Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Infinity] Nomads, New photos added 2/5/10
morsla
post Dec 11 2008, 03:05 PM
Post #1

Group Icon

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 3

This week is the first time I've been able to paint my own miniatures in months... so I've dusted off some Infinity figures. I have countless other projects on the desk (a titan, terminators, Trollbloods etc) but a ten-model army seems like a much more achievable project to work on first up.

This thread will be a modelling diary - conversions, work-in-progress shots, painting and a bit of terrain. My tactical blunders and battle reports already have their own thread in the Infinity subforum, over here. Comments and questions are all welcome... I'll be experimenting with some new techniques on these figures, and will be looking for feedback on whether they work.

This is the current list of models:

Characters:
  • Zoe: hacker, engineer and crazy cybernetic lady
  • Pi-well: Zoe's personal robot, equiped with sensors and an optical disruptor
Troops:
  • Mobile Brigada: Heavy infantry, carrying a heavy machinegun (which may be swapped for a combirifle one day)
  • Intruder: Camouflaged medium infantry, carrying a heavy machinegun and a multispectral visor
  • Alguacile: basic trooper, armed with a combirifle
  • Zero: Camouflaged infiltrator, with E/Maulers and deployable repeaters
  • Two Morlocks: tripped out on experimental biomods, carrying chainrifles
Remotes and TAGs:
  • Szalamandra TAG, carrying a hyper-rapid magnetic cannon and heavy flamethrower
  • Reaktion Zond, equipped with a heavy machinegun and 360-degree visor.
  • Transducer Zond, carrying a hacking repeater
It's always a surprise just how damn small these figures are, especially after working on GW or PP models. I'm still pinning most joints, but I really need to get a smaller drill bit. Some figures (like the Zero) have arms that are only 1mm thick - the same width as my smallest drill...

I've done a bit of work on the bases, but the figures only have a couple of basecoat colours at the moment - just playing around with a colour scheme. I think I'll keep the turquoise, but will shade it with some dark red (for purple shadows) and highlight with a yellow-white.

Image 1: Mobile Brigada, Zoe, Pi-well, Intruder
IPB Image

Image 2: Alguacile, Zero, two Morlocks
IPB Image

Image 3: Reaktion Zond, Szalamandra, Transducer Zond
IPB Image

Current base colours:

Turquoise: VGC Falcon Turquoise
White: P3 Frostbite
Grey: P3 Greatcoat Grey

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
[Infinity|Nomads] [Wrath of Kings|Goritsi] [WHQ|Silver Tower]
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
morsla
post Dec 11 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #2

Group Icon

A bit about the bases:

All the models are all raised up a little. Probably not a good idea in a game using true line of sight, but I figure I'm going for style before purpose wink.gif I've generally done this by cutting the tab under their feet, bending it outwards with some pliers, and using it to hold the figure on top of the plastic base. You can see this best on the Intruder above.

I'm using a mixture of plastic tubing (several diameters), I-beams, plastic card and flyscreen mesh to add detail to the bases. There are a few tricks here - the flyscreen mesh is glued down to 1mm plasticard with a couple of drops of superglue, and the I-beams have 1.5mm holes drilled into the ends.

Most of this stuff is glued down with polystyrene cement, and then I bulk out the rest of the base with fishtank gravel and ProCreate putty. Once it has the shape I want, it gets a final coat of sand and PVA to join all the details together.

The bases are given a patchy coat of black and brown, and then drybrushed in shades of grey. Metal areas are done in Boltgun Metal and Chainmail, then washed with a few layers of rust: P3 Bloodstone, Thamar Black and some Vallejo glaze medium. That kills the shine a bit, and helps to tie the rusty metal into the rest of the groundwork.

Rusty metal is also going to stain the ground around it, so I tend to spread the Bloodstone wash onto nearby sand and gravel. A few dots on Burning Orange help to make the largest bits of metal stand out from the mass of brown and grey.

I'll add some tiny patches of static flock to these later on, but I'll try to paint the models (or at least their feet!) before I get to that stage...

