Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hive Fleet Iceberg is Born (New Pics 17/8/06)
Khysanth
post Jul 10 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,728

This being my first modelling diary, I don't expect to set any new boundaries for conversions and painting ability (in fact, I'm not really that good), but I will try my best to entertain you.

My original plan was to create a 2000point army in bugs that gave me some options on how to play. I wanted lots of big bugs, and lots of little bugs. After about two hundred and eighty-three army lists I have written, this is the one I am most interested in completing.

HQ.
Hive Tyrant - 187points
Venom Cannon, Twin Linked Devourers, Toxin Strength, Enhanced Senses, Adrenal Gland(WS), Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Psychic Scream

Troop.
Genestealers x12 - 192points

Genestealers x12 - 192points

Rippers x10 - 100points

Rippers x10 - 100points

Rippers x3 - 36points
Spinefist, Enhanced Senses

Rippers x3 - 36points
Spinefist, Enhanced Senses

Elite.
Carnifex - 113points
Twin Linked Devourer x2, Enhanced Senses

Carnifex - 113points
Twin Linked Devourer, Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands(WS), Mace Tail, Flesh Hooks

Lictor x2 - 160points

Fast.
Ravener x2 - 100points
Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Devourer

Ravener x2 - 100points
Rending Claws, Scything Talons, Devourer

Heavy Support.
Zoanthropes x3 - 195points
Psychic Scream x3, Warp Blast x3

Gunfex - 188points
Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Bonded Exo, Spinebanks

Gunfex - 188points
Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Bonded Exo, Spinebanks

Total Points - 2000

I have several spin-off lists which include models like winged warriors, flying hive tyrant, broodlord with retinue, devigaunts (devourer, toxins) and gargoyles I will be doing also. So all up I am aiming for over 3000pts of nids I reckon, to give me some variety in gameplay at the 1500-2000pt level.

The theme of this army was to coincide with the Tyranid objective of Medusa V to re-obsorb the Death Leaper into the fleet, as its chameleonic abilities make it an awesome predator. So I decided I not only wanted the models based on rocky, snow covered ground, but I would have the models blend in with their surroundings. Ie. Leviathin colours (white skin, with black/purple carapace trim).

Since I am not rich and cannot pay for a ready built army, and off work due to a motorcycle accident, I have plenty of time to paint these all up. As I said, I'm not rich so I went hunting on ebay at the beginning of the year, and managed to pick up $1000 retail value worth of nids for $500. I sold off a few hormigaunts as I knew I wouldnt use them, and set about trying to fix up the aweful mess the guy I bought the mini's off did to them.

So lets start with my Judgment Day army.

This post has been edited by Khysanth: Nov 25 2006, 05:04 PM

--------------------
Hive Fleet Iceberg modelling diary

QUOTE(waxsir @ Feb 25 2007, 01:01 AM) *
Khysanth (Plays tough armys and has evolved IMHO as a great tryanid player in vic)
Thanks wax
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kojihama
post Jul 10 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,782

I'm doing a new Nid army as well, good luck to you.

The tyrant, why bother with +1WS? It's a shooty tyrant. Isn't it also proven that extended carapace doesn't really make a difference as per dakkadakka article? But apart from that, the only other thing I could potentially see is that this list is very lacking in the scoring unti department. Might be hampered in some situations.

64 models, and it's leaning towards a Godzilla list without the Godzillaness... I hope it works for you smile.gif

You most likely will also get pinged for comp with this list due to the 32.8% in troops. But if you're happy to play it, then go hard!

--------------------
There aren't any rules in the game that prohibit me from reaching across the table and punching my opponent face in either. Doesn't mean I do it.
+Quote Post
Khysanth
post Jul 10 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Being my first tournament, I was naturally excited and nervous about what army list I should use. In the end I settled with the following 750pt list.

