Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [WFB] Road to DogCon and beyond, Updated: 22/01/10 - 2250pts Completed!
Conan B
post Nov 18 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 7,838

UPDATED: 22/01/10

Models in list:

Mounted Sorcerer
Mounted Sorcerer
Disc Sorcerer
Mounted BSB

5 Warhounds
5 Horsemen
5 Horsemen
15 Marauders

Chariot
Chariot
3 Dragon Ogres
5 Knights

Giant
Warshrine

FINISHED!!!

ORIGINAL POST:

So after getting back into wargamming and deciding to give WFB a try this time I dove straight in with chaos, an army I had considered starting with years ago (have the first multi-part warrior kit in a box that I had purchased with that intention but never went anywhere).

After having the army for a month I went along to Pilgrimage and loved it, so decided I would paint up the army and head to DogCon. Only problem is I got lazy with the army and got busy with work, so nothing has been painted since!

So I finally got started with it monday night.

I had decided I wanted a slight theme in the army, so have gone with a "Swords and Sorcery" (aka Hyborian aka Conan the Barbarian) theme with a few model choices. This also meant the colour scheme had to be a neutral scheme. I decided not to go with a tribal/barbarian theme, but instead went with a "King Conan" or "Conan the General" type of colour scheme.

I've finally got an army list that I'm happy with and hopefully will perform well (still needs some playtesting) and have purchased 95% of the models.

So the goal now; PAINT THE DAMN THING BEFORE DOGCON 2010!

So without further delay, here is the test model I did up monday night (sorry for shoddy camera work, can never get the right lighting):

IPB Image

I went with a bronze/copper/gold look with natural browns/creams for the leather, and I'm fairly happy with the result.

And early work on the warhounds (still need to do something about the gore detail, thinking just red wash):

IPB Image

Now since I love converting plastics I wanted to put together some good characters, and since I always mount them on steeds I needed a few mounted! Say a sorcerer, BSB maybe tongue.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Since it's not a "Chaos" themed army the wizard had to look more like an armoured shaman/advisor/wizard/counselor that King Conan may have around, even though he has an aversion to all things magical tongue.gif

As for the BSB, well come on, a flail is bog standard!

Both were put together from the knights, marauders, horsemen, and empire wizard plastic sprues.

Now another thing I have run with lately is a warshrine. For a while I wasn't sure what to use, but found this toy and decided it would be perfect painted up right with a marauder spearman riding it! This sucker is huge, about 50% bigger than a chariot base and almost just as tall!

IPB Image

And finally, another unit I've been toying with lately that I found a great model for!

IPB Image

Awesome looking giant model I picked up, just have to base it so it's a little taller as his a little squat.

I also picked up this model by the same manufacturer to use as a second giant or a Hellcannon:

IPB Image

Anyways, aim is to get it all painted up in the next 2 months and this thread along with DogCon will be my motivation!

Expect to see my converted disc rider up soon, along with the full warrior unit and some knights!

Haven't painted a full force in years, this will be interesting.

Conan.

This post has been edited by Conan B: Jan 22 2010, 09:48 PM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Coercion
post Nov 18 2009, 11:06 PM
Post #2

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,376

Hellcannon?

Paint job is looking a little bland, add something to make it stand out a bit, maybe paint the chaos star bright red or the helmet pure white, something that will draw attention.

Also, with the dude riding the horse, he should be leaning foward a bit as the horse rears, the pose looks really unnatural.
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Nov 18 2009, 11:25 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Coercion @ Nov 19 2009, 12:06 AM) *

Hellcannon?

The gorilla is as large as the giant, and will have converted marauder handlers and a pile of boulders that it hurls (many Conan stories feature gorillas, one story having a gorilla that hurls a massive jade boulder at Conan that no man can lift). Still debating trying to convert it's raised hand to be holding a boulder, otherwise I already have rocks the perfect size to be on it's base and sitting in it's left hand.

And I actually like the "bland"ness of the warrior. I'm after a natural looking finish, so a white helmet I don't picture as matching in my mind (I somehow doubt Conan would go around in leather and bronze and then a bright white helmet. Though bone might suffice).

And yes you are right about the rider. Annoyingly I didn't pick that up until the next morning after having pinned and glued him together. I have a 3rd converted caster/hero being assembled (isn't in the DogCon list so no hurry) that does have it leaning forward. His also holding a nice little snake symbol as homage to the Conan movie, so should look swell.
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Dec 5 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #4

Just a few new pics.

Finished the warriors the other week but hadn't taken pics.
I really like the way they turned out; the burnished gold/bronze effect looks so much better in person, the pics don't to it justice. I also really like the natural look of them.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Also the current "general" conversion. Since my army currently is lead by a wizard (until I have a Conan converted up!) he was done up with parts from the marauder kit, along with the snake staff-head from the empire wizard set. Looks great in person, and I can't wait to start painting him! Also, he is seated forward, just the pics don't show it too well tongue.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Doing a similar snake staff-head for an infantry wizard that I am just waiting for glue to dry to finish it up (had to sculpt some of that one, not sure if I'm happy with my results, but they'll have to do, first time for everything!

