Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [40K] Snakebites
WargamerAU Forums > The Hobby > Painting, Modelling and Terrain > Modelling Diaries
Pages: 1, 2
Magnus
Well I have to admit that I was never, ever going to do orks again. I had a Blood Axe army of 3000 points and decided to sell it. I have however been swayed by the new plastic nobz, boyz and grots. They are a conversion nuts dream , with lots of options and spare parts etc. The snakebites will be very low tech, almost feral. They like to raise and herd grots,squigs and snotlings so there will be lots of these all over the place. Also lots of yellow, green and brown in the paint scheme.

So the skin color wont be green. I have done that. I wont be blue I have done that in C3,

IPB Image

So hence the York or Yellow skinned orks. I saw one on a blog recently and thought I want to do an army of Yellow skinned desert dwelling orks!!! Some sort of adaptation to the extreme desert condition has changed the green pigment to yellow.

So have a look at a test one. No highlighting, just based and dipped. Plus its a little brighter that shown.
I have it based on an old stretched out base, but will use a desert type base eventually.

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Comments?

See my list http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?...c=65935&hl=

Cheers
Arch_Magos_Kasen
Looks good. I think it looks a little high tech for a snakebite but thats personal taste. The metal on the axe looks wierd, almost like its been drybrushed grey, but I think that is just the photo.
Magnus
QUOTE(Magos_Kasen @ Jan 25 2009, 05:42 PM) *

Looks good. I think it looks a little high tech for a snakebite but thats personal taste. The metal on the axe looks wierd, almost like its been drybrushed grey, but I think that is just the photo.

I just had an old ork but the new snakebites wont have any axes with pipes etc. Just the good old fashion ones.
I was really trying to test the Yellow skin. I normally do NMM but with ork gear not sure yet. I'm still planning.
Kargan DaemonClaw
I think the photo makes the ork skin look too "human".

Much as you don't want to paint them green, after the 50000th question "why arn't your orks green, they look wierd" you will want to kill either yourself the army or the questioner.
AJ
I wouldn't care Bruce, he looks good, and as someone who has painted flesh-toned orks, I love alt. skin armies.

Does this mean a break from your Slaanesh wink.gif
Magnus
I'm sort of dong slaanesh painting and building orks. You see I'd rather model than paint so by making the orks gives me a break from painting.

Do you have any pics I could see of your orks. What color did you do? I think Yellow will be a nice change.

Cheers AJ
AJ
Nah this was about 9 years ago, I did them dwarf flesh/flesh wash/dwarf flesh highlight
Magnus
cheers anyway.

I will be dong them yellow.

Magnus
Here's another test ork, actually the free one they gave away with the WD.

The thing I like about yellow skin is that you can use green for the clothes and it stands out.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Its a bit shiny because I have been experimenting with army painter dips. They seem to be quite good but the last step is to spray with a matt finish, which I have yet to do.

does it work?
Buddha
The first test mini did not have me convinced... but that Nob looks bloody fantastic biggrin.gif

Nice work mate,

What about your Slaanesh tho?

Tom
Magnus
Hey Tom,

The idea is to paint the slaanesh while making a new ork army. You see I really do prefer to model rather than paint. I have been thinking of orks for a while ;-)

Cheers Bruce
Magnus
A test kommado snakebite style. I picture a lowtech , sneaky, keeping low to the ground ork. Almost sniffing the way!

I used kroot belt/knife, warhammer spear and 40k gun. The shield will be painted in mob colours. I need to add some feathers but forgot. I sort of like the warhammer legs as you get to some some skin colour.

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

any comments appreciated. The base is just a temp until I decide what to do.

BTW the metal kommados are nice models but I dont think they fit my snakebite theme, more of a Bloodaxe kommado. I do like snikrot but I will make my own version up I think based on his sculpt.

Cheers
Fuggorf
A liitle shiny...
waargh
QUOTE(Fuggorf @ Feb 1 2009, 03:20 PM) *

A liitle shiny...

