Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [40k] The Swordwind rises once more!
WargamerAU Forums > The Hobby > Painting, Modelling and Terrain > Modelling Diaries
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Asher
Hi Everyone!

My name is Asher, you may remember me from diaries such as Leapin' and Hoppin' on a Warpshadow, Death Heffalumps, My Swordwind and most importantly Putting all my chump friends to shame.

This diary will be a sort of follow on from the Swordwind plog as I intend to take Eldar to ][con this year. Teaming up with my is my good mate Strat, who you may know on the boards as zetaplus who has totally put models to gether and undercoated them in both Space Puppy and Titan flavours. As you may notice, he doesn't do a lot of painting, so a Tournament 2 months from know seems like a good way of modivating the slack arse to get some paint on models! Naturally he has chosen ORKS as he is an uncouth barbarian.

Now, on with the show!

My biggest hurdle with my Eldar is the Troops choices. They're also what killed my enthusiasm for the project last time. I'm going Biel-Tan Swordwind, so all aspect warriors all the time and the prospect of painting 20 Dire Avengers and making both units look unique did not overly appeal. So, for this time around, I'm going to limit myself to one unit of Avengers and take some Rangers to fill out my second troops (if I can find them).

PICTUARS!

IPB Image
Bases!

I've sculpted up a set of 15 in the style of the ones I did for my previous Eldar models. I'm going to make a mould today and hopefully I'll be able to cast up enough for the entire army.

IPB Image
The five Eldar I already have painted. . . I dunno how many of them will even make it into my ][con list.

IPB Image
A Dire Avenger. He is ugly and I hate him. I credit him with the complete destruction of my resolve to paint an Eldar army.

IPB Image
Aaaaand finally my Farseer. Not sure whether I'll take him or the Avatar this time around. I may get around to finishing him some day.
zetaplus
FW Avatar IMO. Also, ORKS!

IPB Image
Asher
Nice post jerk. Where's the rest of your stuff?
Wobbie
I am interested to see how this works out. If your mould works, maybe you could make enough extra bases for Strat's Orks for army cohesion. What story are you going with to bring the orks and elder together (maybe take inspiration from DOW 1). It could be worse, you could be allying Chaos and Grey Knights.
Wobbie
Also more fire dragons and striking scorpions...
tenabrae
I assume strat's army will have some sort of homosexual theme ?
zetaplus
QUOTE(tenabrae @ Oct 9 2011, 03:50 PM) *

I assume strat's army will have some sort of homosexual theme ?

The Troll King strikes! Oh noes! LOL Mick you imbecile biggrin.gif
Asher
QUOTE(Wobbie @ Oct 9 2011, 03:39 PM) *

I am interested to see how this works out. If your mould works, maybe you could make enough extra bases for Strat's Orks for army cohesion. What story are you going with to bring the orks and elder together (maybe take inspiration from DOW 1). It could be worse, you could be allying Chaos and Grey Knights.

That's what I was thinking. Basic justification so far is that The Eldar have been fighting the Orks to try to clear them off a maiden world but a new greater threat shows up! So the Eldar start manipulating the Orks into fighting against this greater threat.

I like the idea of basing both armies the same way, but Strat's against it because he is stupid.
zetaplus
QUOTE(Asher @ Oct 9 2011, 04:22 PM) *

That's what I was thinking. Basic justification so far is that The Eldar have been fighting the Orks to try to clear them off a maiden world but a new greater threat shows up! So the Eldar start manipulating the Orks into fighting against this greater threat.

I like the idea of basing both armies the same way, but Strat's against it because he is stupid.

Why don't we base your army on Secret Weapon Bone Fields bases? They'll fit about as well as fairy Eldar bases polluting my dear orkses.
Asher
So you're invading my planet without stepping foot on it? Cool story bro.
zetaplus
QUOTE(Asher @ Oct 9 2011, 04:30 PM) *

So you're invading my planet without stepping foot on it? Cool story bro.

It's a maiden world, not a craftworld.

In more important news:

IPB Image
Asher
I have successfully achieved bases. Pictures to follow!
Asher
Rebuttal: Do my existing bases look like a craftworld you imbecile?
Eidolon
Well the minis look tops. So totally subbed on that part. 2ndly the banter is hilarious so doubly subbed!! armata_PDT_37.gif armata_PDT_14.gif armata_PDT_37.gif
Cave
The interesting part will be to see if you can get strat to paint his army in time, or will he have to go begging someone to lend him painted orcs.

zetaplus
QUOTE(Cave @ Oct 9 2011, 05:35 PM) *

The interesting part will be to see if you can get strat to paint his army in time, or will he have to go begging someone to lend him painted orcs.