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

[40k|Burn the Witch!|Alpha Legion|Harlequins|Inaryss Eldar]|Deathwatch] [Epic|Iyanden]
[Alkemy|Clan Walosi|Jade Triad|Avalon] [WM|Mercenaries|Cryx|River dock] [Hordes|Skorne]
+Quote Post
Fluffy05
post Dec 11 2008, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,327

Nicely done on the bases.

I also like the beginning of the colour scheme!

The will look great when finished.

Happy Gaming,

Allan

--------------------
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

My Miniature Painting & Wargaming Crusade!

Currently playing:

Kings of War: Elves, Kingdoms of Men, Dwarves

Napoleonics (Black Powder Rules): British, Austrians
Ancients: (Hail Caesar Rules) Celts, Romans - Early Imperial and Republican
Flames of War: British Paras, British Armoured LW, US Rifles, US Paras, US Armoured, Germans Panzergrenadiers
SAGA: Normans
Hordes: Circle

Working on:

Deadzone: Starter boxed set plus extra factions & terrain
warpath: Watch this space :)
+Quote Post
Knight_of_Sanguinius
post Dec 12 2008, 06:46 AM
Post #4

Clay Eater

From: Westsieeda! Victoria. Was, Canada Montreal, West Island!!!!
Member No.: 138

Great work getting the diary going Ben.
I'll get mine up on the weekend starting from the ground up with the bases.

Looks the goods in the flesh as well.
What kind of alternate schemes have you been thinking about?
I have already stripped a fig to change direction. wink.gif
Interesting to hear more about the bases, keep it coming.
+Quote Post
tenabrae
post Dec 12 2008, 07:41 AM
Post #5

Group: Bad Trader
Member No.: 26

QUOTE(morsla @ Dec 11 2008, 04:15 PM) *

All the models are all raised up a little. Probably not a good idea in a game using true line of sight, but I figure I'm going for style before purpose wink.gif I've generally done this by cutting the tab under their feet, bending it outwards with some pliers, and using it to hold the figure on top of the plastic base. You can see this best on the Intruder above.

Many of mine are an extra few mm up, it hasn't caused major pproblems (at least in Infinity when it comes down to it it works both ways).

--------------------
|[TENABRAE]|40k|[Hive Fleet Dryad]|[Feral Angels]|infinity|[Yu Jing]|alkemy|[Aurlock Nation]|
Other Projects||[Foam Building Templates]||My Leatherwork||LeatherWok
+Quote Post
Bishop
post Dec 12 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #6

Mozzie: Maori in Oz

Member No.: 406

Looks cool.
Thanks for the mini-tute on the bases.

Cheers
Mark

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

Whanau - Trollbloods (Hordes) Convic Painting Challenge Blog/Modelling Diary | Swordwing - DA Doublewing (40k) | Markz & Sparkz - Orks (40k) | Dread Company - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | Junkyard Dogs - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | K-Block - Orcs (BB) Blog/Modelling Diary
+Quote Post
Diesel
post Dec 12 2008, 08:08 AM
Post #7

Still a Slave to Commorragh...

Member No.: 110

I notice no feeder belt on the HMC on the Szally Ben...mine took me ages to get right..and it broke a few times....small fiddly stuff like that is annoying sometimes wink.gif

Nice work though!!

Cheers

Tony
+Quote Post
morsla
post Dec 12 2008, 12:02 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

biggrin.gif

The ammo feed is still sitting on my desk (amongst the debris of hundreds of other figures...). When I pick up a 0.5mm or 0.85mm drill bit, I'll pin the two pieces together. It's already bent to the right shape, but it's thinner than the drill bit I have at the moment...

KoS - I keep wanting to put red onto the models, and then I remember that I've just painted red armies for Warmachine, Hordes and 40k. I'm trying to stick to cooler colours for now... red can wait until I start a Yu Jing Japanese army full of motorbikes smile.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Knight_of_Sanguinius
post Dec 13 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #9

Clay Eater

Funny you mention that, when I'm looking at them I'm seeing red. That might be just subliminal messages from the studio colour. smile.gif
Turquoise just seems right for Infinity figs, i know I will have a little on mine somewhere. Sounds like a good plan for the shading look forward to seeing them as they come along.

This post has been edited by Knight_of_Sanguinius: Dec 13 2008, 06:56 AM
+Quote Post
Icedragon
post Dec 13 2008, 08:17 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,731

Great basin technics.

