Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2017 40K Friendly Doubles(?)
WargamerAU Forums > Tournaments and Conventions > ACT tournaments and conventions > CanCon
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Psuedo
Come one, Come all and see how it's done.

We all like to meat new people, right? Well, Teabags Inc. is pleased to announce we are running the 2017 event as Doubles. Some of you out there are saying "my bestie like's to play another Udder System" or " he just got married" or "he is having another baby", well have no fear cause you don't need to organize your own partner we will do that for you. Yes you heard right we will do it for you. "That's amazing, but whats the catch?" Yes, ok you got me, Here is the catch:

-Your army is 743 points.
-Your Army is to be a Primary Detachment Only or Unbound with a single Warlord or a Fruity Variant
-Your Army must have at least 11 models
-You may not have Super-Heavies or Gargants or 30K units.
-You may have Imperial Armour Units if the have the big rubber stamp (40k Approved)
-You have to fill each available slot before choosing a second of the same type ie, must have 1 HQ, 1 Troops, 1 Fast Attack 1 Heavy Sport and 1 Elite before choosing a 2nd unit from any slot.
-All armies on a team are treated as "Allies of Convenience" regardless of Faction.

***We are now accepting team entry's**** Each team must be identifiable, ie Both wearing a Fez or Hawaian Shirts or Sombreo's. The Team entered Lists will be scrutinized a bit more carefully, to ensure you are playing fair.

I am limiting this fun to Saturday and Sunday only.
5 Games, 3 on Day 1, 2 on Day 2.

Player Pack

Entry Page

Terrain is of course welcome.

Current Players are
-This Guy - Ogryns
-Sean - SM (Ultramarines)
-Kriston - BA
-Kane - BA
-Dave - BA
-Alex M - Genestealer
-Shane T - Orks
-Alex C - Jean Stealers
-Sharon - Tyranids
-Colin M - Durty Chaos.
-Ben M - BA without Ma Fiston
-Ryan B- Sons of Orararrarar
-Reilly S- IG/Am
-Tim W- 1K Sons
-Brendan R- Eldars
-Ian B - Space Marines
-Michael B - Dirt People
-Geoff N & -Zoran T- Team Sheep Stations.
-Nicholas S- AM/IG
-Paul N & Andrew S- Red Scorpions & Benders
-Rowan N & -Jason M - Ta-Tu

Lists not Received.

2Shan
we'll be bringing 5 tables and scenery as usual (unfortunately my new Tau Table probably won't be done in time.)

Armies as Follows :

Kane - Blood Angels
Dave - Blood Drinkers
Me - Fleshtearers OR DeathCompany Themed Blood Angels (still thinking.....)

depending on whats on instore I may be able to loan out some extra tables worth of scenery as well - will let you know as soon as I nail down January's events.
Psuedo
This is the sort of Keen-ness i like.

We are battling for Real Estate, same as usual , so if you are thinking about entering, please get on and do so.

Please get your friends also to come play, the earlier you enter the better the chance of not playing with or against your friends.

Will post up 1 of the missions to give you and idea of what to plan for.
It is with great sadness I Announce will will not be playing the "The Darkness" mission.

All hail the Beige.
Navarre
I have a thought about a this, someone in the Uk ran something like this but you changed partners every game.
Fuggorf
So you're running a doubles event, a primary attraction of which is playing kays alongside a mate, and you're not letting us pick our partners?
ThatWallyGuy
Can I ask why that point cost?

I only ask as my current Genestealer Cult list for the 750 area sits at 746

But then again I could drop one neophyte and all would be G..

that is also based on if there was still places available in December
Psuedo
QUOTE(Fuggorf @ Oct 4 2016, 06:56 PM) *

So you're running a doubles event, a primary attraction of which is playing kays alongside a mate, and you're not letting us pick our partners?

For a small fee i can ensure your Bestie/wife/life partner plays 40Hammers with or against you every game.

Psuedo
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Oct 5 2016, 10:23 AM) *

Can I ask why that point cost?