[glow=red:8e3140ad35]HQ. [/glow:8e3140ad35]
Hive Tyrant - 159points
Venom Cannon, Twin-linked Devourer, Enhanced Senses(BS), Adrenal Gland(WS), Toxic Miasma, Toxin Strength, Horror

[glow=red:8e3140ad35]Troop.[/glow:8e3140ad35]
Genestealers x10 - 160points

Rippers x5 - 60points
Spinefists, Enhanced Senses

[glow=red:8e3140ad35]Fast.[/glow:8e3140ad35]
Ravenor x1 - 50points
Rending and Scything, Devourer

Ravenor x1 - 50points
Rending and Scything, Devourer

[glow=red:8e3140ad35]Elite. [/glow:8e3140ad35]
Lictor x1 - 80points

[glow=red:8e3140ad35]Heavy Support. [/glow:8e3140ad35]
Gunfex - 188points

Total Models: 20
Total Points: 747points

And as of Monday 10th, with 5 days to go, I finished modelling all these and here is what you have all been waiting for, some pics.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

And here is a bit of fluff (a newspaper article) to go with them. Note it all relates to the theme of models on snow bases, the type of units in the army, and Medusa V starting at the same time as my army!

A NEW THREAT!

Amid the raging war that engulfs all of Medusa V, flames continue to spread across the region of Perseus leaving cold and war torn cities in its path. At least 20 factions of Chaos have been reported in the region, but so far their attempts to penetrate the outnumbering defences of the Imperial Guard and Space Marines in the region have easily been thwarted. Laughably for the civilian colonies situated within Perseus, the traitors seem to be fighting amongst themselves as much as strike out against us so they currently pose no immediate threat. It is unknown how the war fares in other regions however, with communications being disrupted for weeks now, but a new threat seems to have emerged from a small mining colony near the northern border of Perseus.

Before communications went dead, we received a growing number of reports of Tyranids infiltrating the planet surface of Medusa V. How they arrived on Medusa is unknown, as Space Marine Fleets orbiting Medusa V have seen no sign of Alien organisms in this sector of space. It has been leaked that the Ordo Xenas has codenamed the threat Hive Fleet “Hydra”, after the first sighting in the Hydra region.

The closest sightings thus far have come from the snow capped region of Articus. Local militia who have fought the menace have labeled them the Hive Fleet “Iceberg”, due to the Alien Xenos being able to adapt their skin colouring to match the snowy grounds of the north. While a Death Leaper has not yet been reported, lictors seem to be infiltrating ahead of the pack, a common strategy employed by these intelligent monsters. The main bulk of the force headed into Perseus from Articus is comprised of the menacing Genestealer, and the gigantic Carnifex’s. Our brave scouts have managed to get close enough to sight a huge Hive Tyrant, seemingly leading the force in the area, wielding ranged weaponry, and has been dubbed the “Titanic Tyrant” [right out of the 20th century history books]!

Through luck as it would seem, a small border patrol near a closed mining site in the northern region of Perseus, have found a disturbing new tunnel breaking the surface, and continuing south. The tunnel is estimated to be capable of allowing a legion of Tyranids to move unmolested underground, from the direction of Articus. Initial fears lie in tunneling Raveners heading south to surprise attack the dug in defences of Iron Hill, that ensure the furnaces of the refineries keep burning! The official response was that at least two companies of Space Marines have been dispatched to detect and obliterate any possible threat. They set out nearly a week ago.
+Quote Post
Paenitentia
post Jul 10 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,973

Comment:

-You don;t have enough rippers, and they need to leap.
- The raveners are good but need to be bigger 3-4's
- 3 lictors or else escalation will kill you.
- look at a Malonthrope for HQ, goes well with rippers and you won't get the "Winged hive tyrant -1 Comp"
- Look at Zoan's with synase creature so your Ravenor won't have to stay within 12" of hive tyrannt, or take ld test every turn.
- Carnifex's as a last resort and don't spend so much on them.

Hope it helps

--------------------
Repent and absolution is but a bolter round away.
Trust Me, you will feel much better for it
+Quote Post
peacekeeper
post Jul 10 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16

Hey look someone who put snow on their base properly! looks groovy! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Khysanth
post Jul 10 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #6

Bare with me while I get the first few posts up and running. Already done a little editing to the first one.

But for Koji and other's benefit, I finally have the time to show how I put together the Gunfex arms. I naturally followed Morsla's guide from his Naga Fleet Diary. I tried it first with the Barbed Strangler as the right arm gun, and the Venom cannon as the left. I made a mess of things, trying to change the direction of the ammo sac feed of the strangler, so I tried it on a second gunfex in the reverse. This proved to be much simpler.