That is a good idea with the bases. gluing them raised giving a larger surface for the glue.

good choose of colours . just an idea. i think if you add some black wash it to the joins it will bring them to life a little more.

--------------------
regards Jason
of Sth'Bris

I Collect Dystopian Wars/Prussian and The empire of the sun. Plus Blood Angels, dark angels, necron and Moria Goblins.Warhammer ogres, also X-wing. Have Dread Fleet and want zombicide.
lotr/40k Wargaming Group - Bray Park Alliance (Nth'Bris) But doe's live south side.
Address: Bray Park Community Church, 10 Youngs Crossing Road, Bray Park.
Cost: $6, including lunch.
Timing: From 12 noon to 5pm, 1st Sunday of every month

On face book brayparkalliance all as one word https://www.facebook.com/BrayParkAlliance?ref=hl
+Quote Post
morsla
post Dec 13 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Group Icon

I'll add some more contrast to the figures once I finish off some colours - at the moment, I've just splashed around a bit of grey and turquoise smile.gif

I got all enthused about painting this afternoon, and tried using the Alguacile as a test model. Unfortunately, all my colours seem far too similar...

Grey areas:
I really like the Privateer Press Everblight figures, and tried re-doing the grey areas with a mix of Thamar Black (flat black) and Coal Black (a dark turquoise colour). Unfortunately, my attempts at highlighting it have failed so far.

KoS - can you share any tips on working with Coal Black? Your Legion models have all seemed to work out well, particularly on figures like the Raptors.

Turquoise areas:
Adding red (P3 Sanguine Base) to turquoise gives me exactly the same colour as P3 Coal Black. Not really enough contrast for a true shading colour, and unfortunately it matches the base colour of other parts of the model. Must try something different there...

Highlighting turquoise with white hasn't worked either - the highlights are quickly lost on the model if too subtle, and they don't work at all if they are too bright. Frustrating...

I've tried using Midlund Flesh to highlight the turquoise, to much better results - it gives a warm, yellowish hue that looks much more natural. I like the effect, though I'll have to mix warmer highlights for the other colours to avoid having it clash.

Metallic areas:
These were already done when I took the photos before. I've undercoated with a thinned layer of Chainmail, and then shaded with a mix of P3 Blue and Brown inks, water, and Vallejo glaze medium.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
Knight_of_Sanguinius
post Dec 13 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #12

Clay Eater

No problems, I started working on the Legion stuff before P3 Coal Black was around. All the legion stuff that I have done is with a lot of mixed GW paints. I got the mix's from a Brusthralls tutorial and found it was a real winner.

Base Chaos black and Highlight up.
I made 4 premixes of these colours to paint legion figs knowing that I was going to be using it a lot.

2:1 Chaos Black : Enchanted Blue
1:1 Chaos Black : Enchanted Blue
1:1:1 Chaos Black : Enchanted Blue : Elf Flesh
1:1:2 Chaos Black : Enchanted Blue : Elf Flesh

The key to Highlighting Coal Black up is Light flesh/cream colours. Probably Ryn flesh/Menoth white highlight. Same as what you have discovered with the turquoise. smile.gif

With shading the turquoise, how about Trollblood base. That with a little coalblack mixed in might kick of the shading a little better. And then may be add the Sanguine base. That might start getting you that dark red/purple shade.
I have actually found that a little coal Black in sanguine base is a good dark shade colour for Red.

Hope some of that might help.
biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
morsla
post Dec 14 2008, 12:09 PM
Post #13

Group Icon

Awesome - that helps a lot. I'd been trying to work out how to get a warm highlight on Coal Black, without making it look a sickly shade of green (which happened last time I tried it...).

I don't think I have any Enchanted Blue left, but I'll try using the Cygnar blue highlight - that should be about the right colour.

I think Midlund Flesh and Menoth White Highlight will be my main highlight colours, at least on anything with a blue-green base. I should probably use MWH on the white areas, too... though that might clash a bit with the cold Frostbite base colour.

re. Turquoise - I've tried using Trollblood base, but the colour is a bit too desaturated to work with the Turquoise - it ends up looking a bit too grey. I think I'll try adding a bit more red to it, to keep the colours fairly strong.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post May 5 2009, 01:50 PM
Post #14

Group Icon

Old thread, arise!