I only ask as my current Genestealer Cult list for the 750 area sits at 746

But then again I could drop one neophyte and all would be G..

that is also based on if there was still places available in December

The story as to how i got to that points cost involves a house brick, a bath robe, a noisy neighbor and a saucy wind.
What i 1 less neophyte littering the battlefield with his/her lifeless corpse?
armata_PDT_01.gif
I hope you get your ducks in line before december tho

QUOTE(Navarre @ Oct 4 2016, 10:56 AM) *

I have a thought about a this, someone in the Uk ran something like this but you changed partners every game.

Yep, you will be swapping tables and players every game, i ripped off that idea but removed the school yard pick and made it entirely random. Didn't feel that being picked last out of 3 players at a 40hammers event would do much for peoples "feelings".
ThatWallyGuy
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Oct 5 2016, 03:10 PM) *

I hope you get your ducks in line before december tho

I wont be in the country till December after this week
Navarre
Put me down again, I will be bring Eldar.
Asmodean
What do you mean by primary detachment? Is that meant to be a CAD or can I use a formation instead?
2Shan
Hey Scott, just to confirm - setup is Thursday this year but we're skipping Day One and running Saturday and Sunday?
Psuedo
QUOTE(Navarre @ Oct 24 2016, 01:03 PM) *

Put me down again, I will be bring Eldar.

Yep, you are on the list

QUOTE(Asmodean @ Oct 24 2016, 09:57 PM) *

What do you mean by primary detachment? Is that meant to be a CAD or can I use a formation instead?

Hiya, Yes to both. If using a formation you can only take stuff from 1 (one, single, uno) formation, not a formation and a HQ and an Elite.
Psuedo
QUOTE(2Shan @ Oct 25 2016, 07:43 AM) *

Hey Scott, just to confirm - setup is Thursday this year but we're skipping Day One and running Saturday and Sunday?

Such a clever guy, you really should manage something resembling a chain store.
Thursday = Public Holiday, set up day, I will be allocating our tables and getting some stuff ready.
Friday = Day 1, i will be wandering aimlessly and harrassing/pestering/annoying people. and doing set-up
Saturday = Special Guest, Major Shennaniganns
Sunday = Special Guest, General Tom Foolery
Asmodean
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Oct 27 2016, 08:41 AM) *

Hiya, Yes to both. If using a formation you can only take stuff from 1 (one, single, uno) formation, not a formation and a HQ and an Elite.

Now to fit a Tau formation into 743 points.

Will try and enter today.
Starfire
Im sure you can fit a tooled up Optimised Stealth Cadre into 750pts.
Asmodean
QUOTE(Starfire @ Oct 28 2016, 12:55 PM) *

I can do a Retaliation Cadre. Its very bare bones but should be fun.
Psuedo
QUOTE(Starfire @ Oct 28 2016, 12:55 PM) *

Bah go the Allied Advance Cadre.
Bagration
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Oct 5 2016, 03:05 PM) *

For a small fee i can ensure your Bestie/wife/life partner plays 40Hammers with or against you every game.

Is this beer coupons or M&M's as the fee? My long time doubles compatriot and I are signing up for this as a 'bringing the band back together' thing. Just so long as we can indeed pair up for the tourney biggrin.gif
andrewthotep
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Oct 5 2016, 03:10 PM) *

Yep, you will be swapping tables and players every game, i ripped off that idea but removed the school yard pick and made it entirely random. Didn't feel that being picked last out of 3 players at a 40hammers event would do much for peoples "feelings".

Sorry, just to confirm for my fellow hard-of-reading folks - we don't get to keep our doubles homies for the whole tourney? The pair-ups are reassigned for each round?
Psuedo
QUOTE(Bagration @ Nov 4 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Is this beer coupons or M&M's as the fee? My long time doubles compatriot and I are signing up for this as a 'bringing the band back together' thing. Just so long as we can indeed pair up for the tourney biggrin.gif

Beer coupons work just fine. I have had a few enquiries about set in stone partners, and i am looking to see if i can actually do this and still make the spirit of meating new people work.
At this stage i can ensure you are on the same table but not on the same side.
Psuedo
QUOTE(andrewthotep @ Nov 5 2016, 05:05 PM) *

Sorry, just to confirm for my fellow hard-of-reading folks - we don't get to keep our doubles homies for the whole tourney? The pair-ups are reassigned for each round?

