Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Alkemy] Walosi Clan, 6/1 - New models assembled
morsla
post Jan 4 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

It's been a very long time since I played this game, but some friends are planning an Alkemy games day next month.

We're looking at the original (300 point) format, rather than the newer 180 point Blitz games. That's mostly because we all bought some shiny new models during the Black Friday sale, and we want to try them out... I'll be taking some Aurloks from the Toad-clan of Walosi.

Here's what I'll be painting over the next month. I suspect this list is a bit terrible, but I've chosen it for a few reasons:

- They're all toads. In-game, my crow warriors always tended to perform better, but I like the amphibians wink.gif
- Hive throwers! Last time I played, the models for these hadn't been released.
- Alchemists. I got my first Medicine Shaman figure from Jeremie at a painting workshop, and have loved the model ever since.

Characters

Pitekica, Spirit-Shaman of Ostiliha (45 points)
An inner-circle Alchemist, with a few neat tricks. "Walosi's Guile" helps models disengage from combat, without even spending action points if they have the Leap skill - letting you play a more mobile evasion game than you'd normally expect from the toads. "Walosi's Explosion" allows models with the Haemotoxic skill to inflict automatic damage to nearby figures. He also allows you to field a second Medicine Shaman, and nearby allies that lose their final damage point will remain in play until the end of the round, letting you heal them back up again.

Tha'pioca the Pot-Bellied (40 points)
Fairly simple and straightforward: 4 AP to contest scenario objectives; high Combat value and damage to kill things, and no red injury level. Not as big a wrecking ball as some opponents (Garlan de Brall or the Avalonian Colossus), but he's as tough as they come in this faction.

Alchemists

Toad Medicine Shaman (37 points)
An Outer-circle Alchemist who can take damage on behalf of nearby warriors, and heal allies. Gains the Haemotoxic skill from Pitekica, and combines nicely with his Mutagenic ability.

Troops

Toad Hive-thrower (24 points)
Some ranged control, to compensate for the slow movement rate of my figures. Plus, he throws beehives at things. These guys gain the Leap skill from Pitekica's Mutagenic Metabolism rule.

Toad Hive-thrower (24 points)
Did I mention bees? Attack bees?

Horned Sentinel (33 points)
The other heavy hitter for this list. 3 AP, a Combat value of 5 and a special attack that can do huge damage if he's been wounded. He also doesn't have a critical (red) health level at all: he keeps swinging yellow dice until he dies. Plus, with both the Leap and Haemotoxic skills, he can take advantage of all of Pitekica's tricks.

Toad Thunder-Warrior (18 points)
Slow, hard to kill, and Haemotoxic.

Toad Thunder-Warrior (18 points)
As above. Expensive but durable line infantry.

Toad Wind-Warrior (16 points)
Losing Haemotoxic and two health points compared to the Thunder-Warrior, but gaining a faster movement rate and the Leap skill. The closest thing the Walosi have to an objective grabber.

Toad Wind-Warrior (16 points)
As above. I have points spare to upgrade this one to a Thunder-Warrior, but speed will help... particularly as one opponent will be playing the Khaliman Republic.

Total: 292 points, 10 models.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 4 2017, 02:28 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

These are the new resin models:

IPB Image

Beautiful casts - much finer detail than the old plastics, and virtually no mould lines at all.

My only issue with this batch is Pitekica - the shaman has a sculpted base (covered in smaller toads), which sits on top of a larger round resin plug, and then has even more spare resin underneath it. Cutting and grinding off all the excess resin will be tricky.

There are a couple of older resin models, too (my original medicine shaman, and a Tha'pioca that Lon picked up for me at Salute). Those have plastic bases - the new ones all have sculpted resin bases, which was a nice surprise.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the quality of these - though I'm a bit confused about all the excess resin on Pitekica's base.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 4 2017, 02:40 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

These are some of the figures from last time I played. 2009 was a while ago... I'll update these at some stage (I've had more practice at painting over that resin-plastic now), but at this stage they're ready for next month's games.

IPB Image

Also, being a compulsive hoarder of miniatures stuff, I found these:

IPB Image

There are some tokens for models I don't have (Ca'apiti Red Eyes' poison frogs), but it has tokens for bees! They might not help much against all the Tough models that the Avalonian player will field, but swarms of stinging things might help when massively outmanoeuvred by the Khaliman.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 4 2017, 02:49 PM
Post #4

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

This is awesome. I remember back when Alkemy was the latest thing, pretty sure you had a diary at the time? I remember being impressed.

I have a bunch of Alkemy stuff languishing in a closet waiting to be finished...

--------------------
WAU's opinionated idiot.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but they could at least acknowledge that I'm right.
QUOTE(Shotgun @ Mar 27 2014, 05:40 PM) *
Attention seeking statement seeks attention.

QUOTE(handmadebuffalo @ Jan 2 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Hats off to JJJJ for applying logic

Painted last year: 239!
Painted this year: 164/365
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 4 2017, 02:58 PM
Post #5

Group Icon

I did - I just removed the 2009 diary link from my sig, as I discovered that all the old image links had broken smile.gif

You should paint up a Blitz list, if you still have some models - they're usually about 6-7 models, at 180 points. The Army list generator and Rulebook are both free and online...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 6 2017, 10:06 AM
Post #6

Group Icon

New models are all assembled smile.gif From left to right: two Wind-Warrior scouts, a Horned Sentinel, Tha'pioca the Pot-Bellied, Pitekica the Shaman, and two Hive Throwers.

IPB Image

There seems to be a big difference between Alan Carrasco's original sculpts (particularly Tha'pioca and the Hive Throwers), and the newer ones like the Horned Sentinel (O. Bredy) and the Wind-Warriors (Didier Fancagne). The proportions of the new figures are a bit off, the faces are very different, and the models are a bit harder to assemble as the joints don't match up as well.

I replaced the Horned Sentinel's weapon haft with some brass rod. The original was strong enough, but looked far too flimsy to support such a big lump of rock.

Pitekica was the trickiest to assemble: lots of sanding needed to level out the base, and then the hands, tusks and feathered headdress were all separate parts. Worth it though - I really like the model.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
marius
post Jan 9 2017, 10:52 AM
Post #7

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 169

What is not to love about frogs wielding bees?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 04:45 PM