Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] Vissy's: Bad Case of Pins and Magnets!, Aeldari Done Cordonblue & Astra Militarum Glory Boys?
VisOne
post May 13 2017, 01:03 AM
Post #1

Combat Simian

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 12,758

So I finally got round to getting my little force for Shadow Wars: Armageddon and who knows maybe even 8th Edition 40K started.

I've always being an Eldar player so if I am going to start back in its always going to be there so here is what I could be bothered getting an Autarch the new plastic one which is not a bad model I would have loved a option without the swooping hawk wings but what ever its a nice model. A box of Dire Avengers which I quickly remember I hate soo soooo sooooo much got to be one of the worst models to build this is my 4th time making the bastards. A box of guardians which aren't much better than Dire Avengers and the new plastic Wraith Guard so I can have CC plebs and shooty plebs cause why not?

Ohh and a Eldar - Hornet cause I have always loved that model almost as much as I love the Super Heavies but I ain't made of money or insane so yeah a Hornet will do.

I'm a massive Aspect Warrior chump but I have never liked painting white so Biel-Tan as much as I dig them was out. I used to run Ulthwé before I could paint cause black priming is a colour right? So this time I decided no I will do something different push my skills a bit and take on yellow because I'm an idiot and if I have a bunch of Wraith Bone zombie plebs why not just go Iyanden? Plus they are the Craft World that gets #### done!

So I have my Autarch and Dire Avengers assembled after much fluffing about and swearing and they are still covered in mould lines since I got super angry and just went screw it they are table top plastics I can live with it.

IPB Image

My Autarch will get a name at some time using some random name generator crap for Eldars but now he shall be Captain Cockatoo since I'm pretty sure if I don't get some you know not Blue and Yellow on this dude soon he is going to look like a complete idiot.

IPB Image

The Dire Avenges have suffered from the age old yes you have 7 Shades of Blue but none of them work here so lets just use two and hope it works out fine. Ignore the gloss they just got varnished I'm going to panel line all these #### for brains to hopefully make the airbrushing gradients pop who knows?

So yeah there here I am once again painting plastics and just trying to get the foot plebs busted so I have an idea on how to approach the other larger models like the Wraith Guard and Hornet. Feel free to join me on the rage ride that is batch painting!

This post has been edited by VisOne: Oct 14 2017, 09:31 PM

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VisOne
post May 13 2017, 08:49 AM
Post #2

Combat Simian

So just messed around with the Autarch a little this morning before I head to the club.

IPB Image

Standing by the name of Captain Cockatoo for now.

IPB Image

I've quickly realized that the standard clean pop right off the table Eldar look isn't my thing these guys are going to be washed out, gritty and clearly stuck in a long campaign of on going battles but that kind of suits Iyanden I feel as the Craft World that gets things done.

--------------------
What I do: Chef by trade, arsehole by choice; but I play games and build the following when I'm not being either.

Vissy's Threads: Aeldari Done Cordonblue, Tries to Count to Infinity, Bug Hunt Corridors, Takes on Zen Terrain, Haydens Folly Table & Making Terrain on Budget
+Quote Post
flying poo
post May 13 2017, 12:01 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,316

Liking the look so far. Gritty Eldar will be a nice change.
Keen to see this works out.
+Quote Post
VisOne
post May 18 2017, 01:49 PM
Post #4

Combat Simian

So some progress,

IPB Image

IPB Image

I ruined him a whole bunch since I'm not used to working with light plastics any more I dropped him not once, not twice but three times into my paint station.

So I have to redo the wins and other areas with the airbrush but that can wait till after I finish the last of the details. I've given up on the idea of edge highlighting well anything ever since I just am not that patient. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zenithfleet
post Jun 19 2017, 11:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,488

Looking very noice mate.

Captain Kho-Katyu perhaps? (Hyphen represents dignified Eldar pause that connotes a thousand meanings incomprehensible to more primitive species and is generally accompanied by a disdainful raised eyebrow)

This post has been edited by Zenithfleet: Jun 19 2017, 11:08 PM

--------------------
Modelling diary: Zenith's Occasionally Hyperbolous Blog
Current projects: Epic 40,000, BFG and LotR SBG
+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Jun 19 2017, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,327

Very nice brushwork:)

Subscribed!

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Jul 25 2017, 09:34 AM
Post #7

Combat Simian

Right so Shadow Wars isn't really my thing it seems but enough of my mates and old garage gamer buddys are giving 8th a go I'll finish these bad boys off this week in between work. Progress shots up again soon expect speed painting!

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Jul 27 2017, 12:36 AM
Post #8

Combat Simian

IPB Image

Plebs painted up and based.

Waiting on magnets to fix the Exarch up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 1 2017, 08:31 AM
Post #9

Combat Simian

Next batch of things are under way. With the extra boxes and boxes of stuff Joshie gave me I've got like 149 Power worth of Aeldari now mostly Spirit Host things. Which I guess is fortuitous since I've being painting them as Iyanden more or less.

IPB Image

So since I he had stared building some of it and my mate from Paroxysm Games has arranged to throw down with my at 50 power I knocked up the following list.

6 - Autarch w/ Swooping Hawk Wings
3 - Warlock
3 - Dire Avenger Squad w/ Exarch
4 - Guardian Defenders w/ Heavy Weapons Platform
10 - Wraith Guard Squad
10 - Wraith Guard Squad
7 - Wraith Lord
7 - Wraith Lord

50 - TOTAL POWER

Its not really min/maxed or anything its just a what I can get to the table fastest sort of thing and it kind of has the spirit host/Iyanden vibe going. The Autarch can be swapped out for a Farseer (6) or Spiritseer (4) without messing anything around as can the Wraith Guard/Wraith Blades they cost the same regardless in power level. Haven't point costed it yet I'm magnetizing weapons on everything anyway so I don't have to worry about WYSIWYG.

