Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mass Effect characters in 40K, Who would they be?
Zenithfleet
post Feb 16 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,488

G'day all,

Not quite sure this is the right subforum, but oh well...

Recently played Mass Effect 1 and 2 for the first time (about ten years late to the party, I know). There were plenty of memorable characters that I've been wondering how to 'import' into 40K. I have a few rough thoughts but I'd love to hear your ideas.

To be clear, I'm not asking 'what if the Mass Effect races existed in the 40K galaxy?' or anything like that. Instead, if there were 40K parody versions of Mass Effect characters, who would they be? Similar to stuff like Rambo = Sly Marbo, or the Dirty Dozen = Last Chancers. Who would Wrex, Tali, Garrus and the rest be in the 40K galaxy?

(Assume 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th edition era fluff.)

Ideas so far:

Shepard = Inquisitor (equivalent of Spectre). Investigating Necron (i.e. Oldcron) harvester threat. Assembles unorthodox multi-species team because Oldcrons threaten everyone. As a bonus this would make the final boss of Mass Effect 2 slightly less stupid...

Mordin = Tau biologist (alien face, white hi-tech armour, scientific knowledge)

Wrex / Grunt = For the moment I'm thinking these fellas could be from a saurian-like race in Tau space. Can use Lizardman Saurus models or similar. Backstory similar to Krogan: uplifted into Tau Empire to fight Tyranids, but reproduced wildly so had to be hit by 'genophage' equivalent. Early Tau attempt to induct a melee-happy race into the empire? Botched it, so they stuck to ranged-combat types like themselves after that.
(I did consider an Ork for this, but I doubt anyone would want to work with one... *Maybe* a Blood Axe or a Freebooter.)

Tali = Tricky one. Eldar Scout/Ranger? (live on exiled space fleets; sent out into wider universe; mask; technical skills)
On the other hand, the hands and feet resemble a Tau more than an Eldar. Maybe an Air Caste member?

Garrus = Kroot (turned mercenary) - mainly due to the shape of the head/crest and the fondness for rifles

Kaidan, Miranda, Jacob = human psykers - easy enough to represent

Jack = human psyker - alpha level? Blew up a Black Ship?
(Incidentally, anyone know of a decent female mini in just trousers, with a shaved/bald head? I pretty much assume the silly belt-bra in the game is just there to keep the censors happy. Jack wouldn't give a **** about covering up. The thought of painting the tattoos hurts my brain already, though...)

Ashley = human soldier - veteran Guardswoman? (I've got a spare Necromunda Escher who might suit her.)

Thane = Vindicare assassin - renegade/retired? (Does that even happen?)

Liara, Samara, Morinth = ??? - The Asari have me stumped. Not really any space-babe stereotypes in 40K that I can think of. The other ingredient in the Asari is 'space elves', so they could be Eldar, but that won't work if Tali already qualifies. Somehow I don't think Tau would fit, despite being blue... armata_PDT_11.gif

Legion = ??? - First thought is an Oldcron but that seems unlikely to say the least.

Collectors from ME2 = Vespids (or at least I'd use the models for them)

Have I forgotten anyone?

They'd need some kind of Inquisitorial stealth ship (fortunately I have a small one painted for BFG) and a six-wheeled vehicle with a turret to represent the Mako. The latter would come in handy in any game against people who played the first Mass Effect because they'd probably waste time shooting at it out of residual loathing. (For the record, I liked that goofy moon buggy.)

Hmm... there seem to be a few Tau Empire species in the above, but that makes sense because the Tau in their original codex were quite Star Trekky and so is Mass Effect. TBH, that was one of the things that initially put me off about the games, but that's another story.

Anyway, let me know what you reckon.

--------------------
Modelling diary: Zenith's Occasionally Hyperbolous Blog
Current projects: Epic 40,000, BFG and LotR SBG
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rod.H
post Feb 16 2017, 11:23 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,781

A Rubicon Models 1/56 M8 / M20 Armoured Car built as the M8 is one option for your Mako stand in. Another is modify the Taurox but the only wheel set I know of to do that, is for 4 wheels.

Hmm for Jack, try Hasslefree Miniatures they have a Female Armature (amongst others) which just needs greenstuff pants. Or Brother Vinni should have something.
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Feb 17 2017, 12:00 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Rod.H @ Feb 16 2017, 11:23 PM) *

A Rubicon Models 1/56 M8 / M20 Armoured Car built as the M8 is one option for your Mako stand in. Another is modify the Taurox but the only wheel set I know of to do that, is for 4 wheels.

Thanks armata_PDT_01.gif The M8 does look pretty good. Probably just need to alter the turret loadout.

I do have a half-built Taurox kicking around, but it doesn't quite have the right look.

QUOTE(Rod.H @ Feb 16 2017, 11:23 PM) *

Hmm for Jack, try Hasslefree Miniatures they have a Female Armature (amongst others) which just needs greenstuff pants. Or Brother Vinni should have something.

Hasslefree I've checked, although I didn't think to investigate their dollies. Unfortunately the Female Armature is wearing heels and all the others seem to be resin (I'm a metal freak).

I've never looked at Brother Vinni's stuff before and now I kind of wish I hadn't... armata_PDT_05.gif Amused to see a totally-not-maleShep mini in there, though!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rod.H
post Feb 17 2017, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Yeah, Brother Vinni's not for everyone. Most of what your wanting is producible via kitbashing or custom sculpting. Raging Heroes might have something for Tali.

Give it time and someone will do 28mm not-Mass Effect figures.
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Feb 17 2017, 11:15 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Rod.H @ Feb 17 2017, 10:40 PM) *

Yeah, Brother Vinni's not for everyone. Most of what your wanting is producible via kitbashing or custom sculpting. Raging Heroes might have something for Tali.

Give it time and someone will do 28mm not-Mass Effect figures.

True, but I reckon they'll probably be Infinity-style hi-tech models. (There's already a few cool conversions out there.) I'm more after 40K-universe equivalents. Ideally I won't need any converting at all. Fr'instance, Mordin can just be a regular Tau bloke.

Still can't figure out whether the Asari characters should be Eldar or not...

--------------------
+Quote Post
Rod.H
post Feb 18 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #6

Daemonette heads on eldar/dark eldar bodies?
+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Feb 18 2017, 10:15 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Rod.H @ Feb 18 2017, 01:12 PM) *

Daemonette heads on eldar/dark eldar bodies?

That would work if I were adding the Asari into 40K as a new race or something, but that's not what I'm trying to do. (OK, I'm doing it for the Krogan, but the Asari feel like they're too important in the ME setting to be some minor Tau Empire species in the 40Kverse. And Krogan could just possibly be covered by Ork Freebooterz or Blood Axes anyway.)

As much as possible, I'm after characters who are Eldar, Tau, Inquisition etc. They don't have to look like the Mass Effect races, just be vaguely inspired by them.

For the same reason I wouldn't need a special mini for Tali, just an Eldar Ranger with a helmet.

As mentioned - If Rambo were in the 40Kverse, he'd be a Catachan Guardsman, i.e. Sly Marbo. So who would Liara, Samara and so on be? Still stuck...

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2017 - 02:43 AM