them on top of multiple layers of paint and varnish.

Here's what they look like now:

IPB Image

Panniers from the Ravenwing sprue, bolters possibly from Attack Bikes? Extra gear from the Scout Bike sprues. All my marines are loaded up with gear, so the vehicles shouldn't be any different...

I just got an email from Forgeworld saying that the heavy weapons have shipped, so hopefully I won't have to wait too long to finish building these. In the meantime, I might start detailing the bases.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 12 2016, 04:18 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

Multimeltas have arrived! Time for an update then: this is the first test model. The rider isn't glued down, and the gunner is held in place with a magnet - that way I can remove both of them to paint it a bit more easily with an airbrush.

The power cable was just as tricky to bend into place as I thought, and has ended up getting pinned at both ends. Next time I might just use the Greenstuff 'tentacle maker' tool to make some new cabling...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Apr 12 2016, 04:34 PM
Post #11

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Concept worked really well. I wonder if the dude standing on the back will look incongruent once it's painted though. I'm not sure how you could improve it though.

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
WitchFinderGeneral
post Apr 12 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 182

Could add some basic cage railings like on the Eldar Vyper conversions with fighting platforms on the back instead of turrets.

--------------------
Knights of Purity and Valour - Kill 'em all, let the Emperor sort it out!
Yes, I reply to a lot of threads with images. That's because your posts are crap, and don't deserve anything more than a cursory Google image search.
QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Apr 28 2009, 03:49 PM) *
Your e-peen just made me lolgasm.
QUOTE('Tilaurin on the subject of my brain')
Tilaurin--"And with any luck a pair of braincells"
Me--"Nah, just the one, but he's a mad hardcore survivor type, you know?"
Tilaurin--"A teeny tiny John McClane, crawling through the broken shards of glass that is your mind?"

QUOTE(Demon @ Dec 22 2014, 02:26 PM) *
in reality I'm a fair ######
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Apr 12 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #13

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

There's absolutely no room for that WFG

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Plaguelord Baldric
post Apr 12 2016, 05:59 PM
Post #14

Junkyard Juggernaut

Member No.: 3,252

These look great, Morsla. Feel like returning to my own chaos biker army I started years ago. Back when chaos lords could take the ole Ether Lance.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies: Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs. :D
My photobucket gallery My WIP Scrap/Scratch Built Khorne Dreadnought
+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 13 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #15

Group Icon

The Vyper-style gunner platform is what I originally wanted to do, but even with the extra bulk on the bike there isn't enough room to work with. I've seen one very cool gunner conversion that managed it, but he used the tiny Rogue Trader marines (probably Landspeeder crew) for gunners.

I thought I could at least add a grab rail, but then tried fitting it on the model and realised I didn't have any room left wink.gif Still, I like the way these fit onto the larger oval bases. Between the attack bikes, castellax-centurions and 32mm-base marines, there will be plenty of surface area to build things on those bases.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Apr 13 2016, 11:50 AM
Post #16

Group Icon

Effrit Stealth Squad (Legion of the Damned) - now with a whole lot more Melta weaponry. I can see these guys appearing from reserves, shooting something, and then getting hit by a scattering Orbital Strike from the Primaris Rhino...

IPB Image

I liked the kneeling Missile Launcher guy (from my original Recon squad conversions) too much to rip it apart for a Multimelta conversion, so I've put it aside for now - eventually I might use it in a MkVI squad, using the lighter armour for 'scouts.'

For now, dropping the extra guy from the Effrit unit gives me a spare 25 points. I think I'll use it to add a few more toys to the two Tactical squads - making both sergeants Veterans, and giving the Rhino/combi-plasma guy some Meltabombs.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Dono1979
post Apr 13 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #17

Resin Whisperer

Member No.: 5,612

QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Apr 12 2016, 04:34 PM) *

Concept worked really well. I wonder if the dude standing on the back will look incongruent once it's painted though. I'm not sure how you could improve it though.

What about a couple of cables? Attached at the marines belt and connected to the bike as a sort of anchor point and/or a single upright directly behind the marine which he is leaning on or belted to. The latter would need to be done carefully though

--------------------
+Quote Post
Stumphy
post Apr 13 2016, 07:35 PM
Post #18

Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 5,835

It really needs something, right now he would just fall straight off the back and that issue kind of spoils the effect which is otherwise kind of cool

I agree with Dono

a chain or chains attached to his belt that are taught and run forward to near the handlebars or similar
Kind of like water skiing line. That adds believability to the concept of a guy standing up at the back of a bike.
A post behind him wouldn't work much either, the chains also kind of work from the point of view of chaining up the serpent to reign it in.

I love your work Ben, but this one currently just looks a bit awkward.

Another alternative would be to make it a servetor, then you still get the big gun, the human element, but you could mount it more securely and eve if you did want a full human with legs a servetor with chains holding down would look more appropriate than a marine.

just some thoughts

--------------------
Armies
WM/H Circle Orboros
WM/H Skorne
40K IG Multinational Infantry army
40K Mono Nurgle Chaos Daemons
WFB Skaven
BFG Imperial
Necromunda Escher

My Painting Gallery
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Apr 14 2016, 07:30 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 2,591

Hope the bike doesn't have to MOVE! Bikes are cool but unless the gunner is fixed it looks silly....maybe a ring around him?
+Quote Post
Starfire
post Apr 14 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,286

I think it looks great. Mag lock boots for the win.

--------------------
QUOTE(Prince Raven @ May 11 2014, 07:43 PM) *

You know what? I give up, this is like playing chess with pidgeon. I'm going to leave while I still have enough brain cells to make the decision.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 04:45 PM