Everything but the giant and warshrine/mammoth are undercoated, and I will be starting on the horsemen/knights/chariot to have them completed in time for the WAU club Christmas Tourney the weekend before xmas. Means that I would have a month to paint/convert 9 models or so for DogCon.
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Dec 6 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 6,892

Looking good buddy!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Dec 9 2009, 09:51 PM
Post #6

My infantry wizard/hero:

IPB Image

And some WIP knights/bsb behind it.
+Quote Post
sharper1911
post Dec 10 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,836

Looking awesome Conan mate. I like the colour scheme, it is very natural looking and whilst not making any part stand out especially looks well done. Can't wait to see the gorilla giant/cannon completed.

We will be having some gaming days at our club after xmas, I will let you know the details if you wanna come along.

I have been slack on my army painting and will be pushing it to make it all in time. Luckily I cahnged the list somewhat and have heaps less to paint now.

--------------------
"I can't really say it better than what Simon has said." - Andrew "Guns" Galea

Simon Harper manages to be one of the biggest douchebags and yet somehow is also a good guy..
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Dec 10 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #8

Would love to come out for some games. I don't teach any more classes until Feb so my weeknights/weekends will be fairly free.

Unfortunately the gorilla/cannon isn't in my DogCon list, but I have been painting him up a bit to finish after the rest of the army is set. Can't decide if I have him black (silverback style) or brown.

Right now I'm powering through trying to get models done in time for my clubs xmas tourney in less than 2 weeks. What that means is I'm currently having to paint:

5 knights
mounted bsb
mounted general
chariot
shaggoth

...in less than 2 weeks... while also doing contract programming work in my spare time...

Shaggoth wont be a problem, and the knights, after adding the copper base coat, won't be as much of a concern as I originally thought. The shaggoth is basically going to be done up similar to the warhounds. It's the details on the characters that might not be finished in time for the xmas comp. Not after paint scores anyway really, just fun games, so base coats might have to do smile.gif

And no the shaggoth isn't in my DogCon list, just the fluffy "take units you usually wouldn't" xmas tourney list wink.gif

This post has been edited by Conan B: Dec 10 2009, 09:00 AM
+Quote Post
sharper1911
post Dec 10 2009, 04:07 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,836

Lol, nice. Good to see you aren't taking an uber soft list list The Pilg. I am trying out a totally new list so am up for games. Weeknights and weekends are pretty much booked out between now and xmas and working until the 23rd. Maybe the 23rd in the morning and then def after xmas will be free.

Keen to see the army and also how much you have improved. Hoping to see you get a good showing at Dogcon.

--------------------
"I can't really say it better than what Simon has said." - Andrew "Guns" Galea

Simon Harper manages to be one of the biggest douchebags and yet somehow is also a good guy..
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Jan 8 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Well I submitted my list for DogCon last night.
It ended up fairly different to my initial plans, and unfortunately increases what I need to paint in the next 3 weeks.

Sorcerer on Disc (painted)
Sorcerer on Barded Steed (painted)
Sorcerer on Barded Steed
BSB on Barded Steed (painted)

5 Warhounds (painted)
15 Marauders w/ Shields
5 Marauder Horsemen
5 Marauder Horsemen

3 Dragon Ogres
5 Knights

Chariot (painted)
Chariot

Warshrine
Giant

As you can see, that's a lot to quickly paint!

Not using the warriors really ruins it for me, as that was 12 painted models that soaked up a lot of points, and without them it adds 16 extra models to paint.

The giant and knights have begun being painted, and each should take a night each to finish up.

The dragon ogres are made from LotR Mordor Trolls. They are assembled and undercoated, and will probably take a night to finish. I want to try and paint a free-hand dragon on their shields so that they stand out more as "dragon" ogres.

The second chariot wont be an issue, though I need to quickly pickup 2 extra knight horses for it.

The 2nd mounted sorcerer will also take a night to do, but shouldn't cause any problems.

The horsemen will probably take a couple nights but I have a good idea on their colour scheme so should be easy, and same goes for the 15 marauders. They will take time, but I know what I want for them so so a few more nights there.

I want to leave a weekend free to do the warshrine. I haven't started on building the mammoths amour plates yet. I still haven't decided what to do for it's faceplate, but know what I want for it's trunk/shoulders. I've started converting the marauder rider so once I have the armour plates and base done the mammoth shouldn't be a problem to paint.

So, that is a lot to get done in a couple of weeks. Ouch. But I WILL get there. Pics of the disc later tonight, along with a Shaggoth I had to paint up for a tourney just before xmas. The Dragon Ogres will be done in similar skin colours.

This post has been edited by Conan B: Jan 12 2010, 12:35 AM
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Jan 14 2010, 12:02 AM
Post #11

New pics:

Some models still need extra details added, but my aim is to get the models tourney-ready before I worry about details. No point doing all this if they wont be ready to play with!