Yes you have read this correctly , but there is talk of adjusting this.
Without going to deeply into this, my concept is to meat new people and have odd armies match up on the table. Also i hate travelling 800kms, to play against the guy i live 10kms from.
2Shan
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Nov 8 2016, 08:58 AM) *

Yes you have read this correctly , but there is talk of adjusting this.
Without going to deeply into this, my concept is to meat new people and have odd armies match up on the table. Also i hate travelling 800kms, to play against the guy i live 10kms from.

I resent that - I'm a delight! armata_PDT_14.gif
Psuedo
QUOTE(2Shan @ Nov 8 2016, 07:35 PM) *

I resent that - I'm a delight! armata_PDT_14.gif

Yes. Yes you are, but still doesn't mean i want to go all the way to Canberra to play you.
Gatherer
Hi guys! I am excited to take part in this cool event. I play Orkz. May be my friend will join with his Ultramarines.
One question – I have never participated in something like this (not only Friendly Doubles but Cancon too). So where should I buy a ticket? And do I need anything else?
Thanks! Look forward to it!
armata_PDT_36.gif
Psuedo
QUOTE(Gatherer @ Nov 13 2016, 10:05 AM) *

Hi guys! I am excited to take part in this cool event. I play Orkz. May be my friend will join with his Ultramarines.
One question – I have never participated in something like this (not only Friendly Doubles but Cancon too). So where should I buy a ticket? And do I need anything else?
Thanks! Look forward to it!
armata_PDT_36.gif

Yep, I sent you a PM. New players are welcome, under the proviso they have a basic grasp of the rules.
Player pack has a good list of what to bring.
Psuedo
Now with 100% more player pack.!

Link to Dropbox in OP
ThatWallyGuy
I have a question with the list building..

So thinking of coming with a Genestealer Cult list and have

Magus
Patriarch

2 units of genestealers

1 unit Acolytes

2 units of neophytes

As a CAD

Would this be legal?

Or not because I have 2 HQ and 2 Elites with no fast attack of heavy support?

The list is based on models i currently own (neophytes with be necromunda minis)
Psuedo
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Nov 20 2016, 03:40 AM) *

I have a question with the list building..

So thinking of coming with a Genestealer Cult list and have

Magus
Patriarch

2 units of genestealers

1 unit Acolytes

2 units of neophytes

As a CAD

Would this be legal?

Or not because I have 2 HQ and 2 Elites with no fast attack of heavy support?

The list is based on models i currently own (neophytes with be necromunda minis)

List Checking Committee has questions,
Are they full units of GS?
What gear do neophytes have?

This list may be accepted under Article 17, which states that non-conforming / meh lists will be accepted under the proviso that listee brings 1+ extra players, which are not already registered.

Psuedo
Update on Prizes, I have had an Imperial Knight gifted to our event so i reckon that will go to "Best Hobby-ist"

This will be a culmination of :
Well presented and/or converted Minis. (Sons of Sprue need not apply)
Top effort on Sportsmanship. (I helped a guy kill 1/3rd of my army)
Terrain support (i am sorry i could only bring 3 tables worth this year)
Objective markers matching army ( yes those Escher Gangers look good and worthy of objectifying)

I guess this makes the entry fee worthwhile.
ThatWallyGuy
Here is the full list

+++ Cancon (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2004) (741pts) +++

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Genestealer Cults - Codex v2000) (741pts) ++

+ HQ (200pts) +

········Magus (75pts) [2x Familiars, Mastery Level 2]

········Patriarch (125pts) [2x Familiars, Mastery Level 2]

+ Elites (224pts) +

········Purestrain Genestealers (112pts) [8x Purestrain Genestealer]

