Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [WFB] Sam's Skaven, Sam's Rats - Finished 2,000 points, and my first two events
Eudaimon
post Jan 4 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 6,892

So there are a few threads popping up from our gaming club (based at GG Sydney) doing a Tale of Lots of Gamers as we build a new army from scratch from Jan 1 - June 30.

Perhaps foolishly, I have said i will do Skaven. I like to paint, I take time to paint models and don't go very fast. Skaven are a bad idea. But I have a cunning plan. I will be working towards the list below. Is it good? No. Will it be great to play with / against? Who knows, but it does have a LOW model count (hurrah) which struggles to be made lower (Rat Ogres being the obvious choice) without totally gimping itself (it is already pretty gimped).

So without further ado, here is the list.

2250 Pts - Skaven

Grey Seer
Screaming Bell, The Fellblade

Plague Priest
Level 2 Upgrade, Plague Furnace, Warpforged Blade

Chieftain (Battle Standard Bearer)
Sacred Banner of the Horned Rat

Warlock Engineer
Level 2 Wizard, Doomrocket, Warp-Energy Condenser

20 Skavenslaves x2
Musician, Sling

18 Giant Rats
1×Master Moulder Electro-Whip Poisoned attacks
2xPackmaster

27 Plague Monks
Full CMD, Storm Banner

25 Stormvermin
Full CMD

Hell Pit Abomination

Doomwheel

Total Cost: 2250

This post has been edited by Eudaimon: Nov 29 2010, 09:27 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 4 2010, 08:20 AM
Post #2

So, why do the Tale at all?

Well, everyone likes new armies, and we thought that as a club we could help each other and keep each other motivated to get the army battle worthy if we all did it together. To help with that, the following points chart is being used. Points, ah, lovely points. Everyone loves points, right?

Month 1:
500 points of models assembled – 2 pts
250 points of models painted – 2 pts
Draft 2,250 point army drawn up – 1 pt
Blog started and pictures posted - 1 pt

Month 2:
1,000 points of models assembled – 2 pts
750 points of models painted – 2 pts
Free hand / conversions (excluding basic kit bashing) on your units units / characters – 1 pts per unit, max 2.

Month 3:
1,250 points of models painted – 2 pts (1 pt scored for more than 1000 points)
Modified bases consisting of more than 3 materials (i.e. more than just sand, unercoat and drybrush - resin bases do not auto count for this, but must also have additional work) – 1 pt per unit / character up to a maximum of 3 pts
1,000 pt game played against a fellow Tale gamer -1 pt (only 1 pt may be scored here)
1,000 pt game won against a fellow Tale gamer – 1 pt (only winning the first game played counts for this point)

Month 4:
1,750 points of models painted – 3 pts (1 pt scored for more than 1,500 points)
Unit filler or scenery piece completed – 2 pts
1,000 pt game played against a fellow Tale gamer -1 pt (only 1 pt may be scored here)
1,000 pt game won against a fellow Tale gamer – 1 pt (only winning the first game played counts for this point)

Month 5:
Army “centre piece” model completed – 2 pts (i.e. large monster, warmachine, character etc)
Free hand / conversions (excluding basic kit bashing) on more of your units units / characters than in Month 2 – 1 pts per unit, max 2.
1,500 pt game played against a fellow Tale gamer -1 pt (only 1 pt may be scored here)
1,500 pt game won against a fellow Tale gamer – 1 pt (only winning the first game played counts for this point)

Month 6:
2,250 points of models painted – 2 pts
Movement trays made and painted – 1 pt
2,250 game played against a fellow Tale gamer - 1 pt (only 1 pt may be scored here)
2,250 game won against a fellow Tale gamer – 1 pt (only winning the first game played counts for this point)
Best army blog (as voted for by Tale gamers) – 2 pts

--------------------
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 4 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #3

A bit of fluff about my army, it will be based on a rich warlord clan that operates mining operations in the northern wastes, and is in constant conflict with Daemons. This should give me some scope to get some cool diaramas for unit fillers with Skaven killing off Daemons. Hurrah! Also, it gives me a good excuse to use snow bases. The clan is allied to Clan Skryre, with Clan Pestilens maintaining a foothold in the area whilst they conduct evil experimentations on all things Nurgle.

So... on with the first few pictures. For anyone who is interested, I generally use Vallejo paint.

I wanted to get my army off to a start by getting through some slaves. Now I confess I started these at the end of December, but I am sure given the amount of models I have to do my fellow Tale Gamers won't mind this slight indulgence.