They live in skum, what do you expect?
Deth67
Yay! Worlds first Ozzie orks. Ozzie ozzie ozzie! Waaaagh Waaaagh Waaaagh!.... sorry I thought it was funny armata_PDT_04.gif
Magnus
QUOTE(Deth67 @ Feb 1 2009, 06:37 PM) *

Yay! Worlds first Ozzie orks. Ozzie ozzie ozzie! Waaaagh Waaaagh Waaaagh!.... sorry I thought it was funny armata_PDT_04.gif

I didn't think of that! Lets hope they perform like Ozzies !

@Fuggorf, yeah its the army painter stuff. I will need to spray with a matt finish. Just testing things out.
MarkoftheRings
QUOTE(Magnus @ Feb 1 2009, 03:49 PM) *

I didn't think of that! Lets hope they perform like Ozzies !

You really want them to perform like Aussies/ Look at the lest cricket matches!

Nice to see a odd colored orks, not realy convinced though on the tone. WOuld look better not shiny, wil think again then.

MotR
Magnus
Well , Thought i'd better post some snakebitz.

some boyz, spears and things. Will add some more feathers etc

IPB Image

The prototype warbikes, need proper dakka guns and leather straps to hold em on to cold ones
IPB Image

A couple of sneaking kommados, one with cape made of dino skin (DE Corsairs cape) and kroot belt pack
IPB Image

and a warphead conversion next to a nobz for size comparison, Using plastic warboss from Blackreach. The head will be the hard bit , I suppose I can drill out the eyes , add some snakes and feathers etc, lots of fun converting as its not metal WAAGH
IPB Image
Magnus
One more of the warphead.

Eyes drilled out, added feathers and bstuffed the staff and arms. also added squashed grot

IPB Image
damnitsham
Nice to see a different color on the orks, and the dipping technique seems to do it justice.

I dare say that you should get a test mini varnished, as it will help peeps better understand what the finished product will be like wink.gif

Also like the warphead, looking forward to seeing him painted too...
Magnus
I will get a non shiny York soon. I have some matt spray but just need to get organised.

Had fun dong the warphead. I've been reading the fluff and see that snakebites have grot batterys of big guns so I'll have to add that in some how too.

Uber_Kroot
I really like the yellow skin and the warphead conversion is spot on... however did you consider the witch doctor mask for him (WHFB Wazag I think it was)?
Magnus
QUOTE(Uber_Kroot @ Feb 8 2009, 08:11 PM) *

did you consider the witch doctor mask for him (WHFB Wazag I think it was)?

Just had a look and its pretty cool. The feathers look very good

Cheers
Magnus
The stegadon conversion begins.

Well what a tiny stegadon! It looks quite big on the box but its small, about 8 cm long cf to BW at about 15cm. I want to use one as a BW so it needs to be bigger. I have a bw and could quite easliy have used that but I want to be in theme and low tech hence the idea to use a stegadon. So saw in half and stretch to about the same size (length and width) of the BW chasis.

The idea is to use bits from the BW kit to make a howdah for the BS and boyz to ride on. The final model should look like a steagdon that has been armoured up for transporting the boyz.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Next few steps are to sure up, add the tail and start adding the flesh on the sides. You wont see much of the top as it is covered by the howdah. I will make a GS mould to assist in getting the scales moulded up correctly.

Might also be easier to mount on a base, not sure though!

cheers
Magnus
I've changed my mind re this conversion. I've realised what I really need is one of these

IPB Image or this IPB Image

The squithoth used to be a heavy support option for the unsupported Feral Orks but it would make a very cool BW. I just cant get enough of the FW goodness wacko.gif
Firedrake
QUOTE(Magnus @ Feb 15 2009, 05:19 AM) *

I've changed my mind re this conversion. I've realised what I really need is one of these

IPB Image or this IPB Image

The squithoth used to be a heavy support option for the unsupported Feral Orks but it would make a very cool BW. I just cant get enough of the FW goodness wacko.gif

I like the one on the right - more dynamic and with the bigger tusks!

I'll throw my two cents in on the skin tone while I'm here as well...

