Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting the models on their bases
WargamerAU Forums > Wargaming Down Under > Other games > Guild Ball
Xiconia
Hi debated whether to but this here or in modelling but I think this may apply to just Guild ball minis.

I am used to GW products where the tab at the bottom of the model is a tight fit into the base, meaning a little glue and its a nice solid fit.

With my guild ball models the tab at the bottom of the model is say 1mm think and the base insert is 3mm think. As I have put together models like Stave and Casket they are quite solid so would like their fir to the base to be strong.

How are you guys going about getting your models on the bases?

My initial idea was to plug the base insert with GW liquid Greens stuff then add the model in. Would that provide a solid base?

Other Idea was to cut the tab and pin up through the models leg and then a hole in the base for it to slot into. Problem here is I now have a large rectangular whole in my base!!!

Any solutions appreciated

fued
i got some blank bases, and pinned them into them without the tab
Orange-Bell
If you're going to texture your base, just cut a piece of paper to be a bit bigger than the hole and glue it down. Once the texture goes on you won't notice. Then remove the tab and pin it.
Xiconia
Pinned down the 4 big models and the cat in my Brewers.

Friday and spigot have there legs in an awkward positions so I might see what I can do for those two. Might try the green stuff idea

Thanks for the help
Harbinger666
I used my cutters to bend the tab into a S kind of shape so that it is a tight fit in the slot then once glue dried filled gap with greenstuff
Micky
QUOTE(Harbinger666 @ Jan 8 2016, 01:49 PM) *

I used my cutters to bend the tab into a S kind of shape so that it is a tight fit in the slot then once glue dried filled gap with greenstuff

Yeah this works really well.
Xiconia
OK next big Question! How do you get Ghast onto his base! His pose has it so its impossible not to position him without a leg on the raised area of the base
Reynastus
QUOTE(Xiconia @ Jan 14 2016, 07:25 PM) *

OK next big Question! How do you get Ghast onto his base! His pose has it so its impossible not to position him without a leg on the raised area of the base

Having the foot on the big edge of the base isn't really that much of an issue. It is fairly common for models to hang over a bit.

So cover the hole in the base. Green stuff or thin card from a cereal box works a treat and the card is cheaper than green stuff.

Trim the slotter thing off the model.

I usually decorate my base at this point with whatever theme I am going for. There are heaps of tutorials out there on ways to do this.

Fix with pin.

Honestly I don't even pin all the time (unless there is a really good reason to - Standing on one foot with minimal glue area for example, not a problem with most larger models) I usually find that gluing down the model ontop of the sand/grit/texture pre painting is enough to hold the model in place.

Hope this helps

Rey
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.