3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> WGoL does LOTR WOTR, More Acronyms than you can handle
Asher
post Apr 21 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,860

So, by a not entirely co-incidental coincidence, a bunch of us WGoL boys have all started, or to be more accurate, restarted Lord of the Rings.

Everyone has some LOTR stuff kicking around somewhere, you know, from when you were 13 and the films had just come out, so it didn't take much persuading to get me going again. So, without further ado, the participants and their armies.

Me aka "Asher" - MORIA
I'm doing Moria for one reason: The Balrog. I've had one sitting around for ages and the fact that it's stupid expensive points means I don't have *that* many goblins to paint to get a decent sized army going. My current aim is to paint everything I have to get a 1000 army going, then expand it out to 1500, then add 500 odd points of Angmar as allies. That is assuming I don't go mad after the first 72 Goblins and bludgeon myself to death with my hardcover copy of the Lord of the Rings.

The army:
IPB Image
This is the army as it currently stands. It comes to a bit over 1000 points. As you see, most of it is currently painted to some degree. Let's take a closer look!

IPB ImageIPB Image
A Goblin. This was the prototype mini. I can bang one out in 10 minutes, not allowing for the time for the generous serving of Devlan Mud to dry. I have Cygnar and Tyranids to paint as well, so getting these guys painted quickly and efficiently was a top priority.

IPB Image
So far I've painted a whopping two and a captain who took a little longer.

IPB Image
And the rest. On the left you can see a goblin painted by Asher aged 13 and 3/4, before I actually had any painting talent. They'll need a lot of work to make them look acceptable. On the right is a Goblin painted by Cam. This is a lot nicer and only needs rebasing and a bit of touching up to bring it in line with the current scheme.

IPB Image
I'm painting up the rest of the characters at the moment.

IPB Image
I also have the Witch king, courtesy of Cam again.

For the Emperor! aka "Cam" - Goddamn Hippy Elves
Cam is doing all elves and stuff. They're shiny and gold and look sexy. He should post pictures and stuff that I can edit in here.

FatDamien aka "Damien" - Grima Wormtongue & entourage
You probably already know of Damien's work, so you already know about how sexy it is. He has a liking of Grima Wormtongue which is bordering on the unhealthy. If he could, he would take an army consisting entirely of Wormtongues. As it is, his army consists of Wormtongue, that magic bloke with the stick, the angry bloke and a bunch of other dudes who aren't really important. If he ******* about not having a camera, I have one he can borrow.

--------------------
Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)

"Leapin' and Hoppin' on a Warpshadow" - Mah Nids
The Swordwind Rises! - Biel Tan. All Aspects. All the time.
"Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
FatDamien
post Apr 21 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,093

Acknowledged!
Considering mounting Grima on either Shelob or flying Nazgul for great justice. It's my hobby and I'll do what I like! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Tolkien!
For reals thought I'm doing an Isenguard force, not exactly a Helms Deep army, more like a westfold/hobbit-snatching force. Pics one day.TODAY!
The host, currently nicknamed the White Fist, in all it's glory:
IPB Image
Grima, armed w. Eowyn's underwear:
IPB Image

This post has been edited by FatDamien: Apr 21 2010, 03:43 PM

--------------------
War Gamers of LaTrobe
"Get your geek on."

+Quote Post
Rojo
post Apr 21 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,411

Does Eowyn's underwear give Wormtongue super-powers? I have an Eowyn on foot that your Wormtongue can lust after and I am proud to admit that it's the only LOTR model I have, so you won't be dragging me into this debacle. Also, you guys need more acronyms. Are you kids giving yourselves deadlines or is just post as you go?

--------------------
WGoL TO THE FACE!@!!@!@

I play wardollies when I'm not working on my guns.

It's not easy being green...
+Quote Post
For the Emperor!
post Apr 21 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6,386

looking good guys! I shall definately post tomorro-complete with images! Just need to ask to borrow a camera from a family member. This group project should be fun! Hippie elves, wannabe orcs, and those big angry guys bearing the white hand of grima, led by the said underwear sniffer!

--------------------
Wgol! War Gamers of La Trobe! Yeah!

Vampire Counts by Moonlight Modelling Diary
+Quote Post
FatDamien
post Apr 21 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,093

Diary update: I broke 3 pikemen while packing them away. Awesome start!

--------------------
War Gamers of LaTrobe
"Get your geek on."

+Quote Post
Lives Irae
post Apr 22 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #6

Arbitrator of lulz

Member No.: 3,277

Some nice stuff so far.

What is this game like anyway, how does it compare to Fantasy?

--------------------
something something something
+Quote Post
Castigo
post Apr 22 2010, 12:42 AM
Post #7

Hobby Olaf
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 206

Awesome to see a club take a step into LoTR and WoTR in melbourne! keep it up guys, GW camberwell is going to be running some WoTR events later this year, im currently working on a Harad army with 2 Mumaks! :s might make a modelling diary of it soon.

Good stuff!

Cheers

--------------------
'Those pricks are like sharks teeth, knock one out 3 more appear!' Ry

Current projects:

Word bearers
Crimson fists
Orks
Imperial Guard

Comission work.....Facebook: Skullworks painting

2014 Leaderboard... *fart*

Facebook: Troll1bases
+Quote Post
Asher
post Apr 22 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Dies Irae @ Apr 22 2010, 12:33 AM) *

Some nice stuff so far.