I think the yellow looks good and is close enough to a green for even skeptical gamers to buy the pigment change idea. I've got to agree with the others about the shiny look prior to the matt finish - it took a while for me to work out what they looked like but I've remembered now. Ghostbusters II where they get slimed by protoplasm really badly and have it dripping off them everywhere! armata_PDT_14.gif

Seriously think the colour scheme looks good though.
Magnus
Well, its takes a while to make up a few orks (80+) so I have not had time to post. I have made up some big guns using BW bits and pieces. Mounted on 40mm base to help hold things together. I just need to get some crew, probably use new plastic gretchin and convert em up. Good fun making these as really anything goes.
I found a bag of metal grots so I will use these little dudes whenever I get the chance. One is holding a ram and I will put some on the zap gunz as well.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Next was to put the Warboss on his bike (or carnosaur) . He really looks the part, but I really hate making metal models even though I have a dremmel! WIP but just thought I'd post, needs GS leather straps and saddle finished, with an attack sguig somewhere. Ideal is to have him holding a bridle to steer the carnosaur.

IPB Image
IPB Image

and the other bikes almost finished.

IPB Image
IPB Image

My nobz are helped by a painboy and I thought a witch docktor would be in theme. So here he is.

IPB Image

I'm having trouble making up the teradons (deff copters) ,another metal model nightmare. But i'm getting there . I'll try and post them with there riders & TL rockets asap.

Cheers

ps

What do you think of using a stegadon for a warbuggy, with a driver, gunner with TL Rockets? I have a spare one, and they are about the size of a buggy. They are tiny.

Magnus
I've made up 2 deff copters, though are still WIPs

They fit the bill and look ok, but I really hate making up metal models. The rockets are from the stormboyz sprue. They are suppose to looks like they rockets are strapped on . The body is the gunner from the BW kit.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Next I'll try and make a stegadon warbuggy , with a driver and gunner. Should be fun, plus I need to try and use my spare stegadon for something. ;-)

Cheers
Magnus
Finished making up my WB "Gruzznutz". Added bridle and stirups. Just need to add an attack squig .
I'm thinking about making a cage and putting a squig hound inside and popping on the back of the carnosaur. I might replace the bosspole and but a banner on instead. Not sure yet.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I just need to make some more big gun crew and I can start painting. The BW conversion will be an ongoing project as I'm still waiting for the model to arrive.
Uber_Kroot
Great stuff there!! Though I think the deff copta needs a gretchin pilot, the poor birdy looks like it's gunna collapse!
Magnus
A Gretchin pilot would be a good idea, I was just worried someone might take my army too seriously if i did that ;-)

I might have a go at making one up though to see what it looks like.

Cheers
Magnus
I just thought I'd post some 'first cut' models to give the overall effect I'm after. The Yorks will be on swamp bases with bubbles of gas with dark green water with dry brushed soil and a little static grass. The idea is to use pretty earthy colors and try and get some green in there if I can, mainly thru the dino capes and dinosaurs. My camera is stuffed, it got sand in it so the focus is a bit off, sorry about that.

Comments on the overall effect would be good , but they have not had final highlights, finger nails painted, eyes etc.

Grots
IPB Image

Runta
IPB Image

Nobz with Kustom weapon
IPB Image

group shot ;-)
IPB Image

Cheers
Magnus
my 2 defkopters "WIP" flying high. Yes I know , they are shiny but the dino skin really suits the finish. I will matt varnish the boyz by hand soon and detail under wings etc
Plus I have to get some bases made up.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Magnus
Some big gunz for the snakebites. I'm waiting on some more grecthin to arrive so sorry for the duplicate crew. The dipping is working as expected and I quite like the yellow/brown finish.

Something happened when I sprayed them matt, the varnish started cracking,bugger must have been to cold.
Oh well I'll just scrap and paint them again.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Icedragon
I Wish I choose to do Orcs instead of chaos.
all-some-ness
Turbo_mmx
Im really loving the look of this army. Top notch stuff! Cant wait to see it finished biggrin.gif
Uber_Kroot
Really great work there - I like the big guns! And if you're getting a squiggoth you have to go the largest!!
Magnus
QUOTE(Uber_Kroot @ Mar 23 2009, 02:00 PM) *

And if you're getting a squiggoth you have to go the largest!!