First up, Skavenslaves. I do like the new skavenslave models in the clanrat pack, but they aren't awesome enough for me, and as I don't intend to use clanrat models as clanrats (see later), I figured I'd give 'em a miss. Enter, lots of Flagellants.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I like to undercoat in white, and use a Devlan Mud guidecoat to let me see my models more clearly, like this.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

And here was my test model...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The base is made using a Litko custom cut plywood base, with the addition of GFP stone chippings, sand, undercoated black, drybrushed to look rocky, GF9 grass, Bicarb of Soda mix snow, with a sprinkle of GW snow.

I quite liked the test model, but figured I could get the same look and much faster with a bit of... dip. I have some Wattyl wood varnish (same as Army painter, LOTS cheaper), and so used that to paint the robes. Yes, painting, not actually dipping.

The results can be seen here.

IPB Image

Now they just needed dulling down, and for that, I used Micador Mat picture varnish, that I picked up from Eckersley's.

I knocked up a magnetised base (again from Liko) and ta-da, my first unit of my horde, and not a rat in sight.

IPB Image

C&C or any questions welcome.

This post has been edited by Eudaimon: Nov 2 2015, 01:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nick H
post Jan 4 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,505

Dude these guys are sweet!

TBH I when I was reading this I wasn't too sure how they would turn out, but I am more than sold that they make great slaves. Definately a fan of your work so far, can't wait to see you paint up a Bell AND a Plague Furnace!

Out of interest, are you going to continue the non-rat skaven army theme? I actually think you could probs field a pretty interesting norse army or something if you continue replacing the skaven models with non-skaven man-sized or Ogre-sized equivalents.

Just a thought, either way your army looks unique already.

--------------------
Best Sports Christmas Claws 09
Worst Comp Score Christmas Claws 09
And Last Overall Christmas Claws 09.

Obviously need to play something new, SO follow me as I build a new WOC army!
My Tale Of Many Gamers Army Blog.
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 4 2010, 09:26 AM
Post #5

No, slaves apart, it will be all rats from there on in. I'll try and do something to most units though, to make em slightly different from the norm.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nine Volt Cat
post Jan 4 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 7,749

I'm intimidated by your painting ability and your speed of getting these guys together.
they're looking really nice sam.
I dig the white undercoat with devlan mud, I've been using that on my wood elves.
I don't think I could ever go back to black undercoat after using that.

--------------------
Dogcon 2010 71/152 (Wood Elves)
Pilgrimage 2009 100/106 (High Elves)

Tale Of Four Gamers - Ogre Kingdoms Jan- July 2010
+Quote Post
seanzala
post Jan 4 2010, 10:15 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,778

Sam mate, those Slavellants look really really cool.

And I promise I WILL remember to give you those arms at some point! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 4 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #8

And 3 good things happened today...

I got a LOAD more rats. Lots of em.

I finsihed painting and basing 5 slaves.

I finished painting and basing the last 5 slaves for now.

So, without further ado, here is the finished second unit of slaves. Eagle eyed people will not they have red tabards rather than green, just for unit marking purposes.

IPB Image

--------------------
+Quote Post
Nine Volt Cat
post Jan 4 2010, 06:34 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,749

40 models in less than 4 days, and all painted better than anything i've ever done.
at this rate your skaven army will be ready by the weekend.

This post has been edited by Nine Volt Cat: Jan 4 2010, 06:35 PM

--------------------
Dogcon 2010 71/152 (Wood Elves)
Pilgrimage 2009 100/106 (High Elves)

Tale Of Four Gamers - Ogre Kingdoms Jan- July 2010
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 4 2010, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Sadly not, as I can't do any more work on them for 2 weeks. Which means I will struggle to get the points done for the monthly requirements!

--------------------
+Quote Post
That Guy
post Jan 4 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,879

Looking veeeery pretty Sam! When I get home I'll post up some pics of my rats and we can compare. If you've got the time for a game or even a chat at some stage leading up to dogcon, I'd be very keen to chat devlan mud/dip/those movement trays. I don't have any sorted for my rats and I've been trying to get that sorted.

Keep up the good work! I'm keen to see actual rats now, not flaggies! smile.gif

--------------------

QUOTE(Saviour @ Feb 21 2010, 06:39 PM)
I'm a massive douche

Active member of the Infernal Muppets, supposedly
+Quote Post
Jimbo81
post Jan 5 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #12

On Parole

Member No.: 5,217

that guidecoat idea is gold! The "slaves" look awesome too.

also:

is that GW product for the snow / basing.

How did you get that effect?

This post has been edited by Jimbo81: Jan 5 2010, 07:59 AM

--------------------
9th Age Orc
+Quote Post
gelf
post Jan 5 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,768

Bicarb of Soda mix snow, with a sprinkle of GW snow.

+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 9 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #14

To be precise on the snow, the mix is bicarb of soda, a drop of water (and i mean a small drop) a few drops of PVA glue and a few drops of white paint (Vallejo, as mentioned in the thread). I mix it up in a small pot so that it is the consistency of a really thick cream or gravy. Then I dollop it on and spread it so it is slightly thicker in places and thinner in others.

