Still got the Alt-Verse idea in my head (not as a hobby project this time!). I thought I'd share some stuff I've come up with. First, some refreshers:
- the Emperor is alive, well into M41 and beyond (making him over 40000 years old now LOL)
- no Primarchs have turned to Chaos (Lorgar included, and especially Horus)
- there is no Echlessiarchy because the Emperor is alive and Imperial Truth remains strong
- mankind is on its way (albeit a slow and cautious one) to a new Golden Age
- Magnus sits on the Golden Throne, protecting the now-functioning Imperial Webway from harm
- As a result of the above, combined with technological progression, mankind has almost discontinued Warp travel entirely!
Now for some new stuff I've come up with in the past few weeks:
- Perturabo is injured in a big battle (precise date unknown, but certain to be after the Siege of Terra) and is interred in an experimental battlesuit. It is essentially a Dreadknight with the life-support capabilities of a Dreadnought. Combined with his "obliterator" technology, allowing him to change weapons at will, Perturabo still leads his Iron Warriors to victory!
- Fabius Bile still goes rogue, and still does not directly ally with Chaos (although, as in canon, he does deal with them on occassion). He has, however, been manufacturing his own experiments which are to become his genetic army. However his greatest project is far more sinister. He hopes to obtain samples of a Necron and a Tyranid, so he can combine them into the "ultimate lifeform", and use them to dominate the galaxy. The self-styled "Progenitor" is a high-tier threat to mankind's continued security!
- As with new Necron fluff, the Necrons in Alt-Verse also "awaken" from their C'Tan control, and actually succeed in destroying the Nightbringer (in other words, it is NEVER coming back!), although they fail to destroy the Deceiver (no surprise there). Liberated but still retaining their eon-old hatred for life, the original goal of the Necrontyr remains to this day - destroy the Old Ones and all things created by them!
- After the Emperor subdues the rogue Mechanicus on Mars with the help of a defecting agent (Delphan Gruss), the Void Dragon awakens from its prison on the red planet. Fortunately, it is still rather weak, and decides to flee rather than risk destruction. It phases out itself, the prison, most of its most-loyal Mechanicus followers, and a chunk of the planet. Where they went to is unknown even to the Emperor, but what is known by many is that they will return in time. Out in space, the Void Dragon rebuilds an army that nothing and no one in the galaxy will be able to defeat.
- After the Fall of Chaos campaign (which saw the Imperium ally with many a xenos against Chaos), the Eye of Terror is now sealed shut and can never be re-opened (even if the pylons on Cadia are blown to bits, it won't make a lick of difference). Chaos is even more crippled than it was after the failed Siege of Terra, and although still a mild threat, it is not as high on the concern list as certain other threats in the galaxy are.
- Spear, the Black Culexus (in reality, a Necron sleeper loyal to the C'Tan) at some point comes face-to-face with the Doom of Malantai. The ultimate in psychic power clashes with the ultimate in nullifying darkness. Their battle is immense, and is felt by every sentinent race for many light years around. The outcome is uncertain, because nothing can get close enough to view the battle, and the sheer output of energy from both combatants prevents remote viewing of any kind.
- Prior to the above, Spear also comes into contact with Prospero. Although the powerful magisters of the planet eventually repel the Black Culexus, their victory came with a cost - the lives of a few thousand Psykers. This became a dark day known as the "Prospero Massacre". Ahriman, the Legion Commander of the Thousand Sons, vowed that Spear would be destroyed for the murderous rampage it commited.
- New organisations are formed in Alt-Verse, such as the Adeptus Athestica (a pro-science counterpart to the Echlessiarchy minus the over-zealous nature), the Adeptus Scientifica (replaces the Mechanicus after the Mars-Terra War) and the Adeptus Investigatus (Alt-Verse counterpart to the Inquisition, again minus the zealous nature).
- Mankind still does not entirely trust xenos, although the Emperor does have an ally in Eldrad Ulthran. This idea was borrowed from Starcraft 2, where Raynor and Zeratul (a Human and a Protoss) are friends of sorts. Also, through Eldrad, Malcador becomes mankind's very first Farseer.
So, any questions/comments?? Bring it on!!