I hate you so much right now, Cave tongue.gif
Asher
Casting is success!

Step 1: make the Mould:
IPB Image

Step 2: Admire the Mould!
IPB Image

Step 3: Apply resin vigorously to mould.
IPB Image

Step 4: Admire Bases!
IPB Image

I've got 25ish bases that cast well primed and drying as we speak. I should think about lists

I can't find my Rangers, which is providing me with no end of irritation.
tenabrae
QUOTE(zetaplus @ Oct 9 2011, 03:57 PM) *

The Troll King strikes! Oh noes! LOL Mick you imbecile biggrin.gif

I'm not hearing a no wink.gif
Cave
they are camouflaged and hiding from you.
Asher
I'm starting to think I might have given them to Matt and forgotten . . .

I'm currently getting a min unit of Scorpions together. Bases still drying.
Cave
QUOTE(Asher @ Oct 9 2011, 06:56 PM) *

I wouldn't be suprised.
FatDamien
Oh this is going to be goooooood.
*Grabs popcorn*
*Puts on 3D glasses*
Asher
So are you and Jamie grudging us or what? Are youafraid of an incompetent and someone who hasn't played the kayz since march?

My fist draft list looks like this:

Farseer (Someones got to be manipulating the Orks)

6 Infiltrating Scorpions (Cos Scorpions are cool)

6 Fire Dragons with Flamer on the Exarch (Because burning things is cool)

10 Dire Avengers in a serpent (Because I guess I gotta take some)

5 Rangers (if I can find any D:)

A Warp Hunter if Mitch lets me, other wise a Falcon.

I am painting bases right now!
FatDamien
I will wreck you, son. You've done been grudged.
Asher
So what you're saying is that you derive satisfaction from beating up the mentally disabled and their care workers?
Cave
Damn. I wish I had thought of that.
Picking an strat and his helper monkey would of been fun.
+ 1 to Damo

Asher
Well, I got a few bases painted and foliaged, in a process Damien has dubbed "planting the herb garden"

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'm going to prime the scorpions tonight and get stuck into them through the week.

p.s. Take that H scroll!
Cave
nice work, I think this batch of bases is better than the previous set. Its too bad your icon partner, won't make use of your excellent work.............

Asher
Well no one has accused him of having an abundance of sense.

Anyway, I have painted up a bunch more bases:
IPB Image

But I haven't vegetated them yet. That'll wait until I have figured out which models will go on them.

I have also worked on my Farseer a bit!
IPB Image

He is looking more like an actual model now.
zetaplus
Touching base with a quick update. I have not got too much done as I am coming down with whatever vile contagion is circulating around the populace of Melbourne at the moment, but I have made a start on my adventure towards horrific painting failure:

IPB Image

Expect more in the coming days as I flesh out my list and work out how to make paint travel from the pot onto my models!
Asher
That one Ork's looking OK I guess.

PAINT FASTER.
Castigo
I am coming down with whatever vile contagion is circulating around the populace of Melbourne at the moment

Herpes?

I have made a start on my adventure towards horrific painting failure:

YOU CAN DOO EEEEEEEEETTT! biggrin.gif

work is looking good guys. Looking forward to seeing it at Icon biggrin.gif

Cheers
Wobbie
QUOTE(Asher @ Oct 11 2011, 11:15 PM) *

That one Ork's looking OK I guess.

PAINT FASTER.

There is some green on one guy at the back as well.
Asher
Yeah but it doesn't look OK.

I did a bit more on my Farseer (pics later)

I'd forgotten how bad painting was for my sleeping habits.
Wobbie
Also. Asher, those bases and the mould to make them look tops. I would like to know more about what materials you used to make the mould and bases...
zetaplus
QUOTE(Wobbie @ Oct 12 2011, 09:20 AM) *

Also. Asher, those bases and the mould to make them look tops. I would like to know more about what materials you used to make the mould and bases...

Rob, the silicone is Pinkysil from Barnes, and pretty much any 2 part epoxy resin will do the job.
Waggerz
OK I have a plan for you guys... Stay with me here... (it might need polish)

In a galaxy far far away (in the fictional future) some Eldar was fightin some Ork.

Ork dies but as it dies it smashes a points ear good. So good in fact the Eldars breast plate goes flying and lands on the ork as it dies. Ork soul goes to soul gem, eldar soul goes to cry like baby.

Eldar see bad gem, but are desperate. They throw it in a Wraithlord/Wraithguard... Viola!!

Wraithboss is born!

Asher can orkify some sort of looted wraithguard, counts as warboss for the orks. Armies are now allied.

