QUOTE(mightymouse @ May 11 2012, 05:10 PM)
I have heard hexwraiths in units of 10 are good. I am not so sure. So which is better over 6 games vs random opponents in a tournament??
10 black knights with full command, barding, lances etc and eternal flame banner 300 points
10 hexwratihs with champion 310 points
Please list any pros n cons below.
* Barded Skeletal Steed, Heavy Armour, Shield = 2+ Armour save
This is wicked, apart from kitted characters, this unit has the best armour save in the Vampire Counts army.
* Toughness 4 makes them even more resiliant, clearly they are the better bunker for cavalry characters.
* Lance/Killing Blow
Great striking power on the charge with a lance, and the threat of st4 killing blow makes them scary in subsequent combat rounds
* Swiftstride makes for an awesome threat range
* With full kit (lance/barding) a Black Knight comes in 4 points cheaper then a Hexwraith
* Ability to raise back multiple models at one time, as opposed to hexwraiths who carry the ethereal special rule, limiting the amount they come back by
* Better leadership for crumble (heaven forbid
* Can take full command and magic banners!
* Do not suffer movement penalties for bardingCon
*Black Knights lose the ethereal steeds ability if a character joins them (excluding Wight King as he can buy a skeletal steed to maintain ethereal).Hexwraiths
* Vanguard provides great tactical options early in the game and a more forgiving deployment phase
* Spectral Hunters grants them St5 magical flaming attacks with NO armour save just for passing through an enemy with no threat of loss to your own unit (if they had magic weapons or high static resoloution)..... wicked
* They cause terrorCon
* They are each 4 points more then a Black Knight
* They have a 6+ armour save for protection beyond etheral so will die in droves against magic missile/weapons.
* Lower leadership means they go *poof* alot easier
Anyways that's all I can think to compare them by off the top of my head, not that I have run Vamps in a while, and as freaking cool as Hexwraiths are, I think the black knight unit wins my pick.
Better yet, take both!