Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Objective Requirements
WargamerAU Forums > Tournaments and Conventions > VIC tournaments and conventions > ][con
Blade_of_Apollo
I saw a thread over in 40K general and thought I'd check to see which tournament was the one in question.

http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105637

1 x 60mm;
2 x 40mm based objectives;
1 x Model on the same size base as your army commander;
1 x An additional model of a similar size to a basic troop transport for your
army. e.g a rhino for Spacemarines, Chimera for guard, Nids make something
up use a Monstrous creature or similar etc

This seems a bit ridiculous. Each team needs to provide another 2 rhinos, devilfish etc? I mean, really? REALLY?

Is it possible for the missions to run without this requirement?

Edit: Just saw this bit...

Q7 Objectives - Are all your objectives creative? Have they been converted to fit the
theme of your army? If they are plain objectives then you will score 0. We are
looking for objectives that stand out as being themed to your army.
Yes = 2
No = 0

Are people starting to obsess a little too much over objectives?
Lives Irae
The other one is your dual tyranid team having to bring an extra four monstrous creatures between them.
Blade_of_Apollo
QUOTE(Dies Irae @ Nov 3 2010, 09:49 PM) *

The other one is your dual tyranid team having to bring an extra four monstrous creatures between them.

Ouch.
fort1tude
in answer to your question.

no its not possible for the mission to run.

also.

Be creative with your large rhino sized objective.

The mission is pretty cool
Comrade
Can I use an old rhino for my Guard if it's themed? ie. Victorious soldier standing astride the burning wreckage?
cmdr_roy
Only if its actually on fire.
Comrade
If you can rediscover the formula for greek fire. Then it's on!
cmdr_roy
Line the destroyed vehicle with aluminium foil, fill with metho, get the lights turned off, celebrate.
bearstrangler
Hi Guys

In essence, the player pack is really only asking for something that most of you have for your armies anyway, in 888 points are you really bringing all your monstrous creatures for your Tryanid or Daemon army. The player pack only stipulates a model of the base size, so stick a ripper on a 60mm base and you are themed and done, for your vehicle objective the same concept applies. Use a valkyrie, land raider or any other spare vehicle/monstrous creature that you can't squeeze into 888 points.
I generally would think that of most tournament goers collections they would have generally have on average 1500points to squeeze these requirements from without any real additional work.

If that fails you cut something out of card board of the correct size and cop the 2 point hit, seriously if that loses you ][con you possibly haven't got the "come and have a good time attitude" that we are really looking for anyway.

Please direct any serious criticisms too me directly, starting a thread in general discussion is seriously cool but the player pack is the player pack it was considered by the ][con crew and deemed reasonable considering the points limit.

At the end of the day. You are ranting about 2 models you probably already own after deducting 888 from 1500, 1200 or even 1000.

Cheers

Ross

Lives Irae
QUOTE(bearstrangler @ Nov 7 2010, 10:38 PM) *

At the end of the day. You are ranting about 2 models you probably already own after deducting 888 from 1500, 1200 or even 1000.

That is a valid point as most of us already have larger armies. I would have liked the opportunity to bring my 888 point army to the 888 point tournament however, instead of bringing my 1200 point army to the 888 point tournament.

It won't affect me as I have the models I need anyway. I know a couple of people who are going to scramble to find some nicely themed objectives. "taking the 2 point hit" is all well and good but a lot of people don't like to
1. just rock up with cardboard
2. lose points before the tournament begins

because it isn't satisfying.

By putting the points for it in the player pack people feel like it's required, and there are many people who want to take completely finished armies who will feel required to model up objectives just to make everything about their army consistent.
Lives Irae
Of course, this is the guy who brought finger painted tanks to terracon two years in a row. so it's not something I'm too concerned about.
craggles
I think its pretty disappointing that people will sign up for a tournament, pay their money to attend the tournament, then 2 months after the player pack is released either hear about or read the requirements for the event and all of a sudden start to complain about either it not being to their liking or having to "scramble" to make/get suitable models two weeks before the tournament.
Dies Irae I can see you are trying to keep things in perspective and see the points of view from both sides, this is not at you. I just find this sort of attitude disappointing after reading this thread and the one in general discussion.
Before people say that I'm good mates with the TO and just siding with him, well I am good mates with him, but if you read what I have wrote that doesn't have the slightest thing to do with it, and would apply to any tournament.
Grey
I should probably say something now, since I started the original thread over in general discussion.

I didn't name ][con, but did detail the objective requirements. Anyway, I didn't start that thread to diss on this tournament. The thread was started more as a general sook about how every event seems to have a new objective requirement, meaning everytime I sign up for a tournament I then have to make some nice new themed objective to go with my army, only to have it not be required for the next event, which will want something different. My original suggestion was for TO's to agree on a max number & size of objectives that could reasonably be expected, so that people could incorporate that into their plans when making an army.

I will be going with plastic dinosaurs for my monstrous creature sized objectives. That's not about laziness or ignorance. I read the player pack the day it was available, and have been busy preparing the other objectives. I simply don't have the cash right now to buy another 2 greater daemons just for this tournament, nor the time to paint them, or to scratch-build an alternative. I have a 3 month old son and other real life responsibilities. I'm lucky I have the money and time to come to ][con at all.