Once the mix is on the base / tray, I sprinkle some GW snow effect over it immediately, then blow off the excess snow.

The effect looks best on the movement trays as there is lots of different height stones for the mixture to flow around, and the colours of the rocks have a better contrast, so it looks more natural. It isn't quite as effective on the relatively flat bases, but taken together it looks OK.

The rock is black undercoat, then progressive Earth colour, dark gray, light gray overbrush / drybrush.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 18 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #15

OK, so being away with work has really slowed me down, but excitement abounds and I have spent the night doing some modelling for my next unit, the Plague monks, so without further ado, here are some piccies!

First up, I want to build this army to last, and to do lots of wacky stuff with it. To do that, I brought in the heavy reinforcements, a brand new Dremel! The attachment shown is a small bristle brush, ideal for getting rid of mould lines on plastic!

IPB Image

I put the rank n file together normally, but decided to go to town a little bit with the command group. First up was the standard bearer. I didn't want an ordinary banner top, and decided to use a fiery brazier, fresh from my Slavellants! A bit of a vice, a bit of a Dremel, and voila, firey brazier top (also pinned using the Dremel drill attachment - is there nothing it can't do?).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Next up was the musician, much more simple this chap, just the basic model, with as many bells on as I could find, again, the slavellant sprues came in handy, and again the Dremel made putting a protective pin easy as pie.

IPB Image

Last but not least was the champion. I wanted to get some real height into the model, to stop him being over looked by the musician and banner bearer. To that end, I reckoned on a back banner. I love the new japanese-esque of the new Skaven minis, and backbanners will be a feature of the my army. So, once again with the help of the Dremel to drill some holes, here is the Plague Monk Champion.

IPB Image

Thats it for now, need to start painting these boys up before the end of the month, hmm, that aint happening....

This post has been edited by Eudaimon: Jan 18 2010, 10:12 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Conan B
post Jan 18 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 7,838

You know I don't envy you in the slightest. I'm already sick of doing 15 marauders. Skaven would drive me insane!

Conversions look awesome however.
+Quote Post
N.I.C.K
post Jan 18 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 5,981

Too much time at work! Whinging already about being promoted mate haha.

Looks stunning, can't wait to see these guys in the flesh.

Nick

--------------------
QUOTE(Ehsteve @ Apr 9 2015, 01:56 PM) *

I have seen that word (fued, fu'ed, and all variants therein) many times in the past few months...what does it mean?

Adjective; Fued: The art of being inherently awesome, having excessive amounts of swag and generally giving zero farks.

Active member of the Infernal Muppets Gaming Club | Tweet @lecopoutking
+Quote Post
seanzala
post Jan 18 2010, 11:43 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,778

I loves my Dremel. I'm sure you'll learn to love your Dremel as well if you don't already.
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 31 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #19

Right, so its the end of the month, but before my end of month pics, a slight demonstration of a wet palette. I've been speaking to a few people down at the club about the wonders of a wet palette, and a few people have asked if I can show people exactly what I mean, so without further ado, here is how to make a free wet palette.

First of all, take an old takeaway container, like this one.

IPB Image

Next fold up and put a sheet of paper towel into it.

IPB Image

Cut a piece of Gladbake (or similar) to fit.

IPB Image

Run the container and the paper towel (not the Gladbake) under water, so that the towel is well soaked.

IPB Image

Pour off almost almost all the water, you can leave a little bit if you want to, and put the Gladbake in the container. Voila! Instant wet palette.

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Eudaimon: Feb 1 2010, 10:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Eudaimon
post Jan 31 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #20

And now the final models for the month. So, having started the Plague Monks, I rat-tled through them (ho-ho!) to get all but the command group done. That is 24 Plague Monks, which taken with the 40 slaves, puts me over the 250 points painted mark. Hurrah!

Here is a quick sample of one of the little fellas. I wanted to be murky, but still as bright as I could. I think that a white undercoat really helps with that. Also, I wanted to make the wood on the staff look decayed, so I did it a mouldy green colour (using Game Colour Cayman Green). Whilst it works, I am not sure it provides a good enough contrast with the robes, but its not like brown would have contrasted much better!

IPB Image

IPB Image

The last thing I had to do after painting them all, was make 24 bases, and stick em altogether.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

So, having done that, there wasn't much chance of me building something big for the extra 250 build points, so like many of my Tale colleagues, I am copping out and calling in my characters. Behold, an assassin and a Grey Seer!

IPB Image

Phew, and thats it for now! Next month, finishing off the command group, a Doomwheel, and probably a Doomflayer.

--------------------
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2017 - 06:44 AM