Um, The nz dollar or the pacific paeso if just about worthless. It would cost me almost the cost of an entire army to get 1 large squiggoth armata_PDT_10.gif
but biggrin.gif that said I have considered it.

Magnus
Well, no large squiggoth so I must make do with a small one.

Some shots for checking size. Actually almost about the same size as a BW. I have some shot with orks for reference and the BW chassis as well. Have a look.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Next with the BW chassis
IPB Image

This shot shows what I intend to do, stretch the suiggoth somewhat longer. Probably add about 2 inches so it goes all the way to the back of the chassis. Its actually a very chunky model so will look ok. I will make the howdah longer and add some BS and crew. Might even put a deffrolla on for fun
IPB Image
Magnus
I cut the squiggoth in half and added some spaces (40mm bases stuck together) I screwed the spaces into each end and will glue together. This gives me the chance to position exactly so it sits flat and is all lined up correctly.

Next step is to GS up the around the spaces and make it look like its a brought one.

IPB Image
IPB Image

I think this will work out to be just the right size (same as a BW).
Magnus
I'm really excited about this conversion.

Here is a shot of the longer howdah, big shoota on front. I've run out of super glue and need to get some cheap filler for the top of the squiggoth. I put it matt that has cm on it, so the squigwagon is about 18cm long.

IPB Image
IPB Image
Magnus
A couple more shots, Almost ready to mount howdah and finish sides.

IPB Image
IPB Image

my baby squiggoth has grown up biggrin.gif
tintaman
damn that's one mighty fine looking squigoth you've got there, certainly looks the part now with the extra bulk and howdah.
Magnus
A big update

shoota boys
IPB Image

slugga boys
IPB Image

Warbikes
IPB ImageIPB Image

Deffkopters on finished bases
IPB Image

Warphead
IPB ImageIPB Image

Squigwagon
IPB Image

I think this would be easier to spray, black first then pickout the skin . I might get restless and just paint by hand though! I will put on grot riggers and landing nets/ladders later

Griddon
Love the army. the dipping seems to be working really nicely.

Did you find out what made the varnish crack? What a nightmare!
Magnus
QUOTE(Griddon @ Apr 10 2009, 06:53 PM) *

Love the army. the dipping seems to be working really nicely.

Did you find out what made the varnish crack? What a nightmare!

Cheers

I think they cracked because the dipping paint wasn't dry, or the cold temp when I varnished. Not sure but it hasn't happened again biggrin.gif
The Kodiak
this is a really cool looking army. the squigoth looks great, would love to see some pictures of its middle.

i love the warphead, iv seen a few attempts at weapons held high shouting but never seen it pulled off. but i think you've done it with the warphead, keep up the good work.
Magnus
QUOTE(LittleJohn @ Apr 11 2009, 11:14 AM) *

this is a really cool looking army. the squigoth looks great, would love to see some pictures of its middle.

i love the warphead, iv seen a few attempts at weapons held high shouting but never seen it pulled off. but i think you've done it with the warphead, keep up the good work.

Thanks LJ. The middle is just GS and I stamped it with a stegadon bit I had, sort of different size scales?

Here is is the painted squigwagon. Extreme highlights using green. It sort of suits I think. Lighting is terrible, but then so is my camera work.But hopefully you get the idea.

IPB ImageIPB Image

that was a nice break.

Now back to the boys,gretchin and bikes.
Magnus
Base coated and dipped my 5 bikes. I tried to paint a banner from the 2nd edition codex (yes I use to have 2nd edition orks, I even had a pulsa rocket;-)

Working on the warboss at the moment. Almost all based coated and dipped whole army. Next detailing and highlighting....

An ork army does take a long time, and I must admit if it wasn't for the blog I would probably have stopped..

IPB ImageIPB Image
Magnus
WB based coated and dipped.

Looks ok, He looks like he means business! just need to highlight etc. I've run out of scorched brown for the bases. Yikes amazing how much paint I've used on the bases.

IPB ImageIPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.