I've now moved house, and uncovered the box of Nomads again. I've also joined in on the Tabletop Gaming News Battle Challenge, in an attempt to find some painting motivation...

The new plan is to paint a 200 point list, using models that I already own where possible. Once that's done, I'll look at adding new figures as they happen to take my fancy.

The following is my new painting list. I still need to buy the Interventor, but at least I own all the rest. The Szalamandra will have to wait until I'm looking at expanding the list.

Interventor LT [Hacking Device + and Combirifle] 26/0.5
Zoe & Pi-Well [Combirifles & loads of extra gear] 53/0
Alguacile [Combirifle] 10/0
Intruder [HMG & Grenades] 44/1.5
Zero [E/Mauler, deployable repeaters, Combirifle] 24/0.5
Reaktion Zond [HMG, Antipersonnel mines] 28/1
Transductor Zond [Repeater] 8/0
Morlock [Chainrifle] 7/0

9 Models (8 Regular, 1 Irregular); 200 points on the dot; 2.5 SWC

That should have enough bits to have some fun with the hacking rules (three sources of repeaters, two hackers). I'll start taking new WIP photos later on this week, once there's something to show.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post May 18 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #15

Group Icon

Got lots of painting done tonight - I'll take some photos in daylight tomorrow smile.gif

The TGN challenge has been working so far... following 20-odd other Infinity army diaries has motivated me to get some paint on my Nomads. All figures now have basecoats on them, though the Reaktion and Brigada have lagged behind the others.

I have some very unhealthy looking Morlocks, too... lots of turquoise and purple in their fleshtones, brought right up to white on the highlights. I figure that a life of Nomad nightclubs and Bakunin pharmaceuticals probably isn't great for your complexion. Neither Morlock looks particularly human now.

I've had trouble painting the TAG, as all those large, smooth armour plates seem to absorb highlights... 5-6 layers in, there's hardly any visible effect. I think I'll add some decals to the model and then start weathering it: I have a clean basecoat to work from, and I'm more interested in adding detail via weathering from this point on.

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post May 19 2009, 05:58 PM
Post #16

Group Icon

Hmmm... my new Mac doesn't seem to recognise the USB card reader, so it's taken a while to get the pictures off the camera.

Very dodgy pics (taken on the living room floor, in a ray of sunlight) but they should show the basic colours used. On most figures I've only highlighted the turquoise armour so far, with the white and black having just a single basecoat layer.

Zero, Zoe and the Intruder:
IPB Image

Alguacile and two Morlocks:
IPB Image

Pi-well and a Transductor Zond (no highlights at all on the Zond):
IPB Image

The Szalamandra:
IPB Image

The Szalamandra has some gloss varnish on it, ready for a few transfers. Still need to fix up the black and white armour, and then add some weathering.

Lots of work left to do on these guys (and girls, and robots...) smile.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
dedhed
post May 19 2009, 06:01 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,591

looking good, like the cleanness??? of the white and green. I should get back to painting mine.
+Quote Post
Zippy Wonderdog
post May 19 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 333

Looking good, I see you lost the Intruders antenna, I did to and replaced mine with a antenna from a Haqqislam drone.
+Quote Post
morsla
post May 19 2009, 06:23 PM
Post #19

Group Icon

Wow - I just checked the CB site, and they really do come with antennae. I'd never noticed that before...

I may have assumed it was part of the sprue, though I thought I checked everything carefully when putting them together. Oops armata_PDT_04.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post
morsla
post Jun 6 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #20

Group Icon

Update time!

I took these before I finished painting the TAG, but haven't been able to get them off the camera... being a Mac n00b, I disconnected the memory card without ejecting it, and now the Mac won't recognise any files on the thing sad.gif

Work-in-progress updates:
IPB Image

Starting to weather the TAG a little:
IPB Image

And these sneaky buggers crept onto the painting table and distracted me from my Nomads...

IPB Image

I've also done a bit more on Pi-well and the Transductor Zond. One of these days I may actually finish a figure, instead of constantly moving on to new ones smile.gif

--------------------
My Admin voice is red.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2017 - 04:45 PM