What is this game like anyway, how does it compare to Fantasy?

Well, we haven't really played much. I do hear it's good though. it seems to have been a testbed for a lot of the changes made in 8th ed fantasy. It'll be interesting to see how it plays.

Well, I've been a busy boy since yesterday, I finished off a company of Goblins, finished the Shaman and painted his royal fatness, Durburz, the Goblin King of Moria.

IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image

Haven't gone crazy yet.

This post has been edited by Asher: Apr 22 2010, 12:04 PM

--------------------
Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)

"Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
+Quote Post
EmpireGuard
post Apr 22 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,304

QUOTE(FatDamien @ Apr 21 2010, 11:33 PM) *

Diary update: I broke 3 pikemen while packing them away. Awesome start!

LOL funniest update ever.

Looks good so far and here I thought LotR was just a space filler for GW stores when thy had no WFB or 40K. I didn't know it was a game tongue.gif

--------------------
Imperial Zoo at Altdorf

Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.
+Quote Post
Reuben
post Apr 22 2010, 05:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 6,919

Andy Theobold and I will be rocking some WotR. I will bring both a Mumak and a flying ringwraith, under the belief that if it can't be done with a stomping elephant, a flying dinosaur should do the job. These are two subtle principles I always apply to my life. In any arena.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Asher
post Apr 22 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #11

Sweet! Glad to see you two on board!

Oh and Ro, setting deadlines would assume we had inclination or ability to stick to them. So no.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Din
post Apr 22 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,755

@ Asher - that Goblin King looks the goods.

I'll be interested to follow this one. I've got a cr@pload of Mordor figures (the metal Orc ones from the Fellowship release) that I've been trying to motivate myself to paint. This might inspire me... but I am pretty lazy.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Onyx
post Apr 22 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,787

Good onya fellas. Always enjoy seeing LotR/WotR minis getting painted well (and hopefully used).

--------------------
+Quote Post
Asher
post Apr 23 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #14

Thanks for the feedback guys! biggrin.gif.

I'm about to head off for a couple of days away, so hopefully the rest of the crew will step up and post some pictures.

--------------------

+Quote Post
For the Emperor!
post Apr 23 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 6,386

Okay guys so here Is my first post for this modelling Diary. As Asher mentioned I'm doin High Elves with a small contingent of Lothlorien Elves. I'm trying to go for a 'Last Alliance' look. Most of My models thus far are at various stages of painting- some have been bought/acquired by trades and thus, have different work done to them. Thus far I've almost completed 2 companies. So anyway Here are the pics (apologise for the size as I can't be bothered stuffing around with resizing)

Whole army to date:

IPB Image

Heroes:

IPB Image

Two Companies of High Elves almost fully painted: (just bases and faces need some work)

IPB Image

Almost finished High Elf (Single model):

IPB Image

Lothlorien elves that are at various stages of painting:

IPB Image

Some other High elves in need of some love (painting and touchups.) (models courtesy of Asher) Asher did some really nice conversions on some of these in his earlier years...all I really need to do as apply some more shading and highlights

IPB Image

That's it for now smile.gif

The High elves

--------------------
Wgol! War Gamers of La Trobe! Yeah!

Vampire Counts by Moonlight Modelling Diary
+Quote Post
Reuben
post Apr 23 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #16

Am I the only one who doesn't care how my Army fits into the canon? I have to admit, I don't really like the Lord of the Rings story much - I just like heffalumps and monsters.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Asher
post Apr 26 2010, 09:37 PM
Post #17

Those are looking good Cam! Glad to see you're getting some use out of my old elves.

Reuben, I don't think canon is really that important. I mean Rohan can take the first king of the Rohirrim in the same army as the book characters. I know I want to add the Witchking (on fellbeast) and a bunch of Ghostly legions to my Moria Army as allies, despite the fact that it makes as much sense as a fish on a unicycle.

Well, I've started painting up another couple of companies of Goblins and started touching up the Balrog, as well as seeing what level of attention is required to bring 13 year old me's painting up to standard. The answer is lots of Devlan mud.

On the downside I broke my camera on holiday, so no pics. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Waggerz
post Apr 28 2010, 01:03 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 6,354

All I have to say is 'eeeewewwwwwwww LOTR sad.gif'

Get back to painting tyranids you hippy!

--------------------
If a tech priest goes to ground against telsa weapons, does he take no damage?

40K Arbites Army (current) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132589
40K Praetorian Guard (on hold) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116546
Alpha Legion (complete) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71055
Tables from Trash - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130746
+Quote Post
Reuben
post Apr 28 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #19

I've got nothing but a camera phone, or I'd put my emerging army on as well... armata_PDT_04.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Reuben
post Apr 28 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #20

...Re: Actually playing, me and andy played a game on Friday. My Heffalump showed what a great stomping warbeast could do, though it seems somewhat vulnerable to Cav charges. My Fellbeast looped back behind the large block of nigh-on indestructable Minas Tirith warriors. They got slowly chewed by the repeated attacks. It went the full 8 turns in the end though.
There was a lot of movement - it was entirely possible reach the rear of units. Some of the rules need a giant dose of Clarificado (for example, the rules for Cavalry Charges seem a little strange) but it works, by and large. I think me and Andy covered almost every weird situation in the game in our initial game.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 05:48 PM