IPB Image

Anyway I'll get the Guardians and the 2 Wraith Guards built, primed and at least the yellow down today hopefully I refuse to play unpainted but I might accept partially painted at least. tongue.gif

P.S. Ignore anything you see that is odd like Wraithlords without hands/blades weapons etc its all going to be there once I do a great big magnetizing session. I seriously think I will play without weapons for a bit while I learn the rules in these fun games. Besides all of my weapons are going to be black with mild grey to white highlights I think easy to do all the vehicle/platform weapons all at once.

This post has been edited by VisOne: Aug 1 2017, 08:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 6 2017, 10:16 PM
Post #10

Combat Simian

Ok so last post was on Monday and I've put about 2 hours into this project each night up until now and this is the results.

IPB Image

A perfectly reasonable but not fully WYSIWYG force but hey beggars can't be choosers and for LoS play purposes its all there. I feel a lot better about the colours and theme at this point too the Autarch and Avengers were really throwing me and made we feel like I missed the mark.

dry.gif

cough cough Alaitoc

So yeah happy enough now.

Plus this?

IPB Image

Thoughts?

I think it will look better on a Falcon Chassis but for now this is what I have and its not terrible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
morsla
post Aug 6 2017, 10:28 PM
Post #11

Paintmaster Mod

Member No.: 3

I think it looks great. Keeps the dominant colour as Iyanden's yellow, but adds enough blue (and a nice pattern) to sit somewhere between the guardian/spirit colours and the aspect warriors.

If you wanted to be really fancy, you could add the same patterning to shoulders of the two Wraithlords wink.gif

--------------------
[www.morsla.net] [WATT] [40k | Burn the Witch! | Alpha Legion | Harlequins | Inaryss Eldar] | Deathwatch]
[Alkemy | Clan Walosi | Jade Triad | Avalon] [WM | Mercenaries | Cryx | River dock] [Hordes | Skorne]
[Infinity | Nomads] [Wrath of Kings | Goritsi] [WHQ | Silver Tower] [Epic | Iyanden]
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 7 2017, 07:24 AM
Post #12

Combat Simian

QUOTE(morsla @ Aug 6 2017, 10:28 PM) *

If you wanted to be really fancy, you could add the same patterning to shoulders of the two Wraithlords wink.gif

Actually I did the inverse colours on there helmets on both the guard and lord's but the hexagon pattern is too large for the area.

I'll do the Wraith Knight though it's got surfaces large enough I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ronin
post Aug 7 2017, 09:07 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,512

Nothing says space age fancy tech like hexes. I like how subtle it is too, just the right touch.

These look great man, makes me wish id cut my teeth playing eldar with an airbrush.

Cheers, Ronin

--------------------
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 7 2017, 11:02 AM
Post #14

Combat Simian

QUOTE(Ronin @ Aug 7 2017, 09:07 AM) *

These look great man, makes me wish id cut my teeth playing eldar with an airbrush.

Me too I wouldn't have sold off 7000 point's of built and magnetised Eldar if I had my airbrush back in the day. It's so much easier to get things to the table with one.

Now if only someone made a machine that did edge highlights. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 8 2017, 01:11 AM
Post #15

Combat Simian

Well had my outing tonight took us a good 4 hours to get through the game just choose good old killy killy No Mercy as the mission and rolled up Search and Destroy for deployment. I choose my table edge based on line of sight and piled force Mellow Yellow into it.

IPB Image

As expected it was a blood bath it took me a good couple of turns to work out how to get the most out of my Farseer using Guide on my Guardians and Doom on anything I just wanted dead. Plus to get good effect out of my ability Battle Focus which basically is fleet of foot these days. So I soon found I could move + advance pretty much my whole force and take no penalties for doing so.

IPB Image

My biggest issue though was the Dual Onager Dunecrawler bubble with dual Tech Priest Dominus keeping the damn things up and running and rerolling 1's. These things just wasted everything they could see the Neutron laser is no ones friend in the old Power Points games thats for sure. I will have to be more creative in how I go up against them in the future. I need to break there bubble get those rerolls away from them and stop the rerolls for the Emanatus Force Field as well. All in all these things will forever be a PITA I'm sure.

I didn't really have a MVP things did there jobs more or less they got dead because of me more or less everything was ok except the Dire Avengers they are poop they will be getting replaced by more Guardians ASAP me thinks. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 10 2017, 11:21 PM
Post #16

Combat Simian

So serpents are in and built but now I have a serious conundrum.

IPB Image

Is the blue turret toooooooo much?

IPB Image

Should I stick to the overall yellow scheme and just have a yellow turret.

Maybe it would look better if I blend it in so the edges aren't so garish?

Thoughts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Aug 11 2017, 12:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,327

It looks good!

maybe use The Hex pattern again with the yellow?

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post
Caliginous
post Aug 11 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #18

Blistering Barnacle
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran
Member No.: 5,646

Yeah man, looks great as is - but I like your idea of blending on the turret too, I think that would work a treat.

--------------------
+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 11 2017, 01:44 PM
Post #19

Combat Simian

Consensus is blending the turret here and elsewhere. So I'll go yelow base's up to blue but no more hex it becomes too busy to the eye otherwise.

See if I can get it done tonight.

--------------------

+Quote Post
VisOne
post Aug 12 2017, 08:50 AM
Post #20

Combat Simian

Much more better'er'errr

IPB Image

I'm dreading finishing the assembling and airbrushing stages here once I start block painting and detailing I'm sure I'm going to go insane. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 02:45 PM