Here is some closeups and some lines showing where I made the cuts.

user posted image
Venom Canon gun is already right handed, however the ammo feed is not. I chopped off the middle of the feed, then with two simple cuts, I changed the arm shoulder/bicep around and the wrist as well. Green stuff is used to join the ammo feed in a hanging position you are happy with easily.

user posted image
The Barbed strangler in the left hand is so much simpler than having it on the right. I simply cut below the bicep and changed the shoulder/bicep around to be left handed. I didn't bother with the elbow, but you could if you wanted too. The feed just needs a little being of the plastic till it goes white to get it lined up right. I used a little green stuff to help it fix to the gun and body.
+Quote Post
Khysanth
post Jul 10 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #7

[quote=Kojihama
]The tyrant, why bother with +1WS? It's a shooty tyrant.[/quote]

I first intended on him having a bonesword/lashwhip so I'd already modelled an Adrenal Gland on him. When I changed to twin Devourers, I decided to keep it anyway, in case someone tries to assault. I figured it would also be cool to move, shoot 6x ST5 (re-roll to hit/wound) and 2x ST8 shots, then charge for a further 3+1 attacks ignoring armour tongue.gif. For 10 points for WS + Miasma, I figured mays well try to utilise the WS5 that would otherwise be paid for.

[quote=Paenitentia ]You don;t have enough rippers, and they need to leap. [/quote]
What? 2 squads maxed at 10 ripper bases? How not enough? I was thinking maybe overkill. I could give 'em leaping by dropping the other 6 bases. Will see.

[quote=Paenitentia ]3 lictors or else escalation will kill you[/quote]

I could always go a third, but didn't think it was necessary with only 5 MC's

[quote=peacekeeper]Hey look someone who put snow on their base properly! looks groovy! [/quote]

Thanks, first time I've used snow so I just used some watered pva and sprikled it over the base till I was happy with how much there was. I didn't want to overkill the snow, as the base still needs a bit of contrast to the model.
+Quote Post
tenabrae
post Jul 10 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #8

Group: Bad Trader
Member No.: 26

The gunfex arms came up well ... but hive fleet iceberg ? who knew lettuce could be deadly ! smile.gif

--------------------
|[TENABRAE]|40k|[Hive Fleet Dryad]|[Feral Angels]|infinity|[Yu Jing]|alkemy|[Aurlock Nation]|
Other Projects||[Foam Building Templates]||My Leatherwork||LeatherWok
+Quote Post
waargh
post Jul 10 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #9

Ruining the hobby

Member No.: 633

Cool purple carapaces, the streaked lines always look the goods tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Kojihama
post Jul 10 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,782

Thanks Khy, very helpful. I'll make some time and work on them this weekend!! Muchos appreciated.

Oh also, fab paint job btw! smile.gif

--------------------
There aren't any rules in the game that prohibit me from reaching across the table and punching my opponent face in either. Doesn't mean I do it.
+Quote Post
Senexis
post Jul 10 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,876

Great snow effects, but you neglected the timber panelling in your camouflage scheme!
+Quote Post
Speed Adict
post Jul 11 2006, 08:33 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 172

They have come up really nice man tongue.gif Look forward to having ym Tau ripped to pieces by them...

--------------------
I know Adict is spelt wrong... it WAS the number plate on my bike.

Chaplain Fortis: "My partner will be there so 2on2s or 1on1s are go."
+Quote Post
Khysanth
post Jul 11 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #13

That's the plan James! If only I was able to get a few practice games in to make sure of it. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Castigo
post Jul 11 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #14

Hobby Olaf
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 206

Looking good there mate, look forward to seeing them on the weekend smile.gif

--------------------
'Those pricks are like sharks teeth, knock one out 3 more appear!' Ry

Current projects:

Word bearers
Crimson fists
Orks
Imperial Guard

Comission work.....Facebook: Skullworks painting

2014 Leaderboard... *fart*

Facebook: Troll1bases
+Quote Post
Khysanth
post Aug 17 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #15

The army is getting bigger! I can now put together a decent 1500pt army with a couple of variations. Here are all the latest units painted.

user posted image

I decided to paint some Devigaunts, for a small change in what I was to paint. I have a couple of varient lists, which I will be playing 1 or 2 squads of 14 gaunts with Devourers and Toxin Sacs. So here is the first squad of 14.

user posted image

Although I was only needing two lictors, the guy I bought majority of these nids from had 3 Lictors, so I tried to remove the paint on them and give them a fresh coat. As such they didn't turn out as good as the first one, but so be it. Better than going out and buying another, or I can always try again to strip the paint.

