Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k][Arc40k] Burn the Witch!, 16/1: Veteran squad
morsla
post Jan 7 2017, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

I've been on the fence about which army to take to this year's Arc40k for months:

On one hand, there's (finally!) a shiny new Chaos codex that makes an Alpha Legion army more interesting to play, and it fits in perfectly to all the bonus points on offer for things like only running a single (combined arms) detachment.

On the other hand, there's also a new Imperial Agents book that lets me field my Inquisition army in a way I haven't been able to do since roughly 5th edition. It finally gives me an excuse to repaint or finish off the metal House Cawdor army I took to Liber Animus ten years ago, but it's a mess of different allied detachments and fails dismally at picking up most of the composition-related points on offer.

After much indecision, I decided to overhaul the witch-hunting Inquisitor's warband. This is a diary that's mostly about updating models I painted a decade ago, with a handful of newer figures thrown in...

Army structure

• Inquisition detachment (Inquisitor, Henchmen, Rhino)
• Astra Militarum detachment (Command, Platoon, Veterans, Hellhound, Leman Russ)
• Null Maiden Task Force (3 Sisters of Silence squads)

I started by ripping apart one of my old LR Demolishers, in order to add some slightly more long-ranged weaponry to the army. To replace the old Demolisher cannon, I bought a few of the Blood and Skulls weapons - picking up some Light Machine Cannons for an Exterminator turret, and the Medium Machine Cannon for a regular Leman Russ battlecannon. Here's some early progress on this, to show what the new (magnetised) weapons look like:

IPB Image

IPB Image

In its previous incarnation, my Guard army was stuffed full of Heavy Bolters - relying on sheer number of dice to make up for my (generally) terrible rolling. The new version will be a bit different: I can't field a handy HB-servitor retinue for the Inquisitor any more, and I badly need some better anti-armour weaponry at 1,350 points. So, I cracked open the sponsons using a screwdriver as a prybar, removed the old Heavy Bolters, and found some metal Multimeltas to replace them with. After taking this photo I also cut off the hull HB, and found a Lascannon to replace it with - following BHR's advice in the army list forum...

Next up was some more detailed painting, as the original vehicles were a bit rushed to finish them off for a tournament. I added lots more black trim to break up all the crimson armour, and picked out all of the many, many rivets. Then I painted on some scratches and paint chips to further break up all that flat colour.

Once that stage was complete, it was time for some new transfers (applied over gloss varnish, top-coated with more gloss, then given a matte layer to kill the shine), and I got to work with a mix of weathering powders, glaze medium and water.

IPB Image

That's left me with something like this - though the photo is horribly over-exposed. Hopefully you get the idea, though smile.gif

IPB Image

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 7 2017, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Looks great, nice weathering!

--------------------
WAU's opinionated idiot.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but they could at least acknowledge that I'm right.
QUOTE(Shotgun @ Mar 27 2014, 05:40 PM) *
Attention seeking statement seeks attention.

QUOTE(handmadebuffalo @ Jan 2 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Hats off to JJJJ for applying logic

Painted last year: 239!
Painted this year: 164/365
+Quote Post
dedhed
post Jan 8 2017, 07:01 AM
Post #3

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,591

Needs a different guy on the turret though.....other than that, looking good.
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 9 2017, 11:40 AM
Post #4

Group Icon

I like the oversized shotgun on the turret gunner - it's another take on the "Drive me closer!" memes smile.gif

The platoon infantry are all Cawdor gangers with lasguns or autoguns, which left me with a couple of spare shotguns - I've used them as vehicle crew.

This is the Inquisitor, still in his 2008 colour scheme. I'll probably leave this on the same 40mm base, but will update the painting a bit - I've learned a lot more over the last decade or so...

IPB Image

And of course, he needs a ride for his retinue smile.gif

IPB Image

Lots of new additions to this one. Still need to see the codex to decide whether I keep the old twin-stormbolter loadout, or if I just keep it as cheap as possible. I don't think I can take psybolt ammunition any more.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Jan 12 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #5

On Parole

Member No.: 5,217

this is really top notch work. Great stuff!

--------------------
Current Record:

The Vermin Swarm - 15 games played, 7 wins, 1 draw, 7 losses
Sylvan Elves - 4 games played, 4 wins
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jan 12 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #6

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

Awesome.

Also a fan of the 'clear the deck'/'I keep this handy for close encounters' type tank crew.

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it - T Pratchett
+Quote Post
Demon
post Jan 12 2017, 10:54 AM
Post #7

Lord of The Crossroads
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 218

There's a short story about a Savlar chem dog tank crew who fight even as the tank is overwhelmed, he puts me in mind of that

--------------------
MAY YOUR FOREHEAD GROW LIKE THE MIGHTY OAK

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it - T Pratchett
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 12 2017, 12:11 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Thanks guys smile.gif I watched Fury a few weeks ago, and decided that having sidearms available seemed like a good idea for any vehicle crew...

Here's another addition to the motor pool: one of the Guard platoon's Chimeras.

IPB Image

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Jan 12 2017, 06:26 PM
Post #9

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

Got any pics of the old army? Or current "before" infantry?

--------------------
Want to pet my snake?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Jan 12 2017, 06:44 PM
Post #10

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Gorgeous work mate!

--------------------
WAU's opinionated idiot.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but they could at least acknowledge that I'm right.
QUOTE(Shotgun @ Mar 27 2014, 05:40 PM) *
Attention seeking statement seeks attention.

QUOTE(handmadebuffalo @ Jan 2 2015, 10:14 PM) *
Hats off to JJJJ for applying logic

Painted last year: 239!
Painted this year: 164/365
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Jan 15 2017, 03:17 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15,763

Great stuff armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
morsla
post Jan 16 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #12

Group Icon

I'll get the old infantry squads out of their case and grab a few photos - so far I've been trying (without much success...) to limit the number of things on the desk, so I can focus on getting a few things finished.

This is what the Veteran squad is looking like at the moment - 10 vets with a Heavy Flamer and two Meltaguns. Still lots more to do on this unit, as I gradually remember how to paint again. I've just ripped off the old heads, and replaced them with some AdMech ones that fit the look a bit better.

IPB Image

Most of the models were Redemptionists originally, though there are a few Mordheim cultists in there, and a couple of Inquisitorial henchmen as well. It's reaching the point where I'm losing track of what everything has been built out of, and forgetting what a "normal" model looks like wink.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Warburton
post Today, 02:36 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 15,763

They look awesome armata_PDT_34.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: Benjaymun

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 04:45 PM