Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [BB] resurrected in 2010 - 12 months after last update, Poll added in another thread.
Bishop
post Mar 23 2009, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Mozzie: Maori in Oz

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 406

[Edit]*Note: I reserve the right to change my mind at anytime and make the fluff substantiate my changes. FYI I'll highlight any changes/edits in red* biggrin.gif
So I've sat on my ar$e and done nothing with these BB miniatures I have.
To slide the reality of collecting yet more miniatures past the CFO (wife) it started out as being conceptualised on behalf of my youngest daughter, Amalia who is 8 months tomorrow. Really just finding an excuse to collect yet more figures of another system.
With a BB league starting at the local (WSWA) and strong support from mates (WACCY) and neighbours (DAWG Pound) I'd fallen on board with a plastic ork team I'd called the 'Purple People Eaters' (PPE) for no other reason than Amalia going purple in the face when she shared her attitude and opinions about anything.
I'd been impressed with an alternative Ork colour skin colour scheme used by Ben/waargh on his prize winning orks and thought it would be cool to challenge myself with this...aside from the fact that I can't paint skin of any kind for nuts.
Further investigation discovered that Ben's Orks had a one time been called the PPE too.
So a name change was in order...and maybe the scheme too.

In the interim I'd joined in WAU spamming of a WSWA thread with this:

Part1:

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...66788&st=41 Feb 13 2009, 01:11 PM

Furry Dog K'Bab scowled as sat on his Krapper flicking through the current edition of "Blood 'n' Balls", the WSWABBL monthly rag, while he waited for movement.
He'd been told that if he could read there was some worthy content.
What did he care.
Looking at the pictures was gratifying.
That new Bad Moon Star player Krush-tail looked edible in yellow body paint.

He flicked to the calendar to see who they were playing this week.
What does 'Purple People Eaters - bye' mean he wondered?

"KA-THUNK"!

Something hard hit the bottom of his krapper.
It was a penny.
Boss hadn't paid for their kit yet.

Sullenly Dog reached behind him and picked up his empty kit bag throwing it in the Krapper.
Lifting the Krapper over his shoulder he pushed his way out of the Pros-krast'nashun Pub and went looking for the Boss.
He pulled something out of his krak as he stomped towards the Pain' Binch and wondered what excuse the Boss would have this time.

So...I recently started cleaning the models for painting and working on paint schemes, fiction etc.
I have another army that has never seen daylight which is a WM Menoth army of around 2000pts that I've gathered using my oldest daughter Kesara (3 1/2 yrs old) as an excuse.
Seeing as the BB orks are likely to see table time in the near future and Kesara is the oldest child it stand to reason she really should be honoured first.
Out with PPE...in with K-Block.

and now the eagerly awaited continuation...

Part2:

Dog stood there kicking his right toe plate in to the bitumen pitch.
Damn it itched where they’d stuck in the sharps.
Why did it have to be between the toes where you couldn’t get at it?

The itch was the least of his worries…having purple skin was down-right insulting for an Ork.
One minute he was drinking in the pub and the next thing he was waking up in a cell with a number tattooed on his forehead, purple skin and feeling like a pin cushion.

He had no idea what was going on but the testing stopped when he was picked for the team.
It was good to have gear and be bashing again even if it was for the ‘Bish’. Pro-ball, thats what they called it.
He wondered how the Purple People Eaters were doing with out him. Probably still sitting on their krappers waiting for the Boss. Lazy fool. So much potential.
He wasn’t sure he liked his player name, Krutch, but seeing as all the players from K-Block had funny names that all sounded the same he’d live with it. It was marginally better than KR8416-09.
He was also glad that Krematorium was on his team. That dude was one massive mother, even for a Black Orc. He did look funny with purple skin. Maybe that’s why he was always angry…all the time.

Inquisitor Bishop surveyed his team from the 3rd floor window of K-Block as they were put through yet another series of endurance patterns.
He was getting close to finding the essence of ‘waargh’.
It was convenient to have a never ending supply of ‘volunteers’ to test his theories upon.
A little Bloodbowl along the way was purely an indulgence in a past passion.
Picking a team from those that survived the experiments was the key challenge, a cohesive team was another issue all together, but the patients seemed to enjoy the distraction of a good game as much as the staff.
It even seemed to take the subjects mind off the skin pigmentation alteration that had occurred as a result of stage 2 of the experimenting.
It was interesting that only the survivors experienced a shift to purple skin tones and none of them remained green.
It helped his cause too as none of the survivors had attempted escape from the facility. It would be hard to hide amongst your peers when you looked like a pansy.

He looked over his team roster and realised some potential amongst them:
Kripp’l, Krematorium and the twins Krusha’ and Krunch were solid Black Orcs.
Krash, Kruiz, Krisis and Krypton all had the makings of fine Blitzers.
Kracka’ and Krutch, basic Linesman but showed good potential.
Krazee…what would you expect from an Orc that wanted to throw the ball away.