General and BSB:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Disc Rider (disc being a chunk of earth rising from the ground):

IPB Image
IPB Image

Giant (with warrior for size comparison):

IPB Image

Chariot (chariot frame, new plastic knight horses, first-run metal marauders with flails):

IPB Image

'Dragon Clan' Ogres (LotR Morder trolls as Dragon ogres):

IPB Image

The dragon ogres need a lot of work still. Teeth/Eye/Scale/Spear detail still needed. I'm not happy with how these guys turned out. I need to brighten them up but not sure how at this stage. Skin has been highlighted/drybrushed already, guess I could try for a little more.

I also want to try and do a free-hand dragon symbol on their shields if I get time, so it's a little easier to identify them as "Dragon Clan" Drogres. Plan to get some OK Ogre Bulls as chaos ogres, and since I don't want "dragon/reptilian" creatures in my army (except the rare time I use my chaos dragon) I decided to go with the LotR Trolls as my Drogres so they look more impressive than the ogres.

And bonus pic, my Shaggoth I painted up for a fluffy xmas tourney where fielding troops you never usually do is a big plus (reptilian yes, and is rarely ever fielded anyway wink.gif:

IPB Image
IPB Image

Like I said almost all the models need extra details (BSB needs a symbol on his banner for example), but all that is low priority.

So anyway.

Will be working on the Knights and 2nd Chariot the next 2 nights, along with the base and some extra details on my 4th character. Then on the weekend is the large warshrine project. Base for it is done, rider is ready to be glued/pinned together, so I just really need to make it's armour, assemble it all, then paint.

Which leaves me with 10 Horsemen and 15 Marauders left...

This post has been edited by Conan B: Jan 14 2010, 12:24 AM
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Jan 14 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 5,217

looks good.

I'd be interested in reading your list.

--------------------
Warhammer 8th Edition Rocks!
+Quote Post
marius
post Jan 14 2010, 10:26 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 169

nice work Conan they look great
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
mikecro
post Jan 14 2010, 10:44 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,103

I used that mammoth in my Kislev army as a steam tank. It's a nice figure and comes up well after adding some paint.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...6&hl=Kislev

--------------------
President of Mikecronesia
Warmachine/Hordes every Monday night in Croydon. PM me if interested

QUOTE(marius @ Jan 20 2014, 04:48 PM) *
Mike isn't a dictator, he is the benevolent El Presidente of the proud state.

QUOTE(Cannonball @ Mar 5 2014, 05:19 PM) *
Man, Mikecronesia haz all the Lolz.

QUOTE(fort1tude @ Feb 6 2014, 01:56 PM) *
faction swap
ENGAGE
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Jan 14 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #15

Good to know!
Plan is to use plasticard to make armour plates down it's trunk/face. Debating making something for it's shoulders.

There will be a marauder riding it holding a banner so it looks like a shrine or something.

It's so huge, so I made it's base raised enough so it ranks up perfectly against enemy troops.
+Quote Post
sious_69
post Jan 14 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 240

Hey Conan,

The army is coming together really nicely, well done. I like seeing the different interpretations of armies that people have. Keep up the good work, I am also trying to get an army together before Dogcon so I know how you feel! The closer it gets the more I am starting to stress. smile.gif

Cheers
Trent

--------------------
My Warmachine Blog at Rankings HQ
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Jan 14 2010, 12:50 PM
Post #17

It's been a long time since I commited myself to painting, but back then it was usually 10-man necromunda gangs and bloodbowl teams!

This is the first time I've sat down with the aim of finishing an entire army. Gotta say it's been a blast! Just a stressfull worrisom blast tongue.gif

Thanks for the compliments as well people, when i started it all i was worried I would have forgotten how to paint minis, but ever since that first test warrior I've been overjoyed with how it's all come together. Lets hope I dont end up ruining the warshrine! wink.gif

I look forward to fielding a complete army painted by myself at DogCon.
+Quote Post
backslide
post Jan 14 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 1,015

love the dragon ogres
+Quote Post
Mr_Roy
post Jan 14 2010, 06:47 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 6,033

Conan, The army's looking great. I really like the natural colour scheme and I love the idea for the disk rider.

Looking forward to seeing the whole army at dogcon.

Roy

--------------------
Waaagh! of the Dead - my undead orcs and goblins army

My chaos ogre army

QUOTE(THRILLHELM @ Oct 15 2013, 11:45 AM) *

New Rule: Every time you refer to Australan ETC player Roy Diprose as anything other than Australian ETC player Roy Diprose you have to drink

+Quote Post
Sithspawn
post Jan 14 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 479

Love it mate, cant wait to see all you guys at DogCon!!

--------------------
Anything but Warhammer (Necromunda, Malifaux, Bloodbowl etc) modelling and painting diary: http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=102580

LOOKING FOR GAMES IN SYDNEY? CHECK OUT INFERNAL MUPPETS
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 11:04 PM