+ Troops (317pts) +

········Acolyte Hybrids (121pts) [4x Acolyte Hybrid]
············Acolyte Hybrid w/ Heavy Weapon [Autopistol, Heavy Rock Saw]
············Acolyte Leader [Close Combat Weapon, Hand Flamer]

········Neophyte Hybrids (91pts) [6x Neophyte Hybrid (Autogun), Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun), 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun)]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Heavy Weapon [Mining Laser]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Heavy Weapon [Heavy Stubber]
············Neophyte Leader [Bolt Pistol, Chainsword]

········Neophyte Hybrids (105pts) [Cult Icon, 6x Neophyte Hybrid (Autogun), 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun)]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Special Weapon [Flamer]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Special Weapon [Webber]
············Neophyte Leader [Autopistol, Power Pick]

Special note "proxies": the Acolytes with 'saws' will actually be plasma cannons that were put on backwards from Advanced Space Crusade, The 'Webber' will actually be a Meltagun
Psuedo
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Nov 23 2016, 09:02 PM) *

Here is the full list

+++ Cancon (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2004) (741pts) +++

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Genestealer Cults - Codex v2000) (741pts) ++

+ HQ (200pts) +

········Magus (75pts) [2x Familiars, Mastery Level 2]

········Patriarch (125pts) [2x Familiars, Mastery Level 2]

+ Elites (224pts) +

+ Troops (317pts) +

········Acolyte Hybrids (121pts) [4x Acolyte Hybrid]
············Acolyte Leader [Close Combat Weapon, Hand Flamer]

········Neophyte Hybrids (91pts) [6x Neophyte Hybrid (Autogun), Neophyte Hybrid (Lasgun), 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun)]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Heavy Weapon [Mining Laser]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Heavy Weapon [Heavy Stubber]
············Neophyte Leader [Bolt Pistol, Chainsword]

········Neophyte Hybrids (105pts) [Cult Icon, 6x Neophyte Hybrid (Autogun), 2x Neophyte Hybrid (Shotgun)]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Special Weapon [Flamer]
············Neophyte Hybrid w/ Special Weapon [Webber]
············Neophyte Leader [Autopistol, Power Pick]

Special note "proxies": the Acolytes with 'saws' will actually be plasma cannons that were put on backwards from Advanced Space Crusade, The 'Webber' will actually be a Meltagun

Commitee has agreed that this will need an Article 17 exception to be allowed to run. smile.gif
ThatWallyGuy
I may just have someone.

Will confirm when Iam in the country next week
Psuedo
QUOTE(Bagration @ Nov 4 2016, 03:01 PM) *

We are now allowing "teams" to be entered or you can still be randomly assigned a team mate.
All armies regardless of faction are treated as "allies of convenience". This will ensure the level of shenanniganns will be kept to a dull roar, not a high pitched whining.

MarineLizard
Excellent choice, sir!

I've just notified my potential partner of this change.
Psuedo
QUOTE(MarineLizard @ Nov 29 2016, 09:27 AM) *

Excellent choice, sir!

I've just notified my potential partner of this change.

I am all about listening to what the peasents players are saying smile.gif

QUOTE(Fuggorf @ Oct 4 2016, 06:56 PM) *

We are now!
Navarre
Hey guys,

here is my proposed list for CanCon

Ahriman (on foot)

Rubric Marines x 9 (no upgrades)

Scarab Occult Terminators x 5 (no upgrades)

Pretty simple.

Psuedo
QUOTE(Navarre @ Dec 4 2016, 10:44 AM) *

Hey guys,

here is my proposed list for CanCon

Ahriman (on foot)

Rubric Marines x 9 (no upgrades)

Scarab Occult Terminators x 5 (no upgrades)

Pretty simple.

PM Sent.

If you have entered and you are not listed on the OP please contact me.

Also if entering as a "team" please indicate who your partner is or send your lists together.