The naming convention had been his idea. This was his facility after all and for some reason K-Block had the most resilient patients. They kind of suited them too. Krematorium was one massive angry mother, Krypton was hypo and Kruiz was the coolest cucumber in the fridge.
The players even seemed to identify with their ‘given’ names rather than their inmate number. He hadn’t expected that but welcomed it all the same.
They were just as keen to stay out of the testing cells as he was to win a few games.

(More fiction to follow as the PPE are retired and Inquisitor Bishop prepares his team for the neighbourhood league but basic summary is: the 'Quis is a radical who is running tests on Orks to discover the source of 'waargh' and in the interim is pulling potential candidates from the surviving ranks of volunteers for his own personal BB team...)

OK...we have a team name, player roster and player names, cleaned mini's (I HATE PLASTIC) but what the hell are we going to paint them?
Purple skin in honour of the originating theme was in (special mention to Ben/waargh for tips on 'how to'...I only hope I will do it justice). Kesara had also seen a couple of the test models I'd splashed as well and announced she liked some colours more than others.
Mention to Luke/Tyra-nid for his tips on using washes for coloured skin.
Pics will come as the team comes together.
Don't hold your breath.
I'm not know as a fast painter.

The scheme is:
Skin tones - purple.
Armour - silver (maybe aged a little...unsure)
Material - prison issue orange
Bases - worn bitumen (grey, homogeneous, pitch markings etc)

This post has been edited by Bishop: Jul 23 2010, 03:42 PM

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

Whanau - Trollbloods (Hordes) Convic Painting Challenge Blog/Modelling Diary | Swordwing - DA Doublewing (40k) | Markz & Sparkz - Orks (40k) | Dread Company - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | Junkyard Dogs - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | K-Block - Orcs (BB) Blog/Modelling Diary
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bloodbrotherdave
post Mar 23 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Devil Dog

Member No.: 441

all sounds good.

might even dig around and find some thin chain for broken leg irons.
and as a prison team they have more reasons to have numbers printed on them biggrin.gif

--------------------

I like to tell a little story about the last man who was in a sword fight with Caine. During the fight he was heard commenting on how crappy a blade it was, old and busted, not cared for, and on and on. Finally he asked Caine what its name was. Caine grinned and said "Sword." and then shot the guy 4 times.
PPS_Kevin
+Quote Post
Diesel
post Mar 24 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #3

Still a Slave to Commorragh...

Member No.: 110

Nice Bishop.

Been watching the Longest Yard with Adam Sandler? biggrin.gif

Cheers

Deez
+Quote Post
Griddon
post Mar 25 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,917

Nice work Bishop.

Longest yard? What a let down. The original Mean Machine was so much better! wink.gif
+Quote Post
Bloodbrotherdave
post Mar 25 2009, 09:34 PM
Post #5

Devil Dog

and both were remakes of the Burt Original biggrin.gif

--------------------

I like to tell a little story about the last man who was in a sword fight with Caine. During the fight he was heard commenting on how crappy a blade it was, old and busted, not cared for, and on and on. Finally he asked Caine what its name was. Caine grinned and said "Sword." and then shot the guy 4 times.
PPS_Kevin
+Quote Post
Griddon
post Mar 26 2009, 04:01 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Bloodbrotherdave @ Mar 25 2009, 10:34 PM) *

and both were remakes of the Burt Original biggrin.gif

I was referring to the Burt Original, not the ######ty Vinnie Jones soccer jobby.. wink.gif
+Quote Post
Welsh Rarebit
post Mar 26 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 5,740

I think the Burt Original was called "The Mean Machine" in the UK, i think it was called "The Longest Yard" everywhere else though i may be mistaken.
+Quote Post
Bloodbrotherdave
post Mar 26 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #8

Devil Dog

yep Ry has it.

still like the Vinnie Jones one though biggrin.gif

--------------------

PPS_Kevin
+Quote Post
Bishop
post Apr 7 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #9

*update*
I had a go at painting purple skin. I suked.
I had a go at some other colours too and they were equally as bad.
Back we go to white undercoat and we start again.
Of the tested shades Blue, Purple and Red had shown the most promise.
Time to try the new Citadel washes.
I blocked out the metallics in black so the skin could pretty much be washed and I'd be left with secondary shade's and metallics for a finished model.
I borrowed some washes from a mate (thanks Roy) and splashed a little purple on the first model.
WOW!
Cool.
So we are back on deck with purple skin then. (fluff amended)
Painting progresses.

I've also only had 2x turns of BB previously before getting in to it so a pre-league practice game was in order.

K-Block vs. Pointy Eared Elven
Both starter teams of 1mil using league rules and LRB5+2008.
Great to get in a full game.
I got lucky with some high rolls and the Elf's had some shocking rolls.
Finished up with a 2-1 win and half the elf's in the casualty ward.

Need to finish off the painting and then get in to some out-of-school action in the WSWABBL.