user posted image

Another set of 12 stealers to add to the previous lot. I've painted the white stripes on the base to differentiate the squads on the table. There will actually be 4 broods of stealers, however the next two I do will be with Extended Carapace, and only be 10 strong each. This way I can alternate using with or without armour for some variety and to test if its worth spending the extra upgrade compared to stock standard stealers.

user posted image

Two more Raveners, also with the white stripe. Most of the time I will run these guys in two seperate broods, 2 in each.

user posted image

And finally, my second Gunfex! If you didn't notice, in an attempt to make the two Gunfex's different by WYSIWYG as well as for composition purposes, not only are the guns on different arms, but each has a different bio-morph of Spinebanks on one, and Mace Tail on the other.

I am not actually as proud of this one compared to the first one I completed. I actually started this guy first following Morsla's modelling diary explanations on how to convert the guns.

Now I am not even remotely proficient in using green stuff, not to mention my sculpting is a D- standard. So naturally I sucked at converting the ammo feed on this guy, and nearly ruined the model altogether! :shock: Which is one reason I started the other one Gunfex first, the second reason is because I wanted to give him spinebanks at Judgement Day.

user posted image

user posted image

However, since JD, I've got a new found respect for Biovores and their spore mine living artillery. So I plan on getting 3 of them down the track and my 1500 - 2000 point armies will always include 1 Gunfex, 2-3 Zoantrhropes and 2-3 Biovores with Acid Mines. In the meantime, I will just play the original list of 2 Gunfex's and 2-3 Zoanthropes.

The 3 Zo's are next on the cards to finish converting, then paint. I also have my elite Carnifex's to finish. The first I will do is the Dakkafex aka Terrorbore, using the new FAQ rules of 2 twin linked devourer's. I will actually convert this guy with magnets so I can alternate him with Devourers, Barbed Strangler and other shooty weapons.

The second elite Carnifex on the table will be what I call a Mixifex. That is, a CC type Carnifex with WS and Initiative Biomorphs along with a pair of devourers and scything talons. Again this guy will have magnets so I can alternate him to be a Screamer Killer or Uberfex or Godfex as required.

After that, the plan is to finish the 20 bases of Rippers. I still need the Spinefist ones to complete their bases, but in time, hopefully some will become available. Then I guess we will finish with the rest of the gaunts (14 Devi's, 50 Termies) and warriors (12 of) for my varient lists. :-?

By the way, more pictures of the guys above can be found on my Blog here

--------------------

Khysanth (Plays tough armys and has evolved IMHO as a great tryanid player in vic)
Thanks wax
+Quote Post
Senexis
post Aug 17 2006, 03:18 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 1,876

They look really great. I particularly like the way the drybrush/frosting looks like almost chameleonic snow camouflage. Excellent work.
+Quote Post
Lachy
post Aug 17 2006, 03:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 485

That's a great looking swarm you've got there mate. I bet it looks superb on the tabletop. tongue.gif

--------------------
Your Honour, the prosecution seeks to make it a condition of the accused's bail that he bathe regularly...
+Quote Post
tsz_loy
post Aug 17 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 313

looking nice man!

so youve gone for a swarm of "biggies" over the little guys? im personally a favourite of the smaller models, but its great to see how you can spin it so much towards personal taste!

--------------------
King of the book Club
+Quote Post
Khysanth
post Aug 17 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #19

Yeah I new there would be alot of interest for people to go the 8x MC lists, and those who will go a complete swarm list. So I thought I'd go in between for something different. I've even been considering an army with 30 wrriors and termagaunts for a swarm based army...but I don't know... its expensive on paper, almost like fielding a grey knight army with an Imperial Guard platoon or two mixed in.

But 5 MC's in the 1500 - 2000pts with a few medium sized guys thown in (Lictors/Raveners/Zoanthropes and soon some Biovores for AP3 lovin'), and a heap of stealers/rippers makes for what appears to be a swarm army while carrying the weight of the big guys.

--------------------

Thanks wax
+Quote Post
Speed Adict
post Aug 17 2006, 05:45 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 172

Looking very freaking nice man, anyone that can paint white half decently deserves a heap of credit wink.gif

--------------------
I know Adict is spelt wrong... it WAS the number plate on my bike.

Chaplain Fortis: "My partner will be there so 2on2s or 1on1s are go."
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 06:49 AM