ThatWallyGuy
So I have gotten 2 people to say they are coming =D

Also made a slight change to my list will PM ya in a sec
Psuedo
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Dec 7 2016, 05:07 PM) *

So I have gotten 2 people to say they are coming =D

Also made a slight change to my list will PM ya in a sec

Please get yourself entered so i can snaffle some more floor space.
ThatWallyGuy
So are there going to be 2 guys names Alex playing Genestealers?
Kev
I was thinking of entering this event at Cancon this year, as I am not a very competitive player and I have not played much 7ed 40K after having a break for 2 years. I understood the rules were to encourage a fun, non competitive play style. Now I have some concerns.

1. I would understand making some exceptions for permanent teams if one player is inexperienced and will need assistance. I see arranged teams as being able to cover each other's army deficiencies giving non arranged teams a disadvantage.

2. Most people will now enter as a team, leaving few if any singles, to be randomly paired up each game. Unfortunately, most of the people I could invite are entering the competitive singles tournament or would not be keen to travel from Sydney for the event.

3. Allowing any list to be accepted if you can bring a friend, also encourages spam lists, while others will have to abide by the army selection rules you have outlined, which I believe you have purposely made to prevent that.
I have been struggling to make a reasonable Tyranid list at 743 pts, due to the high cost of HQs and synapse creatures, I don't think it is fair that people who can bring a friend should have free reign with their list. If they don't like it, they should go play the competitive tournament.

Shazza

Psuedo
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Dec 8 2016, 06:36 PM) *

So are there going to be 2 guys names Alex playing Genestealers?

depends, are you the Alex who has entered?
Psuedo
QUOTE(Kev @ Dec 8 2016, 09:46 PM) *

I was thinking of entering this event at Cancon this year, as I am not a very competitive player and I have not played much 7ed 40K after having a break for 2 years. I understood the rules were to encourage a fun, non competitive play style. Now I have some concerns.

1. I would understand making some exceptions for permanent teams if one player is inexperienced and will need assistance. I see arranged teams as being able to cover each other's army deficiencies giving non arranged teams a disadvantage.

2. Most people will now enter as a team, leaving few if any singles, to be randomly paired up each game. Unfortunately, most of the people I could invite are entering the competitive singles tournament or would not be keen to travel from Sydney for the event.

3. Allowing any list to be accepted if you can bring a friend, also encourages spam lists, while others will have to abide by the army selection rules you have outlined, which I believe you have purposely made to prevent that.
I have been struggling to make a reasonable Tyranid list at 743 pts, due to the high cost of HQs and synapse creatures, I don't think it is fair that people who can bring a friend should have free reign with their list. If they don't like it, they should go play the competitive tournament.

Shazza

Point 1. Some people like to play with their friends and others don't. I will be "scrutinizing" both lists to see if they are "covering each others back". If they are i will be politely asking them to adjust their list. Also each Game has 2 missions, Grab the player pack, so each player will be doing her/his own thing.

Point 2. I have got 7 players already entered, with 4 more dilly-dallying, as singles and want to play the random hook-up method.

Point 3. We are all struggling to make reasonable lists, I am forced to use Ogryns. I assume you are referring to Article 17, in which case the list WallGuy posted was bounced and he has adjusted it to make it a bit more fluffy. If you take a "theme" list ie. only using Warrior Genus or 25mm bases creatures flick it to me PM style and i will have a look. Ripper Bases & Flying Rippers & Spore Mines. Also you don't have to have a HQ, can just have Troops, Elite, Heavy & Past Attack. Just gotta have 11 models.
ThatWallyGuy
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Dec 9 2016, 10:21 AM) *

depends, are you the Alex who has entered?

Well i paid last night but I am Alex C
ThatWallyGuy
QUOTE(Kev @ Dec 8 2016, 10:46 PM) *

I have been struggling to make a reasonable Tyranid list at 743 pts, due to the high cost of HQs and synapse creatures.