Im genios.

Image from google image search:
http://newlag.com/
IPB Image

Waggerz
and if Asher builds it, it's one less model strat has to think about.
EmpireGuard
QUOTE(Asher @ Oct 9 2011, 06:56 PM) *

Nope not me you did give me a few old metal Dire Avengers but that's about it (well eldar wise).

So are you going to be painting some red on a falcon? you know so it can go faster.
skalathrax
im simply here to reinforce the feelings of failure ur having........... when's icon 4 of dec? hmmmmm tick tock
skalathrax
ps i like ur bases
zetaplus
Got a couple of PMs asking about my cut down trukk of doom, so here are some pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image
Asher
Live , goddamn you thread LIVE!

So, it's just under a month to ][con, so how are things going? uhhhh Okish? Maybe?

I've finished educating 1st years in a practical sense at Latrobe for the year so I've got a lot more free time on my hands!

Look up my works ye mighty and critique!

IPB Image
IPB Image

A finished unit! I smashed out the fire Dragons in 3 days and had a lot of fun doing it. I havn't bothered with the gems yet, so they're technically *not* finished, but I'm pretending they are for the moment.

IPB Image
IPB Image

The farseer is close to done. he needs to be all gem'd up as well. Also have his bangles painted and his leather highlighted.

IPB Image
I'm working on the Scorpions at the moment as I think they'll be more fun to paint.

IPB Image

I'm struggling to work up a couple of different colour schemes for the 2 shrines of Dire Avengers I'm going to take.

IPB Image

I've got my Falcon primed and ready to start painting. Some guy called mousemuffins is going to show me how to airbrush it.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Evil on two legs, my Wasp Assautl walkers! Not sure yet whether I'm gonna take them as War Walkers or Wasps. I've taken them as Wasps in two trial games and they have done super well. The flexibility of massed S6 shooting or a 30" assault threat range has been geat. In one game they tied up a blob of guardsmen for several turns before eventually getting melta bombed to death while in the other they shot a doomed Daemon Prince to death (with some help) before jumping 24" away from the scary dreadnaughts that were coming after them. They then kicked over a predator and assaulted some Thousand Sons off an objective. I'm not sure whether I'd class them as broken, but the 24" move is amazing.

IPB Image

I also got my Warp Hunter together. I'm almost certainly not going to bring him to ][con, but it's a damn nice model.
Asher
Oh, and don't even ask what that Strat jerk is up too. I think he's doing Necrons now or something.
Rusty Magos
Those Eldar look amazing! Brilliant work! Looking forward to seeing some paint on those orks as well!
Asher
Cheer dude! I don't think you'll be seeing any paint on the Orks any time soon. Strat has got the necron fever good and proper. D:

I have been working away and here are the results:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I've got the first 6 Scorpions mostly finished. Again I'm leaving the gems until later because I'm lazy.

IPB Image
The Falcon's got some airbrush lovin. I think it's a little too dark at this point. I'll see what I can get craig to do to it tomorrow. The Wasps are also due for some Airbrushing as well!

IPB Image
IPB Image

A minor miracle has occured! I have painted a Dire Avenger I don't hate! I'm happy with how most of it has come out, though I havn't highlighted the black or done thegems yet. AS you can see from the banners I've been fiddling with what designs to do. I think I made the Biel Tan symbol way too fat, and I'm not sure whether I want to do the Thorns in white or black. Comments or opinions would be great!

And finally: Here is the little army as it stands:
IPB Image

Yeah I got some work to do . . .
FatDamien
biel tan symbol IS too fat. Dire Avenger could stand to have some stripes in his plume if you know what I mean.
Scorps look great BUT the undersides of their chainswords aren't done and we can't have that. Keep going! Only 20 more days until you have to pull out of ][con due to strat's incompetence!
Asher
QUOTE(FatDamien @ Nov 15 2011, 02:01 PM) *

biel tan symbol IS too fat. Dire Avenger could stand to have some stripes in his plume if you know what I mean.
Scorps look great BUT the undersides of their chainswords aren't done and we can't have that. Keep going! Only 20 more days until you have to pull out of ][con due to strat's incompetence!

I was considering striping the plumes. Thoughts on colour?

As for not painting the underside of the Chainswords, well . . . I learn from the best tongue.gif.
EmpireGuard
QUOTE(FatDamien @ Nov 15 2011, 02:01 PM) *

Scorps look great BUT the undersides of their chainswords aren't done and we can't have that.

Hello Pot tongue.gif

Looking good so far Asher keep it up.
Cave
not much action from your teammate. How his side of this little project going?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.