*Note: Chaps I hadn't even thought about the parallel to the Longest Yard movies (of all varieties) but now that you've pointed it out I can see it. Not my intention but no issue for me either way. The names though are sounding more and more rap gangster to me. Funny. Perhaps I should be washing their skin with badab(sp) black and calling them a posse. wink.gif

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

Whanau - Trollbloods (Hordes) Convic Painting Challenge Blog/Modelling Diary | Swordwing - DA Doublewing (40k) | Markz & Sparkz - Orks (40k) | Dread Company - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | Junkyard Dogs - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | K-Block - Orcs (BB) Blog/Modelling Diary
+Quote Post
Diesel
post Apr 7 2009, 10:59 AM
Post #10

Still a Slave to Commorragh...

Member No.: 110

Nice Bish, glad you enjoyed your game of BB wink.gif

Pics of your progress too smile.gif

Deez
+Quote Post
Bishop
post May 13 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #11

So the painting went well...but now I really dislike the good old plastic Orc miniatures. Roy correctly pointed out that they are probably some of the oldest plastic GW models around and while they certainly do the job...they are 'plain' and repetitive.
Note the clean base edging to identify the models for my opponent eg. Green = Blocker, White = Thrower, Black = Lineman, Red = Blitzer
Also the aged asphalt 'BB pitch' bases are cracked and growing grass. Really happy with how these turned out.
IPB Image

IPB Image IPB Image IPB Image

Plans are now to scratch build an Orc team.
It's certainly be done before and mine probably won't be terribly original but I don't really care. At elast each model will be individual.
I'll attempt to keep some of the character of the original models with little things here and there eg. helmets on the BoB's will have horns plus they will be in chain and plate mail, Blitzers will have 1x gloved/armoured hand and less armour than the BoB's, Throwers will have no helmet and the least armour, Linesmen will be slightly smaller in scale than the Blitzers/BoBs etc.
Not planning on doing any GS work if I cna avoid it. Lazy I know. But WTF.

I'll keep to pretty much the same colour scheme as the original K-Block team because it works but I may individualise/position identify a little differently.

Will I have them ready by WAACYbowl? Unlikely but we'll see how I go.

It starts
IPB Image

This post has been edited by Bishop: May 13 2009, 05:35 PM

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

+Quote Post
Griddon
post May 13 2009, 07:45 PM
Post #12

I like the paint scheme Bish. Nicely done.

Chris
+Quote Post
Tyra_Nid
post May 13 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #13

Not Insulting You
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran I
Member No.: 3,092

Looking cool!

I have to say, the WHFB black orcs look great in BB smile.gif.

--------------------
QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Dec 3 2014, 04:13 PM) *

I'm going to break with tradition and have some useful advice.
+Quote Post
Bishop
post Jun 1 2009, 02:23 PM
Post #14

Time moves along...
First Black Orc Blocker (BoB)
I wanted him to have a true Line of Scrimmage blocking/attacking stance so he's low to the ground, braced with one fist just on the ground, head up facing forwards etc.
He'll be posed over the base so his back right leg is on the back on the base and left fist on the front of the base. His left leg will be right off the back of the base.
No GS was utilised/harmed during the making of this model...although creating thumbs and carving out the inside of hands from gray plastic where it used to hold a weapon is an interesting past time.

The other three BoB's are cleaned for assembly I just wanted to start on one of the more 'action' based poses.

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

+Quote Post
Welsh Rarebit
post Jun 1 2009, 03:15 PM
Post #15

Now THAT is a Blood Bowl model. Awesome mate.
+Quote Post
Knight_of_Sanguinius
post Jun 1 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #16

Clay Eater

From: Westsieeda! Victoria. Was, Canada Montreal, West Island!!!!
Member No.: 138

Nice work Mark.
They are going to look great.
+Quote Post
Bishop
post Jun 4 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #17

Thanks for your comments folks. It keeps you motivated.
I've been home for the last couple of days looking after an ill young family which has given me a little extra time to finish this lads so here are the rest of the BoB's.
BoB2 - the surrogate leader and tactician of the 4x BoB's
IPB Image IPB Image

BoB3 - doing his best impression of a gorilla beat down

BoB4 - about to lay on the ultimate Mike Tyson Knock Out overhand right.

The BoBs - rugby photo
IPB Image

Now moving on to the Blitzers...stay tuned folks.

This post has been edited by Bishop: Jul 22 2009, 02:24 PM

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

+Quote Post
Welsh Rarebit
post Jun 5 2009, 08:02 AM
Post #18

Great work Mark, love it. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Tyra_Nid
post Jun 5 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #19

Not Insulting You
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran I
Member No.: 3,092

BRILLIANT biggrin.gif

They look fantastic Mark biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Dec 3 2014, 04:13 PM) *

I'm going to break with tradition and have some useful advice.
+Quote Post
Cron Lord
post Jun 18 2009, 12:17 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5,906

Loving the work there Mark. Looking forward to the next batch.
Dave

--------------------
Luna Wolves Diary - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=82085

Geelong Heresy 2010 Best Presented Army
Melbourne in Flames 2011 Players Choice Army
Ballarat Downfall 2011 Players Choice Army
IronMan 2011 Best Sports and Best Nipper
Apocalypse 2011 Best Sports
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2017 - 10:41 AM