Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bray park 40k tournie
WargamerAU Forums > Wargaming Clubs Australia and NZ > QLD > Bray Park Alliance
Icedragon
pre-info only Details to be confirmed after 6th of september.

designed for jr players
Armie size Approx 900pts
approx date 2nd or 3rd of october (last week end of the school holidays)
scenario's will be give out after after list has been recieved

every thing not in concrete yet.
This is just to give a heads up only....of what we are planning so you are prepared to join us. so you have time to prepare.
maybe cost about $10- $15 or $20 depends on how many/ what prizes are involved. how many tickets are availible, if we includes meals etc.
The Witchking
is this open to all players or just the juniors?

i can see it says its 'designed' for juniors.. maybe if you let us Vets in we could still get them in the draw with Overlord for first and second round.. but use it more of a teaching game?

i'm sure the older ones of us would know not to wipe the floor with them like a 'meany'.. but rather to do it whilst being educating.
Icedragon
QUOTE(The Witchking @ Aug 10 2010, 08:57 PM) *

is this open to all players or just the juniors?

i can see it says its 'designed' for juniors.. maybe if you let us Vets in we could still get them in the draw with Overlord for first and second round.. but use it more of a teaching game?

i'm sure the older ones of us would know not to wipe the floor with them like a 'meany'.. but rather to do it whilst being educating.

Bray Park's normal juniors rules, (anyone)
The Witchking
QUOTE(Icedragon @ Aug 11 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Bray Park's normal juniors rules, (anyone)

Huh? This confuses me. Who will be entering this tournament?
Icedragon
QUOTE(The Witchking @ Aug 11 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Huh? This confuses me. Who will be entering this tournament?

yes anyone can join.

but I think I may have to put a age limit who can get prizes. what do you think?
The Witchking
why restrict the players who can play/compete? Do you think the kids really care about winning prizes or would they rather a fun day of games?

I dont think prizes are even necessary. just charge a $5 entry to cover food and have a normal tournament, opening up for all players. if an experienced gamer draws a newbie in Overlord.. play a normal game, trying to win.. but at least explain your moves etc.

anyway, i'm more involved than i want to be already. its your tournament, you do what you like. i never said i'd run anything either.
MikeB
I think to have a comp for the whole club would be very hard to pull off, especially with the different abilities of the junior players.

I think running a comp day for juniors is an excellent idea. It would get them of the 4 players on a 4X4 board thing they all seem to do, but you would need a referee at each table to make sure the play is even.

In summary:
#Club comp for junior players (under 14 year olds)
#Prizes. I think you need prizes, but nothing flash. Cheap trophies for 1, 2 & 3 and a participation trinket for everyone else.
#900 points
#Referee at every table
#Winners from one round play winners from next (should even the abilities).
#3 rounds in one afternoon
#fixed scenarios for each round

Now the seniors.
I don't think you would get a good comp done in 1 afternoon.
My idea:
#1500 points. Fixed list pre-submitted, no changing between rounds.
# 4 rounds over 2 meets (2 games per meeting)
# Juniors judge best painted/presented beginning of round 3. Maybe a vote system.
#Battle points and painting decide the winner. No sports and comp (try and be friendly, we meet every month)
#No prizes just one shield trophy, winner engraved on for that year.
The Witchking
QUOTE(MikeB @ Aug 12 2010, 08:22 AM) *

Now the seniors.
I don't think you would get a good comp done in 1 afternoon.
My idea:
#1500 points. Fixed list pre-submitted, no changing between rounds.
# 4 rounds over 2 meets (2 games per meeting)
# Juniors judge best painted/presented beginning of round 3. Maybe a vote system.
#Battle points and painting decide the winner. No sports and comp (try and be friendly, we meet every month)
#No prizes just one shield trophy, winner engraved on for that year.

Hey man,

i've tried to construct this sentance 20 times, but it always sounds mean, so just take it without insult! laugh.gif

Have you been to, played in or studied any proper tournament formats for battle points, win margins.. judging, comp etc?

I've been to #### loads, and i have to say that while the ideas you have are good, there are better established ideas already unsure.gif

sorry to just shut you down, but if the club is running a tournament for veteran players, it needs to be done right.

Getting the kids to mark painting.. geez, where to start. they cant paint their own models well, so they wouldnt even *recognize* techniques such as highlights, blending, wet blending, free hand.. or even 'cheat' techniques like army sprays, dips, washes or dry brushing.

Comp will be an issue still - you cant NOT factor that in. for the kids, yeah dont worry about it. most lists we'll see are a bit 'wtf??'.

Sports we can ignore, i agree. most players are nice enough guys, and if theres an issue, i dont think we'd have a problem with voicing our opinion to the TO for a red flag system. (basically if a player is unruly they get a yellow flag.. if they recieve two they are disqualified. personal judgement should be enough so its not unjustified penalties).

The biggest problems i see is people marking comp accurately, so i suggest using Panel Comp. if you're not familiar with it, lists are submitted by a certain date (late lists get automatic 0) and a panel of 3 or 4 experienced players mark each list using a set criteria. this is opposed to 'peer comp' which uses the same criteria, but marks by the opponent pre game. this could be problematic, as most players would run into units that theyve never seen, and are un aware of powerful combinations.

The other problem i can see is missions and who runs the tournament. it so happens that when i WAS in the council, i'd finished a players pack, so its all ready to go. I dont mind running it as a one off, but i'd prefer to have 5 games rather than 4.. over one weekend. (ie.. 3 games Saturday, 2 Sunday starting after the church is gone). games are not simply a 'win' or a 'loss' there are different win margins, secondary objectives and obviously different missions will dictate those margins.

logistics can be worked out later i guess, but theres a lot to be worked on. running a tournament is not an easy task. i've run two for BPA before, and its a lot of work and requires a lot of cooperation! I'm hesitant of running this one, because i'm not sure it will be worth the effort in terms of success and.. frustration.
MikeB
Dave

I've never been to a tournament.

I'm only new to BPA but see a core of maybe 8 core players who attend monthly without fail and all have different playing abilities.

I see a small informal comp as a good way to mix up the normal player match ups that are occurring every month. A way to meet and play new people within the club I guess.

I may of misinterpreted Jason's origin post. I thought he meant a small club only tournament. Is he thinking of advertising widely and having many attend?
The Witchking
no, i dont think so. it will be a club thing. a big issue is that a lot of people have different skill levels, so it will still divide the players into 'normal' cliques.. as similar skilled players tend to play against each other already.

a way to counter that is to have a non-seeded comp, where players are randomly paired.. but again, this will result in some pretty one sided match ups.

to counter this.. or maybe even enhance.. the more skilled players can use this as a tutorial as to why you're making certain moves, etc. just bettering the knowledge of the other player.
Icedragon
Thanks dave that was a great answer to my thoughts.

And also the long reason for the heads up with

But the post was really just advertize that there will be a 40k comp at braypark alliance. So people will not. Go "what tourament if I had of known I would of come." packs etc wont be ready until after next months meeting which will give you this time to prepare. for about a 900pt armie. and we are thinking that size will take 2hr' per game(I hope? I'm guessing) with rule checking and younger people patients.
The Witchking
yeah thats a great point. 2 hour games will be enough to finish games, but still work at a slow enough pace that players dont get lost.

the experienced players can move quickly already, so it will work out fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.