Craggles - sorry if that attitude dissapoints you.
tsz_loy
I THINK THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER AND IT'S ALL BRENTON'S FAULT BECAUSE OF HIS INCURABLE "BADAT40K"
Mike the Donkey
This is a very confusing objective thing. I'm painting up an almost entirely new army from unpainted models I owned and this adds another Trukk I have to paint, given this is also exam period and I'm being freshly promoted I didn't factor in this amount of painting.

What you want for the objective itself is also confusing. Can it be 'anything' the same sized? Does it just have to be the same base size or does it have to block lines of sight? Is it going to be an objective or will it have an in game use? Will it have to move in game, meaning a bunker or shack might be inappropriate? These might be handy to know.
Blade_of_Apollo
QUOTE(craggles @ Nov 9 2010, 07:08 PM) *

I think its pretty disappointing that people will sign up for a tournament, pay their money to attend the tournament, then 2 months after the player pack is released either hear about or read the requirements for the event and all of a sudden start to complain about either it not being to their liking or having to "scramble" to make/get suitable models two weeks before the tournament.

Sorry to disappoint Craig, but if we can't voice concerns...? Brenton/Ross made their call, no worries, that's how it will play and I'll probably be there for the 5th year in a row or whatever it is for me.

Notice I never complained about it not being to my liking or having to "scramble", just that I think it's a big ask for a small "fun" tournament to have cohesive basing, display board, rhino objective requirements.
Blade_of_Apollo
QUOTE(bearstrangler @ Nov 7 2010, 11:38 PM) *

If that fails you cut something out of card board of the correct size and cop the 2 point hit, seriously if that loses you ][con you possibly haven't got the "come and have a good time attitude" that we are really looking for anyway.

Ouch. For me it's more of a "I don't want to be the guy with cardboard objectives thing".
Assaultguardsman
I build new armies for the following season starting with Icon because of the smaller points size. I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect players to just have these materials on hand and design the tournament around that. As with the others, I don't want to be the guy with the cardboard objectives when the rest of the army gets so much attention.

I also think it's pretty poor form to not make criticisms public.
Voodon't
so it's one per player - so two for the 1776 points, right?

also - can i use a baneblade for the transport objective marker?
Mike the Donkey
Can I use a haunted forest?
Durkah
QUOTE(Assaultguardsman @ Nov 13 2010, 12:43 PM) *

I build new armies for the following season starting with Icon because of the smaller points size. I think it's pretty ridiculous to expect players to just have these materials on hand and design the tournament around that. As with the others, I don't want to be the guy with the cardboard objectives when the rest of the army gets so much attention.

I also think it's pretty poor form to not make criticisms public.

Cardboard, + spare tank parts. maybe another piece of carboard/ice cream container lid looking like the side of the tank.

You don't have to go a full wrecked vehicle or something. You could make out its been annilated and there are only a few bits left.

I am making a cardboard rectangle, with paper mache creater, then just random tank bits. takes maybe a hour to make, looks fine, can use it on a table for terrain at a later date.
Assaultguardsman
QUOTE(Durkah @ Nov 13 2010, 06:23 PM) *

Cardboard, + spare tank parts. maybe another piece of carboard/ice cream container lid looking like the side of the tank.

You don't have to go a full wrecked vehicle or something. You could make out its been annilated and there are only a few bits left.

I am making a cardboard rectangle, with paper mache creater, then just random tank bits. takes maybe a hour to make, looks fine, can use it on a table for terrain at a later date.

My reading was 'a similar sized model'. So a crater won't really cut it, I don't think. I suppose you could model up a vague silhouette from plasticard/cardboard, but that's still kinda borderline. And what about the commander? Especially for 'nid players, or Tau players without ethereals? Chaos players with GD's? I can't think of an easy solution, short of borrowing models.

Ruleslawyer
Paperhammer 40K look it up
Fuggorf
Will both the "same base as your commander" model, and the "troop transport" model be used in the same mission, or can I bring one model to use as both of these if it fulfills all the req's?

fort1tude
one can be used as both.

the HQ and the transport requirements are for 2 different missions
Mike the Donkey
So can the model be 'anything'? Will it have to take up the same base size or does it have to take up roughly the same 3D space? These are important questions that don't seem to have been answered.
Lives Irae
QUOTE(Mike the Donkey @ Nov 14 2010, 10:48 AM) *

So can the model be 'anything'? Will it have to take up the same base size or does it have to take up roughly the same 3D space? These are important questions that don't seem to have been answered.

To be fair, Ross was pretty clear that the models could be cardboard circles and they would still work.
Mike the Donkey
Crater with wreckage it is...
bearstrangler
hi Guys

Approximately the same space for convienience sake. Rules wise they will use their center for any measurement, and LOS will not be blocked by the vehicle cut out or whatever it is you choose to use/abuse.

Cheers

Ross

QUOTE(Mike the Donkey @ Nov 14 2010, 10:48 AM) *

bearstrangler
The only requirement for the HQ,

is that it is the same base size as your current commander

The model on the base can be conveniently themed or can be a grot on a megnob base, a flamer of tzentch on a greater daemon 60mm base etc, clearly stated in the player pack is a model on the same size "base" as your commander, it does not say another commander model.

Just read this (Haunted Forest)

Paint the silhouette of the rhino/chimera onto the forest and you are done, it will almost fit the mission too

nuff said.

Cheers

ross
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.