Shazza

Hey Kev/Shazza

Here is a quick list I did up for Tyranids at 743

+++ Nid (Warhammer 40,000 7th Edition v2012) (740pts) +++

++ Combined Arms Detachment (Tyranids: Codex (2014) v2002) (740pts) ++

+ HQ (150pts) +

········Tyranid Prime (150pts) [Deathspitter, Lashwhip & Boneswords]

+ Elites (45pts) +

········Venomthrope Brood (45pts) [Venomthrope]

+ Troops (315pts) +

········Termagant Brood for Tervigon (120pts) [30x Fleshborer Termagant]

········Tervigon (195pts) [Scything Talons, Stinger Salvo]

+ Fast Attack (60pts) +

········Gargoyle Brood (60pts) [10x Gargoyle]

+ Heavy Support (170pts) +

········Exocrine (170pts)

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

With this you put the prime in the 30man gaunt squad for protection

And the tervigon can make more froends for you

Does lack some ranged fire power but in objective based games its should be fine.

Edit: quick thought with that list.. I wouldnt actually take the lash/sword on the prime.. but take miasma canon on the tervigon
Psuedo
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Dec 9 2016, 11:07 AM) *

Well i paid last night but I am Alex C

Then we have 2 Alex's, Alexi(?) playing Jean Stealers

QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Dec 9 2016, 11:14 AM) *

Hey Kev/Shazza

+ HQ (150pts) +

+ Elites (45pts) +

+ Troops (315pts) +

+ Fast Attack (60pts) +

Does lack some ranged fire power but in objective based games its should be fine.

Edit: quick thought with that list.. I wouldnt actually take the lash/sword on the prime.. but take miasma canon on the tervigon

I approve of this product and/or service
Kev
Thanks, but I don't really dig the foot slogging. I will come up with something. My 1000pt list I am pretty happy With, I'm just finding it hard to cut down.
QUOTE(ThatWallyGuy @ Dec 9 2016, 12:14 PM) *

Hey Kev/Shazza

+ HQ (150pts) +

+ Elites (45pts) +

+ Troops (315pts) +

+ Fast Attack (60pts) +

ThatWallyGuy
Well a more mobile a lot less friendly option for nids

Flyrant 2xdev
2x12 devgaunt in Tyrannocytes
Excorine

But this list is a tad mean imo

Kev
Scott
I registered and paid last night. I will most probably be playing Tyranids, unless my SOB codex is updated before Christmas ( unlikely, but got to have faith).
Cheers Sharon Albery
QUOTE(Psuedo @ Sep 23 2016, 10:04 PM) *

Come one, Come all and see how it's done.

We all like to meat new people, right? Well, Teabags Inc. is pleased to announce we are running the 2017 event as Doubles. Some of you out there are saying "my bestie like's to play another Udder System" or " he just got married" or "he is having another baby", well have no fear cause you don't need to organize your own partner we will do that for you. Yes you heard right we will do it for you. "That's amazing, but whats the catch?" Yes, ok you got me, Here is the catch:

-Your army is 743 points.
-Your Army is to be a Primary Detachment Only or Unbound with a single Warlord or a Fruity Variant
-Your Army must have at least 11 models
-You may not have Super-Heavies or Gargants or 30K units.
-You may have Imperial Armour Units if the have the big rubber stamp (40k Approved)
-You have to fill each available slot before choosing a second of the same type ie, must have 1 HQ, 1 Troops, 1 Fast Attack 1 Heavy Sport and 1 Elite before choosing a 2nd unit from any slot.
-All armies on a team are treated as "Allies of Convenience" regardless of Faction.

***We are now accepting team entry's**** Each team must be identifiable, ie Both wearing a Fez or Hawaian Shirts or Sombreo's. The Team entered Lists will be scrutinized a bit more carefully, to ensure you are playing fair.

I am limiting this fun to Saturday and Sunday only.
5 Games, 3 on Day 1, 2 on Day 2.

Player Pack
Entry Page

Terrain is of course welcome.

Current Players are
-This Guy - Ogryns
-Sean - SM (Ultramarines)
-Kriston - BA
-Kane - BA
-Dave - BA
-Alex M - Genestealer
-Shane - TBA (oks Maybe)
-Alex C - Jean Stealers

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.